daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #1
UWMilwaukeeJay

Likes (Received): 1

MILWAUKEE | Catalyst | 31 fl | Canceled

Milwaukee West downtown. Reproposed parcel where a parking lot exists.

PREVIOUS design:

Quote:
City O.K.'s 31-Story Hotel Tower
Gary Reistad
MILWAUKEE - A city agency gave a developer the green light Thursday to proceed with plans for a 31-story hotel and condo at 4th and Wisconsin. The downtown project could also include restaurants such as Hard Rock Café, ESPN Zone and House of Blues.

The tower would be built on what is now a city-owned parking lot at the southwest corner of 4th and Wisconsin. That's on the west end of The Shops of Grand Avenue mall, and just south of the Midwest Airlines Center

The tower would include a 175-room hotel, 200 condos and 100,000 square feet of retail, entertainment and office space.

At VISIT Milwaukee, the tourism bureau, president Doug Neilson said the restaurants would give a much-needed boost to the convention center area.

“Right where the meetings are taking place, there’s a real lack of energy and excitement,” he said.

Milwaukee's Redevelopment Authority gave the project a green light Thursday, but it still needs to be approved by the mayor and the Common Council.

Developer Afshin Ghazi of North Carolina can now start courting tenants for the $120 million project.

Ghazi conceded this idea is not a sure thing. "Timing is everything in real estate," said Ghazi. "We’ll find out if my timing is right, or not, soon enough."

If the tower makes it, Neilson has high hopes for the high rise. "You’ve got to create more reasons to come downtown," he said. "That’s what this does," he said.

Ghazi would have to pay the high price to clean up some environment problems on the lot. For that reason, the city plans on selling the property for just $1. The Redevelopment Authority said it is too early in the planning phase to discuss tax breaks.

Two other hotel projects proposed at the same site stopped, before the first shovel went in the ground, for financial reasons.

Ghazi hopes to have the tower completed in 2011.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; November 2nd, 2007 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Added new renderings.
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #2
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

nice-lookin' tower i must say.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #3
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

The Common Council and Mayor have to approve of it still. But it shouldn't be a problem unless Water St. resturaunts and Marcus enter into the fray concerning the proposed hotel, ESPN Zone, HRC, and HoB planned there.

Exciting project. Can't wait to see the cranes!
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #4
UWMilwaukeeJay

How does Ghazi have connections like this to build in Milwaukee? Did he just see it as an opportunity?
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #5
brewcityfan

From what I know it's probably just a big opportunity for him to expand outside of Charlotte. He apparently has a lot of great connections with companies since he already named basically everything that's going into the complex with one press release! Compared with other projects like LPT that's a miracle - LPT was proposed a year or so ago and as of now we only got one confirmed tenant - US Bank expanding. Westin is up in the air, as is another tenant.

I think with these facts out there the city should have no problem approving of this.
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #6
brewcityfan

From Friday's Milwaukee Business Journal:
Quote:
Aldermen should support Ghazi deal
The Business Journal of Milwaukee - March 16, 2007
There can be little argument that the parking lot on West Wisconsin Avenue near The Shops of Grand Avenue is the most underutilized property in downtown Milwaukee.

It is hard to believe that 2 acres of concrete is all that sits on the prime site, located near the Midwest Airlines Center and next to the Hilton Milwaukee City Center hotel. That is why Milwaukee aldermen need to support a proposal to sell the city-owned site to a North Carolina firm that has plans for a $120 million project that would include a hotel, 100,000 square feet of retail space and condominiums.

Due to environmental contamination on the former gasoline station site that has killed two previous deals, the Redevelopment Authority is recommending the property be sold for $1 to The Ghazi Co. The price tag is similar to what aldermen approved several years ago for a deal that ultimately fell through.

Ghazi's marketing plan for the site calls for leasing space to high-profile national restaurant and entertainment companies, such as Hard Rock Cafe and ESPN Zone, welcome additions to the downtown retail offerings.

The project could be just what the west side of downtown needs to continue its resurgence.
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #7
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

Likes (Received): 0

Nice looking building. The convention center needs more hotels in the area.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #8
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Finally. Great news, especially since this will replace a parking lot. What's the official name of this project?
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #9
DooMer_MP3

Likes (Received): 124

Well, the title is misleading. The Ghazi project still has a couple of major hurdles to overcome in getting past the Mayor/Common Council. I didn't think it would be an issue, but his comments on the hotel situation are less than thrilling. And then you've got local business owners who will nearly collapse at the thought of a HOB or ESPN Zone etc.
DooMer_MP3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #10
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMer_MP3 View Post
Well, the title is misleading. The Ghazi project still has a couple of major hurdles to overcome in getting past the Mayor. I didn't think it would be an issue, but his comments on the hotel situation are less than thrilling. And then you've got local business owners who will nearly collapse at the thought of a HOB or ESPN Zone etc.
As I stated before, if the Water St. businesses and Rave HATED PabstCity, they're only going to hate this one as well. But, Ghazi doesn't have plans to ask for a TIF from the city - hell it was offering to pay 3.3 million for the land they want, and the city said it'd be fine for a sale of ONE DOLLAR. So, there's 3.3 million the city gave them right there.
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #11
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

So what was actually approved: The sale of the parcel or the project itself? In re-reading this thread more carefully, I'm inclined to assume the former.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #12
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Finally. Great news, especially since this will replace a parking lot. What's the official name of this project?
This proposal has not had an official name announced yet.

Nor has this proposal actually been approved yet.

What's going on right now is the approval process for granting a purchase option for the land to the developer (and even that hasn't yet made its way to the Common Council yet; it will later this month at the earliest). That is something completely different that approving the proposal for construction.

The designs have not been finalized yet. Deadlines to submit preliminary and final designs have been made as part of the purchase option agreement.

Financing has not been completely worked out yet. Also, using TIF has not been ruled out either, so that would be something that has to be worked out if TIF is requested.

Tenants have not made commitments yet. Names have been dropped, discussions have taken place, but nothing official yet.

Lots to be done before it gets a definite green light.

Last edited by Markitect; March 19th, 2007 at 11:32 PM.
Markitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #13
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
As I stated before, if the Water St. businesses and Rave HATED PabstCity, they're only going to hate this one as well. But, Ghazi doesn't have plans to ask for a TIF from the city - hell it was offering to pay 3.3 million for the land they want, and the city said it'd be fine for a sale of ONE DOLLAR. So, there's 3.3 million the city gave them right there.
I don't think that the city was like "Oh, please don't pay us $3 million for the site, a dollar will do just fine". There are several issues at that site that have been noted in the past, such as some environmental concerns, etc.

As far as the tenant mix, the House of Blues, Hard Rock Cafe, etc. were just given as examples of the type of tenant they may be looking for. I highly doubt either of those will end up in this project. Both of those chains are a little washed up in my opinion. I expect some of the newer chains of that sort to actually come to Milwaukee.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #14
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
I don't think that the city was like "Oh, please don't pay us $3 million for the site, a dollar will do just fine". There are several issues at that site that have been noted in the past, such as some environmental concerns, etc.

As far as the tenant mix, the House of Blues, Hard Rock Cafe, etc. were just given as examples of the type of tenant they may be looking for. I highly doubt either of those will end up in this project. Both of those chains are a little washed up in my opinion. I expect some of the newer chains of that sort to actually come to Milwaukee.
My point was - Ghazi didn't complain at all about price, the city was the one who decided to lower it to $1. Ghazi was willing to pay a few million for the property, knowing its environmental conditions. So, while its not a formal official anything - its still a big incentive by the city without doing any proposed TIFs/tax breaks/etc.

And from what I took in the Business Journal report, HRC, HoB, and ESPN Zone looked as definite venues for the site if approved by the city. I'm also not at all surprised that these names pop up either. HoB we all know for sure was interested in Milwaukee since they were a confirmed tenant at the failed PabstCity project. HRC and ESPN Zone are both highly recognized entertainment/food venues that have locations in many places, including spots with populations way lower than Milwaukee's. It would be about time Milwaukee gets the same treatment as many others, large and small, across the nation and world.
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #15
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan
And from what I took in the Business Journal report, HRC, HoB, and ESPN Zone looked as definite venues for the site if approved by the city.
You have misunderstood.

They are not a list of anything definite for the Milwaukee project. Rather, they are a list of examples of the type of high-profile entertainment/restaurant places Ghazi intends to seek out for the project. He has had experience with some of them before with some of this other projects elsewhere, and has talked with some of them about his Milwaukee project, others he has not.

So, at this point in time, it is premature to say that any of those places are definitively going to be a part of this project. That's still being worked out.
Markitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #16
brewcityfan

Well that makes the whole project a lot more pessimistic than what the papers and media throw out. Alright, so I simply misunderstood the comments, but there aren't that many high-profile national entertainment venues in this country. HoB, HRC, ESPN Zone are three of possibly 10 or 12 big named venues I can call a "high profile national entertainment venue".

The possibility of these being named to the project are a lot higher than what apparently is being shown. I don't think the Business Journal, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, and the Small Business Times would just pump up the entire populus over complete nothingness.
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #17
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Well that makes the whole project a lot more pessimistic than what the papers and media throw out. Alright, so I simply misunderstood the comments, but there aren't that many high-profile national entertainment venues in this country. HoB, HRC, ESPN Zone are three of possibly 10 or 12 big named venues I can call a "high profile national entertainment venue".

The possibility of these being named to the project are a lot higher than what apparently is being shown. I don't think the Business Journal, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, and the Small Business Times would just pump up the entire populus over complete nothingness.
Then you are wrong. They are newspapers. What would be more controversial in Milwaukee than to throw out the HoB name? What do newspapers want to create? Controversy.

And who said the developer was willing to pay $3 million? No developer would willingly pay that.

Don't get me wrong, this will still be a great project with great tenants that Milwaukee has never seen. But lots of cities have a Hard Rock. Milwaukee deserves tenants that can't be found anywhere else so that people come HERE to visit them.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #18
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeD View Post
Then you are wrong. They are newspapers. What would be more controversial in Milwaukee than to throw out the HoB name? What do newspapers want to create? Controversy.

And who said the developer was willing to pay $3 million? No developer would willingly pay that.

Don't get me wrong, this will still be a great project with great tenants that Milwaukee has never seen. But lots of cities have a Hard Rock. Milwaukee deserves tenants that can't be found anywhere else so that people come HERE to visit them.
From the Milwaukee Business Journal:
Quote:
Ghazi offered to buy the property for $3.5 million. However, the Milwaukee Redevelopment Authority is recommending the city sell the land for $1 because of environmental contamination at the site, which at one time was a gasoline station
For this instance I don't feel this stirs anything controversial for the papers to feed off of. The only opponents to HoB at PabstCity were the Rave and Water St. - their lobbying efforts as well as their gaining support of Citizens for Responsible Govt. hailed PabstCity's demise. There are plenty of other topics out there that could actually sway peoples' feelings a lot more than letting us know resturaunt venues for a project.

I think the overall point that everybody is trying to relay to Milwaukeeians is that HRC, ESPN Zone, and HoB are indeed national venues, they're all not in Milwaukee, and they're all very popular entertainment venues. I mean, if Milwaukee can't land a HoB, HRC, or ESPN Zone due to "controversy" what other venue could?
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #19
exit_320

Is Planet Hollywood still around? I would love to see that come to Milwaukee!
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #20
brewcityfan

Yeah unfortunately I believe Planet Hollywood went defunct a few years back. That truly would have been an interesting venue downtown!