daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Cityscapes and Skyline Photos

Cityscapes and Skyline Photos Photos and images from all around the world

Old March 9th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #1
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1

CAIRO - one of the greatest cities in the world

القاهرة‎

جمهورية مصر العربية

CAIRO - EGYPT

“This little world, the great Cairo... the most admirable and the greatest city seen upon the earth... the Microcosmus of the greater world..."

William Lithgow, 1614.

Al-Qāhirah, which means "The Vanquisher" or "The Triumphant" - locally referred to as Misr(Egypt) - the city of 1000 minarets is the capital of the Arab Republic of Egypt, with 7.5 million people from hundreds of ethnic backgrounds residing in it's inner city and a metropolitan population of around 17 million, it is the most populous, powerful and influential city in both Africa & the Middle East. Modern Cairo was founded in 648 AD as a military garrison for Arab troops after the Islamic conquest however the area which the modern city now occupies has been continously habitated for over 10,000 years and a city was first established circa 5000 years ago when a young prince by the name of Narmer (Menes) unified the Red (North) and White (South) kingdoms and became Egypt's first Pharaoh. As brilliant a politician as he was a warrior, Narmer chose the site of Memphis (south-west Cairo) as his capital. For the next 2000 years, as Egypt's borders expanded far into south/western Asia, Cairo was the most powerful and influential city on earth. A title which few if any other city in history can boast. Egypt is one of the most heavily militarized countries and Cairo is the center of the Arab world.

Last edited by Cartel; May 21st, 2007 at 08:02 AM.
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 9th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #2
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Cairo style

From the Citadel

Gorillas in the mist

These city walls...

Pollution is beautiful

Mohammad Ali Mosque

Last edited by Cartel; May 20th, 2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Cartel
Registered Abuser

But I have a plane to catch...

Last edited by Cartel; May 20th, 2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #4
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Golden stones in the sand

This is downtown at 1:30 am on a tuesday, if New York is the city that never sleeps, what is Cairo? Insomniac

Last edited by Cartel; May 21st, 2007 at 05:38 AM.
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #5
Cartel
Registered Abuser

A strange yellow haze signals the incoming sandstorm...

Last edited by Cartel; May 21st, 2007 at 05:49 AM.
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #6
Cartel
Registered Abuser

A glimpse of Heliopolis

Some slightly..... newer pyramids. This is the outside of the mall pictured below.

City Stars probably the biggest mall in the middle east - I'm not sure if Mall of Emirates has more stores...

Intercontinental Heliopolis - part of City Stars

Former residence of Baron Empain

Baghdad street

Last edited by Cartel; May 21st, 2007 at 05:57 AM.
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #7
Cartel
Registered Abuser

And some from around my neighbourhood in the heart of Downtown Cairo - Midan Talaat Harb - formerly Soloman Pasha.

Yes no horns please this city is loud enough as it is.

Metro

Last edited by Cartel; May 21st, 2007 at 06:11 AM.
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #8
Cartel
Registered Abuser

post reserved6
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #9
cmoonflyer
Mainland Sea & Sky

Likes (Received): 40

Awesome pics ...... Cairo is full of endless charm - I love it dearly , May revisit someday !

A visit to Cairo tower could also be consider a Must. With his 187 meters, gives you an amazing opportunity to have such amazing views! During very lightly days, you could have the possibility to see until Giza Pyramids!!! The entry tickets includes also a free drink in the rotating bar...amazing!! The entry fees is 50 L.E. Really ?
We looked at mountains until dawn, and then when dawn came, it was too pretty for me - there was pink and blue and gold, in the sky, and on icy places, brilliant pink and gold flashes, and the snow was colored too, and I said," Oh," and sighed; and each moment was more beautiful than the one before; and I said, " I love you, Momma." Then I fell asleep in her arms.
That was happiness then.

- Harold Brodkey

Last edited by cmoonflyer; March 9th, 2007 at 09:31 AM.
cmoonflyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #10
Yuval
Here to create

Likes (Received): 0

I am crazy about Cairo, still I must admit this is a kind of an idealized view of it, a Cairo for residents of Zamalek and Midan al-Misaha.

How beat up Cairo is can at the same time be quite depressing and a source of its charm. It's nice though to see the other kind of charm it holds. Those Montparnasse-like buildings, for example, are gorgeous.

How surreal is life? read my blog
Yuval no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #11
Cartel
Registered Abuser

You're absolutely right Yuval, but it is Cairo nonetheless.

Street life pics will come at at later date, don't worry, I'll show all sides of this city, good and bad
Old March 9th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #12
Maxim Prokopenko

Likes (Received): 333

Kinda cool!
Maxim Prokopenko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #13
lpioe

Likes (Received): 14

Wow, what a beautiful and diverse city!
Superb shots, did you take them all?

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #14
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Most but not all.
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #15
maayan

Amazing ! I wanna visit !
is it safe for israelis?
maayan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #16
zwischbl

Likes (Received): 8

i really really like it! it looks so interesting with thousands of details in every pic....after having seen these photographs i´m even more looking forward to visiting this place in about 4 weeks could anyone reccomend some cheap opportunities to stay there? thank you !
zwischbl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #17
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 11

WOWWWWW!

The Nile is just stunning!

Great pictures Cartel - I'll be back for more.

I must say Cairo and Christchurch - you couldn't to places so worlds apart, yet you fit snuggly into both

Thank

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #18
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 2177

These are lovely pics of the modern city, and bits of the colonial one too. But youre portraying only one facet of the place.

Can you post some pics of Islamic Cairo (and citadel complex)? Its the greatest medieval city in the world (vying it out with Fez in Morocco), and that many people dont know anything about despite its UNESCO World Heritage Site status, and many tourists are put off by the name alone (!!stupid )

Also Also any pics of Coptic Cairo (the Christian quarter), and the City of the Dead - the worlds most beautiful 'shantytown'. Then there are the green and affluent suburbs, with its colonial and postmodern villas.

-Theres so much to Cairo its unbelievable.

Heres an interesting point, despite a population of 17 million the city has one of the worlds lowest crime rates anywhere on the planet. In fact the poorest part of the city, Islamic Cairo, also has the lowest levels, in part due to the fact there are so many witnesses to any given crime in such a crowded area, and of course to upbringing. It goes far to show the value of community on a people, not money...
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #19
Yuval
Here to create

Quote:
Originally Posted by maayan View Post
Amazing ! I wanna visit !
is it safe for israelis?
I would say it is, for two reason: one is that we are Israelis, the other - that they are egyptians.

1. We are Israelis - We have sharp senses, we have to take care after our personal security also here at home, so we are street-smart. We are strongly aware when a line is crossed, we know the Middle East politics well, we can tell friend from foe. It is often better to pretend you come from a different background and avoid talk about politics. Fortunatily there is so much more to talk about - namely, Cairo!

2. They are Egyptians - there is no way to describe how welcoming and sweet Egyptian culture is. I very often regretted pretending to be French or Macedonian, when I realized the people I met would have excepted me just as I was (many knew that I was Israeli and did). My experiences of hospitality and friendship in Egypt can sustain sevral threads. Egyptians take care of you and Cairo people - living in an anyway diverse city that recognizes itself as the heart of the region, should find it especially natural to do so.

I met a guy named Muhammad Osama in Cairo who showed me and a friend around town for a few days just out of sheer joy and friendship. I just met him on the street and started talking to him because he was carrying a guitar case. He learned that we were Israelis and was completely easy with that.

On our last night in town him and his friends took us to sail a Falookah on the nile. One of the friends said that he met Israelis before, in the Sinai. I asked him what kind of people they were.

He said "What do you mean? They were just normal people, you know, like you and I."

Which is when the asimon fell, if you will...

How surreal is life? read my blog
Yuval no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #20
Adams3

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
These are lovely pics of the modern city, and bits of the colonial one too. But youre portraying only one facet of the place.

Can you post some pics of Islamic Cairo (and citadel complex)? Its the greatest medieval city in the world (vying it out with Fez in Morocco), and that many people dont know anything about despite its UNESCO World Heritage Site status, and many tourists are put off by the name alone (!!stupid )

Also Also any pics of Coptic Cairo (the Christian quarter), and the City of the Dead - the worlds most beautiful 'shantytown'. Then there are the green and affluent suburbs, with its colonial and postmodern villas.

-Theres so much to Cairo its unbelievable.

Heres an interesting point, despite a population of 17 million the city has one of the worlds lowest crime rates anywhere on the planet. In fact the poorest part of the city, Islamic Cairo, also has the lowest levels, in part due to the fact there are so many witnesses to any given crime in such a crowded area, and of course to upbringing. It goes far to show the value of community on a people, not money...
Sorry but you can't trust crime rate statistics in such a poor country like Egypt. Cairo having one of the lowest crime rates anywhere on the planet is simply laughable to say the least.
Adams3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote