daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:40 PM   #501
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

As you can see, there is one person trekking. It is a pilgrim lane taken from the Middle Age.

All Apostles are in Palestine except St. James who traveled until that corner of the Roman Empire. Santiago is the Spanish translation of James and "Compostela" seems to come from "Campus Stelae" in Latin.

As said, since Middle Age, pilgrims have gone there walking or ridding (and these days also by bike).

Even if it is not usually a final destination of a journey it is normal to see those signals in the road that would go to that city paralel to the official old lane.

The main lane starts in four different French cities, three of them join very close to Spain and enter in two points, joining in Puente La Reina.

Paris, Vezelay, Arles and Le Puy are called the start of the "Royal Lane of St. James". But there are someone more.

This is a map

PS. You can make the pilgrim journey when you want. They would consider you a pilgrim if you make the last 100 km walking (or 200 km by bike or ridding by horse). There are people who make the journey in several years (every year some steps).

And... if you want a "special year", those which July 25th will be on Sunday are considered specials.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #502
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Dubai signed in Konavle, Croatia

Verso, loloo, Japanac liked this post
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:12 PM   #503
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Some pics from Russia (taken from the FB page of an overland expedition)

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Moravian liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:27 PM   #504
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Wouldn't that "Bachivsk" be either Bielorussian or Ukrainian? The Russian version of the Cyrillic alphabet doesn't have a letter that looks like "I."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 10:47 PM   #505
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Wouldn't that "Bachivsk" be either Bielorussian or Ukrainian? The Russian version of the Cyrillic alphabet doesn't have a letter that looks like "I."
You're right, I looked on that page and they said that the photo is taken in Ukraine. Bachivsk it's an Ukrainian city. But did you study Russian or did you learn the alphabet just for fun? Most Westerners don't have a clue about cyrillic, let alone knowing the difference between national variants. Not that it's difficult (unlike Chinese or Arabic) but it isn't used abroad unlikely Greek that is used in maths and physics.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 04:23 PM   #506
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I learned the Russian version of the Cyrillic alphabet when I was about eight years old. Just for fun. 'Cause I'm weird that way.

It was later on that I discovered that there were variants, and with recent events occasionally showing Ukrainian signs or graphics from Ukrainian TV channels on my TV I actually spent a few minutes on Wikipedia the other day and found a neat little table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrilli...#Summary_table

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old March 3rd, 2014, 04:43 PM   #507
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Me and two friends learned Cyrillic in the junior year of high school just for fun. We would pass eachother notes and when the teacher caught us, he would usually read it out loud to embarrass us. But they didn't understand Cyrillic (we just wrote Dutch in the Cyrillic script, not actual Russian).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:25 PM   #508
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Exactly the same story with me, just that I learned... Arabic script. But I forgot it pretty quickly, cause I don't understand the Arabic language.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:34 PM   #509
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Show-off.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Verso liked this post
Old March 3rd, 2014, 10:03 PM   #510
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Χου αμπουτ Γρηκ σκριπτ? And likes for that English written in Greek script
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 02:04 AM   #511
italystf

Australia:

USA:

Brazil (Santarem):

Argentina (Ushuaia):

Russia:

(from top to botton it's: Khabarovsk, Yakutsk and Magadan).

Moravian, loloo liked this post
Old March 11th, 2014, 02:48 AM   #512
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
USA:

This sign is somewhat famous. It's at the west end of US 50 in Sacramento, California. It used to be a smaller sign with only the Ocean City, Maryland destination listed (the east end of US 50), but the sign repeatedly got stolen. CalTrans got smart and made it part of a sign too large to steal. Before the Interstates, US 50 actually ended farther west, following then US 99 south to Stockton, then heading west along the current I-205 and I-580 to Oakland. California signage is so old (very typically) you can actually still see where the US 50 shield was patched over on a sign in Oakland even though the route was decomissioned decades ago. There's also a distance sign for Sacramento in Ocean City.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!

Luki_SL liked this post
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #513
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Why do first Australian cities have parenthesis?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #514
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Why do first Australian cities have parenthesis?
Just a guess: they are not along this road, though reachable by using it for a part.
Old August 24th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #515
piotr71

Not official sign near Zgorzelec:
DSC06860

Moravian, loloo liked this post
piotr71 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #516
Verso
Islander

Put on a one-way road in the wrong direction?
Old August 24th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #517
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

It's not one direction,you can see the truck on the right
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #518
Verso
Islander

Yes, but the sign is left of the Jersey barrier.
Old August 24th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #519
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17459

Everything is ok. The view from national road no. 94 :

https://www.google.pl/maps/@51.20459...f6uw!2e0?hl=pl
Old August 25th, 2014, 02:09 AM   #520
Verso
Islander

I don't know what you're showing to me. I'm trying to say that those cities should be written on the place of that bp ad (right of the barrier).