daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #1
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

MILWAUKEE | Park Lafayette | 221' | 20 fl | Com

Park Lafayette is at the corner of Prospect and Lafayette, north of downtown just outside a major cluster of other residential highrises. It's actually two towers - North and South as designated by Emporis. Both towers will be constructed simultaneously and the current completion date is anticipated to be sometime in 2008.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; March 4th, 2008 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Added renderings.
MilwaukeeMark no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:07 AM   #2
historybuffer

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
Park Lafayette
I just realized this looks a bit like rendering for The CHA (Chicago Housing Authority) public housing maybe Robert Taylor Homes or Cabrini Green. The angled shot (prow) doesn't look as tepid. Oh well we're all here on the boards to herald in height. At least there is a glass curtain to migitate the blandness a little.
historybuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #3
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Well I'm glad you just downgraded the entire project. Let's hope any prospective buyers aren't on this site anytime soon. High rise luxury condos compared to slummy city/state funded housing projects!? Disgusting
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #4
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

Not everybody has to like everything.
Markitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #5
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Not everybody has to like everything.
True, but to compare them to the projects is a little harsh
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #6
Markitect

Harsh blandness.
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #7
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Not everyone has to like everyone else opinions as well

Nope this is a nice project.
Is it award winning? no. But hardly bland.
And I wouldnt compare this to a housing project ( which are nice in small doses, just because chicago couldnt take over theirs doesnt mean they should be universally denouced, newyorks are in decent shape). Its a mix of materials, which is very nice. Do we have another building like this in milwaukee?
or chicago? if so i would like to see examples.

I am tough to please and I am quite happy about this project.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #8
brewcityfan

Quote:
Harsh blandness.
Hey, anyone's opinions is open and fine with me. Democracy rules in this forum! But to put down a new (and quite big) development to this area tying in project apartment buildings to this is quite unnecessary. Bland, possibly. Project homes? Hell no. Have some pride in the community you live in.
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #9
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan
Hey, anyone's opinions is open and fine with me. Democracy rules in this forum! But to put down a new (and quite big) development to this area tying in project apartment buildings to this is quite unnecessary.
So, which is it? First you say you're open to opinions, but then turn around to say that a particular opinion that's opposite to yours is "quite unnecessary" to give.

Quote:
Have some pride in the community you live in.
It's rather presumptuous for you to insinuate that just because someone doesn't care for the design of a particular project means that they don't have any pride for the community in which they live.
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #10
brewcityfan

Quote:
So, which is it? First you say you're open to opinions, but then turn around to say that a particular opinion that's opposite to yours is "quite unnecessary" to give.

It's rather presumptuous for you to insinuate that just because someone doesn't care for the design of a particular project means that they don't have any pride for the community in which they live.
If you're going to quote me - say the whole quote. After that sentence I added that saying the building is bland is absolutely fine. Disliking the building? Fine. Labeling it something that's the complete opposite?? Not fine. The building and the neighborhood it's in is nowhere near looking like project housing. In fact, when I think of the phrase "project housing" all I can see is some dump with trash all around it, windows broken, the building itself deterioriating - nothing at all positive to Park Lafayette to which this thread was supposed to give. And to go over and above what he said with "harsh blandness", being a Milwaukee citizen yourself - doesn't really show off Milwaukee that well to others that might take a peek at this thread. What if someone wants to move into the area and wants to buy a condo? Saying the building looks like a project isn't going to attract anybody.

EDIT: After looking at the CHA's new Cabrini apartment complex - the nicer parts of this are mostly going for market or affordable value. Very little of the nicer shaped buildings will be given for CHA residents. http://www.thecha.org/housingdev/cab...een_homes.html They don't even show one of the locations of where the CHA has a majority over normal residents. The other that they do show looks more like a house. I'm still not seeing where P.L. looks like this.

Last edited by brewcityfan; February 27th, 2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #11
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

These buildings look nothing like Cabrini Green or the Robert Taylor Homes. The only faint resemblance is the towers-in-the-park style arrangement. I'm not enthralled with the architecture, but I also don't think it's that bad. This lot has been vacant for so long I'm just happy to see something with reasonable density being built there.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #12
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

I don't have a problem with the project and once its done it should be a nice addition. But the first proposal for this plot of land would have been much better. Something like 32-34 stories and a awesome looking design.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #13
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

just my opinion but park lafeyette looks nothing like those chicago buildings historybuffer mentioned
miltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #14
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by historybuffer View Post
I just realized this looks a bit like rendering for The CHA (Chicago Housing Authority) public housing maybe Robert Taylor Homes or Cabrini Green. The angled shot (prow) doesn't look as tepid. Oh well we're all here on the boards to herald in height. At least there is a glass curtain to migitate the blandness a little.
Don't really know where you are coming up with that assesment but ok...
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #15
milwaukee-københavn

It looks more like the hundreds of brick high-rises that were built on Chicago's north side in the 1970's and 80's than the Robert Taylor Homes or Cabrini Green. The CHA did experiment with this kind of psuedo brick highrise and townhouses in the 70's, though.
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:10 PM   #16
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernIL Mike View Post
I don't have a problem with the project and once its done it should be a nice addition. But the first proposal for this plot of land would have been much better. Something like 32-34 stories and a awesome looking design.
I miss Lafayette Place...

[image from emporis]
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:37 AM   #17
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

Not only do I miss the Lafayette Place (32 stories), but I also miss the Rana Tower Hotel (19 stories), the 1000 North Water Street Phase II (33 stories), the River Tower (25 stories), the Broadway-Wisconsin Tower (24 stories), the Time Insurance Tower (24 stories), and the Summit & Woodstock Apartments Tower (17 stories). Not to mention all of the proposed developments that are currently in limbo. All of which would have been a great abundance of high-rise infill that Milwaukee currently lacks.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #18
brewcityfan

More good news for this project! In today's JS:
Quote:
East side condo project 25% sold
Occupancy start set for fall '08
By TOM DAYKIN
[email protected]
Posted: March 9, 2007
A condominium development being built on Milwaukee's east side will have its underground parking structure completed by September, with construction of the development's twin towers to begin at that time, the developer said Friday.

Portions of the 291-unit Park Lafayette development should be available for occupancy by September 2008, said Warren Barr, president of Renaissant Development Group LLC.

The project, east of N. Prospect Ave. and north of E. Lafayette Ave., will feature twin 20-story towers.

Around 25% of the development's condos have already been sold, with buyers providing 10% down payments, said Lynn Buckley, director of sales and marketing for Park Lafayette.

Another 15% of the units are being reserved by prospective buyers, she said. Those reservations require a $2,500 refundable deposit.

Buckley said sales have been strong for the project, one of the largest condo developments in the Milwaukee area.

The marketing effort includes a full-size model of a two-bedroom condo at Park Lafayette's sales center, 2025 N. Summit Ave.

Park Lafayette's units start at $230,000 for a one-bedroom unit.

The development is aiming to fill a niche of offering high-quality units in a location overlooking Lake Michigan that are priced below other high-rises.

"It looks like we've hit that niche," said Barr, whose firm is based in Oak Brook, Ill.
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #19
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 673

So I'm trying out flickr for picture hosting so figured I'd try it out by updating Park Lafayette.

I took these pictures while I was walking to the bars on north... so I didn't exactly take the time to get very good shots. I just wanted to prove it's above ground now. :-)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Coldwake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #20
historybuffer

Revisiting the thread again today I still can't help thinking that the project looks SIMILIAR to a CHA housing project from the 1960s.
BUT be acutely aware that:

I like City Hall. I like the Mitchell and Mackie Buildings. I like the Harley-Davidson Museum. I like the North Point Water Tower.
I like The Performing Arts Center. I like the Calatrava addition to the Milwaukee Art Museum. I like the IMAX rotunda building at the Milwaukee Public Museum. I like the Gesu Church on the Marquette Campus. I like the old Pabst Theater. I like the Plankinton Arcade. I like the George Watts building. I like the new facelift at the Amtrak Station. I like Arnold and Quistorf's Tavern (Elsa's.) I like the Button Block.
I like the old Wisconsin Gas Company building. I like the Federal Courthouse. I like the Germania building. I like St. John's Cathedral. I like Cathedral Place except for the parking garage. I like the Curry-Pierce Block. I like the Jason Downer House. I like Graham Row. I like the Loyalty Building. I like the Mathew Keenan Townhouse. I like the Iron Block building. I like the University Club Building and UCT. I like the Northwestern Hanna Fuel Company Building.

Last edited by historybuffer; August 16th, 2007 at 12:20 AM.
historybuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote