daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:26 PM   #81
Key_In_Dudley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 85
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavenHeaden View Post
Hehehe pretty much shows how often I need to walk through the Mailbox, eh?

I don't think it's clearance stock - I think it's just cheaper stuff to begin with.
Armani Exchange has been established in the States for years, Its priced below Emporio Armani. Prices probably in line with Armani Jeans
Key_In_Dudley no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:08 PM   #82
Shel
Dalek
 
Shel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Birmingham, Greater Birmingham
Posts: 554
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
Apple further expands UK retail store presence

Apple is recruiting staff for retail stores in Brighton and Solihull

Apple is quietly recruiting staff for two as-yet unconfirmed retail stores, in Birmingham and the South Coast.

The company is currently recruiting Mac users seeking to "apply for future openings" for the new shops, which are listed within Apple's retail recruitment website as being at Church Hill Square in Brighton and in the Birmingham suburb of Solihull.


No specific addresses have been given for either store.

Forthcoming positions in Glasgow's Buchanan Street, and Milton Keynes Midsummer Place are also being advertised.

Apple is reportedly also considering a new store in Edinburgh

Apple already has nine stores open in the UK, raising Apple's total store count for the UK to an estimated 14 shops.

There's jobs available at some of Apple's already open chain of nine UK retail outlets, situated at the: Birmingham, Bullring Centre; Kent, Bluewater Centre; Kingston's Bentall Centre; London, Brent Cross and Regent Street; Manchester's Arndale and Trafford Centres; Sheffield's Meadowhall; and Southampton's West Quay.
That's really gonna please the people of Solihull: suburb of Birmingham? Although I still maintain it should be in Greater Birmingham

Good news about the Apple Store (Manchester has two: in the Arndale and Trafford Centres). So no location mentioned, but it doesn't take a genius to work out that it will be in Touchwood.
__________________
Greater Birmingham. For The Greater Good.
Shel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:42 PM   #83
ShavenHeaden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 851
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shel View Post
That's really gonna please the people of Solihull: suburb of Birmingham? Although I still maintain it should be in Greater Birmingham

Good news about the Apple Store (Manchester has two: in the Arndale and Trafford Centres). So no location mentioned, but it doesn't take a genius to work out that it will be in Touchwood.
Indeed, the Apple website gives the post code and it is Touchwood. So I'm confirming the bloody obvious. Don't I feel productive?
ShavenHeaden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:39 PM   #84
Zabz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 16
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavenHeaden View Post
Just to say - the former Nike store at the BullRing is being taken by Armani Exhange it seems - planning app C/01632/07/ADV for the signage - so at least it'll be filled up soon-ish

Edited to add: Armani Exchange are taking half, DKNY are taking the other half - not sure what this says about their Mailbox store though
Great to hear that Armani Exchange are moving into the Bullring! They sell really trendy cool clothes and acter for slight younger customers compared to Emporio Armani.

Also good news to have DKNY back after moving out of House of Fraser and closing Mailbox store. Hopefully it'll have a turn in fortune-being in Birmingham's prime location!

By the way House of Fraser is doing really well, hitting sales targets each week and even up on most weeks! I work there part time and agree that it is not as busy as a few years ago but the customers it attracts spend large amounts of money hence why it has contributed a significant amount to HoF profits this year.
Zabz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:08 PM   #85
blahblah
Change is Here!
 
blahblah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Greater Birmingham
Posts: 3,687
Likes (Received): 2

Can we change the title of this thread to something a little more 'positive' now? Or maybe just even "Birmingham Retail"

Sure, we have some empty shop units, but there are much fewer in Birmingham than in most other parts of the country.

BullRing is still the busiest shopping centre in Europe. We have 3 flagship department stores, which are all doing very well in HoF, Selfridges & Debenhams (Biggest store they have is the BullRing)

Harvey Nichols is expanding, and more units are coming to the Mailbox.
__________________
I yam. Therefore I am.
blahblah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:04 PM   #86
Bel Ludovic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London
Posts: 321
Likes (Received): 0

What other units are coming to the Mailbox, out of curiosity?

It's Corporation Street that I'm more concerned about. It's one of Birmingham liveliest and most attractive streets - there shouldn't be a vacant unit on there. With Urban Outfitters open, Corporation Street (and Cannon Street) ought to be the ideal kind of environment to attract the same kind of retailers as Carnaby Street or Seven Dials in London, eg American Apparel, Fopp (relocated from Bull Street), Replay, Vans etc.

But besides, my main grievance is the lack of independent stores. As I said in my opening post, indies were predicted to flock to newly-affordable units vacated by Bull Ring-bound chains. And it hasn't happened. Which means, for example, that it's STILL really difficult to find a decent non-chain coffee shop in Birmingham city centre. Or indeed anywhere in Brum.
Bel Ludovic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:32 PM   #87
blahblah
Change is Here!
 
blahblah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Greater Birmingham
Posts: 3,687
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel Ludovic View Post
What other units are coming to the Mailbox, out of curiosity?

It's Corporation Street that I'm more concerned about. It's one of Birmingham liveliest and most attractive streets - there shouldn't be a vacant unit on there. With Urban Outfitters open, Corporation Street (and Cannon Street) ought to be the ideal kind of environment to attract the same kind of retailers as Carnaby Street or Seven Dials in London, eg American Apparel, Fopp (relocated from Bull Street), Replay, Vans etc.

But besides, my main grievance is the lack of independent stores. As I said in my opening post, indies were predicted to flock to newly-affordable units vacated by Bull Ring-bound chains. And it hasn't happened. Which means, for example, that it's STILL really difficult to find a decent non-chain coffee shop in Birmingham city centre. Or indeed anywhere in Brum.

Not sure about actual tennants, but what I was referring to are the plans to open up the area which runs from behind the escalators up to the Beeb, and the Canal. Aparently, that is just empty at the moment, and Mailbox are planning to open it up to provide more retail space.

I agree about Corporation St. I personally think that the number of people waiting for buses on that road is responsible for some of the empty units. I can certainly see why some people would find walking through a crowd of young(er) people waiting for a bus to get into a shop intimidating.

I also agree about the independant shop situation, but I don't think it's a good idea for landlord's to reduce rents, or the council to subsidise them. The business has to be able to survive on its own, otherwise it will collapse as soon as the rent increases or the subsidy goes. I'm sure MartinN said this had happened in Cov.
__________________
I yam. Therefore I am.
blahblah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:24 PM   #88
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,
 
pirlo_21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 2,385
Likes (Received): 96

apparently borders are due to leave too
__________________
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm - George Orwell
http://babbage.cs.qc.edu/courses/cs341/IEEE-754.html
pirlo_21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:35 PM   #89
rottersclub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Coventry, Warwickshire
Posts: 3,688
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlo_21 View Post
apparently borders are due to leave too

The UK Borders stores are all up for sale - the US company has a bad year and wants to dispose of its European Business. There may be a management buyout. I'm annoyed, as the one in Coventry is really good!

HMV/Waterstones are also in trouble. Big trouble, and Virgin are racking up huge losses.

Last edited by rottersclub; March 23rd, 2007 at 06:54 PM.
rottersclub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:38 PM   #90
blahblah
Change is Here!
 
blahblah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Greater Birmingham
Posts: 3,687
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlo_21 View Post
apparently borders are due to leave too
Doesn't surprise me.

What exactly is Borders' Focus? As you walk in the store, there is nothing attractive about it, nothing to pull you in. Where are the bestsellers? The promotional lines? Even the windows just look like a cluttered mess.

Their Magazine display is dreadfull, the books display is too fragmented for such a small bookstore, their Paperchase stationery sections, and Music & DVD displays are also terrible. Where are the charts & the bestsellers? Do they not want to sell the Bestselling lines? Or are they trying to compete with Waterstone's and HMV for range? Trying to compete with 2 of Waterstone's biggest bookstores for range without the floorspace? It was never going to work!

Are they meant to be a better version of WHSmith? Why bother? WHSmith aren't doing a very good job of being WHSmith at the moment, but at least their stores in town are busy. I can't understand how a big store like Borders can be so quiet!

Poor performing stores are not a reflection on Birmingham. Because Birmingham is such a big and competetive place for retailing, it also means that it's a very unforgiving place for stores which are weak, because there are so many other places competing for your money.

As MartinN has said above, Virgin and HMV/Waterstone's group are really struggling, and they know what they're doing!

Talking of WHSmith, I wonder if BullRing will try to get them in instead? I doubt they'd want the whole unit though.
__________________
I yam. Therefore I am.
blahblah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:43 PM   #91
Blunther
Kebab Whore
 
Blunther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Brummagem, Weoley Castle
Posts: 3,009
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinN View Post
The UK Borders stores are all up for sale - the US company has a bad year and wants to dispose of its European Business. There may be a management buyout. I'm annoyed, as the one in Coventry is really good!

HMV/Waterstones are also in trouble. Big trouble, and Virgin are raking up huge losses.
Not surprised... Amazon can undercut them all!
Blunther no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:50 PM   #92
rottersclub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Coventry, Warwickshire
Posts: 3,688
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Doesn't surprise me.

What exactly is Borders' Focus? As you walk in the store, there is nothing attractive about it, nothing to pull you in. Where are the bestsellers? The promotional lines? Even the windows just look like a cluttered mess.

Their Magazine display is dreadfull, the books display is too fragmented for such a small bookstore, their Paperchase stationery sections, and Music & DVD displays are also terrible. Where are the charts & the bestsellers? Do they not want to sell the Bestselling lines? Or are they trying to compete with Waterstone's and HMV for range? Trying to compete with 2 of Waterstone's biggest bookstores for range without the floorspace? It was never going to work!

Are they meant to be a better version of WHSmith? Why bother? WHSmith aren't doing a very good job of being WHSmith at the moment, but at least their stores in town are busy. I can't understand how a big store like Borders can be so quiet!

Poor performing stores are not a reflection on Birmingham. Because Birmingham is such a big and competetive place for retailing, it also means that it's a very unforgiving place for stores which are weak, because there are so many other places competing for your money.

Talking of WHSmith, I wonder if BullRing will try to get them in instead? I doubt they'd want the whole unit though.
The Borders in Coventry has the bestsellers as you walk in through the door. They also have the best selection of magazines I've ever seen - including a lot of British small press stuff and US magazines. WH Smith's stopped selling many low volume magazines years ago, and killed a fair few off in the process.

I agree though, Borders stores are a bit disorganised... Although the one in Coventry has an excellent selection of books. They are very pricey though.

Bookshops can't compete with supermarkets - they flog bestsellers and chart books very cheap as loss leaders. Ottakars tried to compete and ended up having to sell themselves to HMV when their sales of Harry Potter didn't meet expectation - stupidly, they put all their eggs in one basket. Now HMV is in trouble, and they are going to reduce the variety of books Waterstones sell to childrens and novels.

Tim Waterstone's approach was better - sell a wide range of books and forget about competing with supermarkets who stock maybe a couple of dozen titles. When he was in charge of Waterstones they used to stock an incredible range of stuff. WH Smiths ruined it when they took it over, and now HMV are nailing the lid down.

Not everyone wants the big sellers. A lot of midlist authors generate steady income, and new authors will find it impossible to get published - unless they're a celeb. it's bad for the publishing industry.
rottersclub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM   #93
rottersclub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Coventry, Warwickshire
Posts: 3,688
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunther View Post
Not surprised... Amazon can undercut them all!
They can... But the thing is, I love wandering and browsing round bookshops... And generally end up buying something there and then if I like it. Amazon is good if I want the new Ian Rankin, but it's nice to occasionally wander around and find a new author...

I'd be quite sad if the high street stores all end up selling nothing but sell sellers - not only because I read, but because I write as well!
rottersclub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:02 PM   #94
blahblah
Change is Here!
 
blahblah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Greater Birmingham
Posts: 3,687
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinN View Post
The Borders in Coventry has the bestsellers as you walk in through the door. They also have the best selection of magazines I've ever seen - including a lot of British small press stuff and US magazines. WH Smith's stopped selling many low volume magazines years ago, and killed a fair few off in the process.

I agree though, Borders stores are a bit disorganised... Although the one in Coventry has an excellent selection of books. They are very pricey though.

Bookshops can't compete with supermarkets - they flog bestsellers and chart books very cheap as loss leaders. Ottakars tried to compete and ended up having to sell themselves to HMV when their sales of Harry Potter didn't meet expectation - stupidly, they put all their eggs in one basket. Now HMV is in trouble, and they are going to reduce the variety of books Waterstones sell to childrens and novels.

Tim Waterstone's approach was better - sell a wide range of books and forget about competing with supermarkets who stock maybe a couple of dozen titles. When he was in charge of Waterstones they used to stock an incredible range of stuff. WH Smiths ruined it when they took it over, and now HMV are nailing the lid down.

Not everyone wants the big sellers. A lot of midlist authors generate steady income, and new authors will find it impossible to get published - unless they're a celeb. it's bad for the publishing industry.
True. The only way any of WHS/HMV/Waterstones'/Virgin Records are going to survive is to follow Tim Waterstone's original model as you said. Plenty of range, good customer service from staff who know what they're on about, and a bit of retail theatre. Otherwise they're dead.

Isn't Tim Waterstone back as a major shareholder in HMV Group now?
__________________
I yam. Therefore I am.
blahblah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:43 PM   #95
feltip
Registered User
 
feltip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Balsall Heath :Birmingham
Posts: 11,838
Likes (Received): 285

Borders can be a bid varied at times but it also stocks some titles Waterstones doesnt. You really need to shop around sometimes between Waterstones and Borders. WHSmith can rot for all I care. They have no idea what theyre selling or why they exist.

WHSmith work in stations (although expensive) as they cater for the basic of what you need, newspaper, drink, nibble.

I agree with MartinN, bookshops will never really die on high street as people do like to peruse at leisure and flick through paper.

I think, and this applies to HMV and other stores, is that the internet and also Tesco has meant lots of companies traditional sales portfolio can be bought online or within a big supermarket. Niche can definitely win and specialist but its a case of use it or lose it.
The last independent gay and lesbian bookshop in London is facing threat as rents increasing and lots more bookshops have gay and lesbian sections so its a turbulant market.
__________________
Regeneration -
Changing Places and Transforming Lives.



GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #96
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User
 
SimonTheSoundMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 7,955
Likes (Received): 707

P2P sharing on the web of illegal music has contributed an awful lot to HMV and Virgin's poor sales. Whole music industry has suffered.
__________________
Me.
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #97
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User
 
SimonTheSoundMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 7,955
Likes (Received): 707

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...40206&from=rss
__________________
Me.
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #98
Scazmattaz
New to London
 
Scazmattaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London
Posts: 1,264
Likes (Received): 0

Its seems that the retailing core of all of our towns / cities is becoming increasingly focused on particular areas - Coventrys is the Precincts and then the 7 retail parks which we already have!!

Birmingham's seems to be very focused on the Bullring, Bullring end of New Street and the Mailbox; aswell as places like The Fort Shopping Park.

Streets surrounding these areas seem to be having very little success.
__________________
One of the great lessons of life. People treat you back in the same way you treat them.
Scazmattaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #99
rottersclub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Coventry, Warwickshire
Posts: 3,688
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scazmattaz View Post

Streets surrounding these areas seem to be having very little success.
Surely this is because city centres are becoming dominated by large malls themselves. Traditionally, you'd have the main streets, and outlying streets would be filled up with the more obscure or specialist types of retailers. With something like the Bullring, there's no need to leave it...

The only time we went shopping at the bullring, we got the train in, and got the train back without actually leaving it! I much preferred it when you could walk around a bit - nip into the older malls, wander up through the back streets. Up past Virgin, along Corporation Street, etc, etc. I seem to be a minority, though. The same big chains that have taken over retail parks take over these huge malls... A lot of the specialist places have closed.
rottersclub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #100
city living
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 471
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel Ludovic View Post
What other units are coming to the Mailbox, out of curiosity?
I noticed that the mobile phone retailer 3 have left and nandos are going to take there unit.

Good move in my opinion as it means on that top floor it will be all bars/resturants.
city living no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
retail, westfield

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu