daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #41
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Eiffel Tower. Big Ben and ESB. The WTC towers donīt come close, they were built in the 70s!
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #42
PerthCity

Likes (Received): 104

Anyone who seriously states the Empire State Building obviously didn't read the question properly (most photographed building- which would take into account tourist numbers in each city, and ease of photography of the building) or they haven't stepped foot out of the US.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
PerthCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #43
Meepy

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachRes44 View Post
Anyone who seriously states the Empire State Building obviously didn't read the question properly (most photographed building- which would take into account tourist numbers in each city, and ease of photography of the building) or they haven't stepped foot out of the US.
You fail at trying to sound smart. What you just said furthur shows ESB is a strong competitor in this question. Since New York is currently the leading U.S. city in tourists, and the ESB is pretty easy to photograph.

Also, you don't have to step out of the U.S. to realize all of the great buildings of the world.

Meepy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #44
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

When I was in NYC I didn't care much about ESB, all in all I might have taken a couple of pictures only. I took more of Chrysler tower.

If Eiffel Tower can be included in here, no doubt it will be the most photographed and ESB will not come close to challenge it. NYC might have 40 million visitors a year but not all of them go to Manhattan, while tens of million of people visiting Paris each year WILL go to see the Eiffel Tower.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #45
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
NYC might have 40 million visitors a year but not all of them go to Manhattan, while tens of million of people visiting Paris each year WILL go to see the Eiffel Tower.
Hmmm.... I will say that 98% of the NYC visitors do go to Manhattan. At least for half a day. Even so the Empire State building can be seen from other places outside Manhattan aswell. And so are you sure that tens of millions of people go to Paris just to see the Eiffel Tower. It is like saying tens of Million go to NYC to just see the Statue of Liberty.

krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #46
pilotos
καταχωρημένος χρήστης

Likes (Received): 12

No one even mentioned parthenon...?!?!
Google search for images gives 64.400 results, not that this means that thats all the photos that ppl taken of this, photos existed before internet after all, and parthenon certainly is , if not the most, on of the most photographed buildings.
pilotos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #47
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post
You sound incredibly ignorant to me.
Wow, i guess I did sound incredibly ignorant... it was 5 am, my thoughts must've been muddled... lol, from that it looks like I was saying the leaning tower was in London... and I guess I didn't make my point clearly enough, Big Ben is one of the most recognized, but I dont think its one of the most photographed... my apologies

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008

Last edited by gladisimo; March 4th, 2007 at 11:53 PM.
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #48
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotos View Post
No one even mentioned parthenon...?!?!
Google search for images gives 64.400 results, not that this means that thats all the photos that ppl taken of this, photos existed before internet after all, and parthenon certainly is , if not the most, on of the most photographed buildings.
Haha, that's why I mentioned the colosseum as well, I think its difficult to ascertain which one is the most photographed, and also an entirely different matter to try and figure out which one receives the most publicity (ie most recognized) Like I said before, I sincerely doubt Big Ben is the most photographed building in the world, but it is one of the most recognized for sure.

Also, we have to take into account whether a building is photographed in its entirety or is photographed specifically. One more thing about one of the posters above is that there is a major flaw if you only consider tourist number for how often a building is photographed, as many of the local population probably take pictures of landmarks (on purpose or otherwise)

Old March 4th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #49
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Honestly, i doubt anyone knows what big ben really is.

Sorry but that's just ridiculous.
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #50
sun&sun
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Paris attracts the most tourists of the world so the Eiffel tower!
sun&sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #51
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Likes (Received): 1

I find it funny when people come up with google hits to in some way prove how many times a building was photographed...

ORANJE

www.pbase.com/th0m for photo's
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #52
krull
In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post

Sorry but that's just ridiculous.
I confess I did not know about the Big Ben until I came to this forum.

I am from Colombia and I knew about The Eiffel Tower, The Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building since I was a child. I think is because of the movies. I recognized the Big Ben from photos later in life. But I learn the name of the building later on aswell. It is a beautiful building but you have to kind of find out about it to learn more about it. I just ask some friends and other people I know about Big Ben and nobody knows about it. They can't even picture it in their head. I guess you have to open a travel book or travel to London to learn more about it. Or I guess most are just ignorant people. But there is alot of people you might be calling ignorant just because they don't know the name of that building or recognized it.

The Eiffel tower, The Statue of Liberty and The Empire Estate Building are well know to people. Especially since they are and were shown in many movies around the world. Even it the most earliest movies.
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #53
Sagaris

Likes (Received): 51

Certainly not the Empire State building. Outside of the people on this forum and your average american, how many people on earth know what ESB even is? Do you actually think people visit NY to photgraph ESB?

I have to say the Eiffel tower makes the best case. The Great wall, Giza, Parthenon, Colosseum, Basilica di San Pietro and maybe Taj Mahal are also well photographed.
Sagaris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #54
krull
In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagaris View Post
Outside of the people on this forum and your average american, how many people on earth know what ESB even is? Do you actually think people visit NY to photgraph ESB?
People who watch alot of movies and TV shows. Which is a big population. When they get to NYC that is what they want to see. I have a friend who works for a tourism company and she said almost all tourist want to see the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty. Ground zero (where the twins were) seems to be popular too. But that is not a bulding.

Even my family and friends who first visit me want to see it aswell.
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #55
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagaris View Post
Certainly not the Empire State building. Outside of the people on this forum and your average american, how many people on earth know what ESB even is? Do you actually think people visit NY to photgraph ESB?

I have to say the Eiffel tower makes the best case. The Great wall, Giza, Parthenon, Colosseum, Basilica di San Pietro and maybe Taj Mahal are also well photographed.
Yea, its probably true. Like I said before, I think many people know what Big Ben is, but not that its actually called "Big Ben" just "that clock tower thing in London". I bet when people think of New York, the Statue of Liberty comes number 1, in front of the ESB and WTC. China is probably clumped as a whole, and its about the Great Wall.

But like I said, this probably reflects the buildings prominence rather than the actual times its photographed.

It's kind of like, San Francisco is about the GGB, Toronto is about the CN Tower, and Sydney the Opera House. It's what makes the city unique and instantly recognizable.

Old March 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #56
Austraarabian
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Get over it. Big Ben is probably not even part of the top 100. Big Ben lives across the road from me.
ESB for sure! its in like every movie !! hahahahahaha at the thought of big ben. Imagine asking sum1 in the street wat a big ben is, they will say "is it that fat guy" highly doubt many ppl know wat big ben is - its not even as recognised as Sydney Opera House (no.3 in the world). ESB or Eiffel Tower (no.1 recognised building) or something in Europe. ANd definite contender SOLIBERTY.
Austraarabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #57
bpg_nl

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austraarabian View Post
Get over it. Big Ben is probably not even part of the top 100. Big Ben lives across the road from me.
ESB for sure! its in like every movie !! hahahahahaha at the thought of big ben. Imagine asking sum1 in the street wat a big ben is, they will say "is it that fat guy" highly doubt many ppl know wat big ben is - its not even as recognised as Sydney Opera House (no.3 in the world). ESB or Eiffel Tower (no.1 recognised building) or something in Europe. ANd definite contender SOLIBERTY.
You have to keep in mind that the average tourist isn't as interested in skyscrapers as we are. The ESB is well known because of its presence in a lot of movies but so is all of NYC. I think the average tourist wants to photograph landmarks which make me think the Eiffel tower, the Big Ben and the statue of Liberty are all more photograped than the ESB but maybe i'm wrong, i'm no expert

I consider the Great Wall of China as a serious contender as well since tourism in China is really booming atm.
bpg_nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #58
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

Big Ben

Well it seemed to do well in these threads...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=280115
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=306738

And Big Ben does appear in lots of movies and TV shows
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #59
taboe
taboe

Likes (Received): 380

Taj Mahal

No way it's ESB or Big Ben, you guys all see it from a Western world perspective. China and India alone have more than 2 billion inhabitants, so it's most likely Taj Mahal or the Chinese wall, which are not only visited by Asians, but also by millions of Western tourists...
taboe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #60
Mephisto

ESB, Eiffel, Big Ben, Statue of liberty, Sydney Opera House, Taj Mahal, Pyramids...
Mephisto no está en línea   Reply With Quote