SkyscraperCity Forum banner
134K views 448 replies 66 participants last post by  Ken O'Heed 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Northumbria university has announced plans to redevelop the original campus, once City Campus East is completed. The plans include a sporting complex that could be converted to a 3,500 seater arena for eventss, conferences and exhibitons, as well as a 50m Olympic sized swimming pool.

Northumbria University . . .

Which is now (in 2016) re-named as . . .

Then, in February 2018, an enhanced LOGO to go with the recently changed name . . .

Actually, when they first changed from 'Newcastle Polytechnic', when they first gained University Status, their original University name was (and it was supposed to be always said in full) 'The University Of Northumbria At Newcastle' . . .

Of course, they were originally called 'Newcastle Polytechnic' . . .

See less See more
#2 ·
icNewcastle Article

Olympic dream
Mar 5 2007

By Nick Whitten, The Evening Chronicle

Olympic quality facilities were unveiled today as part of a £50m city centre development plan.

The facilities, for use by everyone, will include an Olympic-sized swimming pool and a 3,500 seater arena in the heart of Newcastle.

Subject to planning permission, Northumbria University will splash £50m on its city centre campus with a new state-of-the-art sports complex forming the centrepiece of the plans.

The plans would create 100 university jobs as well as hundreds more construction jobs in the city.

#12 ·
Its a shame they arent building a 50m pool- they seem to be concentrating a lot on the big viewing areas- maybe thinking they can cash in on the conference market IMO.

When that pool opens though it says it is open to the public so will City Pool close do you think? It looks a bit worn down at the minute these days anyway.

#26 ·
Not much has changed since the last time BUT i took a couple of photo's on Wednesday

Actually the frame for the cladding panels seems finished - cant be too far away before we get to see the cladding on, cant wait to see what that will look like. Hopefully its similar to the renders

#29 ·
I've heard its due to be completed in April. I work there in the building next to it (Northumberland Building). What you can't see from those photo's is the 1st floor walkway that spans the two buildings, so you can walk between the buildings.

The swimming pool, has been called a swimming 'tank'. Which I take it means that there is just enough room to walk around the sides of the pool and surrounded by 3 walls.

I'll try and find out what the latest is about it...

There are other developments on campus as well...

The Student Union Building is undergoing a modernisation of the facade, with a new glass enterance, and refurbishment of some of the floors with updaed facilities.

Northumberland Road is to be pedestrianised. I've seen the artists impressions, and it looks like a nice public space with seating and trees.

#38 ·
I've heard its due to be completed in April. I work there in the building next to it (Northumberland Building). What you can't see from those photo's is the 1st floor walkway that spans the two buildings, so you can walk between the buildings.

There are other developments on campus as well...

Northumberland Road is to be pedestrianised. I've seen the artists impressions, and it looks like a nice public space with seating and trees.

Yes, looks quite good, I think there are good quality buildings down both sides of Northumberland Road already, and the new buildings plus pedestrianisation (if done well) should set them all off nicely!

#32 ·
Thanks for the welcome TownPlanningNE! I got some more news on the new Sports Centre today.

It's due to open to the public in September 2010. April 2010 is when the 'hand-over' occurs to the University Estates department and IT for outfitting the facilities.

The budget for outfitting (not sure outfitting what exactly...) has been slashed from £1.25m to £250,000 due to the economic climate and the reduction of funding from the Government. So... not so many giant LCD TV's that they had planned. It will still have 150 + exercise machines, I think he said the "Wellman" range...

Apparently, the roof is 2 metres higher than planned. And nobody, not even the contractors knows why that is. The roof is not strong enough to support a massive "scoreboard" that they had planned to dangle from it.

It has a 60 metre running track with classrooms alongside the track.

The card entry system is 'writeable' it keeps record of what induction programmes you have attended and therefore allows you into areas you are cleared to.

#34 ·
Thanks for the welcome TownPlanningNE! I got some more news on the new Sports Centre today.

It's due to open to the public in September 2010. April 2010 is when the 'hand-over' occurs to the University Estates department and IT for outfitting the facilities.

The budget for outfitting (not sure outfitting what exactly...) has been slashed from £1.25m to £250,000 due to the economic climate and the reduction of funding from the Government. So... not so many giant LCD TV's that they had planned. It will still have 150 + exercise machines, I think he said the "Wellman" range...

Apparently, the roof is 2 metres higher than planned. And nobody, not even the contractors knows why that is. The roof is not strong enough to support a massive "scoreboard" that they had planned to dangle from it.

It has a 60 metre running track with classrooms alongside the track.

The card entry system is 'writeable' it keeps record of what induction programmes you have attended and therefore allows you into areas you are cleared to.
Sounds like they had no idea what they were doing.