daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #101
IndyTypeGuy

Likes (Received): 0

New IND photos from the Indianapolis Airport Authority.

IndyTypeGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #102
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

IND...(oh god no on Weir Cook) is looking fantastic. I am very excited to fly in and out of there.
Old June 21st, 2008, 03:40 AM   #103
IndyTypeGuy

I'm pretty pissed about the idea of the city even considering giving away an extremely valuable asset (that I might add belongs to the taxpayers) such as the naming rights. With the airline industry in such trouble selling the naming rights could really help subsidize daily operations and keep rent down and drive up service to the airport.
Old June 21st, 2008, 04:58 AM   #104
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Chicago is hoping to get $3 billion from leasing Midway a la the Toll Road lease If Indy could get a billion or two for IND, it would be awesome - assuming the money was well spent, which it probably wouldn't be. Let yours truly implement some awesome street improvements in Marion County, and I'd be all for it
Old June 21st, 2008, 10:28 AM   #105
IndyTypeGuy

With naming rights they could in theory bring the rent down to what it is currently at the old terminal. This would make IND one of the most attractive airports in the nation when it comes to price and service.
Old June 21st, 2008, 09:25 PM   #106
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

Like "Indianapolis Jiffy Lube International Airport"? Yikes
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:11 AM   #107
IndyTypeGuy

I always thought Lilly would be an ideal customer. They would have the resources for this and they are a name which most Hoosiers know very well. Unlike Weir Cook which other than the debate most people have no idea who this guy is. He is a war vet and that is about it. He wasn't a president, former civil rights leader, governor, etc.

I see NW is dropping another route and putting another long time regular route on seasonal. Financially IND is going to need all the help it can get.

Sell the naming rights.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:24 AM   #108
Mr Peanut

Likes (Received): 1

Do you know who O'Hare was? Probably not. Repeat for most airports named for people.

I'm sorry, but selling the naming rights to an airport is the dumbest idea I've heard in quite a while. No other airport has done that, and frankly the rights wouldn't be very valuable. The reason naming rights to sports stadiums are so valuable is the media exposure. Airports don't have that.
Mr Peanut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:37 AM   #109
IndyTypeGuy

Naming it after some nobody at the expense of the taxpayers is a pretty dumb idea. Either leave it the way it is now or offer up the naming rights to the highest bidder. If nobody is interested then it should be pretty easy for Weir Cook supporters to submit the winning bid. The minimum bid should be no less than the cost of the hardware changes (signs, etc). The name is a taxpayer asset and should not simply be given away.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 04:33 PM   #110
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

I can't imagine selling naming rights to IND. Has this been done at any major (or even minor) airport in the US? I think if we are going to rename the airport, it should be for someone who has at least a little local name recognition. And, frankly, i would like to see it be someone not associated with the military. Other public servants are just as worthy as someone who served in the armed forces.
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:47 AM   #111
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

This whole movement toward selling public resources is right out of the conservative playbook. Starve government of the funds it needs to provide services to its citizens, thereby forcing it to hand over public infrastructure to private companies.

Leasing the toll road would never have been necessary if the federal government saw it fit to invest in the nation's roads instead of throwing it away in oil wars and useless weapons systems.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:24 PM   #112
arenn

Hoosier, how would you have financed the Major Moves program?
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #113
runNgunn

Just saw this article that more local eateries will be included in the airport retail mix. Shapiro's as well as a partner restaurant with St. Elmo's Steakhouse. There will also be an Indy 500 themed restaurant.
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...2%7D&dist=hppr

Also it appears a compromise has been reached on naming the airport. The terminal and roadway leading to it will be renamed for Weir Cook. http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.a...80698&nav=0Rce
runNgunn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #114
cwilson758
Cory

Why not name the airport after Guss Grissom? I mean, if they are going to rename it, why not pick a guy that is nationally-known and considered by many to one of the greatest astronauts that has ever flown?

Indianapolis-Grissom International Airport

Also, has anyone noticed that the "Airport Expressway" is now rebranded as "Sam Jones Expressway." First of all, who in the hell is "Sam Jones" and what did he contribute to the city? When I saw the signs along I-70, I almost thought it was a joke as "John Q. Public" or "Jane Doe" Expressway would be as distinguishable.

Last edited by cwilson758; July 17th, 2008 at 06:36 PM.
cwilson758 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #115
arenn

Cory, Sam Jones was one of the founders and the long time head of the Indianapolis Urban League, who died recently. Naming the expressway after him was similar to naming the abandoned section of SR 37 after Tom Binford.
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #116
Indywatch

I know it's named after the head of the Indy Urban league... but there was also a guy named Sam Jones (actor / model) that posed nude in Playgirl magazine in the 70's (I think) and also starred as Flash Gordon in that B movie made about the same time period. Just say that road is named after him. JOKING!

SAM JONES

Last edited by Indywatch; July 17th, 2008 at 10:13 PM.
Indywatch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #117
cwilson758
Cory

Flash Gordon was my favorite movie as a kid.
Old July 19th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #118
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indywatch View Post
but there was also a guy named Sam Jones (actor / model) that posed nude in Playgirl magazine in the 70's
Dude, you're just going to tease us with words of nudity and not deliver?

Lame.

;-)
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #119
ak72

Likes (Received): 1

The vendors and locations for the new airport have been annonced.

http://www.indystar.com/assets/pdf/BG112989716.PDF
ak72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #120
TrafficSignal

Likes (Received): 2

I was at a meeting yesterday where an airport representative was speaking about the new terminal. I learned a few things I hadn't known or seen mentioned here:

1) The terminal is "on track" for a silver LEED certification.
2) A public open house (no ticket needed) is currently scheduled for October 11th.
3) 2 Light rail options have been designed into the project, either from I-70 up the access road or under the northern runway & out washington st area.
4) The circulating roadway will be the same size as IMS (2 1/2 miles) - this is a massive project.
5) The terminal has so much natural lighting, the construction crews haven't had to use much electricity during construction.
TrafficSignal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
indianapolis