daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #561
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
What a BABY! Sorry, but it's "The Luke" and until now, I had NEVER heard of Lucoil. His quote that it doesn't sell one of his products is a kick in the face to the TAX PAYERS that sepnt $720 MILLION on this damn thing. We shouldbe able to callit whatever we effing want!
Are you serious? Calling it Lucas Oil Stadium is going to ruin your life??? This company paid a shitload of money to the Colts for this stadium...its not that hard to call it by its full name, is it????
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #562
aavmarine

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
Are you serious? Calling it Lucas Oil Stadium is going to ruin your life??? This company paid a shitload of money to the Colts for this stadium...its not that hard to call it by its full name, is it????
No it's noit going to ruin anyones life. But anyone that is defending all this, is either Lucas himself or his wife or someone that is working for him. I understand about the tv and conventions and other stuff. But please, just because you lived in Indiana way back when, but spent a good part of your life in Cali, now you think you can come back here and tell the people what to do or say. We don't work for him. We didn't sign any contract with him. And as far as his family not making a dime. Well, it looks like he is doing pretty good. I mean, blue sapphire's around a trash can. Come on...And if you want to get technical about all this and he demands me to call it "Lucas Oil Stadium" and by not some nickname he doesn't like because it will not make him money, then put us all on the payroll for sales. I mean, technically, by demanding us to do this, is free advertisment for him, right? By the way, has he and his wife moved their company to Indianapolis yet?

-Lt General Hal Moore
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #563
Mr Peanut

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
What a BABY! Sorry, but it's "The Luke" and until now, I had NEVER heard of Lucoil. His quote that it doesn't sell one of his products is a kick in the face to the TAX PAYERS that sepnt $720 MILLION on this damn thing. We shouldbe able to callit whatever we effing want!
Exactly, cry me a river. I've personally never called it The Luke, but I think I'll start now just because of this ridiculous whining.
Mr Peanut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #564
philaustin06

While I agree with you guys completely, Forrest Lucas did pay a staggering 121 Million dollars to put his company name on and around the stadium. Sure it was financed by our tax dollars, but respectively, this man has put a lot of money into the stadium, if he dosen't want us calling it by his competitors name, I would understand that.
philaustin06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #565
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by philaustin06 View Post
While I agree with you guys completely, Forrest Lucas did pay a staggering 121 Million dollars to put his company name on and around the stadium. Sure it was financed by our tax dollars, but respectively, this man has put a lot of money into the stadium, if he dosen't want us calling it by his competitors name, I would understand that.
I would not!
Old August 17th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #566
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Did anybody else go to the tours yesterday? I thought it was a huge cluster****. If you imagine what a stadium is like right after a game ends and everybody starts flooding the concourses, that's what it was like everywhere. Everywhere that was open, that is. For some reason, they were restricting access to huge parts of the stadium. Almost everything above the main-level concourse was closed. And there was almost no signage or people directing you where to go. In fact, I think the only signs I saw were "Access Restricted" or "Exit --->." They were basically saying stay out or leave.

Logistical nightmare though it was, the stadium is really amazing. I especially liked that you could walk almost right up to the point where the trusses are anchored in the main concourse (they put a small fence around it, probably just to make sure people don't climb on it). And they've got these huge ceiling fans on the concourses that blow an ENORMOUS amount of air. Very nice touch to keep everybody comfortable and they'll probably help with heating expenses.

We've got quite a gem there.
Old August 17th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #567
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
I am really going to miss the Dome. It's been an imposing part of our city's skyline for a quarter century and helped jumpstart Downtown into what it is today. Having attended many an event there, it just felt like home.
That is true, but people forgot about MSA pretty quickly when Conseco opened.

The Dome was an important part of Indy's history, but what is nice is that its site will not remain vacant for years and years.

And Conseco and the Luke were both built very near their predecessors, meaning that Indy's sport venues are still right downtown.
Old August 17th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #568
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

If Forrest Lucas wants the Colts' organization and local media to refer to the new stadium by its full name then OK, but to expect the average citizen in the course of casual conversation to do the same is ludicrous.

Most Americans have never heard of Lukoil, so just by bringing up the issue Lucas is doing his rival a big favor.

One final point: did Lucas pay the full $120 million for naming rights up front or will he pay on a per annum basis?
Old August 18th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #569
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
If Forrest Lucas wants the Colts' organization and local media to refer to the new stadium by its full name then OK, but to expect the average citizen in the course of casual conversation to do the same is ludicrous.

Most Americans have never heard of Lukoil, so just by bringing up the issue Lucas is doing his rival a big favor.

One final point: did Lucas pay the full $120 million for naming rights up front or will he pay on a per annum basis?
$6 million a year, for a total of 120 million spread over 20 years
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #570
Mr Peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Did anybody else go to the tours yesterday? I thought it was a huge cluster****. If you imagine what a stadium is like right after a game ends and everybody starts flooding the concourses, that's what it was like everywhere. Everywhere that was open, that is. For some reason, they were restricting access to huge parts of the stadium. Almost everything above the main-level concourse was closed. And there was almost no signage or people directing you where to go. In fact, I think the only signs I saw were "Access Restricted" or "Exit --->." They were basically saying stay out or leave.

Logistical nightmare though it was, the stadium is really amazing. I especially liked that you could walk almost right up to the point where the trusses are anchored in the main concourse (they put a small fence around it, probably just to make sure people don't climb on it). And they've got these huge ceiling fans on the concourses that blow an ENORMOUS amount of air. Very nice touch to keep everybody comfortable and they'll probably help with heating expenses.

We've got quite a gem there.
I agree with all the above. The tour was very poorly managed, but was a lot of fun despite it. I had a great time seeing the stadium, and I can't imagine that a better stadium exists anywhere right now. It is amazing!
Mr Peanut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #571
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

I went on the 10:00 tour on Saturday. It's definitely a building that fills you with pride if you're from the area and pumps you up if you're a Colts fan. I got the opportunity to shake Mr. Lucas's hand and talk with him and his wife a little bit. They seem like very genuine people and I'm glad the stadium name has a Hoosier connection.

The media should refer to the stadium by the proper name "Lucas Oil Stadium". That's what he paid for. As for me, I'll still refer to it as "The Luke". I doubt that will affect his sales much.

I loved seeing the stadium, but you're right about the organization. I waited 45 minutes to get up the escelator, but there wasn't anywhere to go once you got there. All in all, I love the stadium and can't wait to see the first Colts game in it this weekend!
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #572
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Bottom line: Hoosiers are going to shorten the name as much as possible. We're lazy talkers.

---

I went to the 6pm tour on Saturday. Conseco Fieldhouse is still nicer. It has an attention to detail and restrained taste that's missing at the Luke. The sheer amount of white-painted cinder block walls and budget-white drop-ceilings one sees everywhere at LOS is disgusting. There are little pockets of brick around the concession stands, but they're overwhelmed by all the concrete and cinder block. Conseco is nostalgia done right. Lucas Oil Stadium is trying too hard and isn't as classy.

Some of the sponsorship areas are great, others are horribly designed and poorly installed. There's a nice variety of restaurants with more choices than the Dome.

There are large crowd graphics everywhere that people were making fun of. They've blown up shots of people's faces during games and it looks like a blind man picked them out. People's eyes are closed or they look angry or bored. Not good when they're huge 3' heads.

The screens on each end are amazing. They're basically the biggest HD monitors you've ever seen. The seating bowl is amazing too. It's going to be a great place to watch a game.
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #573
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
I am dead serious! As mentioned here, of course it should be referred as "Lucas Oil Stadium" by the media, in print, etc, but for the average fan, he is an egomaniac. "The Luke" gives it an endering quality and in this world of constant advertising, a bit of a respite.
Old August 19th, 2008, 04:00 AM   #574
IndyYeah

Quote:
I am dead serious! As mentioned here, of course it should be referred as "Lucas Oil Stadium" by the media, in print, etc, but for the average fan, he is an egomaniac. "The Luke" gives it an endering quality and in this world of constant advertising, a bit of a respite.
WhiteSox Park in Chicago is US Cellular Field, fans call it "The Cell"
Old August 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #575
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
WhiteSox Park in Chicago is US Cellular Field, fans call it "The Cell"
They better not...people will probably assume that they are talking about that awful Jennifer Lopez movie.
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #576
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:

Good points, actually. Its one thing to ask the media to call it by its full name. Its another to ask the fans.
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #577
runwaydiva

To be honest I can't recall the last time I heard someone actually use "Indianapolis" instead of that "gross" four letter word-.... I.N.D.Y....(just my opinion) it just seems a little cheap.. sorry..
runwaydiva no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #578
aavmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
Bottom line: Hoosiers are going to shorten the name as much as possible. We're lazy talkers.

---

I went to the 6pm tour on Saturday. Conseco Fieldhouse is still nicer. It has an attention to detail and restrained taste that's missing at the Luke. The sheer amount of white-painted cinder block walls and budget-white drop-ceilings one sees everywhere at LOS is disgusting. There are little pockets of brick around the concession stands, but they're overwhelmed by all the concrete and cinder block. Conseco is nostalgia done right. Lucas Oil Stadium is trying too hard and isn't as classy.

Some of the sponsorship areas are great, others are horribly designed and poorly installed. There's a nice variety of restaurants with more choices than the Dome.

There are large crowd graphics everywhere that people were making fun of. They've blown up shots of people's faces during games and it looks like a blind man picked them out. People's eyes are closed or they look angry or bored. Not good when they're huge 3' heads.

The screens on each end are amazing. They're basically the biggest HD monitors you've ever seen. The seating bowl is amazing too. It's going to be a great place to watch a game.
Please, ablerock, tell us all how you would make it better than any other stadium? Especially, since it twice as big as Conseco. Since this stadium was open to the public, alot of people have complained about what ever. But, no one has ever said what they would do better. Why weren't any of you guy on the board of design back in 2004-05. You all seem to no everything about architecture, construction, interior and exterior design, planning an event, etc, etc.

-Lt General Hal Moore
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #579
philaustin06

Quote:
Originally Posted by aavmarine View Post
Please, ablerock, tell us all how you would make it better than any other stadium? Especially, since it twice as big as Conseco. Since this stadium was open to the public, alot of people have complained about what ever. But, no one has ever said what they would do better. Why weren't any of you guy on the board of design back in 2004-05. You all seem to no everything about architecture, construction, interior and exterior design, planning an event, etc, etc.
dude every single post of yours that ive read has been negative and rude. Not everyone is going to like the stadium, this a message board and everyone has their own opinion, realize that or else you're going to be wasting a lot of time trying to figure out how to insult everyone.
philaustin06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:36 AM   #580
aavmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by philaustin06 View Post
dude every single post of yours that ive read has been negative and rude. Not everyone is going to like the stadium, this a message board and everyone has their own opinion, realize that or else you're going to be wasting a lot of time trying to figure out how to insult everyone.
I'm sorry, how many post of mine are negative and rude? I understand not every one is going to like the stadium. But when you have spent time helping build this stadium, and also have friends who have helped build this stadium, then you don't take criticism to good. I also undetstand not everything is going to be 100% perfect. But people have been there one time and some are very negative. Not just on this site, but other ones too.

-Lt General Hal Moore

Tags
indianapolis