daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Transportation-Infrastructure > Aviation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #61
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 0

These airports will take some of the load off of LAX, hence the LA name.

One of the best parts of this rail system? It goes through the Eastside. Say goodbye to having to be stuck on the 10, 210, or 60 if you want to go downtown, just take the train.
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 15th, 2007, 05:38 AM   #62
Fern~Fern*
☆Fern~Fern~Fern☆

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin787 View Post
very nice train. i'd defintely use it.

on a side note, anyone find the renaming of ontario and palmdale airports totally lame? ontario isnt even in LA County, and palmdale is an hour away at the minimum, yet they're now "LA". whats next? LA/Palm Springs airport? LA/San Diego airport?

^ Hey why not called all airports in Southern Cal LA/whatever. So they can service some nice Airbus.... possibly the A380... Woohoo!!!!

PS: A 747 is sooooo like yesterday!
☆Fern~Fern~Fern☆
☆Fern~Fern☆
☆Fern☆
☆F☆
Fern~Fern* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #63
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferneynism View Post
^ Hey why not called all airports in Southern Cal LA/whatever. So they can service some nice Airbus.... possibly the A380... Woohoo!!!!

PS: A 747 is sooooo like yesterday!
Because only LAX, Ontario, Palmdale and Van Nuys are run by LA World Airports. Bob Hope is run by the cities of Burbank, Glendale and Pasadena, Long Beach is run by the city of LB and John Wayne is run by Orange County.

The 747 made its debut in 1969. The excitement for the A380 is exactly the same as it was for the 747 back in '69.
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #64
Fern~Fern*
☆Fern~Fern~Fern☆

69.... yeah we needed change. Thankfully A380 will come into service really pronto!!! Woohoo!!!

Bob Hope Airports sucks ass anyways. They can keep their one structure airport and shove it where ever it fits.
☆Fern~Fern~Fern☆
☆Fern~Fern☆
☆Fern☆
☆F☆
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #65
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Quote:
69.... yeah we needed change. Thankfully A380 will come into service really pronto!!! Woohoo!!!

Bob Hope Airports sucks ass anyways. They can keep their one structure airport and shove it where ever it fits.
LOL, You've obviously never flown to/from Burbank. I actually like Burbank airport for domestic flights. The waits and check-in is so much less of a hassle, not to mention very light road traffic and it's much closer to me.
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #66
Fern~Fern*
☆Fern~Fern~Fern☆

I prefer LAX but damn Jetblue does not fly out of LAX. So I have to go to LBC Airport, I have no other choice!!!
☆Fern~Fern~Fern☆
☆Fern~Fern☆
☆Fern☆
☆F☆
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #67
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
LOL, You've obviously never flown to/from Burbank. I actually like Burbank airport for domestic flights. The waits and check-in is so much less of a hassle, not to mention very light road traffic and it's much closer to me.
oh definitely! only thing wrong with Bob Hope is the baggage claim.
LosAngelesSportsFan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #68
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Quote:
I prefer LAX but damn Jetblue does not fly out of LAX. So I have to go to LBC Airport, I have no other choice!!!
JetBlue avoids LAX for a reason...

Except for this one time:

Old March 20th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #69
PotatoGuy

Likes (Received): 1

Airbus A380 Superjumbo Lands at LAX

Last Edited: Monday, 19 Mar 2007, 10:27 AM PDT
Created: Sunday, 18 Mar 2007, 5:05 PM PDT
SideBar

Related Items
Videos

Los Angeles -- The latest jetliner to claim the title of world's biggest passenger aircraft completed its maiden voyage to America on Monday, flying on football field-length wings and a prayer that the U.S. airline industry will want to buy the double-decker jumbo jet.
The four-engine Airbus A380 touched down at Kennedy International Airport at about 12:10 p.m., to the cheers of onlookers gathered to watch the arrival. As the plane taxied, a pilot waved an American flag. A separate A380 was flying to Los Angeles time but devoid of any passengers.

The eight-hour flight is a chance for plane builder Airbus and German airline Lufthansa AG to show off the jewel of Airbus' offerings to potential American buyers and to the airports they hope to turn into flight bases for the jet. The 239-foot-long A380 can seat as many as 550 passengers, hold 81,890 gallons of fuel, cruise at 560 mph and fly some 8,000 nautical miles.

Lufthansa Flight 8940 is meant to be a statement by its builder, the European consortium now called EADS Airbus, that it can accommodate vast numbers of travelers comfortably and efficiently.

"We're talking about an airplane that is representing aviation in the 21st century in terms of efficiency," said Jens Bischoff, Lufthansa's vice president for the Americas.

It was one of the highest-profile maiden voyages since 1969, when the Concorde, the world's first and still only commercial supersonic transport, arrived at JFK from London. The European-made Concorde was retired from British and French service in 2005.

EADS Airbus hopes the A380 -- designed to carry more people farther than any plane in history, though at subsonic speeds -- will dominate air travel for the next two decades.

Waiting in the wings, however, is Boeing, whose 747 jumbo jet has been the world's principal long-haul aircraft for the past 30 years and now has competitors to the A380 in early production.

For Airbus, which has been beset by management and financial problems -- including a two-year delay to the A380 that wiped out more than $6.61 billion in profit forecasts -- the flight is a chance to prove that the plane will be ready when the first deliveries are made in October to Singapore airlines.

Lufthansa chief pilot Juergen Raps, who has flown the A380 before, said that despite the superjumbo jet's size, it was nimble and responsive.

"If I were to compare it to driving, you would think this would be like driving a truck or a bus," he said inside the plane's cockpit. "It's like driving a Ferrari."

The air show began early Monday at Frankfurt International Airport when the took off as Lufthansa Flight 8940 for the eight-hour flight to Kennedy, scheduled to land at 12:30 p.m. EDT. Onboard were 483 people, including four pilots, four Airbus crew members, 23 Lufthansa cabin crew and several hundred passengers, mostly Airbus and Lufthansa employees along with some reporters.

The flight was to operate just as if it were a commercial one with full dining and entertainment services.

After the inaugural run, Lufthansa and Airbus will operate a demonstration flight to Chicago's O'Hare Airport on Tuesday, before returning to New York and then Frankfurt. The plane then heads to Hong Kong and back, before continuing its journey to Washington Dulles International Airport on March 25, with a final stop at Lufthansa's Munich hub on March 28.

Using the performance results from this circuit -- flying the plane as it would be done so if it were in service -- Lufthansa's goal is to match the A380's turnaround time from landing to takeoff with that of much smaller long-haul jets already in operation.

Airbus has 166 orders from 15 airlines for the new plane, which has already made tests flights in Europe and to Asia.

"We are proud that ... we are now able to present the A380 to the American people," said Mario Heinen, the head of Airbus' A380 program.

Thousands of onlookers were expected to line fences at Los Angeles International Airport to see the plane make its West Coast debut. The facility nearly lost out on the highly anticipated landing of the A380 after Airbus announced plans to land the jet in New York instead.

The company revised its plan to allow for arrival at both locations. Los Angeles sped up construction of a $9 million gate for the giant gate to accommodate the plane.

Toulouse, France-based Airbus said that plane will perform tests at the California airport, including airfield maneuvers, docking at the terminal gate and ground and gate handling exercises. The Los Angeles airport, the fifth-busiest worldwide, is expected to be the first U.S. destination for the A380 when it enters commercial service.

The flights come as Airbus looks to put what Louis Gallois, co-chief executive of parent company European Aeronautic Defense and Space Co., called "the worst year for Airbus in its life" behind it. Airbus is seeking to recoup its losses by cutting 10,000 jobs and spinning off or closing six of its European manufacturing plants.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #70
PotatoGuy

video:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...cal&id=5132965
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #71
Fern~Fern*
☆Fern~Fern~Fern☆

WHOA!!!! Thanks Mr Potato for the Vid!!!!

Does anyone have any idea what time the A380 is landing in Chicago?
☆Fern~Fern~Fern☆
☆Fern~Fern☆
☆Fern☆
☆F☆
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #72
PotatoGuy

I know its supposed to land in Chicago tomorrow but idk what time
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #73
Fern~Fern*
☆Fern~Fern~Fern☆

Tomorrow.... What happened with today. By tomorrow it's not going to be as exciting as today.... History in the making*
☆Fern~Fern~Fern☆
☆Fern~Fern☆
☆Fern☆
☆F☆
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #74
PotatoGuy

I know.. if I lived in Chicago I'd be very dissapointed, but I don't, so I'm not
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #75
ArchiTennis
Angeleeeeeeeno

Likes (Received): 4

You'd be even more dissapointed if you lived in Houston!!
ArchiTennis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #76
PotatoGuy

probably
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:21 PM   #77
savvysearch

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I think you may be in the minority. People tend to love the smaller airports. No long lines, no long waits, no long walks to the terminals, quick and efficient.
savvysearch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:33 AM   #78
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 12

agree. flying out of burbank, the hopester's airport. everything went smooth. till i got back and had to wait in that tiny room for my bags. redesign that, and thats all ill use for domestic

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:07 AM   #79
Fern~Fern*
☆Fern~Fern~Fern☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvysearch View Post
I think you may be in the minority. People tend to love the smaller airports. No long lines, no long waits, no long walks to the terminals, quick and efficient.

Unless they like small box airports where your afraid of farting.... You'll stink up the entire Airport...
☆Fern~Fern~Fern☆
☆Fern~Fern☆
☆Fern☆
☆F☆
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:42 AM   #80
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Quote:
Unless they like small box airports where your afraid of farting.... You'll stink up the entire Airport...
Lay off the beans, Fern.