daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 12:44 PM   #261
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate275Fla View Post
I apologize for going a little off topic, but Lake City and Macon have significant importance as far as control cities are concerned: These cities are intersections of other interstates, Lake City being Interstate 10 and Macon being Interstate 16. A city which is a junction of two major interstate routes meets the criteria for being an interstate highway's control city in the USA.
Sounds fair to me that these cities are control cities. The core of the problem is that they have this status, but that a truly major town like Tampa is not posted next to them. And that when Tampa is posted (like in the Atalanta metropolitan area), those references disappear from the signs after having been posted once or twice. An alternative would be to use the Australian method, where two focal points are used on the national highways. Those are (i) a town of regional importance, which often also forms the intersection with a national route, and (ii) a remote focal point, which is a major town like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane etc. I think the use of such a dual system would be good for the US as well. It would enable you to signpost every town that meets the criteria for being an interstate highway control city, while maintaining the bigger picture by posting the truly major towns.

So on the I-75 southbound, you would end up with Macon / Tampa first, then with Lake City / Tampa. And of course, you would post each of these on the distance signs along the route.

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2010, 03:06 AM   #262
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

I bet you've never heard of Bobo Dioulasso.

image hosted on flickr
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #263
Elevadores Atlas

Likes (Received): 0

Leaving Brasília:
Elevadores Atlas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #264
zvir

Likes (Received): 6

israel longest road

Highway 90
zvir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #265
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
I bet you've never heard of Bobo Dioulasso.
Of course I have. I believe it's the second most important city in Burkina Faso after Ouagadougou. Funny story, when I was younger (like in 2001 or so) I went to earth science class, and my teacher thought he was being smart by telling us crazy place names, so he asked if anybody knew Ouagadougou. I said "oh yeah, that's the capital of Burkina Faso". He didn't know what to say then, he never expected a student to know such stuff.

Anyhow, I always got straight A's on geography. When I was in the first years of high school (1999 - 2000) my mom would buy me a chocolate bar if I got an A (or "10" in NL), and she had to buy an awful lot of chocolate bars because of my geography A's.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #266
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Transcontinental Highways in the US begin by posting distance to other end. This is the eastern terminus of I-40 in Wilmington, North Carolina.
and here is the corresponding sign on eastbound Interstate 40 in Barstow, CA...

Photo from AARoads.com.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:11 PM   #267
czerwony_bo_szybszy

Likes (Received): 2

Poland - the longest distance I`ve seen is in Kudowa Zdrój on Czech border and the distance is to Budzisko (LT border) and it`s about 800km - effect of polish idea of showing diastnces to border crossings, not to foreign destinations
IMHO the longest distance in Poland is from Świnoujście (on Uznam island on german border) to Tarnawa in Bieszczady mountains on ukrainian border and according to google maps it`s 1021km
czerwony_bo_szybszy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:49 PM   #268
Michu33
... ... ...

Likes (Received): 67

8 is the longest national road in Poland
Michu33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:57 PM   #269
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Jest najdłuższą drogą krajową w Polsce.
It is the longest national road in Poland

721 km according to Wikipedia
I wonder how they came up with that 800km+ sign for Budzisko.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:15 PM   #270
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by czerwony_bo_szybszy View Post
IMHO the longest distance in Poland is from Świnoujście (on Uznam island on german border) to Tarnawa in Bieszczady mountains on ukrainian border and according to google maps it`s 1021km
lol tiny Croatia has only 50 km less (Ilok - Vitaljina 971 km) of course, thanks to our shape
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:35 AM   #271
taleks

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by czerwony_bo_szybszy View Post
Poland - the longest distance I`ve
I wanted to check that, I used map24 and... map24 suggests route through Berlin

The shortest doesn't mean the fastest. Long live the deutsche autobahn At least, after opening of the whole S3 we won't need German motorways to travel in Poland
taleks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #272
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21234

I love long distance road signs. This was taken in Brazil by me at this overpass http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...09645&t=h&z=17 . On that occasion, I was driving to a place PAST the second city (Araguaina), unfortunately not as far as the third one (Belém) on an 100% ethanol-fueled car.

Old June 4th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #273
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

A mileage sign in France, in Sainte-Luce-sur-Loire.

[img]http://i45.************/2jg9ft5.jpg[/img]
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #274
czerwony_bo_szybszy

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

It is the longest national road in Poland

721 km according to Wikipedia
I wonder how they came up with that 800km+ sign for Budzisko.
maybe wikipedia is wrong ;D, but
[IMG]http://i46.************/2hhg9ed.jpg[/IMG]
czerwony_bo_szybszy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #275
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
A mileage sign in France, in Sainte-Luce-sur-Loire.

[img]http://i45.************/2jg9ft5.jpg[/img]
Ah, Brisavoine est de retour !

But what is that sign doing there? It's German-style, right? Is there like a twin-city relationship between those two towns (neither of which I'm familiar with)? Is there a French-style sign, preferably one of those little concrete ones, in Herzogenaurath pointing to Sainte-Luce?

Meanwhile, here's one of my favorites, which I pass a couple of times a month. On Interstate 70 westbound near its starting point. I've got to wonder how precise the distances (which are in miles, of course) are....

http://www.aaroads.com/mid-atlantic/...xit_087_02.jpg
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #276
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

There's also a little sign hanging next to a street sign in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, giving the distance to Sainte-Mčre-Eglise. I don't know whay, but presumaby it's because, besides the fact that Gettysburg was the site of the most important battle of the American Civil War, it's also where General Eisenhower retired to.
Old June 4th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #277
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
Do the same regulations also apply to toll roads that are part of the interstate system?
(isn't NYC used as a control city on the Ohio Turnpike, but not on I-80 throughout PA?)
Catching up on old posts here....

I'm not an expert on this sort of thing, just someone who likes driving and is observant. I will say that whatever Federal guidelines may be, there's considerable inconsistency from one state to the next. Some examples:

On I-95 northbound, leaving Baltimore, New York is the only destination given as a control city (as opposed to on distance markers) in Maryland. Then when you cross into Delaware, New York is replaced by "Wilmington, Philadelphia." Personally, I think Philadelphia would be a reasonable destination for signs in Maryland. It's on 95, and actually quite a large city. But since I live in Philadelphia, I'm biased.

New Jersey often seems to favor small, in-state destinations over out-of-state ones - is the control city on I-78 westbound still Clinton, or is it now Phillipsburg? Either one is still smaller than Allentown or Harrisburg, but in-state. Signs to New York or Philadelphia are fairly rare; the state seems to prefer Newark and Camden. Contrast that to states like Illinois, where Memphis is the destination for I-57 south all the way up to Chicago, a good 600 miles away. (New Jersey would probably say "I-57 south - Kankakee", then Champaign, then Effingham....)

Maryland seems to have switched from two destinations per sign to one recently...there's a place on 95 southbound, south of Baltimore, where you can see thanks to the fading of the green background that it used to read "I-95 south, Washington, Richmond," but the Richmond's been removed. I can remember when I was a kid, there was a "Baltimore 54, Washington 94" on I-95 just south of the Delaware/Maryland border. Now there are no mentions of Washington north of the Baltimore Beltway.

There are other quirks like the use of state names as destinations in the Chicago area....

But as someone rightly pointed out, destinations are probably more "secondary" on American signage than they are in Europe, since we tend to rely on route numbers. No need to worry about whether the I-80 east sign in western Pennsylvania says "New York" or just "Du Bois," because we know 80 goes to both of them....
Old June 5th, 2010, 02:25 AM   #278
eskandarany
من المحيــط إلىٰ الخليــج

Likes (Received): 57

in tunisia
with kilometer-age to benghazi (Libya) and cairo (Egypt)
eskandarany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #279
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
But as someone rightly pointed out, destinations are probably more "secondary" on American signage than they are in Europe, since we tend to rely on route numbers. No need to worry about whether the I-80 east sign in western Pennsylvania says "New York" or just "Du Bois," because we know 80 goes to both of them....
I see the road number and control cities / other cities on the road signs as complementary. Even in Europe, where control cities are much more prominent, you can never rely on the cities on the signs. First of all, you don't know which cities will appear on the signs for your route. Second, by looking at place names only you may be guided in a direction that is not the one you intended. Route numbers only, on the other hand, look like gibberish for people not too familiar locally. Signs showing places that the driver knows provide reassurance, much more than an I-80 trailblazer.

In my opinion, saying "hey, we've got road numbers so control cities are unimportant" leaves a system that is less than optimal. In the ideal system, focals and road numbers interact.
Old June 5th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #280
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
But what is that sign doing there? It's German-style, right? Is there like a twin-city relationship between those two towns (neither of which I'm familiar with)?
Herzogenaurach is twinned with Sainte Luce sur Loire, (France), see town twinning.