daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #141
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

The eastern roof truss is done!!
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #142
hoosier

From the IndyStar:

The lack of rain in recent weeks was bad for area lawns, but it’s been great for construction workers building the new Lucas Oil Stadium.

Crews building the $675 million stadium completed $22 million worth of work in May, making it one of the most productive months since construction started, Bob May, contract manager for Hunt Construction Group, which is managing the stadium project, said today during a tour of the stadium.
Some 800 workers are now helping to build the stadium, which is scheduled to open in August 2008. They worked 20 days in May, meaning construction cost about $1.1 million a day.

Among other jobs, crews are continuing to work on the retractable steel roof. Both large super trusses that run north to south are now complete. The five steel beams that run east to west are still being assembled.

Work on those beams was delayed a bit when the biggest crane on the job had mechanical problems twice in the last month, shutting it down for about a week each time, May said. He said workers assembling that part of the roof moved onto other jobs while the crane was being fixed.
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:36 AM   #143
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Sweet tapdancing Jesus that's a tall crane.. that's 400' plus! I guess they're putting in the top A-Frame pieces soon.
You are right, that is a big ******* crane.
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:18 PM   #144
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Slideshow

If anyone is interested in the progress going on inside the building check out this quick slideshow courtesy of the Star. It only takes about a minute or so and it's pretty neat.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:11 PM   #145
aavmarine

Likes (Received): 0

I know its not possible because we need the parking space, but I would like to see the north parking lot between LOS and the RCA dome be turned into some kind of party village. I think it would be kinda cool to have a "C" shape (facing the stadium) village with different retails, resturants, bars and clubs. The middle part would have cobble stone surrounding it, with water fountains, street vendures, and a family fun zone before the home games or what ever convention comes to town. I will always remember walking into Kings Island and see the European villages around the entrance. I thought it was always cool to be sitting under the trees next to the fountain and listening to the music, drinking a cold one. IMO I think it would be a great idea, plus it would make money for the city.
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:11 PM   #146
aavmarine

I know its not possible because we need the parking space, but I would like to see the north parking lot between LOS and the RCA dome be turned into some kind of party village. I think it would be kinda cool to have a "C" shape (facing the stadium) village with different retails, resturants, bars and clubs. The middle part would have cobble stone surrounding it, with water fountains, street vendures, and a family fun zone before the home games or what ever convention comes to town. I will always remember walking into Kings Island and see the European villages around the entrance. I thought it was always cool to be sitting under the trees next to the fountain and listening to the music, drinking a cold one. IMO I think it would be a great idea, plus it would make money for the city.

Last edited by aavmarine; June 22nd, 2007 at 09:17 PM. Reason: delete
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:28 PM   #147
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by aavmarine View Post
That's a hell of a thinking-outside-the-box idea. I'm not sure if this was your idea, but the "C" should be in the shape of the Colts horseshoe, with the flare-outs right at the West St. sidewalk. That would be cool as hell for overhead shots of the city during MNF games. If anybody's worried about losing those parking spaces, they could sink a garage under the village and have it connect to the convention center.
CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:08 AM   #148
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

the parking lots around the LOS need filled, whether its parking garages of different facades and street level retail, or condos and townhouses, just fill up those god damn parking lots!!
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:58 AM   #149
Paintrain

where would people tailgate then?
Paintrain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:19 AM   #150
aavmarine

Quote:
I don't think they'd do anything too permanent. That site is slated for future convention center expansion.
I thought the expansion of the CC was only going to the RR tracks. According to the LOS and CC design drawings, the North end parking space is still there. Anyways, to me, I think the S end parking space will look okay. Myself, I really don't want a stadium that is surrounded by parking spaces. It will end up looking to much like other stadiums outside city limits that are surrounded by parking ( Pittsburgh, Tennesee). I remember when I was a kid and my parents had season tickets to the Colts. My dad and I parked about 10 blocks from the Hoosier Dome. We never really got to go to the city, so it was a sight to see to get to walk and see the sights before the game. IMO, I don't think many people will be bitching because they will have to get a little excercise. They will be too happy and excited about a new stadium. At least that is how I felt when I was a kid.

I work for a cement company, and guess what? For the last 2 years the stadium has been our biggest contract. I remember one morning when I was sitting there getting ready to pour along South street (the N. end of the stadium) and I was think what the city could do with that parking space. And all I could see was fans gathering in that area and having a party, not like tailgating, but something like they had at Pan Am Plaza. And then my mind started to wonder and I started to visualize what I said in the thread above. I thought it will be cool if the city could do something like that.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:21 AM   #151
aavmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Victory field!! Or the Lilly parking down the street on Kentucky.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 04:24 PM   #152
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I know tailgating is fun as hell but preserving parking lots for people to tailgate 8 days a year is not a good use of land. That's an unfortunate side-effect of having an urban football stadium. Have people tailgate at IUPUI and run shuttle buses down to the Luke. That's the kind of thing Notre Dame is doing these days.

Quote:
I don't think they'd do anything too permanent. That site is slated for future convention center expansion.
Yeah, I realize that. Just thought the idea was pretty damn cool anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aavmarine View Post
I thought the expansion of the CC was only going to the RR tracks.
We're talking long-term future expansion, not the currently planned expansion. I like your idea, but that land is just about the only place they can expand the CC in the future.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 04:48 PM   #153
aavmarine

I didn't know that the city had future plans for the parking space on that side of the RR tracks. What are they going to do with the tracks, have them go through the CC?
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:49 PM   #154
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

that parking lot will probably be filled with another CC expansion, and hopefully it has a grand enterance too!
A lightrail between the airport and unionstation would do wonders and reduce traffic during conventions! Somedays I wonder what Indianapolis would be like if the Indianapolis forumers ruled it, of course we would probably kill eachother though. =/
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #155
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
Somedays I wonder what Indianapolis would be like if the Indianapolis forumers ruled it, of course we would probably kill eachother though. =/
LOL! That would be awesome, but yes, we would slaughter each other in the end. :-)
ablerock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #156
hoosier

There is an article in today's IndyStar about how the costs of LOS are increasing. The expected price tag for the stadium is now between $695-$719million.

And the additional cost of building a parking garage to provide the Colts with the minimun number of parking spaces hasn't been factored into the estimate.

This project will end up coming in around $750 million.
Old June 27th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #157
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Come to think of it, there is Pan Am Plaza..
That's true, but I'm positive you'll agree they should use the "dead" land south of the tracks beore they use Pan Am Plaza. Pan Am Plaza should hopefully have some mixed-use dev that matches with the kind of development that's been done in the Wholesale District.

I actually got into an argument with a guy on the Indy Star message board who thought the RCA Dome should have been saved and the CC should have been expanded onto Pan Am Plaza, rather than the plan they're currently working on. That would have been pretty damn far from ideal and that difference is all it takes for a convention center design to be very good or merely workable.

Given the current expansion plans, future expansion onto Pan Am Plaza makes a lot more sense than it did before. The Moscone Center in San Francisco goes under a street and it works ok. But it's still not ideal.
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #158
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

I'd find it pretty humorous if in 50 years, 70% of the Mile Square is covered by the convention center, since expanding
up obviously isn't part of the plan.
cityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #159
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

I am going to post convention center expansion news in this thread because of its relevance to LOS.

Here's a link to the Convention Center expansion/RCA Dome demolition video by WTHR
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #160
hoosier

So the temporary supports for the eastern truss are coming down. Anyone know what part(s) of the stadium the crew is (are) working on now?

Tags
indianapolis