daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #181
runNgunn

Likes (Received): 0

Urbanophile Indy Airport Opening

Arenn,

Apparently your detailed review of the airport was discussed as part of the opening ceremonies. With so many Indianapolis officials there, maybe they will check out the blog and take into account many of your ideas for the city.

http://blog.indy.org/blog/indianapol...apolis-tuesday
runNgunn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #182
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

run, we'll see about that.

Thanks for the pointer to that link. I heard that the blog was extensively cited, but I was not at the ceremony, nor did I see any video of it (no TV).
Old November 12th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #183
IndyTypeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
run, we'll see about that.

Thanks for the pointer to that link. I heard that the blog was extensively cited, but I was not at the ceremony, nor did I see any video of it (no TV).
Congrats on getting quoted to that extent at the opening ceremony. That is some pretty big recognition in my opinion. But I've mentioned to you before that your writing was worth of being published.
IndyTypeGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #184
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

KUDOS Aaron!!
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #185
arenn

Thanks, guys.

BTW: You might be interested in the renderings of a concept terminal in Columbus, Ohio. It's towards the end of this document:

http://www.port-columbus.com/about/E...mary_Final.pdf
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #186
IndyTypeGuy

I personally like the long concourse concept like DTW has. But I think the plan they have selected allows them to work with their existing space better without too many disruptions.
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #187
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
KUDOS Aaron!!
Ditto! Keep up the good work.
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #188
Indywatch

I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow and looking forward to flying out of the new terminal.
Indywatch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #189
arenn

Please post a full report when you get back.
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #190
IndyTypeGuy

I arrived at IND 2-1/2 hours ago. The concourses are world class. The baggage claim area is great. There is however a few glaring problems in my opinion. This is a case where something looks good on paper and looks good in a 3D design but in real world ops stinks. That would be the civic plaza. It creates a bottleneck where arriving passengers cannot get through people greeting other family members, people standing around chatting, standing around watching planes and can't get around all the clutter in the area. The plaza is just too small for that kind of function. It really needed to be 30% to 50% larger. It is a problem now. What is it going to be like the day before Thanksgiving? What is it going to be like 10 years from now? Also the glare from the sun as it is setting is really bad. You get blinded and can barely see the signs because of it as you are working your way to baggage claim.

The parking garage is great. Don't see any problems with it. Top notch. There is a traffic flow problem out of the parking area. There is a point where basically traffic out of parking has to merge into a single lane on the way to another lane as traffic is merging into that single lane from the other side. Unlike the civic plaza mess this one can be corrected. But until then I see this point as being a high accident area.
Old November 14th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #191
IndyTypeGuy

BTW from the time we pulled off the runway until we stopped at the gate was 4 minutes. Great taxi time.
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #192
UrbanIndy

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTypeGuy View Post
BTW from the time we pulled off the runway until we stopped at the gate was 4 minutes. Great taxi time.
I wonder how much fuel the average flight will save with this new terminal. I'd bet the amount would be staggering. I've had 20 minute long taxis at IND.
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #193
IndyTypeGuy

A news report I heard said it will save airlines something like $12 or $14 million a year.
Old November 19th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #194
SkywlkrSnd

Likes (Received): 1

This is something that's been brought up before and we know we all want it to happen, but it's nice to hear the head of the airport authority echo our sentiments...

-----

From Inside Indiana Business:

"Airport Authority Head Calls Light Rail Connection "A Priority"

Inside INdiana Business.com Report

The Indianapolis Airport Authority Board President believes a light rail line connecting the newly opened facility to downtown Indianapolis is a key component to further economic development in Central Indiana. Randy Tobias makes the comment in an interview with Inside INdiana Business Host Gerry Dick. He says with the $1.1 billion dollar airport opening on-time and on-budget, officials would like to find a way to build a rapid transit line to the airport.

Tobias also says the old airport will likely be torn down and the area redeveloped. He believes the site has plenty of advantages including its proximity to rail lines and interstates.

He beleives the entire airport area has the potential to be one of the biggest economic engines that has opened in Central Indiana in "a long, long time."

Source: Inside Indiana Business"
Old November 19th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #195
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Ballard is behind this idea too. I think that we could actually build the NE line and Airport to DT line simulatenously. The more affluent people live in Hamilton County and it doesn't take rocket science to understand that they probably fly more often too. How about taking the train from 146th all the way to the Airport? I mean, I live right off Kessler at the Binford Intersection. I would love to drive 4 mins to a park-n-ride and take the train to the airport like they do in real cities.
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #196
arenn

No park-n-ride lots in the city - bad news IMO.

Light rail is one thing, but in many cities they are doing non-stop express service to downtown. You get that already on the Green Line bus. An all stops service like the CTA Blue Line to O'Hare is not good. That line takes 45 minutes at best versus a 25 minute drive with no traffic. If you want to do airport rail right, you need a mixture of traditional urban rail and an express service like Stockholm's Arlanda Express or London's Heatthrow Express (which admittedly has a sub-optimal in-city terminal location at Paddington).
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #197
arenn

BTW: Mods, this airport is now Complete, not U/C
Old November 21st, 2008, 07:26 PM   #198
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

I just picked my wife up from the new terminal yesterday and arrivals vehicle area is a complete nightmare. Not only is the curb much shorter than it was at the old terminal but they're having cars, taxis and shuttle buses share the same space. Buses had a completely separate driving and loading area at the old terminal. This was a major oversight with the new terminal.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:21 AM   #199
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I just picked my wife up from the new terminal yesterday and arrivals vehicle area is a complete nightmare. Not only is the curb much shorter than it was at the old terminal but they're having cars, taxis and shuttle buses share the same space. Buses had a completely separate driving and loading area at the old terminal. This was a major oversight with the new terminal.
The emails, letters, and letters to the editor will have to start by alot of people for there to be change. Seems strange that it would be like that and kept like that.
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #200
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
The emails, letters, and letters to the editor will have to start by alot of people for there to be change. Seems strange that it would be like that and kept like that.
I just flew in and out of the new Indy terminal this week. It was easy to navigate, very nice architecture, great art and was one of the best airports I have every been in. They really did a great job with this project.
ragerunner1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
indianapolis