daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #341
Mr. Hightower

Likes (Received): 0

Developers of condo project sue alderman

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=26919

PDNA thought the developer would bow to Fioretti and the Zoning Dept.:

Developers of condo project sue alderman

By Alby Gallun
Oct. 26, 2007
(Crain’s) — The developers of a South Loop condominium project have gone to court to block a zoning change by Alderman Robert Fioretti that would shrink the 490-unit development, which some neighbors have criticized as too large.

Kargil's X/O Condominums project
Affiliates of Kargil Development LLC have sued the 2nd Ward alderman, arguing that his proposal to change the zoning for the property at 1712 S. Prairie Ave. is illegal and comes too late. Though the City Council last year approved a project with two towers — one about 450 feet tall and the other 310 feet — the change would cut their height to a maximum of 225 feet, forcing Kargil to remove about 100 condos from the development, called the X/O Condominiums.

“I believe this a clear abuse of aldermanic power,” says Kargil Principal Keith Giles. If the measure stands, “it would be a horrible precedent.”

Mr. Fioretti’s office said it would issue a statement on the lawsuit later Friday.

The alderman, whose ward includes the project, introduced the zoning change in July, but on Thursday he asked the City Council’s Committee on Zoning to postpone consideration of the proposal, a sign that he knows he doesn’t have the votes to pass the measure, Mr. Giles says. Contending that the delay has fueled uncertainty about the project, Kargil wants a judge to stop the alderman from delaying the vote.

Related story: Proposed zoning change threatens South Loop project

The lawsuit, which was filed Thursday in Cook County Circuit Court, also goes a step further and asks a judge to rule that the proposed zoning change is illegal. Courts have generally ruled for developers in similar cases if the developers can establish that that they spent a significant amount of money on a project before the city passed more restrictive zoning.

Mr. Giles argues that he has a strong case, noting that Kargil has already spent more than $28 million on the development, a figure that includes bank debt, marketing costs and land acquisition costs.

Yet amid the uncertainty, sales at the development have been stuck at about 200 units since July.

“His filing of this ordinance has caused us harm in the marketplace,” Mr. Giles says. “People don’t understand the situation and have been reluctant to buy from us. Our competitors are using this against us.”

Two neighborhood groups support the XO project, which was designed by renowned Chicago architect Lucien Lagrange. But a third group formed to oppose the project, contending that its two glass towers don’t fit with the neighborhood. The development would sit across the street from the landmark Glessner House in the Prairie Avenue Historic District.
Mr. Hightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #342
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

This should be fun to watch. Let's see what Fioretti says and does next.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #343
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 1070

I was also taking photos in Daniel Webster Park at 14th and Indiana/Prairie taking a few photos and I ran into a few "persons" from PDNA who were attempting to collect signatures to support the alderman in the downzoning of the X/O site.

Hopefully they're unsuccessful.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #344
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

They can petition away, but it's up to the courts at this point
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #345
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
I was also taking photos in Daniel Webster Park at 14th and Indiana/Prairie taking a few photos and I ran into a few "persons" from PDNA who were attempting to collect signatures to support the alderman in the downzoning of the X/O site.

Hopefully they're unsuccessful.

You should have snatched that petition and run like the wind.

Last edited by skobabe8; November 8th, 2007 at 04:22 PM.
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #346
Chitowner245

A dude from PDNA came over by my building too, and I said to him, "Oh, those X/O buildings? Those are really cool lookin'! " And I walked away. I hope they're unsuccessful as well. Those buildings are so neat and progressive- they're works of art, and exactly what this part of town needs. Pile driving would be music to my ears, especially since PDNA living there would have to put up with it.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #347
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

I'm puzzled what they think a petition will accomplish at this point.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #348
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I'm puzzled what they think a petition will accomplish at this point.
I guess they're just trying to drum up as much support as possible for their cause.

A last ditch desperate attempt.
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #349
Prairie Avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
A last ditch desperate attempt.
PDNA is sophisticated enough to know they won't have any legal effect.

One of their positions is that the 2 community organizations that blessed the project, which Giles points out in every statement, don't represent the Prairie District residents. Signatures are in one way a test of whether PDNA's position is embraced by the surrounding neighbors and also of their political power.

They will also be useful in terms of gauging organizing and output capabilities. It is fine to say you speak for the neighborhood, but it is another thing to live up to your self-anointed status.

Hey, has ERMDIEGO served enough of a sentence in purgatory to be allowed back to the forum or is the banned status permanent?

Last edited by Prairie Avenue; November 9th, 2007 at 11:14 PM. Reason: redundant
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #350
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

It might be more effective if they would actually run for the GSLA board and set policy, instead of complaining about it afterward.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #351
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Avenue View Post
Hey, has ERMDIEGO served enough of a sentence in purgatory to be allowed back to the forum or is the banned status permanent?
^ I don't think he should ever be allowed back. If some of you have witnessed his childish behavior at YoChicago ever since the banning, you'll know that some people never change
Old November 10th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #352
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Signatures are in one way a test of whether PDNA's position is embraced by the surrounding neighbors and also of their political power.
^ Uhh, no. Signatures are BS. We all know that, and I'm sure Alderman Fioretti is intelligent enough to know how little actual value they hold.

If my neighbors come to me about some issue that I could care less about, waving some petition but approaching me in a friendly enough manner, I'll probably sign it. Most people would.

The vast, vast majority of those signees won't be particularly angered, nor will they punish Fioretti by not voting for him in the next election, if he approves X/O. Petitions are virtually worthless
Old November 12th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #353
Prairie Avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Uhh, no. Signatures are BS. We all know that, and I'm sure Alderman Fioretti is intelligent enough to know how little actual value they hold.

The vast, vast majority of those signees won't be particularly angered, nor will they punish Fioretti by not voting for him in the next election, if he approves X/O. Petitions are virtually worthless
You miss the point. If you get a thousand signatures opposing XO it is highly likely that the majority of them are meaningless in terms of people who are outraged about XO or even that if XO is built they would hold it against Fioretti come voting time. We can agree on that but it doesn't take away from my post.

If you have 1000 signatures from nearby residents you can use that in your public pronouncements -- "look at all the opposition." It also demonstrates something very important to politicians about PDNA, that they can go out and get somethign accomplished. Every person running in the upcoming primary had to file petitions and they are a pain in the ass. A group that can get out and colect signatures is a beneficial ally to any politician.

Legally the signatures are meaningless. Politically they can become meaningful.
Old November 12th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #354
Chitowner245

XO will eventually happen anyway. I'm just going to ignore any negative implications/chatter, and blissfullly await the day ground is broken for this great development. Hopefully, the base can be changed though b/c it's absolutely awful- one of the worst I've seen.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #355
slooparch

Likes (Received): 5

Prairie Avenue

Quote:
One of their positions is that the 2 community organizations that blessed the project, which Giles points out in every statement, don't represent the Prairie District residents. Signatures are in one way a test of whether PDNA's position is embraced by the surrounding neighbors and also of their political power.
Mr. Downtown is right, you should get involved in the GSLA because it does indeed represent Priaire Avenue, it just doesn't represent every NIMBY concern...as witnessed by how many local residents are on this thread, were approached by PDNA and refused to sign....

Interestingly, I heard through the grapevine that the PDNA is now supporting the Rokas development at Prairie and 21st after initially opposing it...what changed? I understand that one of the board members was promised business by the developer...
slooparch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #356
Prairie Avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitowner245 View Post
Hopefully, the base can be changed though b/c it's absolutely awful- one of the worst I've seen.
Agree 100%
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #357
Prairie Avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooparch View Post
Mr. Downtown is right, you should get involved in the GSLA because it does indeed represent Priaire Avenue, it just doesn't represent every NIMBY concern...as witnessed by how many local residents are on this thread, were approached by PDNA and refused to sign....

Interestingly, I heard through the grapevine that the PDNA is now supporting the Rokas development at Prairie and 21st after initially opposing it...what changed? I understand that one of the board members was promised business by the developer...
But if you are right involvement in GSLA would not be effective in promoting their agenda. They want to have influence on a more limited geographic scale than GSLA, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Interesting grapevine on Rokas. The chatter is out there we will have to wait to see if accurate.
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:20 AM   #358
slooparch

Likes (Received): 5

The alderman has withdrawn his proposed ordinance. XO now has all required support from the city.
slooparch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #359
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

I don't know - I'd like to see some validation too. That seems almost too good to be true. As much as I'd like to see X/O built, I want some proof that Fioretti has backed off.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #360
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I don't know - I'd like to see some validation too. That seems almost too good to be true. As much as I'd like to see X/O built, I want some proof that Fioretti has backed off.
I've heard this as well. I plan on going to the zoning meeting tomorrow, so I will report the results back here.

I don't think that Migra should have been banned so easily. He hasn't really done anything yet to warrent it. Also, even if he was ED, I found the guy hilarious even if he was an ass. He made me more determined to fight to get this tower built.