daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1076 votes, 4.98 average.
Old August 12th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #17021
maddyvoldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen_blr View Post
it was approved for extensions (fully) while conditionally for new lines right ?
Condition was for new line, yes. No condition for extensions but the signed final approval will be given for entire phase. PIB just cleared it with conditions. Union Cabinet is yet to approve.
maddyvoldy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 12th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #17022
engineer.akash
Citizen of the milky way

Likes (Received): 2713

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyvoldy View Post
Condition was for new line, yes. No condition for extensions but the signed final approval will be given for entire phase. PIB just cleared it with conditions. Union Cabinet is yet to approve.
I hope that electronic city line is litigation free...

TIER TWO CITIES RAKSHAK
engineer.akash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #17023
maddyvoldy

Road or rail overbridge

Metro,BBMP Yet To Talk

Quote:
Bangalore: Residents living in the interstices of Jayanagar-BTM Layout are trapped between a rock and hard place.They first learnt that a Namma Metro realignment,a decision taken without their nod,will deprive them of their homes around Jayadeva Hospital.Before they could even comprehend this came the announcement that BBMP will build an elevated road from Jayadeva Hospital junction to Central Silk Board (CSB).

Currently,Jayadeva Hospital junction stands at the intersection of Bannerghatta Road and Outer Ring Road.Two Metro lines are slated to intercross at this junction,from where another elevated road will originate and go eastwards towards CSB.While the existing roads are surface stretches,the railroad will be elevated and so is the elevated road leading to CSB.

Now what will go over what is the question bothering the residents.Will Metro go over the new proposed elevated road or is it vice-versa

The BBMP and Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation (BMRC) have chosen not to discuss the issue,leaving the residents perplexed on their next course of action.The residents,in fact,were waiting to take legal recourse when the Metro realignment landed them in a mess.Now,the elevated road proposal has stumped them.

Jayadeva Interchange Metro Victims Association (JIMVA) coordinator K Ramesh says,We are constantly getting confused over the elevated road and Metro alignment,which is said to be integrated with each other.We were first told that the BMRC planned to get German technology to build this railroad bridge but now that has subsided.Presently,we have come to know that both BBMP and BMRCL are not talking to each other about this project.If Metro line is set to be taken above the elevated road from the centre of the road,then few buildings and properties on either side will be impacted.We only have to spare land for road widening to allow this project.

But there is no clear announcement on the project.Neither has any feasibility test been conducted.We were mulling over legal steps to save our properties from the realignment of Metro station,a decision thrust upon by two government agencies without public consent, he says.

The residents though may have to live with the fear of losing their properties for some more time.BBMP commissioner M Lakshminarayana told TOI,We have to undertake the project in consultation with the BMRC but the meetings are yet to be held.We have to sit through and plan how the two projects can be integrated.

HOPES DASHED

Jayanagar-BTM Layout residents say two large public interests are being taken care of by the realignment in the project: the hospital and the Metro.Then why not use government land lying next to Jayadeva Hospital,asks Jayadeva Interchange Metro Victims Association (JIMVA).JIMVAs representation to the BMRC in this regard has not cut ice with authorities.BMRC officials say that the particular land on Gottigere-Nagavara line is too far from the present station location (after realignment away from hospital) and hence is not useful as passengers cannot interchange from one corridor to the other conveniently.

Source: TOI
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #17024
i_win

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi View Post
Sounds like bad times for NM. New guy's CV doesnt sound great. He was accused in some real estate fiasco too. But on the other hand we never know if there is some pleasant surprise waiting for Bangalore citizens in himI(just being optimistic).
On the contrary, there is good reason to be optimistic. When I saw the news, I remembered the name as the guy in charge when the Bus system in Bangalore was turned around.

This is from SM Krishna's time. BTS, as it was then called, was a division of KSRTC. It was separated out as BMTC and turned from a loss making, shabby & inefficient set-up to one of the only consistently profitable public transport bus corporations in India and also arguably one of the most innovative. Kharola was in the A-Team of bureaucrats at that time, which included folks like Jayakar Jerome who revived the BDA.

Besides this indicator of efficiency, there is also reason for optimism that he can see the big picture. I attended a talk that the gentleman gave at a BATF seminar when he pitched for a BRTS-like system for Bangalore. This is before BRTS had become a buzz word, before even the Metro was conceived.
The original ELRTS (Elevated Light Rail Transit System) proposal was dying a slow death at the time as the winning bidder (UB group led consortium ) was refusing to implement it without a government subsidy and the GoK was unwilling to provide such a subsidy.
Kharola's pitch, as an alternative to the ELRTS, was for a system he called the 'Metro Bus' along arterial routes in the heart of the city. It was to be finance by a Swedish body similar to the Japanese one funding the metro. Project fell through because the Swedes insisted that Swedish equipment be used and this was before the time when we were comfortable about shelling out 70-80 lacs for a Volvo bus. And then ofcourse the metro project got traction instead.

