daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #21
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 213

No doubt Milwaukee is the best city in the state, and its UW system school deserves a name change. What the name would be - who knows. University of Milwaukee doesn't sound bad either. I was an original Wisconsin State supporter since the idea began floating around early last year. Both would have a catchy appeal, but Milwaukee doesn't have to be in everything the area has concerning big public areas (examples being Milwaukee County Zoo, the former Milwaukee County Stadium, the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, the Milwaukee Art Museum, the Milwaukee Public Museum....need I throw out more??) Milwaukee needs more names associated with their public facilities/attractions damnit!

Remember THE Ohio State University is in the Columbus area I believe, and that's a very large city.
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #22
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
I never liked the idea changing the name of UWM to Wisconsin State. Wisconsin State sounds like a rural school. It sounds like it could be anywhere in Wisconsin. But it isn't just ANYwhere, it is in the best city in the state!

I much preferred the University of Milwaukee or Milwaukee University. That implies a strong, urban school to me. WSU sounds second-rate to me. I absolutely hate the current hyphen though.

Lots of cities have great universities named after them. Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Chicago, New York, Miami, etc. Why not Milwaukee?
Very valid. And let's keep in mind the Univ. of Pittsburgh, University of Louisvlle, University of Houston, and University of Memphis are all state or state-related universities. That naming system is quite appropraite for a public institution.

And MilwD, correct me if I'm wrong, I was under the impression that "Milwaukee" is already one of the preferred athletic-related names for UWM.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #23
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
No doubt Milwaukee is the best city in the state, and its UW system school deserves a name change. What the name would be - who knows. University of Milwaukee doesn't sound bad either. I was an original Wisconsin State supporter since the idea began floating around early last year. Both would have a catchy appeal, but Milwaukee doesn't have to be in everything the area has concerning big public areas (examples being Milwaukee County Zoo, the former Milwaukee County Stadium, the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, the Milwaukee Art Museum, the Milwaukee Public Museum....need I throw out more??) Milwaukee needs more names associated with their public facilities/attractions damnit!

Remember THE Ohio State University is in the Columbus area I believe, and that's a very large city.
University of the Great Lakes? Great Lakes University?

Three Points University (from the three settlements in downtown Milwaukee that joined together to form a city). Tri-Points University?

Continental University (from its mid-continent location) Interium University (from "interior")

La Follette University
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #24
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Very valid. And let's keep in mind the Univ. of Pittsburgh, University of Louisvlle, University of Houston, and University of Memphis are all state or state-related universities. That naming system is quite appropraite for a public institution.

And MilwD, correct me if I'm wrong, I was under the impression that "Milwaukee" is already one of the preferred athletic-related names for UWM.
yes, i believe their basketball jerseys just say "Milwaukee" now. Which is a start.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #25
brewcityfan

Quote:
University of the Great Lakes? Great Lakes University?

Three Points University (from the three settlements in downtown Milwaukee that joined together to form a city). Tri-Points University?

Continental University (from its mid-continent location) Interium University (from "interior")

La Follette University
Anything above would be ok except for the Great Lakes ones, since that looks rural, at least it would be to those probably who think Wisconsin State is.

If MilwaukeeD's idea goes into motion, as the University of Milwaukee - which no doubt is a fine name, then please rename some other public attraction in the city. Name the museum after one of Milwaukee's founders or greats in time, or call the Art Museum an Art Institute - SOMETHING!

And as for UW Madison, I don't think they have to worry at all about a name change, all they need to do is eliminate Madison from theirs and we're all good.
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #26
UWMilwaukeeJay

Likes (Received): 1

Just leave it @ UWM. What difference does it make!? You go there to get educated..you don't go there because of the name "UWM". UWM is already a great school in so many aspects, I dont think changing the name will MAKE it better.
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #27
UWMilwaukeeJay

LOL. I say that, and at the moment I have a "Milwaukee Panthers" shirt on. How ironic? But really-- what is more awesome than having MILWAUKEE and WISCONSIN in the same name. 50% of American's will never know U Wisconsin is in Madison because they took Madison out. I'd imagine most people would recognize MILWAUKEE in University Wisconsin- Milwaukee. wouldn't they?
Old March 11th, 2007, 03:36 AM   #28
edsg25
BANNED

hey, i'm a UIC man and I wouldn't mind getting rid of alphabet soup.
Old March 11th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #29
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMilwaukeeJay View Post
Just leave it @ UWM. What difference does it make!? You go there to get educated..you don't go there because of the name "UWM". UWM is already a great school in so many aspects, I dont think changing the name will MAKE it better.

rebranding would set it apart / allow it to get more donations. image does matter in terms of trying to gain funding / status among other institutions
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 04:39 AM   #30
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
rebranding would set it apart / allow it to get more donations. image does matter in terms of trying to gain funding / status among other institutions
the most important thing about exit's observation is tha image does matter even if we would prefer it didn't.

if you really want to see how much it counts, go into any university's web page and count all the information and pictures if you check out "graphic standards" or "identity standards". To the minutest detail, it seems to count. a lot.
Old March 11th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #31
UWMilwaukeeJay

Madison is a great school! enough said. LOL its crazy that every single 'wisconsin' thread turns into a milwaukee issue! I still am for UWM, even though you guys do put up great arguements.
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #32
brewcityfan

Quote:
Madison is a great school! enough said. LOL its crazy that every single 'wisconsin' thread turns into a milwaukee issue! I still am for UWM, even though you guys do put up great arguements.
I'm still trying to understand how the thought of Madison being a bad school got across?? I think its consensus that everybody thinks Madison is a great school. The point is Madison grabs most of the money from the UW system while others that need some extra cash every once in a while get shunned. The UWM name change started because of this very reason. The hope is - with a different name, a name seperated from the traditional UW letters in front, it will not only generate more interest, but also more recognition and money coming towards the university. It's a way of also standing out amongst the crowd of Wisconsin colleges, much like UW Madison stands out right now as the pinnacle of the UW system.
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #33
D-res
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I respect that, brew. but what I am asking is this:

ē Do flagships suffer from having their city's name as part of their own? they seem to shun it. Would the school in your state's capital prefer to be the University of Wisconsin or the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Your neighboring states contain the University of Iowa and the University of Illinois Urbana/Champaign. Which sounds better to you and which would you rather sound like?

ē Do non-flagship schools end up sounding like branches of the flagship? Would the school just off Milw's far north lakefront rather be known as the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM) or Wisconsin State University (WSU) in establishing its own identity?

Words count. Images count. Universities (like every sectgor of our economy) spend millions on image issues...including names and logos.

So I want to go back to this question and would like to get more input if possible...not just from a UW perspective:

Is the concept of a Univ of ____ @ _____ naming system for universities harmful to both the flagship and other campuses?
A lot of people around here wanted to, at the very least, get rid of the hyphen in "University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee" because Madison was the only school to not use a hyphen in their name and some UWM kids felt that should be how it is here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Maybe up in Wausau that's the viewpoint, but in Milwaukee it's not. When I graduated high school with my classmates, most went off to different UW schools with the intent on a year or two down the road transferring to Madison. It's common to see students do that from the Milwaukee area - if you can't get in direct from high school, you get in the backdoor route.
Maybe that's just how it was there. Most kids I know go to one school and if they transfer it's generally not to Madison. There are some that do, but it's not common. I have a friend going to Steven's Point right now planning to transfer to UWM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX100 View Post
Iím at UWL and Iíve always heard that the tuition dollars that I pay donít even stay at UWL. The money that the school acquires from tuition (this is minus anything the UWL foundation receives as donations) is sent to Madison. From there Madison decides what money gets allocated to what school. If this is true then it would show Madison is indeed the center of the hub and not just a spoke in the wheel. Can any one substantiate this with evidence? Iím going to try to do some digging on my own.
Madison is by no means the hub. It is the oldest however and the other schools came after. The thing is, Madison is bigger and "better" and has a lot more alums and a lot more status. The board of Regents, which makes all the decisions and reviews everything regarding the UW system has a strong bias towards Madison and generally things happen in favor of Madison over the other schools in the system.

Last edited by D-res; March 11th, 2007 at 12:38 PM.
D-res no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #34
D-res
BANNED

double post
Old March 11th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #35
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
can anybody with half a brain anywhere in the US doubt that Madison is a great school?
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #36
UWMilwaukeeJay

You are nuts. I made the statement because of the thread topic. It was a joke...like I would question that. The development is great...which this thread is about.
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #37
UWMilwaukeeJay

Oh and for the RECORD*

You guys know your not with the MAJORITY*.

JSOnline

Quote:
UWM students rebuff change
New names such as Wisconsin State University fail in referendum
By MEG JONES
[email protected]
Posted: April 30, 2006
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee students voted overwhelmingly in favor of their hyphen, stifling an attempt to change the name of the school.
After student election officials finished counting ballots Sunday evening, UW-Milwaukee was the victor over suggestions such as Wisconsin State University and University of Milwaukee. The moniker change was promoted as a way to give UW-Milwaukee its own identity over UW-Madison.

But ultimately, students decided they like UWM on their sweat shirts and signs, with 1,286 voting to keep the name unchanged. Wisconsin State University received 804 votes, University of Milwaukee, 312; Milwaukee State University, 82; and Milwaukee University, 28. A write-in campaign for "Jedi Academy" fell woefully short with just 10 votes.

"I think a lot of people were outraged that they were thinking of toying with the name. I heard a lot of alumni were upset," said Independent Election Commissioner Cassandra Gauthier, 23, moments after counting up the last ballots.

With more than 2,500 students heading to the polls last week, the turnout was much higher than previous elections. Last spring, about 1,300 voted. Students also chose a UWM Student Association president, vice president and senators.

Even if most students had voted to change their university's name, approval is needed from the university's administration and the UW System Board of Regents.

Neal Michals, 24, a student senator who sponsored the bill to put the idea to a campuswide referendum, said the results show students want Milwaukee to continue to be a part of their school's name. Michals voted for University of Milwaukee.

"Part of the struggle we have is establishing our identity," said Michals, a graduate student studying administrative leadership. "Ultimately, what we want to do is establish campus pride."

Taylor Briggs, 26, a sophomore political science and criminal justice major, voted to keep UWM because he said tuition and fees already are too expensive without the extra cost of changing signs, letterhead and other things emblazoned with UW-Milwaukee.

Although the referendum may be seen as a setback for name-change proponents, the movement isn't over, said Jim Price, a UWM journalism instructor who is part of a group of students and faculty working to change UWM to Wisconsin State University. The ad hoc group didn't ask for a referendum, which was initiated by the student senate.

"It's not like we're betting all of our chips on the referendum," said Price, pointing out that UWM is actually the sixth name for the school.

Price said the group advocating a change to Wisconsin State University will spend the summer lobbying alumni, UWM administrators and the Board of Regents.

"The fact that the majority were opposed to any name change at all doesn't surprise me in the least because it's Milwaukee - nobody wants to change anything around here," Price said. "I think we've got news for them that a name change is inevitable sooner or later, and we're just trying to make it sooner."
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #38
D-res
BANNED

Well aren't you just a party pooper.
Old March 11th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #39
honest86
Urbanist

Likes (Received): 12

I think one of the biggest problems I have with the UW funding structure is that Madison receives the most money per student from the state.
honest86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #40
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-res View Post
Madison is by no means the hub. It is the oldest however and the other schools came after. The thing is, Madison is bigger and "better" and has a lot more alums and a lot more status. The board of Regents, which makes all the decisions and reviews everything regarding the UW system has a strong bias towards Madison and generally things happen in favor of Madison over the other schools in the system.
I'm puzzled here. You're telling me that Madison, being the capital of the state, being the leading university for the state of Wisconsin in both academics and sports - is NOT the hub?? I understand that being from UW Milwaukee or any other satellite school you wouldn't want to be called lower than another school - because I feel the same sense of pride being in college myself. But UW Madison is by no means just a spoke in the wheel in this whole University of Wisconsin system. That's why I fully understand the reasons behind all the development currently happening at Madison - because they're the hub and they should have the most of everything necessary in order to lure students from around the country to Wisconsin.

BUT that doesn't mean UW Milwaukee shouldn't get some of the rewards either. Milwaukee is the top city in the state, obviously with the most students coming out of high school in the state. They deserve some of the funds Madison gets just because of that particular reason. And yes, UW Milwaukee also gets students from out of state, like Madison.

The two schools in the UW system that get the majority of out of state students is Madison (overwhelmingly) and Milwaukee. That's another reason too why Madison is not a spoke - when people around the globe refer to UW - they look at Madison, and that's for a reason.