daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old March 14th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #61
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 9

surely this is excellent news, if the Palisades go (which they should) then the chances of totally redeveloping New Street without having to move an entire shopping centre would be far easier? or am I missing something. lol
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 15th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #62
GaryinSydney

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticallyChallenged View Post
At the risk of causing a riot might I suggest Birmingham has a big Retail Sector problem which can only get worse, at least for a period of time.
It's the population - it's changed and is still changing.
Almost half of Brum's citizens originated, or their parents originated, in another country.
We still have about one million people but their lifestyles and shopping habits don't necessarily coincide with what went before.
An exaggeration? I don't think so.
Take places like Bromsgrove, Droitwich, Redditch -they have had huge residential building programmes for years and where do you think all those new residents have come from - in the main, Birmingham.
Almost all of these people leaving Brum are young couples and children and now some pensioners are joining the exodus.
No city can change half its indigenous population without some effect and I reckon that not too many people now living in Bromsgrove etc visit Birmingham city centre very often.
So have the almost half million 'replacements' adopted the same shopping habits that went before?
I would suggest, not enough to make up for the missing 450,000 people.
When I walk round the City Centre I don't see the huge core number of lone female shoppers of all ages that used to crowd out some shopping areas.
Lots of lone males strolling around but for some family units it seems that for city shopping they all have to visit as a family group.
My suggestion is that for 'small' retail units much of what they sell can be obtain by many people in their own 'cultural' areas and usually more cheaply.
If I'm correct, this trend should also be observable in other cities that have seen this sort of population shift but I've no idea if that's the case.
As I reading too much into casual observation?
An interesting theory, but for my tuppence-worth surely the retail offering in B'ham is better than before with Selfridges etc?
I grew up nr Droitwich (family of B'ham overspill as you mention) but i always went to Brum shopping most weekends. I visit the Uk every yr or so to see family and last yr i noticed that Redditch's shopping centre was really dead with lots of empty shops, so that goes against your theory? (Surely non-Anglo heritage people don't all shop at corner shops?!)
Shame to hear about the Palisades & Oasis closing - maybe Brum needs a more focused shopping area?
I personally love the Touchwood centre at Solihull, but only B'ham City Centre has shops like Selfridges, Borders, Muji etc.
GaryinSydney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #63
Sonny97

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kinoke View Post
surely this is excellent news, if the Palisades go (which they should) then the chances of totally redeveloping New Street without having to move an entire shopping centre would be far easier? or am I missing something. lol
perhaps that may explain why so many shops are moving out and no one seems keen on taking on a new lease at the Pallasades. Ergo the more shops that move out, the more empty, barren & unprofitable the Pall becomes, thus making it easier for NSS to be redeveloped the way we all want it to be
Sonny97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #64
Sonny97

Quote:
At the risk of causing a riot might I suggest Birmingham has a big Retail Sector problem which can only get worse, at least for a period of time.
It's the population - it's changed and is still changing.
Almost half of Brum's citizens originated, or their parents originated, in another country.
We still have about one million people but their lifestyles and shopping habits don't necessarily coincide with what went before.
An exaggeration? I don't think so.
Take places like Bromsgrove, Droitwich, Redditch -they have had huge residential building programmes for years and where do you think all those new residents have come from - in the main, Birmingham.
Almost all of these people leaving Brum are young couples and children and now some pensioners are joining the exodus.
No city can change half its indigenous population without some effect and I reckon that not too many people now living in Bromsgrove etc visit Birmingham city centre very often.
So have the almost half million 'replacements' adopted the same shopping habits that went before?
I would suggest, not enough to make up for the missing 450,000 people.
When I walk round the City Centre I don't see the huge core number of lone female shoppers of all ages that used to crowd out some shopping areas.
Lots of lone males strolling around but for some family units it seems that for city shopping they all have to visit as a family group.
My suggestion is that for 'small' retail units much of what they sell can be obtain by many people in their own 'cultural' areas and usually more cheaply.
If I'm correct, this trend should also be observable in other cities that have seen this sort of population shift but I've no idea if that's the case.
As I reading too much into casual observation?
I would be inclined to agree with this sentiment. I used to live in Selly Oak/Harborne and visited the CC quite often either for shopping, leisure or entertainment. But now that Im a little older and have just recently moved to Rubery on the Brum/Bromesgrove border Im less inclined to head into town, preferring instead Bromsgrove, Redditch, Kidderminster, Merry Hill or even Droitwich. All of them (with the exception of MH) are small towns but with plenty of interesting buildings, character and choice. They're also far less intimidating places and easier to get to and park.

Its little things like these that make a difference to a shopping experience, for me at least.
Sonny97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #65
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryinSydney View Post
An interesting theory, but for my tuppence-worth surely the retail offering in B'ham is better than before with Selfridges etc?
I grew up nr Droitwich (family of B'ham overspill as you mention) but i always went to Brum shopping most weekends. I visit the Uk every yr or so to see family and last yr i noticed that Redditch's shopping centre was really dead with lots of empty shops, so that goes against your theory? (Surely non-Anglo heritage people don't all shop at corner shops?!)
Shame to hear about the Palisades & Oasis closing - maybe Brum needs a more focused shopping area?
I personally love the Touchwood centre at Solihull, but only B'ham City Centre has shops like Selfridges, Borders, Muji etc.
Hi Gary

How's Sydney?

Droitwich is nice - and you'll be pleased that they are (or have?) reopening the lido

I think Redditch is just about to have a redevelopment so that might explain the empty shops (or at least the empty shops might trigger the redevelopment).

But yes - the offer in Brum is better than it was, although there are fewer independent stores now. Something that will change soon hopefully.
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #66
VerticallyChallenged

Likes (Received): 5

Personally I'd support any sensible action to revitalise our central shopping area.
Great as it is, the Bullring possibly isn't enough on its own.
Why not set aside an area to allow an 'international' quarter where shops with a foreign or exotic identity are given lower-cost retail premises (but in a central location) to set up 'starter' outlets which should attract people from all sorts of background.
I'd even go along with some form of temporary subsidy possibly lasting 3-5 years for each new unit.
VerticallyChallenged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #67
Biosonic
Second Citizen

It's astonishing that given our ethnic minorities, that there isn't an Asian Quarter.
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #68
ShavenHeaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
It's astonishing that given our ethnic minorities, that there isn't an Asian Quarter.
There's more like an Asian ring around the city centre.

I don't really like the ideas of Asian or International Quarters - too much chance they can become seen as retail ghettos if you will, and also the target of the racists.

I'd rather see ethnic retail mixed along High/New/Corporation Street with everyone else.
ShavenHeaden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #69
Biosonic
Second Citizen

I agree with the mix of retail, but I am just surprised that there isn't an area that's more catering for the needs of the Asian community (cafe's, shops, restaurants) in the centre. This would also be a big draw for white people looking to buy authentic foodstuffs etc.
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #70
Brummie Nick
Brummie on Tour

Quote:

I don't think you should have an Asian quarter or a black quarter etc. etc. I mean shall we have a white quarter as well?

I think all areas should just be mixed. By having a predominant race all in one quarter it becomes a ghetto.

Areas like Handsworth Wood are good where there are lots of Black, Asian and White people in about equal numbers plus other races of people, this is true multicultrulism where everyone mixes and lives together not apart in their own areas.

I think the Chinesse Quarter is Ok because it is a very small minority community and the area is in the city centre and has a constant mix of visitors.

Bill Clinton about Birmingham (Former President of the United States)
Brummie Nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #71
Biosonic
Second Citizen

I don't mean a ghetto, but we have a business quarter where businesses can be close to one another, we have an entertainment quarter, and as you say Chinese and of course a Gay Quarter, so why not an area where you can get a higher concentration of Asian (or at least non-British) retailers, businesses and the like?

I have thought this for a while, and reading Prof Parky's report he also suggests that there should be something similar which sells Asian High Fashion.

He also suggests there should be a spiritual area with a place for quiet contemplation, public prayer etc.
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #72
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Likes (Received): 51

I visited Bromsgrove recently and there are quite a few empty shops, it felt a bit run down, people are campaigning for the town centre to be redeveloped saying that the shops are low cost and budget but maybe need to be a little more classy.
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #73
feltip

Likes (Received): 298

Quote:
I don't mean a ghetto, but we have a business quarter where businesses can be close to one another, we have an entertainment quarter, and as you say Chinese and of course a Gay Quarter, so why not an area where you can get a higher concentration of Asian (or at least non-British) retailers, businesses and the like?

I have thought this for a while, and reading Prof Parky's report he also suggests that there should be something similar which sells Asian High Fashion.

He also suggests there should be a spiritual area with a place for quiet contemplation, public prayer etc.
Im an agnostic but do agree a multifaith centre would be really good. Not least for bringing faiths together and showing there is no real issues between Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindu's etc and also to reflect the diversity of Brum. We have Temples and Gurdwara's and Mosques but nothing apart from Christian Cathedrals that are well signposted in city centre. Would be nice to have somewhere for tolerance and to engage people. I really would like to get to understand some other faiths more by visiting their place of worship.
Would also fit nicely with public square and near the eastside park possibly as calm space for reflection. Though maybe not with a vertical themepark and people screaming nearby lol

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:27 PM   #74
VerticallyChallenged

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
I agree with the mix of retail, but I am just surprised that there isn't an area that's more catering for the needs of the Asian community (cafe's, shops, restaurants) in the centre. This would also be a big draw for white people looking to buy authentic foodstuffs etc.

I agree with that too. This isn't a race thing it's simply sensible retail planning. We have a very successful German market once a year but every race is Brum goes and has a look and buys.
If we have a very large fraction of city population who are asian it seems to me it would make sense to attract much of that population into the city centre with appropriate retail outlets.
Bottling the asians up in their 'own' areas because their preferred retail outlets only exist there is surely counter-productive all round?
VerticallyChallenged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:18 AM   #75
ShavenHeaden

Quote:
I agree with that too. This isn't a race thing it's simply sensible retail planning. We have a very successful German market once a year but every race is Brum goes and has a look and buys.
If we have a very large fraction of city population who are asian it seems to me it would make sense to attract much of that population into the city centre with appropriate retail outlets.
Bottling the asians up in their 'own' areas because their preferred retail outlets only exist there is surely counter-productive all round?
The other side is that you risk pissing off the communities if you pluck the shops out from their local high street and make them travel into the congested city centre to do the shopping they used to be able to do round the corner.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:28 AM   #76
ShavenHeaden

Just to say - the former Nike store at the BullRing is being taken by Armani Exhange it seems - planning app C/01632/07/ADV for the signage - so at least it'll be filled up soon-ish

Edited to add: Armani Exchange are taking half, DKNY are taking the other half - not sure what this says about their Mailbox store though
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:41 AM   #77
blahblah
Change is Here!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavenHeaden View Post
Just to say - the former Nike store at the BullRing is being taken by Armani Exhange it seems - planning app C/01632/07/ADV for the signage - so at least it'll be filled up soon-ish

Edited to add: Armani Exchange are taking half, DKNY are taking the other half - not sure what this says about their Mailbox store though
DKNY Mailbox has been shut for some time. But yeah, wouldn't be sure whether Armani can support 2 stores in Brum. Is Armani Exchange one of the stores which sells clearance stock though?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:46 AM   #78
ShavenHeaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
DKNY Mailbox has been shut for some time. But yeah, wouldn't be sure whether Armani can support 2 stores in Brum. Is Armani Exchange one of the stores which sells clearance stock though?
Hehehe pretty much shows how often I need to walk through the Mailbox, eh?

I don't think it's clearance stock - I think it's just cheaper stuff to begin with.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:52 AM   #79
blahblah
Change is Here!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavenHeaden View Post
Hehehe pretty much shows how often I need to walk through the Mailbox, eh?

I don't think it's clearance stock - I think it's just cheaper stuff to begin with.
Most of the stores in there look like they're closed when they're open anyway!

That's the only way I can see them make two stores work. Mailbox for the more expensive stuff, and BullRing for cheaper and clearance stock.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:10 PM   #80
flange

Likes (Received): 675

Apple to open second store in Birmingham

Apple further expands UK retail store presence

Apple is recruiting staff for retail stores in Brighton and Solihull

Apple is quietly recruiting staff for two as-yet unconfirmed retail stores, in Birmingham and the South Coast.

The company is currently recruiting Mac users seeking to "apply for future openings" for the new shops, which are listed within Apple's retail recruitment website as being at Church Hill Square in Brighton and in the Birmingham suburb of Solihull.

No specific addresses have been given for either store.

Forthcoming positions in Glasgow's Buchanan Street, and Milton Keynes Midsummer Place are also being advertised.

Apple is reportedly also considering a new store in Edinburgh

Apple already has nine stores open in the UK, raising Apple's total store count for the UK to an estimated 14 shops.

There's jobs available at some of Apple's already open chain of nine UK retail outlets, situated at the: Birmingham, Bullring Centre; Kent, Bluewater Centre; Kingston's Bentall Centre; London, Brent Cross and Regent Street; Manchester's Arndale and Trafford Centres; Sheffield's Meadowhall; and Southampton's West Quay.
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
retail, westfield