daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2008, 03:55 AM   #581
pig
oink^

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
They better not...people will probably assume that they are talking about that awful Jennifer Lopez movie.
I always thought "The Cell" was a perfect name for a building designed to hold White Sox fans.
pig no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #582
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

You got that right, pig.
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #583
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aavmarine View Post
I'm sorry, how many post of mine are negative and rude? I understand not every one is going to like the stadium. But when you have spent time helping build this stadium, and also have friends who have helped build this stadium, then you don't take criticism to good. I also undetstand not everything is going to be 100% perfect. But people have been there one time and some are very negative. Not just on this site, but other ones too.
No one is putting down the guys, such as yourself, that helped build the stadium. As a matter of fact, 95% of the comments on this board have been very positive. ablerock just pointed out that he wished they didn't use so many drop ceilings and put a little more color on the walls. I would imagine the ever rising price tag on the stadium is what made those decisions
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #584
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

I wonder how much money I've put toward this stadium in the form of restaurant taxes....
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #585
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig View Post
I always thought "The Cell" was a perfect name for a building designed to hold White Sox fans.
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #586
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Old August 21st, 2008, 04:29 AM   #587
IndyYeah

That is that guy named Lague or something like that. Jumped Tom Gamboa? Same incident. All over the headlines a few years ago, and heard his name in the past year or so.
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:47 AM   #588
pig
oink^

I almost held that back because of the Gamboa thing. Sox fans don't deserve to be associated with the Ligues. Anyway, the proper riposte would have been to associate our building a giant barn with our ranking on those damned fattest states lists.
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:57 PM   #589
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig View Post
I almost held that back because of the Gamboa thing. Sox fans don't deserve to be associated with the Ligues. Anyway, the proper riposte would have been to associate our building a giant barn with our ranking on those damned fattest states lists.
1. That happened in 2002. There have been a few other incidents on the other side of town since then.

2. Since I am from Indiana, ripping my home state would definately not be the 'proper riposte'.
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:48 PM   #590
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aavmarine View Post
I'm sorry, how many post of mine are negative and rude? I understand not every one is going to like the stadium. But when you have spent time helping build this stadium, and also have friends who have helped build this stadium, then you don't take criticism to good. I also undetstand not everything is going to be 100% perfect. But people have been there one time and some are very negative. Not just on this site, but other ones too.
Hey bro, I'm not ripping on the people who built the place at all. Please don't take it personally. I can understand your attachment to the project, as you spent so much time and energy there. You should all be proud of the work you put into the place. It's an amazing structure and feat of engineering. I'm definitely proud of all the hoosiers who sweat putting that building together. Thanks!

If it makes you feel any better, the 3 friends I went with were creaming themselves while we toured it.

My critiques are pointed at the people up top who made the design decisions, not the people who executed those decisions.

I'm a designer. My mind is trained to pay attention to details and focus the way things work together, from way-finding signage and typeface choices, to the shape of interior spaces and the color of the walls. I have high standards. I hold everything in Indy up to the standards of the rest of the world. I read a lot about design and architecture and am constantly analyzing the space around me. It's how my brain works.

I can't help but point out glaring flaws, when $700+ million was put into the building. For that kind of money it should be near-perfect. I'm sorry, but it's not.

You know the private clubs in LOS, such as the Bakers & Daniels club? That's how the whole building should look. And I don't mean it has to be all gold and granite, I just mean there needs to be a level of custom detailing everywhere. Huge swaths of white cinderblock walls, plain drywall, and budget drop ceilings have no business existing in the public areas of a "world-class" facility. Especially the generic drop ceilings.

image hosted on flickr
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM   #591
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Oh man, I'm having a flashback to the crowd around the escalator at the north end of the stadium. Jee-zus, those public tours were poorly executed. One of the people I was with said that they could have made a case study of the organization on Saturday as an example of EXACTLY WHAT NOT TO DO.

I'm sorry to bring it up again. I just hate crowds, especially when I have to deal with it for two hours straight and particularly when just a little extra thought could have made it so much smoother.

Done. I feel better now.

Last edited by CorrND; August 22nd, 2008 at 12:51 AM. Reason: north end, not south end
CorrND está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:17 AM   #592
pig
oink^

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
1. That happened in 2002. There have been a few other incidents on the other side of town since then.

2. Since I am from Indiana, ripping my home state would definately not be the 'proper riposte'.
1. My point was that I regretted that the incident got dredged up, and that my intent wasn't malevolent.

2. They're just jokes. The phrase "proper riposte" was meant to underline that. Being from Indiana is an excuse to make fun of it not a reason not to. It's just a state like any other. It is neither holy nor perfect--sort of like your mom.

3. Why are we making lists?

4. I need it to be Sunday so I can get inside the stadium.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:09 AM   #593
speedblue47

Likes (Received): 1

So, since this is built and opened, shouldn't this thread be relegated to the NASF Archives? Just a thought since we are wasting posts sniping each other over sports team loyalties.
speedblue47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 06:01 PM   #594
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

I suppose its time to move it into the archives now that its up and ready. First game in the stadium is today. Noblesville HS vs Fishers HS - starting at 6:00 pm tonight. I wonder who will go down in the record books as scoring the first touchdown in LOS? Colts vs Bills in preseason play on Sunday. The Indy Star has some excellent pictures and information on the stadium today in its 18 page pullout section.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 09:56 PM   #595
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
I wonder who will go down in the record books as scoring the first touchdown in LOS?
Some spoiled ****** from Fishers. ;-)
Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:31 PM   #596
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
Some spoiled ****** from Fishers. ;-)
I do believe that Fishers' starting quarterback's name is Neil Spoiled****er, so you're probably right
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:47 AM   #597
aavmarine

Pretty cool clip of a timelaps of the stadium. Dorky music...

http://gannett.a.mms.mavenapps.net/m...ject=828524212

-Lt General Hal Moore
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #598
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 2413

cool-lookin' stadium. didn't know that back window also opens. it's another great addition. this stadium's gonna' be a winner!!
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #599
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

The Luke looked GREAT on TV last night, too bad the Colts couldn't
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:24 AM   #600
philaustin06

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
The Luke looked GREAT on TV last night, too bad the Colts couldn't
we're a mess without peyton.