daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #81
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

the redevelopment opportunities are really highlightes here with this pic! I think the site on the left is teh new interstate-esque hotel that Dora is building. Can't wait for the EFIS!

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #82
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Wow, great pics! The pic Cory used also answers 2 questions I had:

How are they going to get the cranes out when they're done?
Why is there still a gap in the middle of the south end?

Looks like they can just drive 'em out the gap!
CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #83
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

What is?

What the hell is the "EFIS" that Wilson mentioned? HaHa i would like to know.
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #84
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

look at all the development oppurtunities(lyk cwilson said.)
It would be awesome to make that a hot spot for clubs and stuff.
I just hope to god, it doesent remain an abyss of parking and one story buildings. =(
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #85
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

That gap in the south is to allow construction equipment to enter and leave the stadium.

The cranes will be disassembled on site and driven out piece-by-piece when they are no longer needed (which won't be until the roof is finished).

There are a lot of development opportunities around the stadium.

I just wish there was more progress being made on the hotels between West and Missouri Streets.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #86
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

What is EIFS?

EIFS stands for Exterior Insulation and Finish Systems. The product is also called synthetic stucco, and refers to a multi-layered exterior finish that's been used in European construction since shortly after World War II, when contractors found it to be a good repair choice for buildings damaged during the war. The majority of repairs to European buildings were to structures constructed of stone, concrete, brick, or other similar, durable materials.

EIFS in North America
North American builders began using EIFS in the 1980's, first in commercial buildings, then applying it as an exterior finish to residences--mostly wood frame houses--using the same techniques that had been successful in Europe.
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #87
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

Who here thinks we can lobby our fine city to build a park in & around this area? Lord knows we are in dire need of one down there! ;-)
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #88
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

I got a quick view of downtown from the Airport parking garage last night, and the stadium looks HUGE. I know its been mentioned here before, but LOS is going to extend the skyline quite a bit to the south - it is really overpowering.

Regarding development, I wonder really how much retail/commercial can spread to the south. One of the successes of the Hoosier Dome in the last ten years is that its entrance is close to Circle Center, and before that, to Union Station, and all of those close to the downtown core. LOS is a pioneer - and twelve games a year probably will not convince entrepreneurs to break ground on good projects for some time, until the whole area fills in with apartment, condos, etc. LOS is a great start, but Im not sure we'll see much development (outside of the hotels) there for many, many years.
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #89
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

I was in the Indianapolis Star IMS sweet on sunday. While I was on the eastside of the sweet I saw the most amazing view of the skyline. It made the skyline look enormous, and I also noticed the LUKE and the addition it made tothe skyline is one of a kind.
unvrsty07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #90
unvrsty07

LOL thanks mooch, I keep noticing all these simple brain farts/terrible simple spellingmistakes and it hit me, I have got to stop posting drunk I did not take a picture because I did not know I would be in the suite. It was the best view I have ever seen of downtown, absolutely incredible. The skyline easily made it look like a MAJOR city.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #91
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
I think that if/when the transportation hub goes in, then we'll see a lot of progress.
If the public transit users are the same as they are now, Im not so sure. Ive been in the Greyhound/Amtrak stations a couple of times and...yeeks. A better structure will help, but I doubt the clientele will change, and those folks are sitting down to lattes and lounging away the afternoon...
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #92
Unionstation13

Massive transportation, would be very helpful,
I was just amagining one day, if we had lightrails coming into the city from major cities, how cool it would be to have this massive lightrail station with shopping and retail, like the one in Berlin. But this was just my amagination again. I think it would be cool to turn the Old unionstation into a lightrail station, but that would be diffacualt.
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #93
Unionstation13

Quote:
Not difficult at all. Just expensive.
without heavy altering of the building.
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #94
Unionstation13

Quote:
The building was made to do exactly what you want it to do. It just requires a lot of demolition to get rid of what's been installed in recent decades. All they really have to do is strip the structure down to the bare bones and you have a functioning rail station. Like I said, not difficult at all. Just expensive.
I am talking about the historic unionstation, if they could take the area where the loung thing is, and then take out the lounge, and instead of trains, make a seperate line for the railroad, and then have the lightrail dip in into the station. Unionstation could be turned into the lightrail station, and could be as active as it was in its golden age.
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #95
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

The two new hotels going in across the stadium between West and Missouri Streets will help development in the area of downtown between South Street and I-70.

West Street neeeds to be resurfaced BADLY.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #96
Unionstation13

Quote:
I'm really confused by what you're saying here. What lounge exactly? Why on earth would you want the lines to dip?

The train shed, which was comprised of 8 lines or so a story above grade, could.. or should hold as many lines as before. The street level section was operated just like any other rail station, and one would walk from the main hall, which also was where the ticket counters were, under the tracks to one's correct track, then walk up the stairs to track level to board the train. I've seen a lot of train stations in Europe that operate just like it.

It's all still there.. Every bit of it. All that as to be done is tear out all the old mall crap and that stupid hotel. There is a parking garage blocking where the train shed lines used to merge into the main lines, and that would either have to be torn down, or modified so that trains could pass underneath, but other than that, not a thing needs to be changed at Union Station.
that would be really great, thanks for the information. Unionstation was designed for these sorta things, instead of a glorafied ballroom, this would be amazing. Some restruants would be good, then it could go national, from like NYC to LA.
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #97
unvrsty07

Work ramping up at stadium site

The number of workers at the Lucas Oil Stadium construction site, now about 750, is expected to rise considerably in coming months, officials said today.

As many as 1,400 workers will be on the site by late summer, a number that should stay consistent until the stadium is finished.

The $675 million stadium is set to be completed by mid-August 2008.

So far, more than 114,000 cubic yards of concrete has been poured. Looking ahead, officials said today they expect to turn on permanent power to the structure by June and to start installing seats by August.
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #98
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

God, I hope that the city does not waste this opportunity to expand the core southward. I would really like to see the core expand eastward too but with LOS already underway, my hope is that it should allow more projects to "fill in" and enlarge the core. Since the southside of downtown is not as blighted as the eastside it should be slightly easier to get something going once this field is finished.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #99
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Coming along nicely. The exterior cladding is almost complete and seating decks are in place.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #100
Unionstation13

wow, I was worried it would look sorta fake, but the way it all goes together,it is really tastefully done!

Tags
indianapolis