daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #241
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Barcelona announced 507 km in advance, in France.

[img]http://i50.************/jqm1ja.jpg[/img]
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #242
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

That's not a winner in France. 667 kilometer to Lyon here and 676 kilometers to Paris here at Toulouse.
Old December 8th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #243
brisavoine
BANNED

Actually, yours aren't winners either. THIS one is the winner. 7,602 km to Paris, signposted on the D11 road in French Guiana.

Old December 8th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #244
rpc08

Likes (Received): 1005

Lisbon and Algeciras signed in the spanish A-1, between Alsasua and Vitoria-Gasteiz:

Old December 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #245
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Actually, yours aren't winners either. THIS one is the winner. 7,602 km to Paris, signposted on the D11 road in French Guiana.

That's cheating, you can't sign a destination that's not accesible by road from French Guyana. If there's some kind of way too long ferry connection to mainland France, the distance won't tell you nothing, when you'll be sailing more than 7000 of those kilometers to Paris
Old December 8th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #246
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3445

Quote:
Barcelona announced 507 km in advance, in France.

http://i50.************/jqm1ja.jpg
this is between A52 and Aix, right? i have never noticed (or better said - remembered) that tunnel at that place!
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #247
brisavoine
BANNED

It's funny how in some countries like France they use only strictly utilitarian distance signs, whereas in other countries like Spain and the US they love those "feel good" signs where they indicate distances to far-away places that are of little practical use. For example in the picture posted by rpc08 above, if that sign had been in France, they would have indicated the distance only to Madrid, they would not have indicated the distance to Lisbon, let alone Algeriras (), which is of little practical use. If French authorities were into "feel good" signs, I suppose they could place a sign on the Franco-Italian border indicating the distance to Brest. That would surely be an impressive sign.

Which makes me think, what about people tell us what's the longest driveable distance in their country. Driveable on land that is. In France, the longest driveable distance is between Menton on the Italian border and Brest in Brittany: 1475 km/917 miles in total (distance indicated by viamichelin.com). What about your country?

[img]http://i46.************/6tifea.png[/img]

PS: I suppose if I want to finesse things a bit, I can take the distance between Menton and Plouguerneau near Brest, which is even longer at 1,503 km/934 miles. It takes 14 hours and 5 minutes to cover the distance according to viamichelin.com. 1,451 km is on motorways (toll cost: 92.10 euros), the rest on normal roads.

KM 0:
[img]http://i46.************/jaud8m.jpg[/img]

KM 1,503:
[img]http://i45.************/dg1our.jpg[/img]
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #248
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
It's funny how in some countries like France they use only strictly utilitarian distance signs, whereas in other countries like Spain and the US they love those "feel good" signs where they indicate distances to far-away places that are of little practical use.
Feel good indeed, but implemented with taxpayers' money. We have a few of those "feel good" signs close to Amsterdam. They indicate the distances to Brussels, London and Paris (on the A4), to Luxembourg (on the A2) and to Berlin and Copenhagen (on the A1). They're nice in a way, but generally considered a waste.

One further consideration to be made in respect of this type of fun is of course the continuity principle: when a town is signposted, people expect to be in a position to refer to that town until they reach it. Now a one off "fun reference" to Brest won't really distract people, but for good signposting it should generally be clear what the focals of the route are, i.e. that you can focus on Marseille and Nice but not on Brest. You only confuse drivers by including a reference to a remote focal point once every five distance signs or so. Then again, maybe there is also a difference in perception of distance signs. In Europe, they are commonly perceived as a form of reassurance. The distance signs should confirm to you that you're still on the right way. In the Americas, reassurance is generally done through trailblazers, not inasmuch through pull-through signs or distance signs. Distance signs are indeed much more information than a form of guidance. That leaves much more room for the fun references.
Old December 8th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #249
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
It's funny how in some countries like France they use only strictly utilitarian distance signs, whereas in other countries like Spain and the US they love those "feel good" signs where they indicate distances to far-away places that are of little practical use. For example in the picture posted by rpc08 above, if that sign had been in France, they would have indicated the distance only to Madrid, they would not have indicated the distance to Lisbon, let alone Algeriras (), which is of little practical use.
Well, during the summer the A-1 is full of Moroccans/Algerians (or Europeans of Moroccan/Algerian origin) who live in Europe (mainly France, the Netherlands and Belgium) and travel to the North of Africa taking a ferry in Algeciras, so I find that indication quite useful.

The same goes with Lisbon, there are lots of Portuguese (still not as many as the aforesaid) who live in France, Luxembourg, Belgium, etc. and return to Portugal via A-1/A-62 during the summer. Maybe indicating the distance to Portugal instead of Lisbon would make more sense though.
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #250
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicerón View Post
Well, during the summer the A-1 is full of Moroccans/Algerians (or Europeans of Moroccan/Algerian origin) who live in Europe (mainly France, the Netherlands and Belgium) and travel to the North of Africa taking a ferry in Algeciras, so I find that indication quite useful.
I knew someone would say that. But then with that kind of logic, we could also place a sign at the Perthus on the Franco-Spanish border indicating the distance to Calais, given how many English tourists use that road. We could also place a sign on the Brenner Pass at the Austro-Italian border indicating the distance to Bari, given the number of Albanian immigrants who return to Albania during the summer. In fact we could place lots of signs to lots of far-away places with that kind of logic. In the end it's not a very convincing justification. It's hard to deny it's primarily a "feel good" sign. I saw a similar "feel good" sign when I crossed the border between Morocco and Algeria. The sign indicated the distances to Algiers, Tripoli, Cairo, and Mecca. Too bad I didn't take a picture.
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #251
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

There are no feel-good signs in Denmark at all.
Along E45 in Denmark a 200 miles long motorway, there are no distances over 80 miles signed. The distance signs only show one control city and the distance. When that city is passed, the distance to the next control city will be shown on all distance signs.
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #252
Djurizmo
Citizen of Europe

Likes (Received): 12

Longest distance through Serbia is Horgoš (H border) - Preševo (MKD border) = 574 km

Djurizmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #253
KiwiGuy
ˇVIVA EL GORDO!

Likes (Received): 1668

Palance, the first pic you posted has the distance shown to my city. 204km. Did you actually go there or did you take the Wellington Ferry?

My dad does a lot of driving and he said to drive from here in Nelson to Dunedin takes eight hours and is almost 1000km in total.

Imagine that on a sign.
KiwiGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #254
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiGuy View Post
Palance, the first pic you posted has the distance shown to my city. 204km. Did you actually go there or did you take the Wellington Ferry?
I took the ferry from Wellington that day and ended in Kaikura. So all along the coast
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #255
Interstate275Fla

Likes (Received): 3

Interstate 75 between Tampa and Atlanta

On the subject of long distance mileage signs, here is one which will spur some interest: The section of Interstate 75 from Tampa to Atlanta.

First, Interstate 75 northbound from Tampa to Atlanta. Once you leave Tampa you start seeing mileage to Ocala, which is about 80 miles north of Tampa on Interstate 75. Once you leave Ocala, then you begin to see mileage for Lake City, which is at the junction of Interstate 10. Then after Lake City you see mileage for Valdosta, which is right across the Florida-Georgia state line, and then - right after you cross the state line it's 248 miles to Atlanta.

Second, let's go south on Interstate 75 in the other direction, Atlanta to Tampa. What makes this stand out is that Tampa is advertised even as far north as the interchange for Interstate 285 on Interstate 75 southbound in northern Atlanta. If we follow the western loop of Interstate 285 and bypass the Atlanta metro area we'll find our way back to Interstate 75 and signage for Macon, Valdosta and - you name it - Tampa! After all, Tampa to Atlanta is a good 400+ miles away.

But the problem is, even though Tampa gets advertised on Interstate 75 and 285 signage in the Atlanta metro area, there is no mileage to Tampa posted while within Georgia - instead, mileage on Interstate 75 south of Atlanta going southbound has mileage first for Macon, then for Valdosta, and then for Lake City just before crossing the border into Florida. Once you cross the Florida state line and pass the Florida Welcome Center then Tampa is signed all the way, with intermediate signage for the junction of Interstate 275 to St. Petersburg.

But why does the Georgia DOT insist on signing for Tampa, even though Tampa is 400+ miles to the south? That I am not sure.

However, mileage signs on interstate highways including Interstate 75 are heavily regulated, and a publication published by the American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials (AASHTO), the organization made up of 50 principal members who are American state DOTs, addresses this issue. The publication is entitled List of Control Cities for use in Guide Signs on Interstate Highways, which is actually incorporated into part of a three volume AASHTO publication. This link takes you to a page listing the control cities that are used on interstate highways in the United States.

In fact, here in St. Petersburg, Florida (where I'm from) there was an attempt to get the control city designation changed on Interstate 75 southbound signage from Tampa to St. Petersburg in order to address tourism concerns. Apparently the Florida DOT took the case to AASHTO and, although it was not approved, a compromise was reached in which intermediate mileage signs were installed showing the mileage to the exit for Interstate 275 to St. Petersburg. Here is a photo I took in 2005 as an example:

I don't have any pics of my own for the Interstate 75 signage in Georgia to show you; however, AARoads at their Interstate 285 Outer Loop page has a few. The last time I traveled through this area was way back in 1996, just after the Summer Olympics wrapped up.

Last edited by Interstate275Fla; December 27th, 2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Changed URL of image location
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #256
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19409

Quote:
But why does the Georgia DOT insist on signing for Tampa, even though Tampa is 400+ miles to the south? That I am not sure.
Because it's the next major city and well-known destination along I-75 south of Atlanta. Macon, Valdosta and Ocala are not more than regional cities, which can function as secondary control cities, but I think signing Tampa is a good idea, although it is a bit far indeed.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #257
snowman159

Do the same regulations also apply to toll roads that are part of the interstate system?
(isn't NYC used as a control city on the Ohio Turnpike, but not on I-80 throughout PA?)
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #258
Interstate275Fla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Because it's the next major city and well-known destination along I-75 south of Atlanta. Macon, Valdosta and Ocala are not more than regional cities, which can function as secondary control cities, but I think signing Tampa is a good idea, although it is a bit far indeed.
I have to agree with you on that. I drew up a mileage sign that the Florida DOT ought to consider posting; this would be on Interstate 275 north of Bearss Avenue (Exit 53) in Tampa, which is Interstate 275's last exit before Interstate 75:

Here's what the actual mileage sign looks like now:

The longest distance shown is that to Gainesville, Florida, 117 miles. FL 54 is no longer the next exit, as FL 56 was built several years ago; FL 54 is the next exit after FL 56 on Interstate 75 northbound.

As you mentioned, Ocala, Gainesville, Lake City, Valdosta and Macon are intermediate cities which have significant interest. In the example I drawn I put the next intermediate city - in this case, Ocala - on the line right below the next exit, which would be FL 56. The control city of Atlanta stays constant until Atlanta is reached, while after Ocala the next intermediate city would be Gainesville, then Lake City, Valdosta and Macon.

I apologize for going a little off topic, but Lake City and Macon have significant importance as far as control cities are concerned: These cities are intersections of other interstates, Lake City being Interstate 10 and Macon being Interstate 16. A city which is a junction of two major interstate routes meets the criteria for being an interstate highway's control city in the USA.
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #259
abdeka
Algerian moderator

Likes (Received): 13219

Tamanrasset, Algeria

Visit the ALGERIAN FORUM
abdeka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #260
schmidt

Likes (Received): 59

I think the farthest I've seen in Brazil was around 600 or 700 km to Rio de Janeiro. I've also seen a sign indicating Asuncion about 700km away.

But then, distances in this country are quite big, but never saw such thing like 3000 km or so.
schmidt no está en línea   Reply With Quote