daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #101
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

Yeah the renders kinda made me afraid it would look cheesy as well.

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #102
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyman View Post
Yeah the renders kinda made me afraid it would look cheesy as well.
I agree regarding the LOS renderings, but I usually make an assumption that every structure will look at least a little bit better than it looks in a rendering. I think it mostly proves true.
CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #103
indyfan

Likes (Received): 1

Hopefully 4 days from now we can be celebrating how LOS is going to host the '11 Super Bowl.
indyfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #104
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

if it does. We are going against some strong opponents, I think we have a pretty good chance, but could you amagine all that national attention all on Indianapolis?!
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #105
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
God, I hope that the city does not waste this opportunity to expand the core southward. I would really like to see the core expand eastward too but with LOS already underway, my hope is that it should allow more projects to "fill in" and enlarge the core. Since the southside of downtown is not as blighted as the eastside it should be slightly easier to get something going once this field is finished.
There are those two hotels going in between West and Missouri Streets one block west of LOS. 6-7 stories isn't that bad for that area.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:00 PM   #106
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

From May 22 Indianapolis Star:

Stadium's 4.5-acre Roof Opening Will Be NFL's Largest
By Jeff Swiatek

The roof on Lucas Oil Stadium will boast a larger opening -- a 4.5-acre hole to the sky -- than the three other current or future NFL stadiums with retractable roofs, and it will work so efficiently it'll generate power when moving down slope.

The peaked roof, one of the stadium's most distinctive features, took center stage Monday at a meeting of the Indiana Stadium and Convention Building Authority.

Authority members heard a 20-minute presentation on the roof from contractors who designed the moving panels and trusses that will create the largest span roof on a U.S. stadium.

Controlled by cables wrapped around drums and run by electric motors, the entire roof will open in six minutes on a third less horsepower than an Indy race car packs, said Bart Riberich, president of Uni-Systems, the Minneapolis-based roof mechanization consultant.

"It's much like the action of a power yo-yo," he told authority members while showing slides of the bifold roof.

Making a roof retractable easily adds $30 million to a stadium's cost, but it pays off by making the facility more flexible for various uses, including conventions and concerts, as well as sports events, said Lee W. Slade, senior principal of Walter P. Moore of Houston, the lead structural engineer for the roof.

"That's how these buildings are successful -- by filling those event days," he said.

The $675 million, publicly financed Downtown stadium, set to open in August 2008, "is going to be an unbelievable convention facility," he said.

The massive trusses that support the nearly 6 million-pound roof panels also can be used to rig displays in the air for concerts and other indoor events, he said.

The RCA Dome, which Lucas Oil Stadium will replace, has limited ability to support rigging for events because its fabric roof can't support much weight hanging from it.

Lucas Oil will be the third NFL stadium with a retractable roof -- the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium opening in 2009 will be the fourth -- and it will be the 30th stadium in the world with one.

As the roof panels open by sliding down a 13-degree slope, they'll generate electricity that will be stored using variable frequency drives. "People want to save energy, and this is a good way to do it," Riberich said.

The brick-faced stadium also will be built with an 85-foot-tall glass wall that can open, giving fans a view of Downtown's skyline.

The roof and wall will be operated from a control room equipped with safety systems that include visual and audible alarms, emergency stop buttons, and a dead man's switch that requires the operator to keep constant pressure on the switch while the roof is opening or closing.

Lucas Oil Stadium "will stand among the elite stadiums in the United States" when it opens, said Slade, who's visited about half of the world's retractable-roof stadiums and hopes to see them all.

Authority Chairman David Frick left the roof engineer and consultant with some parting words of advice: "We're counting on you to come on opening day to make sure the roof goes up, and down."
ablerock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:12 PM   #107
kcmetro
BANNED

That stadium is looking nice! I love that it's made of brick. It will be an excellent venue for the Final Four.
kcmetro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:44 PM   #108
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

^ I have always seen the brick as another nostalgic move by the city, however, seeing this building in person is just amazing, and now I believe the city made an excellent choice!!
unvrsty07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #109
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

I've been sneaking around various Indy establishments lately... ;-)

Here's a shot of The Luke construction site I took last night:
ablerock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #110
hoosier

Damn, there is ZERO cladding along the SE and S sides of the stadium!!
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #111
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

It seems to be much harder to do a good design with a stadium than with an arena, probably because of the difference in scale. Something too avant-garde here would have overwhelmed the rest of downtown. I'm not unhappy at all with the retro designs of Conseco and the Luke, and think this will be overall a great addition to downtown.
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #112
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
It seems to be much harder to do a good design with a stadium than with an arena, probably because of the difference in scale. Something too avant-garde here would have overwhelmed the rest of downtown. I'm not unhappy at all with the retro designs of Conseco and the Luke, and think this will be overall a great addition to downtown.
I concur. There is nothing wrong with having a retro exterior as long as the innards of the stadium are state-of-the-art.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:38 PM   #113
_ttam_

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I concur. There is nothing wrong with having a retro exterior as long as the innards of the stadium are state-of-the-art.
Columns, large windows, brick, stone--instead of retro, call it timeless...it's true and it sounds better.
_ttam_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM   #114
hoosier

Looking at the webcam, it appears that work is being done on the stadium over the weekend, which means that the pace of construction will increase!
Old June 3rd, 2007, 01:07 AM   #115
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ttam_ View Post
Columns, large windows, brick, stone--instead of retro, call it timeless...it's true and it sounds better.
exactly!
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #116
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #117
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

Lookin pretty damn lovely!
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #118
hoosier

There has been NO work on the roof for over a week! WTF??!!

All the progress is being made on the facade.
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #119
kcmetro
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
There has been NO work on the roof for over a week! WTF??!!

All the progress is being made on the facade.
Beggars can't be choosers. Just be happy you're getting a brand spankin' new facility like this.
kcmetro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #120
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

yeah, i agree. what more can you guys ask for?
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
indianapolis