daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #121
IndyTypeGuy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficSignal View Post
1) The terminal is "on track" for a silver LEED certification.
What is the significance of that?
IndyTypeGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #122
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTypeGuy View Post
What is the significance of that?
Seriously?

http://www.usgbc.org/DisplayPage.aspx?CategoryID=19

From the website:

The LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) Green Building Rating System™ is a voluntary, consensus-based standard to support and certify successful green building design, construction and operations. LEED is transforming the marketplace by providing a nationally recognized certification system to promote integrated, whole-building design practices in the building industry.

Am I just completely misunderstanding your question?
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #123
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

The terminal will be LEED Silver? That's the first time I heard that. Pretty cool.
Old July 26th, 2008, 05:58 AM   #124
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1220

Great to hear about the two rail transit options at the airport. I had heard about the one that goes back west before heading east into downtown - but I hadn't heard about the one that goes northeast and directly toward downtown. That is what makes the most sense - but I had heard it was unlikely because it would have to go under the runway. That route makes sense because there is a fairly straight line from the new terminal to the northeast that wouldn't really need to go under any main section of runway - just a few narrower little concrete strips that would appear to be used only for slow moving airplanes when they are taxiing.

I don't really know much about the engineering requirements of airport runways - but I had envisioned that route making a lot of sense as the best way to connect light rail from the airport to downtown. Glad to hear that is still a possibility.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #125
IndyTypeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
Seriously?

Am I just completely misunderstanding your question?
I mean I've heard the term LEED and to me it has meant basically building your place green. What I hadn't heard before is the silver rating. Is that what you get when you get certified? What is the significance of silver versus any other rating.
Old July 27th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #126
arenn

I don't know all the ratings, but the LEED group gives out various levels: Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Most major buildings I've seen with LEED certification are Silver, the lowest level I believe. I can't name one structure that is LEED Platinum.
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:22 AM   #127
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

New airport features outstanding mix of Indianapolis favorites and top national brands

INDIANAPOLIS — When it opens October 28, travelers and visitors passing through the new Indianapolis International Airport will instantly recognize more than 40 new and returning national brands, including Starbucks, McDonald’s, CNBC, Brooks Brothers, Harley-Davidson, Borders, Pacific Outfitters, Au Bon Pain, Qdoba, Brookstone, Johnston & Murphy, and Cold Stone Creamery.

They will also be able to enjoy one-of-a-kind shopping and dining experiences that showcase some of the city’s top restaurants, arts and cultural institutions, and sports organizations.

In an announcement made today by the Indianapolis Airport Authority, Board President Randall L. Tobias explained, “When we began planning the types of shops and restaurants needed at the airport, we felt it was important that the true feel and flavor of Indiana be evident. We also wanted to be sure the selections would satisfy the needs, tastes, and lifestyle preferences of contemporary business and leisure travelers.”

The result is a hometown line-up featuring a number of major players, including:

- The first-ever Indianapolis 500 Grill, a sit-down restaurant which will be accompanied by a Brickyard Authentics apparel and collectible store and an Indianapolis 500 museum.
- One of the nation’s first and most comprehensive local museum stores, Cultural Crossroads, is a ground-breaking partnership offering merchandise and displays from eight leading Indianapolis museums and cultural institutions, including:
  • The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis
  • Conner Prairie, an nationally acclaimed living history museum
  • Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians & Western Art
  • Indiana Historical Society
  • Indiana State Museum
  • Indianapolis Art Center
  • Indianapolis Museum of Art
  • Indianapolis Zoo
- Harry & Izzy’s restaurant in Concourse A will offer the iconic shrimp cocktail made famous at St. Elmo Steahouse as part of its classic-but-casual menu.
- Café Patachou, Indianapolis’ favorite bistro, will open Patachou on the Fly, a take-off of the city’s beloved neighborhood establishment voted “Best Place for Breakfast” by Indianapolis Monthly for 15 years running.
Joie Chitwood, President of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, was among the speakers at the event. “Creating a restaurant that expresses the history and drama of the Speedway has been an idea in search of the right location. With all of the visitors that flow through the airport, we are excited about this unique opportunity to expose them to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway brand. When travelers grab a seat in the new Indianapolis 500 Grill, they will instantly know they are in Indy, the world’s racing capital,” he said.

Noted Craig Huse, president of Harry & Izzy’s, “The namesakes of this quintessential Indianapolis restaurant were an important part of the excitement of driving the city’s early growth, so we are tremendously proud to participate in this bold new chapter in city history.”

Jeff Patchen, president and CEO of the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, represented the eight local museums and cultural institutions that join forces for the Cultural Crossroads store. “The new Indianapolis International Airport is the first in the U.S. to provide one store highlighting such a large cross section of local cultural treasures. Each of the institutions represented plans to host exhibits and demonstrations that will ensure even regular airport visitors always have fresh and diverse experiences.”

Mandy Swift, who co-owns Broad Ripple’s Just Pop In gourmet popcorn shop with sister Carly Swift, also spoke, noting that as “A small-business owner, I am excited about the opportunity to launch a new store at the airport that has the potential to reach millions of passengers each year.”

Other well-known local and state brands will operate out of the new terminal when it opens later this year:

- Shapiro’s, Indy’s famous kosher-style delicatessen, will follow its tradition of offering piled-high corned beef sandwiches and other generous portion sizes at modest prices, at the new IND.
- Home of the “Build Your Own” hot dog, King David Dogs will bring its downtown Indianapolis flavor to Concourse B.
- 96th Street Steakburgers, one of the city’s favorite retro-cool burger joints, will serve its top-notch, juicy burgers and other fare.
- Indianapolis’ well-known downtown pizzeria, Giorgio’s Pizza, will serve its signature New York-style pies by the slice.
- Vera Bradley, the famous Hoosier maker of colorful cotton, silk, and denim handbags, totes, duffels, backpacks, and more will offer its exclusive line of signature gifts and merchandise.
- Growing chocolatier South Bend Chocolate Company will offer its one-of-a-kind chocolates, premier ice cream, and other treats to take home or enjoy before leaving the airport.
The new 1.2 million-square-foot terminal, with two 20-gate concourses, has given the Indianapolis Airport Authority (IAA) a rare opportunity to be creative and still meet the everyday needs of air travelers, Ambassador Tobias said. “We decided to negotiate individually for each concession concept and tenant rather than turn the entire operation over to one airport concession company. We believe our customers will enjoy the results,” he added.

Some of the new airport’s restaurants, news and gift stores, specialty shops, and other service providers have individual contracts with IAA. Others arepartnering with major airport concession operators, including Areas, HDS Retail, HMS Host, Paradies, and SSP America.

The dining and shopping center of the airport will be Civic Plaza, which will offer approximately 25,000 square feet of restaurants and specialty retailers. Each of the two concourses will have approximately 15,000 square feet of retail space.
k2h no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #128
arenn

This just keeps sounding better and better.
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #129
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

I am SO EXCITED to fly out of IND
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #130
IndyTypeGuy

I've still heard absolutely nothing about the airport hotel.
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #131
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTypeGuy View Post
I've still heard absolutely nothing about the airport hotel.
Neither have I. There are a number of hotels planned at the SR 267 and RR Parkway interchanged with I-70, which may obviate the need for a hotel on airport property.
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #132
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
Great to hear about the two rail transit options at the airport. I had heard about the one that goes back west before heading east into downtown - but I hadn't heard about the one that goes northeast and directly toward downtown.
I prefer the former because it would use existing freight rail ROW and presents the potential for a spur into Plainfield, perhaps terminating at Metropolis Mall.
Old July 29th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #133
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1220

Going NE from the terminal would also allow the transit line to link into the freight rail corridor into downtown - but it would cut about three or four miles off of the trip.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #134
arenn

http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.net...rticleID=43071

New Indianapolis airport terminal boasts design and art

Mooresville/Decatur Times

By Amy Hillenburg, Mooresville/Decatur Times
[email protected]

INDIANAPOLIS - A lot of names, designers and artists are associated with the new Midfield Terminal at Indianapolis International Airport - too many to remember.

But airport spokesman David Dawson said there are only three things the public needs to remember: to reach new Midfield Terminal, they will take Interstate 70 and look for Exit 68. That route will take them directly to the airport's new main entrance.

The official opening of the terminal, Civic Plaza and parking garage will be Tuesday evening, Nov. 11.

Dawson said only arrival flights will be using the airport at that time, and anyone leaving Indianapolis on an airplane that day will do it from the old terminal.

"The first departures will begin Wednesday morning, Nov. 12," Dawson said. "We really wanted to have our opening on Veterans Day."

Airport officials have already launched an information campaign, driving those three facts home through billboards on roads around the airport perimeter. Print ads, radio and news spots will follow closer to the opening.

The terminal and roadway are named for Hoosier hero Col. Harvey Weir Cook, a distinguished World War I and World War II flying ace. The airport was named for him in 1976, but later renamed Indianapolis International Airport in the heyday of ATA flights to Mexico. Memorabilia and a display will also honor Cook in the new terminal.

"The placement of the terminal, pretty much in the middle of the airport, will cut airplane taxi time in half," Dawson said. "From about 8 to 10 minutes to about 4 or 5 minutes. I've been told it will save about $12 million in fuel costs."

Dawson said the general public can view the new airport on upcoming community days, Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 11 and 12. Dedication ceremonies and an open house will be scheduled at that time. Dawson said people would be able to see everything, right down to the bag screening area one floor underground. That doesn't necessarily mean access to the impressive control tower.

"We had a media day at our ribbon-cutting in April, and someone said, 'Let's go up in the tower.' Since then, I believe for security reasons, the FAA has limited tower visits," Dawson said.

Terminal is light and airy

When passengers arrive, they will see an airport of glass, color and light; paired with ease, calm and convenience. To understand the scope of the project, head designers Hellmuth, Obata and Kassabaum Inc. created a terminal that is 1.2 million square feet and a 2.5-million-square-foot parking garage with a glass atrium. An abstract garden is a tribute to the Wright Brothers and the history of flying. An original bright red wing of an F-14 is displayed there. Even the end caps of the ticket counters are shaped like the backs of airplanes. There are other landscaped areas where expansion could take place in the future.

Dawson said the $1.1 billion project would probably come in under budget. It has been partially funded by $120 million in federal safety money and bonds, which will be paid off by vendor and parking revenues. The IAA registered for LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification, which incorporates environmentally sound and energy-efficient standards in all phases of the design and operation.

"We're not allowed to ask for appropriations from the city of Indianapolis or the state," Dawson said. "We do have the ability to raise the property tax, which we've never done."

One of the things Dawson is most proud of is the Indianapolis Airport Authority's partnership with museum boards of eight Indianapolis institutions to create a "Cultural Crossroads" environment, where merchandise and displays will be offered.

Passengers and visitors can mingle in Civic Plaza without tight security restraints, mainly because Indianapolis is an origination airport - not a destination airport. Dawson said the IAA is seeking international flight connections, and airlines are already servicing Toronto, Canada. He added that the international boarding area is situated near expanded taxi lanes and airplane parking. Passengers will not have to be out in the weather to disembark.

But international connections will have to rest with the carriers. And Dawson said right now, they are struggling under rising fuel costs.

"Indianapolis continues to be a focus city for Northwest Airlines, and we are pleased to offer seasonal service to Mexico," said Michelle Aguayo Shannon, media relations manager for Northwest. "We continue to look at ways to bring new international travel destinations to our Indiana customers. We offer access to destinations throughout the world through our hubs in Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul and Memphis."

But news reports said in June that Northwest was cutting its capacity by 3 to 4 percent because of high fuel prices. The carrier was also searching for ways to shrink its staff through voluntary means and then possible layoffs. Cuts in flights were expected in the fourth quarter of this year.

Passengers can relax and enjoy wait

After being transported by people-moving walkways, passengers can go to one of two concourses, with 20 gates each. They can return to Civic Plaza to shop at Vera Bradley, Indiana Marketplace, Hoosier Marketplace, Brooks Brothers or Pacific Outfitters. They can eat at Shapiro's, Cafe Patachou, the Indianapolis 500 Grill & Brickyard Authentics, TGI Fridays or have ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery. They can wake up for an early flight with Starbucks coffee and a muffin.

Visitors can ponder colored glass panels by Martin Donlin, with poems included by such writers as Norbert Krapf of Hammond. "There are 14 of these; so far, we've only broken one, and another came in with a misspelled word," Dawson laughed.

Chris Schwartz, vice president of marketing for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, said licensing and the IMS retail group were involved in the plans for the airport restaurant. They had been talking last fall about a possible extension to the Speedway's merchandise slot at the terminal.

"We weren't looking for a stand-alone restaurant site somewhere," Schwartz said. "But when this opportunity came up, it seemed a natural addition to the shop. We're excited for the airport to open. With Internet recognition, Indianapolis is known as the racing capital of the world. People come to the city from all over for the 500 and the Brickyard races."

Schwartz said that the timing for the IMS is just right. In 2009, the Speedway will celebrate its 100th year in Indianapolis.

Airport boasts family-friendly facility

As he leads media and group tours at the new airport, Dawson points out the environmentally friendly terminal, atrium and sliding glass entrances. Radiant heating and cooling are built into the floors, which for the most part are terrazzo tile. And vestibules at the entrances keep outside dust, cold, snow and heat from entering with passengers.

Each restroom has a family unit to handle more than one child and parent, and provides three handicapped-accessible stalls with automatic doors and various heights.

Artists and sculptors Lynn Basa, Arlon Bayliss, Dale Enochs, James Willie Faust, Tom Torluemke and Nhat Tran have fashioned mosaic panels, floor and wall designs and sculptures for the grounds, parking garage and terminal. All the artists are from Indiana, and Basa is a Bloomington native.

Dawson said the glass walls are made of laminated glass, which does not shatter, but would simply crack and break in a catastrophic event.

"People can look out over the whole airport and watch the planes land while they sip their drink, wait on their flight or arriving passengers," Dawson said. "We're not sure what we will do with the old terminal. We still have ticketing there and our six-floor administrative office building - and we've got a little more on our plate right now than planning for that."
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #135
cwilson758
Cory

I went exploring out to the airport and drove around Perimeter Road and out on I-70. This Airport is a jewel for this City. Plus, all of the viaducts and the new entrance off of I-70 makes the area seem so "big." They have all the signage up, but obviously covered for the time being, but access to and from the new facility is going to be a MAJOR improvement over the existing. I can't wait to fly out of the new IND.
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #136
cwilson758
Cory

So, we fly to two countries, Canada and Mexico. I don't think we will ever see European service, unless there is a major restructuring in the hub and spoke system, which is not out of the question.
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #137
SpiderMonkey

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
So, we fly to two countries, Canada and Mexico. I don't think we will ever see European service, unless there is a major restructuring in the hub and spoke system, which is not out of the question.

I think Europe seems unlikely, but I wonder if there is a market where Indy might get a few flights down the road to South America, someplaces like Sao Palo, Buenos Aires, Santiago, or Rio de Janeiro? I would think that that might be more likely than Europe. Maybe 1 or 2 flights a week to a city or 2.

Another thought would be a flight to China, Japan or Australia.
SpiderMonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #138
SwimINindy
Drew

Likes (Received): 1

Interesting you mention Sao Paulo. My father flies corporate plaines out of mount comfort and his plain has been chartered several times recently for business trips to Sao Paulo, and Rio De Janeiro. Its a select group of business men - Mansur reality, and some other names, but perhaps there is a growing connection between indy and south american businesses .... who knows.
SwimINindy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #139
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

As long as Delta and American keeping routing their flights through the same handful of airports, there may never be a direct international flight from IND unless airport volume dramatically increases in size.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #140
pattyco7

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
As long as Delta and American keeping routing their flights through the same handful of airports, there may never be a direct international flight from IND unless airport volume dramatically increases in size.
International flights from IND? We can only dream. It's only in the name and that's really stretching it. Oh well, Chicago O'Hare International Airport is only a few hours away.
pattyco7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
indianapolis