daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast > Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2007, 04:33 AM   #81
rhkimb02

Likes (Received): 0

soulbrotha---it looks like an apple store tome....aren't we getting one in the mall soon though???

Sponsored Links

Old March 21st, 2007, 04:51 AM   #82
LouisvilleJake
BOILERMAKER

I doubt they have a bunch of retail leases signed yet - stuff like that will all be announced later in the game.
LouisvilleJake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:08 AM   #83
bolenmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbrotha View Post
wow, thats outrages.

i was actually considering moving to Cincinnati a few years ago, now i don't think i'm going anywhere.
well, i just moved here from cincy and let me tell u louisville is ahead of cincy in most every aspect of city development, from controlling sprawl, to restoring the riverfront, to rebuilding downtown. cincy has more of everything but it has more problems along with it. i mean, i never would have thought that before, but after a few months here i can say that with certainty. if louisville had an nfl team, its current rate of downtown development would remind me of nashville. of course nashville is quite ahead but louisville is taking all the right steps to be a big tourist draw like that. cincy is doing nice stuff but just seems kinda stagnant sometimes, and i have to say im still so bitter nky took much of our disney land type development. louisivlle was smart for building 4sl before indiana did. i mean, i hate fourth street and disney land type hokey stuff but ignorant tourists and suburbanites wont spend money in ur downtown unless you have stuff like that. plus, its good for people like me in my 20s to go have a martini on saturday if for only the women it brings.
well, i am a bit skeptical of this development. first, i really dont like to see any part of an old building torn down, even if they save the facade. also, i dont think 120,000 is a enough retail, and i wonder how it would do without a major anchor. if he is really planning on doing upscale (I know its just a pic but it looks like apple and puma in the pic), i think he needs a major anchor and really needs to shoot more for the 300,000 sf range, or maybe closer in size to the summit. also, is this site in close enough walking distance to most the major hotels? remember fat tourists and conventioneers and suburban people dont like to walk more than a block. i mean, louisville is doing such great things i am just going to start and demand the best. well still good news, that is really the only unsightly block left downtown, except of course some of that ugly surface parking i douubt we would see retail tenants signed for a couple years but i was wondering, what would u guys like to see and think would work? would u rather have local boutiques like some of those ones like clodhoppers and blink in the vogue center or would u rather have places like urban outfitters, lucky jeans, and chipotle? i think those are the types of midlevel lifestyle retail entities that dont exist in the area that would work there, but id like to see it closer to 4th street and the big hotels.
well i just made out another suggestion of a store from that big pic soulbrotha put up. the signage looks dead up like crate and barrel. i mean, i dont recall stores like this entering a new market with a downtown store, but i think those types of things would work anywhere bc i know i for one and some friends drive to indy to shop there. but notice crate and barrel didnt even open in downtown indy. well, am i reading too much into the renderings, bc it sure looks like that signage lol

Last edited by bolenmeister; March 21st, 2007 at 06:13 AM.
bolenmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:21 AM   #84
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Likes (Received): 3

It is near enough to the other major hotels, I think, but most importantly, it is going to be right next to the arena, and what is on top of the arena? A new major hotel. I think that everyone is expecting the big retail to be near 4SL, so this guy is going to put in the sorts of stores that will get people looking around before and after games, and then small stores that will get people wandering in from Waterfront Park. He's probly not shooting for any sort of mall-type atmosphere with that amount of retail space.
I don't personally know what I'd like to see in the space though. On the one hand, its a great location for some retail to directly serve the new DT population, and a nice interior decorating store would be nice; an Apple store, things of that nature, but then if you want to serve more the convention and game crowd, I would say clothing and game stores maybe, but then I would say that I would rather see that sort of retail over in the 4SL development.
So basically, I have no idea what to think.
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:21 AM   #85
JTS LOU
BOOMIN

OK HERE IS WHAT I THINK COULD WORK/DREAM OF DOWNTOWN:

IF AN ANCHOR BECOMES POSSIBLE (Neiman Marcus)
- Aldo Accessories
- Anthropologie
- Arden B.
- A|X Armani Exchange
- Cole Hann
- Crate & Barrel/Restoration Hardwear
- Chipotle
- Disney Store
- Deisel
- Delia*s
- Fossil(possibly though not really upscale)
- MAC Cosmetics
- PUMA
- Tommy Bahama
- Urban Outfitters

& others.. i just cant think of all of them currently. I would also like to note that I think 4SL should also be the major key retail sector.

(you could throw in some other stores such as Banana Republic; The Gap; Abercrombie & Fitch, ect.. that are repeats and this could really work out well)

** i also wouldnt be surprised to see our next PF Changs or Cheesecake Factory downtown in the next 3 yrs...(nothing to write home about but still..lol)
JTS LOU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:32 AM   #86
JTS LOU
BOOMIN

I JUST REALIZED IN THE FIRST RENDERING IT APPEARS AS THOUGH IT SAYS CRATE & BARREL ON THE SIDE OF THE BUILDING IN RED & THE FRONT OF THE BUILDING(right side)
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:36 AM   #87
Soulbrotha
abdulsharifshoots.com

Likes (Received): 13

for some reason i'm dying for their to be a movie theater downtown. since broadway cinemas closed, i really think a movie theater would be nice somewhere in this area..
Soulbrotha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:45 AM   #88
JTS LOU
BOOMIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbrotha View Post
for some reason i'm dying for their to be a movie theater downtown. since broadway cinemas closed, i really think a movie theater would be nice somewhere in this area..
I wouldnt worry. I think a movie theatre will come soon enough. Probably in and around 4th street. Who knows though.
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:32 PM   #89
CardTopper

Don't read too much into the way the signs look. When renderings are drawn the developer will sometimes have them drawn to look like certain retailers. This peaks interest (as can be seen in this thread) and gets everyone excited. I hope all of these stores happen, but don't just assume it because some signs / facades look similar.
CardTopper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:45 PM   #90
CardTopper

I think by the time this is built they will be going for the 20+ stories. Class A vacanies is already below 10%, which means it is time to build. There isn't a major office development outside of MP announced right now (I know about Zirmed, but most of that space is already taken and Zirmed will not be vacating Class A). That is 3-4 years out and we need more class A TODAY! By then I would think it will be REALLY tight.

It will be nice to have the Arena hotel at about 20 stories followed by this.

Now, another one of my lofty dreams.....The Humana Waterside Building is so boxy and blah. However, I think it can be saved and brought up to speed to fit is and really complement the skyline. I wish they would add something (I don't know what) to the outside to break up the boringness of the design. Then, add another 10-20 stories on top in a triangular design. So you would have this large sloping roof. It would be kind of neat and dress it up a lot and then you would have a continuous link when viewing from IN.

Right now it stops witht he LG&E building. It will be continued with the arena hotel (15-20 stoies), Iron Quarter (hopefully 23), CardTopper's Humana Waterside dream (20-30), and Waterfront Park Place (23), then the Blue's parking lot........(I am sure within 10 years there will be a LARGE tower there.)

By the way, I was just looking at Google Earth and noticed a few surface lots directly across Main from Iron Quarter. I am sure this will get developed soon as well.
CardTopper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:42 PM   #91
DaVilleisGr8

I think this development, although a spin off of the arena project, will really serve the downtown residence much more that 4SL. To me, 4SL will always be the entertainment / visitor place for downtown. The Iron Quarter will dress up the eastern part of downtown, where a lot of residential development is happening. I don't view this a late night scene. To me, this part will be busy during the day and evening, with the night crowd still being on 4th Street.

BTW, any ex-Louisvillian that comes back to visit in 2010 will not recognize downtown. That is so exciting.
DaVilleisGr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:48 AM   #92
Jeff_of_Dayton

Iron mid-rise is cool. I like the design, the way they work with the curtain wall and framework and glass. This is going to be great to see at night.

Base building: I see two facade treatments shown for Washington Street. This is the make-or-break part or the design. I prefer the more "busy" treatment as it will activate the streetscape more. The less busy the more blocky and dead it will look.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:52 AM   #93
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 8

Great proposal. Whiskey row has so much potential. BUT, did I read the article correctly, only 20,000 SF of commercial/retail space? If so, that isn't very much, at all. Considering the average Aldi Grocery Store is only 20,000 SF (I know this because the Town I work for has a proposal for an Aldi). I wouldn't count on too many retail shops if that is the size. Hopefully this will have great interest and the amount will be increased.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:28 AM   #94
JTS LOU
BOOMIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
Great proposal. Whiskey row has so much potential. BUT, did I read the article correctly, only 20,000 SF of commercial/retail space? If so, that isn't very much, at all. Considering the average Aldi Grocery Store is only 20,000 SF (I know this because the Town I work for has a proposal for an Aldi). I wouldn't count on too many retail shops if that is the size. Hopefully this will have great interest and the amount will be increased.
I read that but I beleive they left out a 1(20,000) making it 120,000 sqft. I believe i saw the 120,000 in the business first or courier journal..idk which one.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:51 AM   #95
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Likes (Received): 3

120,000 sf is the correct number.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:03 AM   #96
bolenmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
well no, 120,000 sf is the actual amount of retail space included. thats a typo from the paper i guess lol. out of curiosity, how many sf is circle center in indy? i was thinking this develpment really needs 300,000 sf to give it all the mall type national retailers needed downtown. i think iron quarter will give lville some nice retail downtown but i think this retail is more geared towards residents in the east main/market loft district. well i think and hope that the major downtown retail development annoucnement is coming soon right by the marriott, and i think it is from what ive heard on these boards and what i read the mayor say.
bolenmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:11 AM   #97
LouisvilleS

A project doesn't need to have over 300,000 sf to attract tenants and make it a great retail strip. Take, for example, 730 N. Michigan Ave. in Chicago (don't ask how I stumbled upon this). It was developed in 1997, and contains 220,000 sf of retail, which includes American Girl Place, Banana Republic, CompUSA, Polo Ralph Lauren, Pottery Barn, and Tiffany & Co. Sure, there are many more stores in the area, but this center didn't need 150,000 of filler shops to make it what it is.

I got the following pictures of 730 N. Michigan from the website of its architect The Thomas J. Klutznick Company:

LouisvilleS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:43 AM   #98
rhkimb02

Bolenmeister::: why do you think that new retail development will be right by the Marriott????
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:43 AM   #99
rhkimb02

Edison Park

hey this project should be really great for Butchertown and it seems to be going up this spring!!! here's the article::

Butchertown
Planning panel praises plan for condominiums

By Bill Pike
bpike@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

Comments by the Louisville Metro Planning Commission were short and to the point during a recent review of a condominium project proposed in Butchertown.

"It's nice-looking," Rich Carlson said. "A welcome addition."

"It's exactly what Cornerstone 2020 is all about," chairman Sue Ernst said, referring to the metro development guide. "It's perfect reuse of a property."

Making a motion that the commission recommend its approval, Susan Hamilton praised the project because, among other reasons, it would provide a new type of housing in the area and would reuse historic buildings.

The commission then unanimously voted to recommend a zoning change the project needs. Sycamore Station LLC, led by David Buchart, wants to develop 25 condos on 1.1 acres at 129 N. Shelby St. and 800, 802 and 804 Franklin Street. The Louisville Metro Council will have final say.

Butchertown Neighborhood Association President Jim Segrest said the group gave the proposal "universal support." Segrest also noted the Historic Landmarks and Preservation Districts Commission gave Edison Park a Certificate of Appropriateness.

"It's not easy to satisfy landmarks and the neighborhood," Segrest said. Paul Whitty, a lawyer who represented the developers, said the project would blend in with the neighborhood.

The project, to be called Edison Park in honor of inventor Thomas Edison, who once lived nearby on Washington Street, would involve renovating four buildings and constructing three new ones.

Wesley House Community Services used the existing buildings and the playground behind them until it moved last year.

Proposed for renovation are:

Two late-19th century buildings facing Washington Street. Six condos are proposed in them.

A Queen Anne-style house immediately east of those building. It would have four condos.

A gym behind the buildings, which would house six loft-style condos.

New buildings would include a row of five townhouses facing Franklin Street and a row of four townhouses facing Shelby Street.

The third new building would be a four-car garage behind the row houses. Parking plans also include 14 underground garage spaces, 16 parking-lot spaces and 12 spaces on the streets.

Units would have from just under 1,000 to 2,200 square feet. Prices would be $195,000 to $475,000, Buchart said.

Edison Park condos would have rooftop gardens and balconies to make up for the lack of lawn space, as permitted by regulations approved last year. The project is the first proposed rezoning that seeks approval under the regulations, called traditional design alternatives.

The Butchertown Architectural Review Committee of the Landmarks Commission praised Edison Park's density and architecture for being "respectful" of Butchertown's historic character. The committee also applauded the project for not indulging in "false historicism."

The developers hope to begin construction this spring. The first units could be ready by fall and the project finished in about three years, Buchart said.

Reporter Bill Pike can be reached at (502) 582-4243.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:22 PM   #100
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 8

Circle Centre is about 950,000sf. I will need to confirm, but I think the downtown Nordstrom is 120,000 itself.

Saving the facades of the buildings is a must! I really like the tower design too. Louisville is doing very well. Once the arena opens, I would expect even more development to pop up.

Tags
louisville