daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #61
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Plainfield airs out I-70 development wishes
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...INESS/71212013

By Bruce C. Smith
[email protected]

Plainfield is considering measures that would prevent tall buildings and acres of parked cars around the new interchange of I-70 west of Indianapolis International Airport.

The height restrictions could prohibit tall buildings, communications towers and even trees more than 50 feet in height up to a mile from the ends of the airport runways.

And the prohibition on car rental agency parking lots along the Ronald Reagan Parkway north from the I-70 interchange is intended to keep development along the new boulevard as attractive as possible, town officials said.

The area is just west of the I-70 entrance to the new $1.1 billion Indianapolis International Airport passenger terminal building scheduled to open next year.

The council voted Monday to remove a few words from a 2006 agreement with the Indianapolis Airport Authority on how airport property along the Ronald Reagan Parkway in Plainfield would be developed. The change means that the airport-owned land — about 100 acres — can still be redeveloped for airport purposes but not include rental car storage lots.

Town Council members said Ronald Reagan Parkway is intended to draw quality economic development rather than parking lots and car agencies like those along High School Road next to the current airport entrance off I-465.

Airport Executive Director Robert Duncan agreed with the zoning restriction and said parking and car rental sites will be located elsewhere or on the airport grounds.

“We have planned to accommodate the car rentals close to the terminal. There will be about 7,200 spaces in the parking garage next to the new terminal, and 1,200 of those are for rental cars,” he said.

Even routine cleaning and service of the vehicles will be done on the airport property in a new “quick turn-around” building to be constructed, he said.

Meanwhile, airport management has asked the Town Council to approve an airspace overlay district — a special zoning area to limit the height of buildings or structures in the flight path of airplanes on landing and takeoff.

Duncan said such rules were adopted in 1962 in Marion County but apparently never enacted in Plainfield or Hendricks County. They follow federal air safety regulations.

Duncan, who has long argued for zoning regulations to limit housing and commercial development close to Indianapolis metro region airports, said the airspace district would prevent unsafe obstructions.

The proposal also could help to protect airport communications systems by limiting other communications towers.

The Plainfield Plan Commission has voted in favor of a proposed ordinance to create the airspace district, and the Town Council gave it the first of three readings this week.

Indianapolis: Fastest growing metro (over 1,000,000) in the Midwest. Growth rate of 7.04% between 2000 and 2005.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...bsa-01-fmt.csv
cityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #62
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Hopefully the Ronald Regan Parkway will provide a much more attractive entrance to the airport than High School Road does now.

Indianapolis: Fastest growing metro (over 1,000,000) in the Midwest. Growth rate of 7.04% between 2000 and 2005.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...bsa-01-fmt.csv
cityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #63
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

The entrance will not be off of RR Pkwy. I believe it will be off of 6 Points Rd with the new interchange.
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #64
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

There is a completely separate interchange for the Airport. You can see the ramps are basically already there, but closed off.
Old December 14th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #65
andrewcahn

Likes (Received): 4

arial of new interchange

Last edited by andrewcahn; December 14th, 2007 at 08:29 PM. Reason: wrong tag
andrewcahn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 06:25 PM   #66
SpiderMonkey

Likes (Received): 37

Any updates on progress? Are they still on schedule?
SpiderMonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:12 PM   #67
aavmarine

Likes (Received): 0

Just to let everyone know. If you look at the aerial shot above you see I-70 and the overpass of Ameriplex prkwy. On Ameriplex (rightside of 70 where it curves on the Northside) they are building two new hotels for the airport. A Hampton and a Hilton. I'm with a concrete company who is doing both hotels. When it starts to get a little warm they will start to pour both slabs. Both seem to be pretty big. Maybe 150+ rooms each.

-Lt General Hal Moore
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #68
IndyTypeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
According to the stats in Cory's initial post for the thread, the current airport has 33 gates and the new terminal will have 38 domestic and 2 international gates. I don't have any confirmation of this, but I have to assume that the new concourses were also designed with future expansion in mind.
It isn't Cory's fault since the airport actually lists the wrong information. The current terminal actually has 34 gates.

A Concourse - 8 gates
B Concourse - 6 gates
C Concourse - 10 gates
D Concourse - 10 gates

I don't know how many years ago it was but the A Concourse had the 8th gate added. It has been at least 2 or 3 years. I'm guessing closer to 5 years ago.

The new terminal will have 40 gates. The arrangement will be 20 domestic gates on one concourse and 18 domestic and 2 international/domestic gates on the other. Each concourse can be expanded to handle an additional 10 gates giving the terminal a total of 60 gates. There is also a provision for a future detached terminal with 40 gates as phase 1 and I think it can be expanded to 60 gates. It would be an X shaped terminal. The X shaped detached terminal concept was the other option considered when the new midfield terminal was planned. It lost out for the first terminal but looks to be what the 2nd terminal would be. But that could be 20 or 30 years out.
IndyTypeGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #69
SpiderMonkey

Airport Terminal to Open in October

An article by Brendan O'Shaughnessy in the IndyStar indicated that the new airport terminal is scheduled to open on October 28th 2008 which should give the airport time to work out any kinks before the Thanksgiving rush.
Old February 8th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #70
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Is the Westin Hotel U/C out there yet?
Old February 8th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #71
SpiderMonkey

I don't think that the hotel has ever actually been approved yet. I thought it was just proposed.
Old February 9th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #72
IndyTypeGuy

It was supposed to open with the main terminal. Now I wonder if they will even break ground by then.
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #73
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Indianapolis Airport Authority approves support for new hotel

INDIANAPOLIS — The Indianapolis Airport Authority today authorized a budget of up to $8.8 million for support of a new hotel to be built as part of the New Indianapolis Airport project.

A 250-room hotel, to be located just west of the new parking structure at the airport complex, has been part of the plan for the New Indianapolis Airport for several years. In September of 2006, the Authority accepted proposals for hotel development.

Since then, the Authority has held discussions regarding the scope of its participation in the financing of the hotel with the potential developer, Skyward Investments, LLC of Indianapolis. Authority Executive Director John J. Kish said today that the support authorized by the Authority board would permit negotiations on a development contract to proceed.

In addition to the financial support, the Authority board authorized the project director to act to extend utility lines on the new airport site to the hotel. At present, there is no timeline for construction of the hotel.

The New Indianapolis Airport is a $1.1 billion project that includes a new passenger terminal located between the two main runways at Indianapolis International Airport, a new parking structure, new surface parking, a new air traffic control tower, new highway access and other new facilities. The new airport is scheduled to open on October 28, 2008.
k2h no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #74
IndyTypeGuy

It is sad they managed to drag it out this far. The hotel should have been well under construction by now. The way things sound its probably months away from breaking ground.
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:26 AM   #75
IndyTypeGuy

Here are new construction photos from http://www.newindairport.com

Terminal front view.

"A" concourse with jet bridge.

Ticket hall.

"A" Concourse Interior

The master plan had the "A" concourse on the left side but it seems from the jet bridge sign that the "A" concourse is on the right side. Which is the way the old terminal is. So I guess that makes sense.
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #76
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTypeGuy View Post

I like the design of what I'm assuming will be the canopies over the ticket counters.

This whole area feels solid and airy at the same time. Can't wait to experience the space in person.
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #77
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTypeGuy View Post
It is sad they managed to drag it out this far. The hotel should have been well under construction by now. The way things sound its probably months away from breaking ground.
What do you expect? It's like pulling teeth to get any major project underway around here.

There are several hotels U/C and planned at the RR Parkway/I-70 interchange.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:51 AM   #78
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
What do you expect? It's like pulling teeth to get any major project underway around here.

There are several hotels U/C and planned at the RR Parkway/I-70 interchange.
Anything of nice building substance takes so much time in Indy. One era of life, I am sure things will get approved and construction starting quicker. I do like that terminal alot however.
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:31 AM   #79
IndyTypeGuy

New construction photos from the Indianapolis Airport Authority.

Panorama shot. Click to view.

http://www.newindairport.com/galleri...erpanA_med.jpg
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:42 AM   #80
runNgunn

J.D. Power and Associates has released it's annual airport ratings and Indianapolis didn't do so well. (No surprises there really.) It will be interesting to see how the new terminal affects Indy's rating next year. (Indy is located in the "Small" category.)

http://www.jdpower.com/travel/ratings/airport-ratings/
runNgunn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
indianapolis