daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2017, 11:30 PM   #621
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Perigord / France

Highway89 liked this post
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2017, 12:26 AM   #622
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
Perigord / France

So French. The distance between Earth and Venus varies from 38 to 262 million kilometers. A variable sign is absolutely needed.

In addition, the altitude of Venus varies a lot. Thus, the inclination of the sign should be adjustable.

g.spinoza, Kpc21, Highway89, DJaCoNdA liked this post

Last edited by MattiG; November 10th, 2017 at 09:59 AM.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 12:49 AM   #623
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

A while ago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
Pity that I deleted the original video files, I could've got the screenshots with better resolution.

Anyway, you can get some better quality from Google Street View imagery: https://goo.gl/maps/wAXY3GoFPUC2

You might also like these:
Valladolid, Madrid, Lisbon and Algeciras (1,074 km): https://goo.gl/maps/RKHCPZa6Lgk
Bordeaux, Toulouse and Paris (857 km): https://goo.gl/maps/5m6WErGAnax
Pau, Toulouse and Paris (835 km): https://goo.gl/maps/XCsWv8WQkcS2

For some reason the road autorities of Navarre seem to enjoy putting such signs just before the regional border. I couldn't find the ones for the A-21, AP-15 southbound or A-68, though.
I knew there was one on A-21, not near the border but near the start, close to what has become one of my favorite towns since this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
The one on A-21 shows the distance to Lleida and Barcelona. But is not that far: 426 km. And it is placed near Pamplona, rather than near the Aragon border: https://www.google.es/maps/@42.75227...zxqRUgIq4Q!2e0
And indeed, there is not such a sign on AP-15 south, but there is one on N-113 near the Aragon/Navarre/Rioja tripoint, again not that far, only 305 km to Madrid: https://www.google.es/maps/@42.01108...7i13312!8i6656. Notice a 741 inhabitant town (Medinaceli) signed 155 km away, but that has an explanation: it is where the A-2/A-15 split is located.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #624
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

https://www.google.no/maps/@69.69084...7i13312!8i6656

E6 outside Kirkenes, Narvik in four digits... (Might have been posted before...)

Autobahn-mann, Verso liked this post
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 09:20 PM   #625
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19409

Wow. I took this photo on E6 near Trondheim. Northern Norway is so large, it's often overlooked how big distances in Scandinavia are.

E6 Trondheim - Stjørdal-14 by European Roads, on Flickr

Of course Kirkenes - Narvik could be shorter via Finland and Sweden (some 850 km). But that would not take a very direct high-standard road either.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Autobahn-mann, ElviS77, Luki_SL liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 10:59 PM   #626
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Of course Kirkenes - Narvik could be shorter via Finland and Sweden (some 850 km). But that would not take a very direct high-standard road either.
Ever been there?

The fastest route Narvik-Kirkenes calculated by TomTom from Narvik-Kirkenes is 900 km and 11:15 hours. Not a bad average speed of 80 km/h on an 1+1 road meeting a number of villages. The route is E6-E10-Sweden-E45-Finland-21/E45-93/E45-Norway-E45-92-Finland-92-Norway-92-E6. Every meter is decent road.

The E6 over Alta, Lakselv, Karasjok and Tana bru is only 130 km longer: 1030 km, but the driving time estimate is 3+ hours more, 14:30 hours. It is an indication that the E6 route is worse in average.
Old November 12th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #627
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19409

Google Maps suggests a quicker route via Muonio. In Finland, it lets you take a gravel road (road nr. 955).

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #628
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

The problem with the E6 routing is of course that it zigzags across Finnmarksvidda. A more direct route Alta-Porsanger-Tana would cut roughly 200 kms off the travel distance. It's highly unlikely to happen anytime soon, though, since the route would come into conflict with a national park, be far more exposed (needing tunnels etc.), and not being particularly busy at all. Some have also suggested another route between northeastern Troms (Kåfjord) and Karasjok, but again tunnels would be needed - and it would bypass the main regional centre Alta and strategically important Lakselv/Porsanger, thus not really helping much...
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #629
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Google Maps suggests a quicker route via Muonio. In Finland, it lets you take a gravel road (road nr. 955).

Rule #1: Never trust Google Maps in routing...

The Finnish road 955 is quiet (AADT 50 and up), and easy to drive. No problem to drive 80 km/h despite of being a gravel road for about half of the length. Not a bad choice but not the number one either.

At least the road is a good lesson about driving almost 200 kilometers in the middle of really nothing.
Old November 13th, 2017, 11:53 PM   #630
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
The problem with the E6 routing is of course that it zigzags across Finnmarksvidda. A more direct route Alta-Porsanger-Tana would cut roughly 200 kms off the travel distance. It's highly unlikely to happen anytime soon, though, since the route would come into conflict with a national park, be far more exposed (needing tunnels etc.), and not being particularly busy at all. Some have also suggested another route between northeastern Troms (Kåfjord) and Karasjok, but again tunnels would be needed - and it would bypass the main regional centre Alta and strategically important Lakselv/Porsanger, thus not really helping much...
True. Main purpose of a road is to connect places. There are not many places to connect in the highlands of Finnmarksvidda.

Those ones needing the fastest road between say Oslo and Kirkenes can find their way over Sweden and Finland, and save about 550 kilometers and 13 hours.

Old November 14th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #631
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

What I think many people, even within Norway, don't realize is that Norway don't only extend far north, but also far east in Finnmark. While western Norway extends to approximately the same longitude as Amsterdam, eastern Finnmark extends to 31° 10' E, i. e. east of Antalya in Turkey.

Kpc21 liked this post
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 06:38 AM   #632
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

That's true, but at that latitude east-west distances aren't as large as at the latitude of Antalya.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 07:59 AM   #633
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
What I think many people, even within Norway, don't realize is that Norway don't only extend far north, but also far east in Finnmark. While western Norway extends to approximately the same longitude as Amsterdam, eastern Finnmark extends to 31° 10' E, i. e. east of Antalya in Turkey.
However, one degree of longitude equals to 40 km only at the latitude of 70 degrees while it is 68 km in Amsterdam and 80 km in Antalya.

Anyway, the big E-W size in degrees has quite a substantial impact to the time. There is about 1:40 hour solar time difference between Bergen and Kirkenes. That is why the daylight occurs somewhat strangely in Kirkenes: Today, for instance, the Sun raises at 08:37 and sets at 12:50. Thus, the solar noon occurs at 10:44 local time.
Old November 14th, 2017, 08:26 AM   #634
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

At least they do have sun for another 13 days....

I have never heard anyone argue that Norway should be split in different time zones. I guess when the sun is either away or present day and night for large parts of the year, the disadvantages of lagging compared with the solar day is far outweighed by the convenience of being tuned with the rest of the country.

Even though each longitudinal degree of course is shorter in distance the further away you get from equator, the east - west distance is still more than 1000 km in Norway no matter how /where you count, which of course is part of the reason that it makes sense driving via Finland /Sweden when going from eg Kirkenes to Oslo.

Verso liked this post
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 08:35 AM   #635
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
At least they do have sun for another 13 days....

I have never heard anyone argue that Norway should be split in different time zones.
That would be quite ridiculous, I believe. The timezone "problem" concerns Finnmark only. (Tromsø lies on the longitude 19E.) On those latitudes, the winter is dark anyway, and in the summertime, there is enough light for everyone.
Old November 14th, 2017, 08:42 AM   #636
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

El Pilar de la Mola phare 11 km away

That's what happen when someone lives in a tiny island... a corner of the island is only 11 km away from centre island where most of people lives

https://www.google.es/maps/@38.70488...2!8i6656?hl=es

Bonus1. Once I had to explain why it didn't worth to build an airport in the island
Bonus2. They are to set congestion area in summer and allow some cars by ferry only. Rest tourists by taxi or bus.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote