daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #61
cjfjapan
Registered User
 
cjfjapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,259
Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
Retro doesn't have to be bad. Not everything good has to be modern. Conseco Fieldhouse is superb, for example. The designs for LOS look pretty good, as does the stadium to date. The major flaw in the LOS design vs. Conseco is that LOS is skewed on its site and does not respect the city street grid. It will also be surrounded by oceans of surface parking, which Conseco is not. Fortunately, parking lots can be filled in later.
I agree with the skew- it makes it feel really suburban to me, but I prefer to think of it as an echo of the Kentucky Ave Diagonal.

As for the retro design, I suppose a more radical design would have gone down like a(n) _________ in a box of chocolates. The parking lots can be filled in, but it will take decades, and will be left to chance most likely. Already, the proposed hotels for the area look like something next to the Pyramids. Conseco was plopped down in an established area with great success - it's almost hidden...the design fits the neighborhood well. LOS, well, is surrounded by concrete block auto shops. It needs to create its vernacular - and I just wish it would have gone more out on a limb, rather than something I consider to be safe. Much too late for bitching however.

Moochie, you're right - I completely forgot about "The Luke." Case closed?
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #62
hoosier
Registered User
 
hoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,436
Likes (Received): 53

From the April 17th edition of the IndyStar:



The roofline of the Lucas Oil Stadium is beginning to take shape as the first of two major trusses is now in place.

Putting the west "super truss" in place took about four months.

In the days ahead, workers will shift to putting a similar truss running along the east side of the stadium. That, too, is expected to take about four months to complete.

A majority of the concrete decking for seats is in place and things like locker rooms and the suites are taking shape, said Scott Blanchard, project manager with Hunt Construction Co., said during a media tour of the stadium today.

The new stadium is scheduled to be completed by August of 2008.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #63
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,911
Likes (Received): 5

Wow, the first super truss is in place already!
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #64
hoosier
Registered User
 
hoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,436
Likes (Received): 53

They are making good progress on the facade. I notice changes to it on a daily basis.

That eastern truss is coming along nicely as well.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #65
unvrsty07
Registered User
 
unvrsty07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baton Rouge via Indianapolis
Posts: 944
Likes (Received): 116

Lucas Oil adds $1 million to Super Bowl bid

Forrest Lucas, president and owner of Lucas Oil Products, pledged $1 million today in support of Indianapolis' bid to host the 2011 Super Bowl.
Forrest Lucas announced he's pledging $1 million to the Indianapolis Super Bowl bid. Lucas made his announcement today at the construction site for Lucas Oil Stadium. - Matt Kryger / The Star

“Lucas Oil Products is committed to Indiana and to the Colts,” Lucas said in a statement. “I hope my pledge spurs others to become part of the bid to attract the NFL, its fans and the national media’s eye to our city and state.”
Indianapolis 2011 Inc., a nonprofit organization created to attract the 2011 Super Bowl, has said it needs between $20 million and $25 million to pull off hosting duties.

It said today it plans to secure pledges "sufficient to put on the game" before its bid presentation to NFL owners on May 23 in Nashville, Tenn.

“We are in the fundraising red zone,” Fred Glass, president of Indianapolis 2011, said. “A month out from the presentation, we’re glad to have Forrest leading the final fundraising drive for what we hope will be the ultimate touchdown for Indianapolis in Super Bowl XLV.”

Dallas and Phoenix also have submitted bids to host the 2011 game.

Last year, Lucas Oil purchased the naming rights to the new Colts stadium, which is under construction in downtown Indianapolis and is expected to open in the fall of next year.
unvrsty07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:09 AM   #66
_ttam_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 144
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Seriously people Indianapolis does not = Indiana. Indianapolis is more tolerant, liberal, wealthy, educated, diverse, urban, dense, innovative, progressive, and growing faster than any other midwestern city!
Seriously this is more than a little offensive and I don't believe it belongs on a message board of this nature. Can a board admin take it off?

We are all fans of ALL city development here no matter what state they are in, we don't need to get into pissing matches like that...
_ttam_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:56 PM   #67
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,911
Likes (Received): 5

The brick used on the exterior is darker and slightly different than what is depicted in the renders. Anyone else notice this? I think it looks great with the darker brick.

I happened to be downtown yesterday doing some shopping, and I walked around it while I was over there. It really is marvelous to watch this thing go up in person. It looks fantastic, too--better than the renders we've seen. I will also say that this thing is MASSIVE--it's about as tall as Monument Circle!
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:29 PM   #68
CorrND
Moderator Chris
 
CorrND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,494
Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
The brick used on the exterior is darker and slightly different than what is depicted in the renders. Anyone else notice this? I think it looks great with the darker brick.

I happened to be downtown yesterday doing some shopping, and I walked around it while I was over there. It really is marvelous to watch this thing go up in person. It looks fantastic, too--better than the renders we've seen. I will also say that this thing is MASSIVE--it's about as tall as Monument Circle!
Yeah, I'm loving how this thing is shaping up. Were you as amazed as I was how alive downtown was yesterday (and Saturday too, for that matter). There were people EVERYWHERE, going to games, shopping, running in races, attending festivals, biking on the streets, running on the canal. I think there was a big convention in town, but what was happening downtown was a lot more than just a big convention.
CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:45 PM   #69
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,911
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Yeah, I'm loving how this thing is shaping up. Were you as amazed as I was how alive downtown was yesterday (and Saturday too, for that matter). There were people EVERYWHERE, going to games, shopping, running in races, attending festivals, biking on the streets, running on the canal. I think there was a big convention in town, but what was happening downtown was a lot more than just a big convention.
Yep. It's called springtime in Indianapolis!

I'm glad that the City concentrates many of its assets downtown. Downtown really is the heart of the city, and it's great to be able to experience such vibrancy without a big convention in town or during business hours only.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:47 PM   #70
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,911
Likes (Received): 5

NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #71
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

One time, me and my cousin ate our lunch on the top of her car and just watched them doing construction(how nerdy is dat? lol) The brick looks aged, and not disney world like. Downtown was alive, I loved it, hopefully it will stay like that, atleast on the weekends.
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #72
cwilson758
Cory
 
cwilson758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco via Indianapolis
Posts: 3,403
Likes (Received): 15

I took a drive on the inner loop yesterday and had to swing past the Luke. It is huge and totally dominates the area. When you look at it and compare it to the Dome, there is no comparison. I love all of the windows that it will have and you should be able to see people mulling about inside. I was trying to picture the Dome not being there and it will make, I think, an improvement to the skyline shots. You will be able to see more of the City as the Luke isn't right next to the core. Also, I was trying to visualize the JW Marriott and Residence Inn and Condo buildings. Although we would rather see them at Pan Am Plaza, you have to admit that they will make a great impression on the skyline.

There are so many projects being built downtown right now. Its nice to know that 4 huge projects (JW, Convention Center, Penn Tower, MSA) are still to break ground and that the development of infill will continue unabated.
__________________
"Indianapolis has the reputation of a shark striking when other cities sleep."
cwilson758 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #73
hoosier
Registered User
 
hoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,436
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
I took a drive on the inner loop yesterday and had to swing past the Luke. It is huge and totally dominates the area. When you look at it and compare it to the Dome, there is no comparison. I love all of the windows that it will have and you should be able to see people mulling about inside. I was trying to picture the Dome not being there and it will make, I think, an improvement to the skyline shots. You will be able to see more of the City as the Luke isn't right next to the core. Also, I was trying to visualize the JW Marriott and Residence Inn and Condo buildings. Although we would rather see them at Pan Am Plaza, you have to admit that they will make a great impression on the skyline.

There are so many projects being built downtown right now. Its nice to know that 4 huge projects (JW, Convention Center, Penn Tower, MSA) are still to break ground and that the development of infill will continue unabated.
Those are good comments.

I will be sad to see the dome go because it is in my opinion the only football stadium integrated with the downtown core in the country. Most stadiums, even those downtown, are surrounded by a sea of parking lots which separate them from the city.

You are right about the Luke dominating the downtown however. It is absolutely massive. What strikes me is how TALL it is. I have heard the top of the roof is around 270 feet above street level.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #74
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

I will miss the dome, but I think it will make it easier to see the historical skyline of wholesale from the river, and the dome isnt exactly that great.
Its a concrete building with a white dome. I am more concerned with the buildings around it being damaged. The Luke is HUGE.
Its like a highrise. I was riding back to downtown, and from around the zoo, it is like a highrise, that seems like its almost as tall as the conrad or something.
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #75
CorrND
Moderator Chris
 
CorrND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,494
Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I will be sad to see the dome go because it is in my opinion the only football stadium integrated with the downtown core in the country. Most stadiums, even those downtown, are surrounded by a sea of parking lots which separate them from the city.
This is mostly true, even if a stadium is near a downtown core, it's usually surrounded by parking lots. Soldier Field is an exception -- although I'm not sure you could say it's in the "core" of Chicago, it's definitely downtown and not surrounded by parking lots. The Metrodome, Paul Brown Stadium, Cleveland Browns Stadium, Qwest Field, Ford Field, the Louisiana Superdome and the Georgia Dome are similarly situated very close to their downtowns, but not IN the core.

The only real comparison to the RCA Dome is the Edward Jones Dome, which is situated in the core of St. Louis just like the RCA Dome.
CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #76
hoosier
Registered User
 
hoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,436
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
This is mostly true, even if a stadium is near a downtown core, it's usually surrounded by parking lots. Soldier Field is an exception -- although I'm not sure you could say it's in the "core" of Chicago, it's definitely downtown and not surrounded by parking lots. The Metrodome, Paul Brown Stadium, Cleveland Browns Stadium, Qwest Field, Ford Field, the Louisiana Superdome and the Georgia Dome are similarly situated very close to their downtowns, but not IN the core.

The only real comparison to the RCA Dome is the Edward Jones Dome, which is situated in the core of St. Louis just like the RCA Dome.
Soldier Field has parking to its south. It is situated along Lake Michigan, in a recreational area. The multi-lane Lake Shore Drive must be crossed to access the stadium which is a negative for pedestrians.

Paul Brown stadium is surrounded by parking and a highway interchange. It is separated from downtown Cincinnati by I-71.

Cleveland Browns stadium is separated from downtown Cleveland by railroad tracks and a freeway. It is surrounded by parking.

The Georgia Dome is near the core but still rather isolated from the downtown.

You are right about the SuperDome being in the core, but no stadium has the street-level access of the RCA Dome. The Superdome is built on this elevated platform.

Even Qwest and Ford Fields are outside the core area. The dome is built into the inner-city fabric of Indy and has good street level access. When you step outside of the dome and face NE, the downtown is RIGHT in your face.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #77
CorrND
Moderator Chris
 
CorrND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,494
Likes (Received): 463

Sounds like we're in perfect agreement, but you didn't comment on the best comparison, the Edward Jones Dome!
CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #78
hoosier
Registered User
 
hoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,436
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Sounds like we're in perfect agreement, but you didn't comment on the best comparison, the Edward Jones Dome!
The EJD is set right in the city core, but since I have never visited the stadium, I can't compare it with the RCA Dome.

However, Indy's DT is much nicer than the STL, so I would still give the edge to the home of the SB CHAMPS!!
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #79
hoosier
Registered User
 
hoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,436
Likes (Received): 53

Anybondy notice that the cladding for one of the front supports was taken down this weak? Odd.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #80
ablerock
Registered User
 
ablerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fountain Square - Naptown
Posts: 1,900
Likes (Received): 29

Here's an aerial shot looking south, taken about a week ago (late April):



...another aerial shot looking north, taken about 3 weeks ago (early April):



...and an interior shot looking southeast (late March):

ablerock no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
indianapolis

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu