daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #141
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyco7 View Post
International flights from IND? We can only dream. It's only in the name and that's really stretching it. Oh well, Chicago O'Hare International Airport is only a few hours away.
Indy has a handful of truely international flights via FedEx, though not passenger. If you are a FedEx employee, I believe you can jump on a plane and land in China about 15hrs later.

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #142
IndyTypeGuy

Likes (Received): 0

We shall see what happens. NW had recently advertised job openings at IND for customer service reps. They encouraged Japanese speaking people to apply. So maybe something to their Tokyo/Narita hub coming?
IndyTypeGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #143
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

I'd settle for better domestic connectivity - Indy is still very under-connected to the west coast.
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:10 AM   #144
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTypeGuy View Post
We shall see what happens. NW had recently advertised job openings at IND for customer service reps. They encouraged Japanese speaking people to apply. So maybe something to their Tokyo/Narita hub coming?
Perhaps. Northwest is our big carrier, and an expansion through them five or ten years down the road is not out of the question. Destinations to Central America, the Bahamas, Asia, etc could help to boost our international "status" as well.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #145
IndyTypeGuy

We'll know in the next 4 to 8 weeks if we are getting any long haul service for 2009. Long haul service would likely start somewhere between May and July. Service announcements would come somewhere between mid September and mid November.
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #146
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyco7 View Post
International flights from IND? We can only dream. It's only in the name and that's really stretching it. Oh well, Chicago O'Hare International Airport is only a few hours away.
I see no reason why there will not be international flights in the future. Maybe 20 years... My reasoning is also importance of a city as well as traffic. Remember where Indy is, and flight delays etc.. I do not think the international thing is anywhere out of the question. Look at alot of cities around the world as well as the states. I bet years ago we would say no way for many things that are going on in alot of cities. Look at Atlanta, 25 years ago?
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:21 AM   #147
IndyTypeGuy

If they can run Tokyo service from Portland they can run it from here. They run service to NRT from PDX and SEA and those two airports are only 129 miles apart. Indianapolis and Detroit are 231 miles apart. I think the image of the new airport will be what would get IND the service over Memphis. If you've ever been to the Memphis airport you'll know what I mean. IND would provide a good alternative for people traveling to the far east. IND would be an ideal connection for people coming from TPA, MCO, RDU, DCA, etc. We will have the type of facilities that would impress international travelers from the far east who are used to the higher levels of service that would be expected from a new airport. Coming in to Memphis as their first experience in the US would make them feel like they've gone back 40 years in time. IND fits more with the NW image as it has many similarities to the terminal in DTW.
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #148
ak72

Likes (Received): 1

Alright, I know that I am usually very optimistic but airlines are my area of specialty.

First: Northwest will not be Northwest for long, pretty soon it will be Delta. The combined carrier will already have MEM, CVG, DTW, ATL, and MSP in the smae general area of the US, IND will not be on top of the list to add service, probably opposite, reduced service.

Second: Point-point is not the way airlines work, in these tough times airlines are getting rid of point to point flying and streamlining operations through hubs. Some may point to Southwest but they just have many slightly smaller hubs.

Third: Demand, Indy doesn't have the demand for a lot of routes especially international ones. What could happen is a build-up of an airline in IND that would connect a lot of passengers. The only problem is who, every airline is shrinking or halting growth. Some point to Delta (Northwest) but they are shrinking Cincinnati, a city with more O&D demand (not connecting) and they have just opened up a brand new terminal at DTW, therefore the new terminal at IND is no big deal to them.

Fourth: To the point of PDX and SEA having service to NRT, the west coast has a lot of Japanese people, last time I checked there weren't a whole lot of Japanese people in Indianapolis. Also they are much closer saving much more on fuel. And to the point of charters to Sao Paulo. Charters are the way a lot of scheduled service starts, but I wouldn't get to excited, there needs to be a lot more than a few charters to warrant direct service.

Where I see IND in 5 years. Delta will proabably have downsized to a regular destination with a few point to point routes. If we are lucky they will have the same service with a couple new routes and a couple routes gone. But where I do see room for growth is from Southwest or a new carrer starting up with a hub in IND. Of course all of this is hold all constant. Obviously if Indianapolis grows both economically and population wise anything could happen.

Now I this got a little long and I tried to keep it as short as possible so a lot of stuff is pretty vauge. If you need details about anything or have any questions please ask me, I will be happy to answer you.
ak72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #149
runNgunn

A bit off topic, but...

A bit off topic, but I was recently looking at an article on Jaunted of the new terminal 5 at JFK. (I think the only other project near the size of the new Indy airport opening in a close time frame?)

Granted I know they are in a much different situation, but I couldn't help but think that based on the reviews of that terminal so far, the IND will get a glowing review. (My biggest complaint about T5 is how disconnected in style the new portion is compared to the Eero Saarinen's TWA building which I love.) The interiors of their new terminal don't seem particularly exciting to me as compared to the new Indy airport. Mainly interested in everyone else's thoughts as I am by no means an expert.
runNgunn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #150
IndyTypeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak72 View Post
Alright, I know that I am usually very optimistic but airlines are my area of specialty.

First: Northwest will not be Northwest for long, pretty soon it will be Delta. The combined carrier will already have MEM, CVG, DTW, ATL, and MSP in the smae general area of the US, IND will not be on top of the list to add service, probably opposite, reduced service.

Second: Point-point is not the way airlines work, in these tough times airlines are getting rid of point to point flying and streamlining operations through hubs. Some may point to Southwest but they just have many slightly smaller hubs.

Third: Demand, Indy doesn't have the demand for a lot of routes especially international ones. What could happen is a build-up of an airline in IND that would connect a lot of passengers. The only problem is who, every airline is shrinking or halting growth. Some point to Delta (Northwest) but they are shrinking Cincinnati, a city with more O&D demand (not connecting) and they have just opened up a brand new terminal at DTW, therefore the new terminal at IND is no big deal to them.

Fourth: To the point of PDX and SEA having service to NRT, the west coast has a lot of Japanese people, last time I checked there weren't a whole lot of Japanese people in Indianapolis. Also they are much closer saving much more on fuel. And to the point of charters to Sao Paulo. Charters are the way a lot of scheduled service starts, but I wouldn't get to excited, there needs to be a lot more than a few charters to warrant direct service.

Where I see IND in 5 years. Delta will proabably have downsized to a regular destination with a few point to point routes. If we are lucky they will have the same service with a couple new routes and a couple routes gone. But where I do see room for growth is from Southwest or a new carrer starting up with a hub in IND. Of course all of this is hold all constant. Obviously if Indianapolis grows both economically and population wise anything could happen.

Now I this got a little long and I tried to keep it as short as possible so a lot of stuff is pretty vauge. If you need details about anything or have any questions please ask me, I will be happy to answer you.
To address a couple of your comments...

1) The merged airline will be under contract for at least 11 gates at IND. It may be as high as 12 or 13 but 11 for certain. This will be the case for I believe a minimum of 2 more years.

2) Point to point is the way some airlines work. It is popular with low cost carriers. It has been a big part of what has made Southwest successful. With higher fuel prices unnecessary routing of passengers through hubs will be reduced. That adds greatly to the cost of handling a passenger.

3) IND has a great deal of demand actually. Not only from the local market but the airport has been very successful at taking passengers from neighboring markets. Cincinnati has been greatly victimized by this. BTW I do not believe CVG has more O&D. But even if they did why would DL be shrinking them? The answer is very simple. There is no money in feed. That is why you will see CVG and MEM lose hub status. Southwest has remained profitable because their flights are dominated by origination traffic. Northwest has maintained an LCC model at IND. They have had great success and that is why IND will remain a big part of NW and likely the new Delta.

4) There is obviously a decent number of Japanese people or Japanese speaking people in the area otherwise Northwest wouldn't have been seeking applicants that spoke the language. And it isn't only for Japanese people living in Indiana it is also for Japanese business interests in the area.

Whatever the reason NW was looking for Japanese speaking reps it is obvious there is a demand otherwise that request wouldn't have been made. If there aren't enough Japanese people in the area then please try and explain to me why NW did what they did? That is after all the point of what I brought up. Why is NW doing what they did?
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #151
cwilson758
Cory

The Japanese thing is interesting. Working on development/planning/goverment, Indiana as a whole has been very aggressive in courting Asian companies for Hoosier investment over the past few years, especially the old manufacturing hubs of Anderson and Muncie. This could be a reaction to that. Hello, Honda anyone???

I do see MEM and CVG losing out on the Northwest/Delta merger. (and yes MEM is a dump) I think that IND will be attractive to new carriers due to the brand-spanking new facility. I am anxious to see how our new facility will affect traffic in and out of IND. I remember being at Union Station when then Mayor Petterson unveiled the plans for IND....
Old September 12th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #152
ak72

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTypeGuy View Post
To address a couple of your comments...
Well first I must have missed the part about hiring Japenese speaking people the first time and I apologize, we'll see where that goes from there.

You bring up several good points and there is a lot of truth behind what you say. I will clear up my opinions a little bit more.

1) Northwest also had a deal to keep their headquarters in Minnesota for a number of years. I'm not saying I wouldn't like hem to use all the gates but there are ways of getting out of these things.

2) In the US, only one airline comes close to Point to Point, Southwest, all other LCCs (AirTran, Frontier, JetBlue, Spirit) all have hubs. However, a big part of Southwest is connecting passengers and they have several major "hubs" in BWI, MDW, DEN, BNA, HOU, PHX, LAS, ect. Places where a lot of connecting traffic goes through. Also, while they may say they have a lot of direct flights, a direct flight isn't the same as a non-stop flight, A plane that travels IND-JAX-FLL can be advertised a a direct flight from IND to FLL. Although it is routing the passenger through JAX where people can get off change planes and people from other planes can hop on. Although it is not a traditional hub and spoke system it does rely heavily on connecting passengers. And even with that they consistently have some of the lowest load factors (percentage of plane that is filled) in the industry. The reason for their success is a culture of customer service, cost cutting, and fuel hedging.

3) Now I'm not saying that IND doesn't have significant demand, I think it has great potential with the right type of airline. I will not expand more because I have a plan to start an airline that includes IND, but at the moment no one will finance an airline start-up let alone a new mortgage.

4) And like I said I guess I missed the part about NW hiring Japenese speaking people, I'd like to see where this is going.
Old September 13th, 2008, 05:28 AM   #153
ak72

Here is a map of gate layout:

NW/DL have a lot of gates. If they increase presence I will be really surprised considering IND proximity to DTW. But it looks like as of now they have plans. It will be interesting to see things shake out.
Old September 13th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #154
IndyTypeGuy

ak72.... The Japanese thing will be interesting. It is likely just a customer service move. If I had to put a number on it I'd say 75% likely a customer service move. The merged airline is going to have a huge operation here. And you should see a list of shops in the A concourse. It is going to be a great place to hang out.

Old September 14th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #155
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

There better be a Brookstone in there
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #156
philaustin06

there is
philaustin06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #157
ak72

Sneak peak of the airport!
http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=9076161
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #158
cwilson758
Cory

FYI, the Westin deal is done. Back to the drawing board
Old September 27th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #159
IndyTypeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
FYI, the Westin deal is done. Back to the drawing board
I figured it was toast a while back. Absolutely nothing was getting done. It is a shame that the deal was considered done and bidding closed before the deal was actually done. So much time was wasted as a result.
Old September 27th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #160
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

As with the Luke, the airport is offering public tours in advance of the opening during "Community Days" on Oct 11 and 12.

https://indyaircdpt.theregistrations...tion/index/374

I signed up for the Oct 11 10am tour (the first one). If anyone else wants to glom onto that time slot, we could turn it into an SSC meetup.

Tags
indianapolis