daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #621
pig
oink^

Likes (Received): 65

The roof is a toy, and was unnecessary. I don't know why they skipped the drainage, but doing so was one way to ensure the Colts never had to play in the rain, and still talk about how sometimes they play in the elements. Speaking as someone who finds those 40F and raining days to be about as miserable as it gets, I appreciate that, but a fixed roof would have been fine. My intuition is that we got the retractable roof because everyone else has retractable roofs, and by that I mean no one is building fixed roof indoor stadia anymore.

And Sunday, the air was heavy and warm, and there was no wind so it felt sort of torpid in there, but I was in the shade at least.

And really, you plan indoors for 25 years, and for the most part that's all your fanbase knows then when you start playing quasi-outdoors there's gonna be some bitching about the weather you can bet on that.
pig no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #622
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Fans, taxpayers, should have known about this.
Old October 17th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #623
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

I don't see what the problem is. I fully anticipated that the roof would be open when the weather was clear and sunny, and if there was a threat of rain, it would be closed.

Muchado about nothing.
Old October 17th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #624
philaustin06

Likes (Received): 1

I cant believe we finally have a chance to play "outdoors" and everyones complaining that it was too hot. Woww. Bet theyre not complaining up at lambeau field when its ******* deep in snow.
philaustin06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #625
IndyYeah

There are issues involving the drainage, useage, roof- all this. My thing here is that the public or at least through the paper should be talked to about these things. What are the pro's and cons, even landscaping and costs. Roof, open and closed, and what maintenance using water on the field, turf, floor, has to be done and what minor drainage if any there is. Does sweat and blood get washed off, into a drain area? Sorry, but if the public is paying alot of this then .... Well, I apologize if my comments seem off, but that is all I have to say...
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #626
Mr Peanut

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
There are issues involving the drainage, useage, roof- all this. My thing here is that the public or at least through the paper should be talked to about these things. What are the pro's and cons, even landscaping and costs. Roof, open and closed, and what maintenance using water on the field, turf, floor, has to be done and what minor drainage if any there is. Does sweat and blood get washed off, into a drain area? Sorry, but if the public is paying alot of this then .... Well, I apologize if my comments seem off, but that is all I have to say...
I totally agree. This whole story about a mostly indoor stadium seems to have been cooked up. That is not at all what they were saying when they needed to sell this to the public. A huge amount of public money was wasted so they could have an indoor stadium but not have to call it that.
Mr Peanut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #627
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

I am NOT HAPPY to learn that the $800 MILLION Stadium was built WITHOUT field drainage! WTF? Who planned this? I understand that Indy can be cold, but it can also be warm/pleasant. Football is meant to be played outdoors. I would have thought that a nearly $1 BILLION STADIUM would have ncluded field drainage.
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:46 AM   #628
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

I don't think there is any "conspiracy" about the roof. It only makes sense that 98 - 99% or more of the time the roof will be closed. The only time it will be open is on the four or five - maybe six NFL football games per year when the weather is warm enough, and there is no threat of rain. It was never planned to be open during conventions (I suppose there could be one or two if they wanted to - but - they would only do it if there were no threat of rain.) If there are ten times per year when the roof is open for an average of eight hours each time - that would be 80 hours per year or a little less than four days per year. This is slightly more than 1% of the time. I don't know why anyone would have thought the roof would be open a whole lot more than 1 or 2% of the time.

I do think it is a valid argument whether spending an extra $100 million or so for a retractable roof is worth it. I don't think anyone mis-represented the truth though about how often the roof would be open. It only makes sense that it would only be open for a small percentage of the time. I think most people, when they were looking at the pictures and reading about the plans - back in 06 and 07, just didn't really think the situation through real thoroughly - about how much time the roof would actually be open.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM   #629
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
I am NOT HAPPY to learn that the $800 MILLION Stadium was built WITHOUT field drainage! WTF? Who planned this? I understand that Indy can be cold, but it can also be warm/pleasant. Football is meant to be played outdoors. I would have thought that a nearly $1 BILLION STADIUM would have ncluded field drainage.
I kinda look at it the opposite way. Why pay for a drainage system when you can just close the roof. If there's any significant chance for rain, it would be closed anyway. I like the added feature of a retractable roof. Is it worth the price tag? I can see the validity of arguments for and against. I think it was required so they would be able to fit both Polian's and Irsay's heads into one space Just kidding, I like both of those guys.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:51 PM   #630
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

The problem is:

a) The decision to go open/closed has to be made like 90 minutes before kickoff
b) The open/closed state can't change during the game
c) It takes 20 minutes to close it.

That's why the thing will likely be closed so often. It isn't like just closing the windows on your house when the rain starts.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 06:05 PM   #631
aavmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
The problem is:

a) The decision to go open/closed has to be made like 90 minutes before kickoff
b) The open/closed state can't change during the game
c) It takes 20 minutes to close it.

That's why the thing will likely be closed so often. It isn't like just closing the windows on your house when the rain starts.
Your wrong on two of them

1. They do have the option of closing the roof during a game. The call is made by the Ref.
If it starts to rain the call will be made.

2. It does not take 20 minutes to close it. 6-8 min to open/close the window, and about 11 min to open/close the roof.

-Lt General Hal Moore
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 06:34 PM   #632
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Ok, I was judging on the text of the article: "But 90 minutes before kickoff, when NFL rules mandate the decision has to be made to either open or close the roof for the duration of the game..."
Old March 27th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #633
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Final Four court:

skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
indianapolis