daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #1
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

INDIANAPOLIS | Indianapolis International Airport | Com

Many may not be aware, but Indianapolis is currently building a brand new aiport terminal that is slated to open in late 2008. This will be the first new terminal in the USA constructed since September 11. The aiport is not being funded by any tax dollars. All costs have been raised by landing and take-off fees as well as a good ol' raping of the Airlines.

Here are some facts:

http://www.newindianapolisairport.com/index.shtm

The New Indianapolis Airport:

Midfield Terminal Project

Largest development initiative in the City of Indianapolis’s history ($1.1Billion)
Virtually a new airport
New FAA Tower is the 3rd tallest in the United States
Located within 16 minutes of downtown
Will have direct highway access from Interstate 70

New Passenger Terminal Building

Total area – 1.2 million Square Feet
500 feet of terminal frontage on 1000-foot, 2-level curb front
“Civic Plaza” – large pre-security gathering and concessions space with 200-foot diameter skylight
Domestic baggage claim area 73,000 SF
Central baggage processing area 145,000 SF
Number of domestic gates 38
Number of international/domestic gates 2
Length of each concourse 1,300 FT
Width of each concourse 100 FT
1,100 doors
10,000 light fixtures
11,000 tons of steel (including concourses)
Moving walkways 10
Elevators 23
Escalators 10
Ticketing hall maximum height 82 FT to roof
Civic Plaza height 60 FT to roof
Concourse departures level maximum height 30 FT to roof
The Terminal will be constructed with a future light-rail/train terminal for Indy's new transit system.

Art At The Airport:

The New Indianapolis Airport will feature a variety of stunning artwork, ranging from shimmering glass walls, to eye-catching murals in glass and mosaic, to colorful designs created in terrazzo flooring. Artists selected to produce the artwork bring a wide variety of cultural backgrounds, artistic media, and international experience with public art to the project.

Ticketing Hall

Located at the departure level of the Terminal
Four islands of check-in counters, each island has up to 24 counter positions, twelve on each side
96 counter positions
16 curbside check-in positions

Gates

Each concourse provides access to 20 gates
Aircraft gates can accommodate a complete range of narrow-body and wide-body aircraft, including regional jet aircraft with passenger boarding bridge access.
Inboard gates can accept narrow-body aircraft up to B757
Outboard gates can accept both narrow-body and wide-body aircraft (B767, B787 and B777 aircraft)
2 international gates on the south concourse (Concourse A) can accommodate one A380 aircraft

International Facilities
24,220 SF Federal Inspection Services (Customs) Area
6 Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) positions
Can process 400 passengers per hour

Domestic Baggage Claim
Located on lower level
6 slope-plate baggage claim devices at 200 LF each
2 dedicated areas for over-sized baggage
15 Airline baggage services offices

Baggage Handling System
Baggage check-in configured as an island check-in system, with four islands each comprising two ticket counter conveyors
100 percent in-line baggage screening system

Security Provisions
Two passenger security checkpoints with space for 22 screening lanes
Access Control Devices and CCTV Surveillance at points of access to the secured terminal building and the AOA (Air Operations Area)
300 feet clearance separation between terminal building and parking structure/surface parking

Electronics
Digital Video/Closed Circuit Television system interfaced with Fire Alarm and Access Control system for verification and response to alarms
Access Control system with more than 350 security related doors and points
If all of the Flight Information Display monitors for the facility were combined into a single screen, the screen would be 18 feet tall and 43 feet wide. The gate podium displays could be combined into a screen that would be 11 feet tall and 31 feet wide.
Integrated Visual Information Display System
Integrated Voice Paging system
Integrated Energy Monitoring and Control System
Facility supports wireless equipment throughout the terminal area

A 250-room, 5-story Westin Hotel will also be built with the new terminal and that is expected to break ground at any day.

http://www.newindianapolisairport.com/flythru.shtm

The Current Airport:

Located 797 feet above sea level
Occupies approximately 7,700 acres (about 12 square miles)
Terminal has 33 gates, approximately 673,000 square feet of space
Served by 10 major and 19 national/regional passenger airlines
Has the nation’s second largest Federal Express hub, which accounted for much of the 1.13 million tons of cargo handled last year, the 8th largest amount in the nation and 20th largest in the world.
Parking garage has 1,800 spaces. Surface lot has 450 spaces, remote lots have 6,665 spaces and Business Class 1,450. Corporate Connection lot has 550 parking spaces. Total parking capacity - 10,915 vehicles.
More than 9,000 men and women work at the airport.
Indianapolis International Airport Runways: Number Length (ft) Width (ft)
5L/23R 11,200 150
5R/23L 10,000 150
14/32 7,280 150

2005 Airport Statistics:

The airport handled 8.52 million passengers
Had 194 daily passenger aircraft departures (average)
Had 39 non-stop destinations (average)
Conducted 222,275 operations (landings and take-offs)
Handled 5,521,198 tons of landed weight
Handled 1,136,545 tons of mail and cargo.

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #2
kcmetro
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. When I was there last year the terminal seemed old and worn out, so I'm sure this will be a nice addition to Indy. When did they start construction, because when I was there last May/June, I didn't see any work going on.
kcmetro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #3
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

This is going to be a great new front door for the City and Central Indiana. Now if we can get the mass transit line built from the terminal to downtown that would be a major step forward.
ragerunner1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #4
cwilson758
Cory

It was U/C then. The project is in the middle of the two runways, so unless you were/are looking for it from the plane, it is tough to see.
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #5
cwilson758
Cory

Sorry, I should have added this dynamic photo of the progress:

Old March 7th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #6
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

That just makes me sooo envious. If only Milwaukee had that ability! Nice looking project.
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #7
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
Sorry, I should have added this dynamic photo of the progress:

Great idea for a thread. What an impressive picture...it's moving along faster than I thought!

From my understanding two stages of the project are already completed: the all-new I-70 interchange and the air control tower/weather service office.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #8
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
Great idea for a thread. What an impressive picture...it's moving along faster than I thought!

From my understanding two stages of the project are already completed: the all-new I-70 interchange and the air control tower/weather service office.
Hell yeah, much faster than I thought as well. One problem is that they revealed over the weekend that construction of the roof has been on hold for over a month while they've been trying to figure out why some beams shifted. As opposed to the Central Library debacle, it sounds like this error will be covered by insurance and they think it won't set the project back (I'll believe that when I see it).

---------------------

March 3, 2007
Work on roof at standstill
For more than 1 month, officials have tried to pinpoint why massive beams shifted
By Karen Eschbacher

Work on much of the new airport terminal's roof has been halted for more than a month as project managers try to figure out what to do about two massive steel beams that shifted during construction.

Officials insist the problem will not push back the $1.07 billion project's opening, scheduled for late 2008, and that any costs associated with the incident should be covered by insurance.

But project managers at Indianapolis International Airport still have not finalized a plan to address the problem and don't know what caused the steel to move.

"We don't know why things shifted," John Kish, project director, told the Indianapolis Airport Authority board Friday. "Something happened that wasn't supposed to happen."

The problem occurred Jan. 24 as crews were trying to jack a giant steel beam into place so it could be connected to the web of steel that makes up the roof structure.

Something went wrong, and the temporary shoring tower used to support and lift the steel column crumpled near the top, causing the truss to drop about 16 inches, Kish said. That movement caused another nearby truss to drop the same distance.

The beams are about 110 feet long and weigh about 25 tons. They are 70 feet off the ground.

No one was injured.

Kish said the goal is to figure out how to safely get the beams back into place and determine whether other parts of the roof were damaged. Project officials will then look into what caused the problem.

To that end, the airport project has hired KCE Structural Engineers of Washington to review recovery plans proposed by the steel contractor and subcontractor, Cives Corp. and Ben Hur Steel Erection.

Kish said engineers are "close to figuring out a repair."

The plan will essentially involve placing additional shoring towers in strategic locations and using them to jack the beams.

Allyn Kilsheimer, KCE's president, said he is also inspecting steel connections to see how many welds and bolts must be repaired.

Asked how serious the problem is, Kilsheimer said, "That's one of the things I'm evaluating. . . . It certainly didn't affect the whole roof."

"Everything is always possible, but I would hazard to say the chances of having to replace steel are very minimal, if at all," he said.

Until the problem is fixed, 100-by-200-foot areas on two floors beneath the beams are off-limits, and roof construction in the main terminal is at a standstill.

That has pushed back some other tasks.

Work on a glass wall in the front of the building had to be stopped, and crews cannot pour concrete in the terminal floor, for example.

Even so, Kish said, the problem shouldn't delay the opening.

That's in part because it happened in the winter, when construction tends to slow down.

He said some contractors weren't scheduled to be working in the off-limits area anyway, or have been reassigned to other parts of the building.

The steel contractor, for example, is doing work in the building's concourses until it can resume work on the main terminal roof, said Ed Hole, the resident construction manager for Hunt/Smoot Midfield Builders, which is coordinating construction for the project.

About 300 workers are still on the site, Hole said.

Once the roof problem is fixed, construction managers will adjust the overall schedule to make up time lost, Kish said.

"It's a significant incident affecting the flow of the work," he said. "These things happen in construction projects. The construction manager is working with contractors to get work re-sequenced."

The incident will have costs associated with it, but Kish said he is "very confident" they will be covered by insurance. The policy has a $100,000 deductible.

Some contractors have already notified project managers that they plan to file claims to recoup losses caused by schedule interruptions. Kish could not say Friday how many contractors have filed notice. The notices, expected to be covered by insurance, do not yet outline how much money is being sought.

In addition, the extra engineering work could carry a significant cost, but Kish said that should be covered by insurance as well.

The initial contract with KCE Structural Engineers was for $200,000, but the final cost for the firm's services "may get into seven figures," Kish said.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...=2007703030509

Last edited by CorrND; March 7th, 2007 at 11:35 PM.
CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #9
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
That just makes me sooo envious. If only Milwaukee had that ability! Nice looking project.
We're already in the process of expanding our airport...
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #10
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
We're already in the process of expanding our airport...
No on the scale as Indy's though. I do remember hearing rumors of ours getting a new terminal but who knows.
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #11
UWMilwaukeeJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
No on the scale as Indy's though. I do remember hearing rumors of ours getting a new terminal but who knows.
Mitchell Airport has a nice terminal for the most part. It may not be big big like Atlanta style, but it serves its purpose. If we get more traffic and more passengers we may need one. Now if lightning strikes and airtran buys out midwest...our airport may expand! IMO. Indy has alot more gate competition and traffic compared to Milwaukee. A new terminal would be sweet though nonetheless.
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #12
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMilwaukeeJay View Post
Mitchell Airport has a nice terminal for the most part. It may not be big big like Atlanta style, but it serves its purpose. If we get more traffic and more passengers we may need one. Now if lightning strikes and airtran buys out midwest...our airport may expand! IMO. Indy has alot more gate competition and traffic compared to Milwaukee. A new terminal would be sweet though nonetheless.
True. Plus the way Indianapolis Airport has developed, the current terminal is quite a ride away from the farther runway. The new terminal is being built between the two main runways, promising to reduce the taxiing for all flights.

The new I-70 interchange should be a nice upgrade too!
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #13
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

A lot of people don't realize that for all practical purposes, the city is literally building an entirely new airport, instead of just merely an expansion. I remember reading at the project website how there's going to be a four-hour window between the time the old terminal "closes" and the new terminal "opens". The taxiways will be all that remain.

Last edited by NaptownBoy; March 8th, 2007 at 04:54 AM.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:01 AM   #14
UWMilwaukeeJay

Proving Indy is a redneck hub lol
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #15
KM1410

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Can anyone find the links to all the artwork that will be installed? That's my favorite part of the entire thing. I especially like the kinetic "breathing" parking garage sculptures.
http://www.newindairport.com/art_at_comm.shtm
KM1410 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #16
OSUBucks#1

Likes (Received): 0

The interactive light dots on the pedestrian bridge seem like they are going to be really sweet. The artwork, overall, seems like it will be really cool. Also, the architecture of the terminal seems like it might be a new step for the city, architecturally. See what happens when they actually have a competition with firms outside of Indianapolis. We do need to push for this a little bit more. It allows for more interesting design.
OSUBucks#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #17
cwilson758
Cory

I think that this airport is really going change Indy for the better. Of all of the projects that Indianapolis has successfully developed over the last 20-30 years, this one should really get people to stand up and take notice. Obvioulsy, this will be Indy's gateway and will instantly force an impression on those who come here. Our current terminal is bad. Poor lighting, low ceilings, and basically a hodge-podge of additions. This new facility will be twice the size of the current terminal and will have tons of natural light, lots of art, and room for major expansion if needed.

We are going big time too...we will have moving walk ways like the big cities
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #18
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

I like the new terminal, the current one is an eyesore.
Does anyone have any shots of what the interior is supposed to look like when finished?
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #19
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
I like the new terminal, the current one is an eyesore.
Does anyone have any shots of what the interior is supposed to look like when finished?

http://www.newindianapolisairport.com/renderingsb.shtm

Last edited by CorrND; March 8th, 2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old March 8th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #20
kcmetro
BANNED

Very nice. Indy's answer to the Sprint Center.
kcmetro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
indianapolis