Not saying that BRTS would have been a better solution - given Bangalore population growth, Metro would have been inevitable, but ability to think outside the box and adapt from best practices elsewhere is definitely an asset.

Sivasailam has done a good job but imo he tends to be abrasive and not that open to pubic criticism & feedback. Hopefully the change will be for the good. And timing wise, we are almost done with phase 1 - all tenders awarded and execution ongoing, while phase 2 has not yet begun, so as good a time for change as any. Sivasailam himself came in at a much more crucial juncture when Madhu was shunted out by HDK.
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #17025
mreccentric
Bangalorean!

Likes (Received): 2

read the news today... In TOI, its being said that Nagavara Line is to be extended via Hebbal and Yelahanka. How is that possible?, because Hebbal lies before nagavara. Moreover, we had discussed here, and also BMRC sources were that extension will not have Yelahanka in its way.
mreccentric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #17026
tejaswi.bgl
Tejas

Likes (Received): 1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreccentric View Post
read the news today... In TOI, its being said that Nagavara Line is to be extended via Hebbal and Yelahanka. How is that possible?, because Hebbal lies before nagavara. Moreover, we had discussed here, and also BMRC sources were that extension will not have Yelahanka in its way.
Whatever TOI has reported today, is wrong as the proposed extension to BIA is along Nagavara (and probably other areas like Dodda Gubbi, Bileshivale etc.) and not Yelahanka. The reporter seems to be of the opinion that the planned metro link between Yelahanka and Sarjapur would be extended to the airport, which is not the case. Though it is a fact that Bangaloreans still do not have much reason to think of reaching BIAL through any other route other than the one through Hebbal and Yelahanka, it is surprising that a journalist is not aware of the exact developments....

However, I am personally in favor of such an extension happening as it would mean that 2 lines (from Nagavara and Yelahanka) connect BIAL to the rest of the city. It would also enhance Hebbal's status as an intermodal transit hub.

Last edited by tejaswi.bgl; August 12th, 2013 at 07:29 PM.
tejaswi.bgl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #17027
Cygnus-X1

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejaswi.bgl View Post
2 lines (from Nagavara and Yelahanka) connect BIAL to the rest of the city. It would also enhance Hebbal's status as an intermodal transit hub.
Metro construction costs are already too high + there is really no need for two long lines to BIA. Even one line may take long to build up ridership levels since the area past Manyata has just started developing only a few years back.
Cygnus-X1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #17028
tejaswi.bgl
Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus-X1 View Post
Metro construction costs are already too high + there is really no need for two long lines to BIA. Even one line may take long to build up ridership levels since the area past Manyata has just started developing only a few years back.
I definitely agree that the construction costs are high. However, in my opinion the ridership issues arise only in the case of a high speed rail link whose fares are not generally within the reach of most budget travellers (those taking the public transport to reach the airport). Moreover, such a project is of no use to passengers to any place other than the airport; this is not the case with the metro as it serves all the residential and commercial areas on the way to the airport, equally well.

It may not really be long before the areas in the airport's neighbourhood develop, considering the projects that we are getting to read of nowadays, so the metro even if extended beyond the airport with an interchange station at trumpet interchange, may not run empty. To cut down the costs, they can explore the possibility of laying the tracks at the grade level as an elevated line may not really happen at certain locations due to the presence of Yelahanka airforce base.
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #17029
maddyvoldy

Reach 3B

Copyright: KPN
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #17030
sri_ns

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfs View Post
contd...
sfs,

Excellent photos.. Thanks!

But, looking at the pictures, I have no idea how they have been saying that it will be opened in Jul(?), Aug, Sep, etc.. IMO, it will take at least 3 months to finish all the work. Probably Dec, or a new year gift..

It's comical.. Something like kids telling their parents that they will be done with their homework in 30 min, 20 min, 5 min..., while knowing that they are no where near being done.

I know the constraints, the nature of the job, etc.. But, after the Mantri and Soap factory fiasco, there is no one else other than the contractors to blame for this delay.

Having gone thru the same never ending deadlines in the Purple line, they should have just given themselves an easier deadline, worked a little harder, delivered a little bit early and gained some trust.. It's almost like "Tola bantu Tola" (boy shouting that wolves are coming to eat his sheep). They have lost all credibility (now that both State and Central govts are Cong).

I do respect them and am thankful for what they are doing. It's just a constructive criticism.

What are they doing with all the excavated/drilled soil? Where are they dumping it? Already Bangalore has issues with landfills - no where to dump all the waste. So, where are these guys dumping all of that soil? I hope they are not destroying any remaining lakes/forests..

Thanks!

Last edited by sri_ns; August 12th, 2013 at 10:29 PM.
sri_ns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #17031
maddyvoldy

New chief promises transparency in BMRCL

Kharola says he will fix problems at the first opportunity

Quote:
Pradeep Singh Kharola, who assumed office as the Managing Director of Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited (BMRCL) on Monday, said that his priority was to ensure that the working of the corporation was transparent and hassle-free.

Speaking to reporters at an informal gathering, he said that although there were not many major problems in the BMRCL, small glitches would be fixed.

BMRCL has been at the receiving end of public anger for allegedly withholding information and initiating projects without public debate and consent. Former Managing Director of BMRCL, N Sivasailam, had said at a recent public interaction, “I tweet project details. Our website too has plenty of information regarding the projects.”

However, people had expressed dissatisfaction about his comment, saying that Twitter and the BMRCL website were not of much use to people who cannot read English.

Consequently, the BMRCL decided to make the website bi-lingual. But the effort was limited only to the home page. Key content and essential information on the website were displayed in English alone.

When a journalist questioned the quality of the website, calling it inferior to that of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation, Sivasailam said they would work on improving the site soon.

Kharola said it would take some time for him to be able to comment on specific issues relating to the Corporation or the project.

“We are committed to adhering to deadlines and will work towards the expedited completion of works. We will throw open the Metro reaches to the public as early as possible.”

When questioned about the phase-II project near Jayadeva Hospital, which has become a cause for concern among citizens, he said that the Corporation would try to fix the problem soon. He added that it was too early to comment on the implementation of phase-II as the process had just begun.

He said the Corporation would take measures to ensure safety of labourers and also prevent accidents. BMRCL has been a talking point lately for lax safety measures, with even the High Court criticising BMRCL on the matter.

Meanwhile, the Union Labour Department has issued a show-cause notice to several contractors of BMRCL, seeking the reason for the impounding of their licences.
Old August 13th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #17032
maddyvoldy

No compromise on safety or deadline, says new Bangalore metro boss

Quote:
BANGALORE: Barely three hours after he stepped into his new shoes as head of the Bangalore Metro project, Pradeep Singh Kharola knew it was no cushy job. But the recipient of the Prime Minister's award for excellence in public administration last year believes the journey should be effortless. In a free-wheeling interview with TOI on Monday, he talks about deadlines, transparency and the safety of one of Bangalore's biggest infrastructure projects.

You've taken charge at a crucial stage, where only one leg of Phase I of the project is complete. Bangaloreans' expectations are rising. How will you keep up with the deadlines?

I've just taken charge of Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation and am trying to understand its structure and processes. I have the responsibility to see the entire network is completed expeditiously. There are deadlines, and we should gear our sources to stick to them. Give me some time.

On two occasions, the high court pulled up BMRC on the issue of safety, and even threatened to stop work. How will you ensure safety without compromising on deadlines?

As chief executive, I have the prime responsibility of delivering the train to this city. Safety is paramount. I admit road users have been put to discomfort but we cannot compromise on safety, both for citizens and workers. My engineering teams will do their best to ensure this. I promise to look into the loopholes, if any.

BMRC is not known for transparency. Do you agree that a big project like this needs to be transparent in its functioning?

We're a public limited company, a government body and are answerable under the RTI. I promise we'll be totally transparent. There's no question of me or BMRC being inaccessible to the people or media.

BMRC has never sought public consent though the metro is a public infrastructure project. A DPR is sent to the government, and after approval, it's thrust on the public. Is this fair?

It's a large and complex project. Alignment and location of stations do throw up questions which can be addressed by taking the views of all stakeholders. Everyone cannot be satisfied but at least their views can be heard. It's too early to comment on any plan.

A lack of coordination between the BBMP and BMRC is responsible for our pathetic roads. How will you change this?

I understand roads are getting damaged due to heavy construction in the middle or along the sides of roads. I'll sort this out with BBMP commissioner M Lakshminarayana.

March 2015 is the new deadline for Phase 1. Assuming it's not completed, will you start Phase 2?

Surveys are on simultaneously so the project is not delayed. We'll try to complete the project at the earliest and deliver it on time to Bangaloreans.
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #17033
mreccentric
Bangalorean!

extending nagavara line is little foolish, because there is no much development/population after Nagavara in that line. Also, consider a person from jayanagar or south bangalore who wants to reach airport. he cannot reach nagavara fast to alight a metro to BIA, since it does not come on or near NH.
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #17034
maddyvoldy

Old August 13th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #17035
maddyvoldy

Source: Kannada Prabha
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #17036
maddyvoldy

Source: Udayavani
Old August 13th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #17037
tejaswi.bgl
Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreccentric View Post
extending nagavara line is little foolish, because there is no much development/population after Nagavara in that line. Also, consider a person from jayanagar or south bangalore who wants to reach airport. he cannot reach nagavara fast to alight a metro to BIA, since it does not come on or near NH.
We all know that the corridors along which metro has been planned, are seeing development. It would be same with the areas between Nagavara and Devanahalli. For the time being, a person from South Bangalore can continue to reach the airport in the same manner that he is doing at present. Once the line is extended, I don't think the airport-bound passengers need to alight the train at Nagavara and board a second train to the airport; the same train would take him all the way to the airport, unless I am thoroughly mistaken.

However, I fail to understand the logic behind terminating the line at Gottigere. Is there any specific reason for this? In my opinion, the line should have been extended to Anekal via Bannerghatta, National park and Jigani; a second option would have been to enter Electronics City through its backyard and terminate the line at the junction of Hosur road, so that the whole of E-city is covered. The Bommasandra line I believe, involves only one station at the entrance and therefore the people would still need to walk to their offices after alighting the train. Not a problem but there existed a better solution in my opinion.

I know it involves a huge cost, but when it comes to developing quality infrastructure like the metro, they should have sought to cover as many areas as possible.
Old August 13th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #17038
Jholawala
BANNED

Likes (Received): 228

My dream was to have "airport train terminals" in various stations in the city, where one could check in their baggage and collect boarding passes at the terminals itself. For example, one station in Jayanagar could have been expanded and a "sterile section" could have been created where there would be airline desks, where a person would check in his baggage, and the baggage would be loaded onto the next BIAL-bound train. The passenger would enter the train with his hand baggage and boarding pass, and would be transported straight to BIAL, where he can get off and walk into the terminal and straight to security check.

There could have been 3-4 stations like this, with airline desks and boarding-pass and check-in facilities. Maybe one in Jayanagar, one on Mysore road, one in ITPL, one in Indiranagar, one in Hebbal, one in Yeshwanthpur, etc.

This would solve the problem of airport commute forever. The traffic on BIAL stretch would reduce to a trickle. People would take taxis or autos only to the closest "airport station" - for example, someone in BTM would take a taxi only to Jayanagar, someone in Banashankri 3rd stage would take a taxi only to Mysore road, etc. From there, he would check in his baggage, sit in the train, and get off directly at BIAL, only for security check.

This is just a dream, I know that it will never happen. But just imagine if it were to become a reality - there is no harm in dreaming anyway.

tejaswi.bgl liked this post
Jholawala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #17039
mreccentric
Bangalorean!

tejaswi, what you said was partly right. but you can't neglect a developed area. Your opinion seems to be like this, since Jayanagar is already developed and populated, we shouldn't have had metro there. We should have had it(same metro infrastructure) to the somewhere outside so that we can develop that area(which is at outskirt). So, you are of the opinion, stretch metro to an undeveloped area to develop it.

Jholwala, nice imagination. But, it takes lot of understanding between the airlines and BMRC for this to happen.
Old August 13th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #17040
tejaswi.bgl
Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jholawala View Post
My dream was to have "airport train terminals" in various stations in the city, where one could check in their baggage and collect boarding passes at the terminals itself. For example, one station in Jayanagar could have been expanded and a "sterile section" could have been created where there would be airline desks, where a person would check in his baggage, and the baggage would be loaded onto the next BIAL-bound train. The passenger would enter the train with his hand baggage and boarding pass, and would be transported straight to BIAL, where he can get off and walk into the terminal and straight to security check.

There could have been 3-4 stations like this, with airline desks and boarding-pass and check-in facilities. Maybe one in Jayanagar, one on Mysore road, one in ITPL, one in Indiranagar, one in Hebbal, one in Yeshwanthpur, etc.

This would solve the problem of airport commute forever. The traffic on BIAL stretch would reduce to a trickle. People would take taxis or autos only to the closest "airport station" - for example, someone in BTM would take a taxi only to Jayanagar, someone in Banashankri 3rd stage would take a taxi only to Mysore road, etc. From there, he would check in his baggage, sit in the train, and get off directly at BIAL, only for security check.

This is just a dream, I know that it will never happen. But just imagine if it were to become a reality - there is no harm in dreaming anyway.
If I am not wrong this was what was planned for Hebbal and Yelahanka as a part of the HSRL project. Now that the metro reaching the airport is a certainty, it is not altogether intangible to achieve this, provided there is co-ordination between the airlines and BMRCL.

Tags
ನಮ್ಮ ಮೆಟ್ರೊ, ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು, bangalore metro, bengaluru, metro, namma metro, traffic

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: