daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:14 PM   #21
JDawgboyATX

Likes (Received): 27

Actually those figures are already off. The city has new numbers showing Austin as of May 2007 at around 730,000 inside the city limits.
JDawgboyATX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:51 PM   #22
Goothrey
Savor the Flavor

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDawgboyATX View Post
Actually those figures are already off. The city has new numbers showing Austin as of May 2007 at around 730,000 inside the city limits.

Dont forget the 44-Story 21c Austin Museum Hotel & Residences:

http://oxblue.com/client/novare/austin360/index.html

Last edited by Goothrey; June 22nd, 2007 at 11:36 PM.
Goothrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #23
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

What streets will that be on? Someone told me most of these buildings going up are sold out. Also another guy told me that he hopes our "condo boom" doesn't turn into a condo bust like it did in Atlanta and turn into "projects." With all of them sold out I'm not sure if we'll see that happening.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #24
Goothrey
Savor the Flavor

Here is the article:

http://www.statesman.com/search/cont...1/11hotel.html

It is located at Third and Brazos streets. I believe that fills the gap between the Frost Bank and Hilton.
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #25
FM 2258

Great article. I think this will make a great addition to the skyline. Also you're right about filling that gap between Frost Bank and the Hilton. With all the clubs downtown I think we'll see much more beautiful women down there with all these condos close by.
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #26
drmadham

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Great article. I think this will make a great addition to the skyline. Also you're right about filling that gap between Frost Bank and the Hilton. With all the clubs downtown I think we'll see much more beautiful women down there with all these condos close by.
Amen to that
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #27
ROYU

Likes (Received): 346

Very nice boom for a medium size city. That shopping district is very nice.
ROYU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #28
izaac23

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
MetroRail Train Complete, Ready For Testing
from KXAN March 28, 2007

If you're sick and tired of battling traffic day and night, there's some good news. The Capital MetroRail is almost here. This is the first of six urban commuter rail trains just finished in Switzerland.
Each train will hold 200 passengers, along with places to put bikes and luggage.
The MetroRail is expected to start in late 2008 and will run from Leander to Downtown Austin. They plan to start testing out the tracks in the next few weeks.
The first train testing will begin in the fall.

What happened to these trains? I havent heard anything about these in awhile so I was wondering if they had possibly stopped because of lack of funds or what?
izaac23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #29
Goothrey
Savor the Flavor

They are still continuing the project. However, the station that is by my house is still full dirt mounds. They are going to put in residential and commercial areas to create density in the area, but I have not seen any construction as of yet.

Last edited by Goothrey; July 30th, 2007 at 09:50 AM.
Goothrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #30
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

July Update:
Thanks to Ivanwolf over at the skyscrapercity
AMLI II Almost done!

Monarch

The Shore

Last edited by Sexas; July 30th, 2007 at 07:27 PM.
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #31
Sexas
Whole Other Country

thanks to Mopacs over at the skyscrapercity

Old July 30th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #32
Sexas
Whole Other Country

A new one for Austin:

July 23, 2007

Members of the Design Commission are scheduled for a briefing on the planned 21c Hotel project tonight.

As explained to the Downtown Commission last week, developers of the hotel are hoping to convince city leaders to grant them a greatly increased floor-to-area ratio than what is currently allowed for the property at 301 Brazos. The change would allow Art Commerce Entertainment Unlimited of Kentucky to build a 580-foot, 44-story tower east of the block where White Lodging plans to build a new Marriott hotel.

Attorney John Donisi of Drenner and Golden said he and developers are still in the process of working with nearby residents and the Downtown Austin Neighborhood Association. They eventually plan to go the Planning Commission for a zoning change on the property from CBD to CBD-CURE to allow an increase from the current FAR of 8 to 1 to a FAR of nearly 20 to 1.

The project will be similar to the existing 21c Museum Hotel in Louisville, Ky., but with several elements reflecting the unique culture and history of Austin. Plans call for a 580-foot, 44-story tower to include an upscale hotel, condominiums and artists’ lofts, and a museum and restaurants.

“This is really trying to capture the theme in the 21c project that exists now…in terms of mixing art and commerce,” Donisi said. That will include reserving some of the approximately 200 condo units within the project at below-market rates specifically for artists. “The theory is that creative folks have been drawn to Austin for a very long time, and we’d like to be able to provide some housing in downtown that may not be accessible right now,” Donisi said. Final details have not been worked out on whether the below-market rate units will meet the city’s definition of affordable housing.

Those condominium units will be in the tallest portion of the tower, which will only occupy a portion of the site at Third and Brazos. Whitley Printing currently occupies the lot, but that business will be re-locating to make way for the new hotel tower.

“There have been a lot of redevelopment projects in downtown Austin, a lot of them located west of Congress Ave. and west of Colorado,” said Donisi. “We’re starting to see some projects moving a little bit over to the east, and this project we feel is well situated one block east of Congress and one block from the Austin Convention Center.”

The hotel will include approximately 220 rooms, but that portion of the tower will not rise as high as the condos. Donisi said the developers planned to comply with standards set out in the city’s Great Streets program and in Austin Energy’s Green Building program. Developers may also take steps to insulate the project from the noise associated with the downtown entertainment district. “We are being educated about loud noise by our friends at The Railyard,” Donisi said, referring to the condominium complex on Fourth Street. “That’s what they deal with all the time.”

Developers did not ask the commission for a recommendation but commissioners reacted favorably after asking a few questions. Art Commerce Entertainment hopes to begin construction on the $220 million project early in 2008.

Pictures thanks to Strayone over at the skyscrapercity
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #33
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goothrey View Post
They are still continuing the project. However, the station that is by my house is still full dirt mounds. They are going to put in residential and commercial areas to create density in the area, but I have not seen any construction as of yet.
Are you living in duval area, I saw that...I wonder the same thing.
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #34
izaac23

I just emailed a representative and he said that everything is still on time and on budget. He also said that they plan to get it fully running by November 2008 and will be adding more tracks in the future as the city grows and becomes denser. So this is good news for everybody whos been rooting for this to happen!
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #35
Goothrey
Savor the Flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
Are you living in duval area, I saw that...I wonder the same thing.
I live in the crestview area. Where huntsman use to be lay piles of dirt. However, I have heard that they have dug all the chemical stuff up and have sanitized the place. Can't have residents getting terminal illnesses now can we?
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #36
Goothrey
Savor the Flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by izaac23 View Post
I just emailed a representative and he said that everything is still on time and on budget. He also said that they plan to get it fully running by November 2008 and will be adding more tracks in the future as the city grows and becomes denser. So this is good news for everybody whos been rooting for this to happen!
I would love for someday to be a track that connects to S.A., New Braunfels, and San Marcos. But this is good news.
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #37
ERGO PROXY

Likes (Received): 1

Austin has the worst traffic in TX and one of the worst in USA; however, light train will not help too much. Most people in Texas hate public transit and refuse to use it.
ERGO PROXY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:03 AM   #38
FM 2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERGO PROXY View Post
Austin has the worst traffic in TX and one of the worst in USA; however, light train will not help too much. Most people in Texas hate public transit and refuse to use it.
I love the idea of light rail but I don't see how I'm ever going to use this thing. I live in North Austin by 620/Parmer Ln. and it looks like I'll have to drive out of my way to get to a station. If I do get to the station it will probably faster and more comfortable to continue driving to the destination instead of stopping to park and wait for the train that really won't take me to where I want to go.

What we really need are some maglev lines connecting Round Rock, North Austin, Cedar Park, Georgetown, South Austin, West Austin, and East Austin to 6th Street. Also we need a maglev line to the airport. I'd love to take the maglev down to 6-4th streets, party, and ask a girl to come back home with me on the maglev. Most importantly is that line to the airport. It's pathetic to drive an hour in traffic for a 30 minute flight to Houston. You might as well pass the airport on 71 and continue onto Interstate 10 to Houston. By the time your plane gets to the airport in Houston you will probably have to drive another hour to your destination anyway.

Wow, this seems like a long rant but I really ******* hate traffic. I leave work later at night sometimes so I don't have to drive through it.
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:41 AM   #39
izaac23

The rail is just supposed to bring people into Austin and once Austin has grown more condense inside the city they will start building more tracks inside the city rather than to outside towns like Leander. They are also building a "MetroRapid" which is a faster version of the bus. That is going to be the one that goes through the city for now until later when the population grows a little more and more people inside the city are looking for public transportation.
Old July 31st, 2007, 07:31 PM   #40
Sexas
Whole Other Country

it need to start somewhere, we don't have the pop. and the money like those Chinese city to build a whole subway system in once. I thing for us comm. rail plus light rail may work for Austin, comm. rail will bring people from r.r., buba and c.p. area to Austin downtown and the light rail will run around on the street level. As Houston and Dallas show bus just don't work in Texas, no metter how nice it is, people just don't get on the bus.