daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #41
KM1410

Likes (Received): 9

some new construction pics:

Glass artist Martin Donlin stands with his glass mural, titled "Indiana Flight," at the new Indianapolis International Airport midfield terminal.

The mural features a poem by Indiana poet Joseph Heithaus.

Workers use a giant suction cup machine to install Donlin's mural at the new airport terminal.

Martin Donlin speaks with the press in front of his "Red Streaming" glass mural.

Donlin prepares to pose for a portrait in front of "Red Streaming."

Construction continues at the new midfield terminal, set to open in late 2008.
KM1410 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #42
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

I still can't believe that we will be joinging the big leagues and will "moving" walkways. I ddon't think that they are really needed as Indy isn't a major hub, so its not liker people will be constantly rushing to make connections. NWA has a few connecting flights, but we aren't a hub. This has to be an effort to keep us Hoosiers fat and out of shape
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #43
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
I still can't believe that we will be joinging the big leagues and will "moving" walkways. I ddon't think that they are really needed as Indy isn't a major hub, so its not liker people will be constantly rushing to make connections. NWA has a few connecting flights, but we aren't a hub. This has to be an effort to keep us Hoosiers fat and out of shape
Ha! Nice one!

I wonder if they're just planning for the possibility of more connections in the future. Who knows. I'm sure the walkways are just a drop in the budget bucket.
CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #44
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Won't the new hub actually have less gates compared to the old one?
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #45
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
Won't the new hub actually have less gates compared to the old one?
According to the stats in Cory's initial post for the thread, the current airport has 33 gates and the new terminal will have 38 domestic and 2 international gates. I don't have any confirmation of this, but I have to assume that the new concourses were also designed with future expansion in mind.

Last edited by CorrND; May 11th, 2007 at 10:16 PM.
CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #46
cwilson758
Cory

yes, this new terminal is designed with the capacity to double in size , when needed
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #47
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Indy airport remains on schedule

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...LOCAL/70529035

The new Indianapolis International Airport terminal remains on schedule to open in about 18 months, officials said today.

Officials overseeing construction of the $1.07 billion, 40-gate terminal today took reporters on a tour of the facility.

The actual terminal building is about half finished. As workers continue assembling the steel structure, installing glass windows and doing other exterior work, crews are also busy inside.

The $23 million luggage conveyor system, which includes about two miles of belts, is taking shape. Retail space has been framed out. Electricity and plumbing are being installed.

"We hope to be giving the city an icon -- an image visitors will remember, that residents can be proud of," said John Kish, director of the project.
k2h no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #48
cwilson758
Cory

Airport courts terminal tenants
Event is informational open house for food, retail candidates for $1.1B midfield project.

A year away: Glass goes in at Civic Plaza, the centerpiece of the $1.1 billion dual-concourse airport expansion due to open in late 2008. - Matt Dial / The Star

By Zach Dunkin
[email protected]

You won't find sushi on the menu today at Indianapolis International Airport.

A year away: Glass goes in at Civic Plaza, the centerpiece of the $1.1 billion dual-concourse airport expansion due to open in late 2008. - Matt Dial / The Star

But if Indianapolis restaurateurs David and Maggie Lee get their wish, you will eat their famous Maui rolls and other Pan-Asian dishes when the midfield terminal opens in late 2008.
The Lees, owners of Naked Tchopstix in Broad Ripple, were among the more than 200 retailers and restaurateurs expressing interest in doing business at the new terminal during Thursday's Concessions Outreach meeting at the Radisson Hotel at the airport.
Local and national prospects listened as airport officials did their best sell-job on the 55,000 square feet of retail space available in the main Civic Plaza and the two concourses. The terminal is part of the airport's $1.1 billion construction project.
"This is a viable venture . . . a good match," said Maggie Lee. She was raised in Korea and has lived in Indianapolis since 1994.
"Of course, we understand that a lot of Midwesterners don't like sushi," said her husband, David. "But other people who are flying in here from all over the country may want it."
The purpose of the daylong meeting was to discuss the opportunities and facilities available, explain the application process and requirements, and encourage participation by minority- and female-owned businesses.
Business prospects will vie for approximately 50 storefront spaces, plus other retail opportunities at kiosks and vending areas, said Jerry Wise, assistant project director, finance, for the airport.
Contracts of the tenants at the existing terminal will expire when it closes. Those businesses will go through the same application process.
"We'll be looking for a good balance of strong local, regional and national brands. And we want to create unique concepts . . . not the same thing they are going to find in other airports," said Wise.
One possible new tenant is Paradise Bakery & Cafe, which has more than 50 U.S. stores (including two in Indianapolis, with two more planned). This would be the second Paradise at an airport, following Phoenix Sky Harbor International.
"We are very anxious to get in here," said franchise president Kirk Givens. "Our food is perfect to take on airplanes, and we do a lot of breakfast items. This airport is very busy in the morning."
Another new outsider candidate is EJE Travel Retail, a supplier of famous-brand perfume, liquor, cologne, tobacco products, jewelry and leather goods. EJE has five locations in the New York area, including the Newark (N.J.) Liberty International Airport.
"We see this as an opportunity to move some of our business to the Midwest," said Janus C. Holder, chairman and CEO of the New Jersey-based company. "We see a lot of potential here."
Old July 21st, 2007, 02:55 AM   #49
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

I think that the new airport looks great from the pictures. The design has some balls, and even though I wish those balls would roll a few miles up the road, this terminal is great. Also, bring on the moving walkways. The city needs whatever cool things it can get! Those thing are alittle strange when some I have been on move me like 50 feet. It all reality, some people do need them. Cheers to that terminal!
IndyYeah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 02:59 AM   #50
IndyYeah

My first ex wife and daughter went to Mexico out of Indy a few months ago, and I guess it was great compared to Chicago, and the inspectors were really nice to deal with, as the bags were checked, nail polish removed, but nice and not hastle type.
Old July 21st, 2007, 03:21 AM   #51
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
My first ex wife and daughter went to Mexico out of Indy a few months ago, and I guess it was great compared to Chicago, and the inspectors were really nice to deal with, as the bags were checked, nail polish removed, but nice and not hastle type.
nail polish?
Old July 21st, 2007, 03:31 AM   #52
Paintrain

Quote:
I think that the new airport looks great from the pictures. The design has some balls, and even though I wish those balls would roll a few miles up the road, this terminal is great. Also, bring on the moving walkways. The city needs whatever cool things it can get! Those thing are alittle strange when some I have been on move me like 50 feet. It all reality, some people do need them. Cheers to that terminal!
i thought i heard LOS might get moving walkways from ICC to LOS
Paintrain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:39 PM   #53
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
nail polish?
My daughters sister brought some in her baggage that they took out.
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:41 PM   #54
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
My daughters sister brought some in her baggage that they took out.
what harm is nail polish?
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM   #55
aavmarine

I know that they are building a new terminal, but they are keeping the old one up, right? If so, they will need some sort of light rail way to connect them both for flight like L.A. and Dallas. This is a question by the way. And here is a cool link you guys might like:

http://www.midwestmodel.com/large_airportstaging.htm

http://www.midwestmodel.com/30_indyairport.htm
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:30 PM   #56
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by aavmarine View Post
I know that they are building a new terminal, but they are keeping the old one up, right? If so, they will need some sort of light rail way to connect them both for flight like L.A. and Dallas. This is a question by the way. And here is a cool link you guys might like:

http://www.midwestmodel.com/large_airportstaging.htm

http://www.midwestmodel.com/30_indyairport.htm
The old terminal will be demolished, but some airport administrative buildings and parking lots will be preserved.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:37 PM   #57
aavmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
The old terminal will be demolished, but some airport administrative buildings and parking lots will be preserved.
Where did you hear that and do you have a link? Plus, if they do demolish the old sight, then I wonder what the city has planned for that area?
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 04:44 PM   #58
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by aavmarine View Post
Where did you hear that and do you have a link? Plus, if they do demolish the old sight, then I wonder what the city has planned for that area?
I have heard some talk of an office park in that location.
ragerunner1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #59
cwilson758
Cory

When does work begin on the new Westin Hotel that is planned for in front of the Parking Garage and terminal?
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #60
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

The 1957-built terminal has went through numerous renovations and will be demolished once the new terminal opens.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
indianapolis