daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #201
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragerunner1 View Post
I just flew in and out of the new Indy terminal this week. It was easy to navigate, very nice architecture, great art and was one of the best airports I have every been in. They really did a great job with this project.
I also flew in and out of IND and I agree that it's wonderful. Having local eateries is a big bonus. Given the right timing (and hunger level) I could actually see myself arriving at IND sometime and going to Shapiros for a sandwich instead of immediately leaving to go home.

Only three things irk me so far (and they're all greatly overshadowed by the positives at IND):

1. The fact that it takes about 10 minutes longer to get there from downtown.
2. The arrivals vehicle area that I complained about above.
3. The elimination of the 30 minute free parking. I know they justified that by providing the cell phone lot, but it feels like extortion to have to pay to park for 20 minutes so you can go inside to meet someone coming off a plane. It used to be free for 30 minutes or $1.50 for up to an hour. Now it's $2 for 30 minutes and $4 for an hour.

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #202
ak72

Likes (Received): 1

The parking is a very valid point, especially if they want the civic center to be a destination outside of the airport itself, which I don't think will happen in the first place, but the expensive parking makes it even worse. If they want people to go in and use the civic center and shop there they should have left the parking where it was.
ak72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #203
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

THere is a big need for a light-rail line connecting the new terminal to Union Station. It would be so awesome if one were built.
Old December 20th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #204
SkywlkrSnd

My wife's travel agency from work arranged a private tour of the airport this past week and I was able to tag along. It's not as big a deal now, since it's open to the public, but I was still pumped about going.

Shot a bunch of photos, most of which everyone has already seen in some form or another, but here are some more... (my apologies if you have seen ones like these.)

Glass passage between concourses, around the Civic Plaza. (Can't go through the plaza since it's pre-security)
image hosted on flickr

Baggage claim looking up at main stairwell/escalator to main ticketing level. I love the lights that are installed under the handrails. Very slick.
image hosted on flickr

Rental car counters in the garage.
image hosted on flickr

Concourse A restrooms. Um...where are they???
image hosted on flickr

It was a very cloudy and overcast day when we went, and there was still a ton of daylight coming through. Oddly enough, except for the Civic Plaza. It was a little dark. Probably because it's so full of glass that it would be blinding on a normal day, so all the glass is darkened and shaded. Overall, though, I really liked the new airport.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:37 PM   #205
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkywlkrSnd View Post
Shot a bunch of photos, most of which everyone has already seen in some form or another, but here are some more... (my apologies if you have seen ones like these.)
Thanks for posting these. I went to the public tours, but it's nice to see what the airport looks like when it's functioning.
Old December 27th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #206
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Here's a link to some cool pix of the airport at night:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569031789YqwtIB
Old December 31st, 2008, 04:03 AM   #207
IndyTypeGuy

Likes (Received): 0

I was at the airport again today. This was my first time using the departures drop off on the upper level. What a wreck. The 2nd half was a cluster of cars trying to get curb space. There were cars trying to get to the curb and cars trying to pull away all in very limited space. Traffic was at a stand still. But that isn't the worst of this horrible design.

Traffic flow gets a big fat "F". There are 2 lanes that go straight through and two lanes that appear to be for passenger drop off. The 2 drop off lanes merge into the two straight lanes at the same time they are curving to the left to go down the ramp. Lets add insult to injury. If you are in the right lane of the two through lanes you will be blindly forced into the left lane of the arrivals pickup road. You can't see whats coming and there is no room to watch traffic and merge in. With a massive blind spot you are shoved right into that left lane.

The designers should be embarrassed by the terrible job they did with the traffic flow. There is no excuse for it. The interchange and highway access was done great. But everything from there and up to the terminal honestly needs to be ripped out and completely redesigned. It is a total wreck and it will certainly cause many wrecks. It is a total failure right now during its first few months of operation which is taking place during an industry slowdown. What is going to happen when the airport is serving 10 million or 12 million passengers? A total disaster.
IndyTypeGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 04:27 AM   #208
arenn

Let's be cautious here. Clearly, the airport guys can't get 100% right to start. The key is, did they get the stuff right that can't be fixed later at reasonable cost?

It sounds like the drop off area (which seemed pretty small to me) is an area of concern. It also seems the some of the signage is confusing in practice. (I'm told by a little birdie that there were supposed to be gigantic "A" and "B" signs over the respective security entrances, but they were axed for some reason).

Let's let the airport settle in for a few months, then see if the authority goes back and corrects things.
Old December 31st, 2008, 05:55 AM   #209
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

I dropped a friend off at the new terminal about a week ago (the Tuesday morning before Christmas) - on a pretty busy travel day - and had no problem whatsoever. Maybe I was just lucky - but really I didn't find anything that seemed particularly complicated. Just stay in the left two lanes until you see the spot where your airline checkin area is - pull into the curb lanes, find a spot to park / stop - drop off your passenger - and be on your way. It really wasn't anything difficult at all. Just my $.02
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 07:23 AM   #210
IndyTypeGuy

I don't think the stuff can be fixed without reworking quite a bit of the roads. The biggest problem comes not from the way in but rather the way out. The absolute biggest problem is the lack of space for merging. That problem exists in more than one place. It wasn't well planned. Some of the traffic flow mistakes looked pretty amateur.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:26 PM   #211
ak72

Over the past month there has been some not so great news coming in from Delta. (For those who don't know, Northwest is now merged with Delta). IND-Austin and San Antonio has been dropped. IND-Denver will not be restarted. And IND-Hartford was dropped from 2x daily to 1x daily. I expect further "right sizing" to go on in here. Delta won't cut out all of the non-hub routes, they still have the corporate contract with Lilly, which is he reason they established the focus city in the first place. For the next few years landing fees will be around $13, which is incredibly high, it is enough to keep people from flying big places like Miami, Seattle, and Newark. They say fees will come back down once a they are in good financial standing again. That coupled with the recession and airlines cutting back flights leads to a situation where you should expect to see a good amount of those shiny new gates empty for at least a couple more years.
ak72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:59 AM   #212
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

I'm just glad we're not Cincinnati. With the Delta - Northwest merger, the rumors I've been hearing are that the Delta hub there is going to be cut back significantly.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:56 PM   #213
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Airport gallery missing a voice

Photo of Israeli, provocative caption removed after complaint

By Heather Gillers
[email protected]

The goal of the photo exhibit at Indianapolis International Airport was to present the city to travelers as a welcoming and tolerant place. But airport officials have given one of those photos -- and its caption -- a less-than-welcome reception.

After the display was up for a month, airport officials have removed one of the photos and its caption because of a complaint -- though they won't say who complained or what precisely was the concern.

"I still don't know who complained and what the nature of the complaint was," said the artist, Indiana University photography Professor Jeffrey Wolin. "I'm just confused."

Story continues here.
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:21 PM   #214
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Doesn't Cincy have a terminal the size of our entire facility that is sitting empty?
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:05 PM   #215
arenn

I don't know if it is that big, but Cincinnati has a lot of unused facilities at their airport these days. It is radically oversized for the type of operation they have. However, I believe they very smartly forced Delta, DHL, etc. to issue or guarantee the debt and sign long term leases, so unless Delta files BK again, the city is probably safe from financial ruin because of the hub pull back.
Old January 10th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #216
IndyTypeGuy

It is just endless bad news out of IND. NW is ending 3 more routes. They are terminating MCO, FLL and BDL. This is in addition to the termination of SAT, AUS, DEN and the summer 2008 termination of MCI and PHL.

We've also lost PIT service on US and last year we lost Frontier service to CUN and we lost AirTran service to MSY. Also it appears that AirTran will not be returning SFO service and they have either terminated FLL service or have made it seasonal when that service was available last summer. I also don't see SRQ service being offered this summer as well.

The airport authority needs to be very aggressive getting new service before things turn very sour. BTW I assume these are not the end of the route changes. I fully expect us to lose NW service to TPA. Can't imagine their LAS service will be too far behind that.
Old January 10th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #217
arenn

It's the nature of the beast. I think we'll be ok in the long term. The focus city was nice, but operations like that are inherently ephemeral.
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #218
IndyTypeGuy

There are a number of holes in the IND service. Here are cities we have no service to.

PIT
SLC
SAN
MSY
SAT
AUS
PDX
BDL

You may be able to add FLL and SRQ to that list as well. Am I missing any big ones?
Old January 11th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #219
philaustin06

as of a couple months ago, we had a direct to FLL on Airtran
philaustin06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #220
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

there is going to be even more cuts coming as the companies try to weather this economic storm. Honestly, I think IND is in much better position than many of our peer airports that are hubs or even relliant solely on cargo.

Tags
indianapolis