daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:13 AM   #221
edolen1
Monkey business

Likes (Received): 6

Nah, Koper is the main port for Slovenia, because of infrastructure and political reasons. It's bigger than the one in Rijeka, AFAIK..
edolen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2007, 10:17 AM   #222
snupix

Likes (Received): 36

Anyway, that motorway should be built ASAP. But what are the priority roads in Slovenia that have to be built, apart from the one to Hungary? Everything else is already built (some small parts missing on the A2). It's more political, i would say...
snupix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 12:24 PM   #223
renco
Grad heroj

Likes (Received): 491

Fantastic thread.Generally SLO roads and highways looks amazing.Only if u could speed up a pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by snupix View Post
Anyway, that motorway should be built ASAP. But what are the priority roads in Slovenia that have to be built, apart from the one to Hungary? Everything else is already built (some small parts missing on the A2). It's more political, i would say...
It is political display no question about that.
renco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 12:32 PM   #224
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Priorities:
1 - to complete whole "motorway cross" - should be next year
2 - additional motorway program, but main priorities will probably go to linking Maribor to Gruškovje and new/additional expressway on the coast to Istria. and expressway from Celje to Austria.
3 - some new highways on third-A and fourth development axis. Expressway from Austria (at Dravograd or Mežica) to Croatia at Metlika (third development axis) will be built in full length, but not soon. It will be probably one of the most costliest roads in Slovenia.

Current traffic data (look line no. 126) does not justify building even a two-laned expressway from Rupa to Italy. Few bypasses and modernising some other sections should suffice for quite a long time. Sorry, but many other roads in Slovenia have higher priorities and more importantly much more traffic. Heck, many roads, which have a lot more traffic than let say Rupa - Kozina main road, won't see expressway nor motorway built anytime in the future. If ever.

Nice graphical view of traffic data for 2005
. Now you see, why some connections to Croatia will wait for some time.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:16 PM   #225
snupix

Well according to that map you can see that MB-ZG should have higher priority than MB-Hungary, if we look at the traffic... So...

And I don't understand that nobody's thinking about the future, bc when Croatia joins the EU once, these figures will surely change, especially in freight traffic.

So just to be clear, I respect Slovenia's priorities and wills and it's Slo's right that nobody can change, but nobody can assure me (or 90% of HR) that ignoring road connections to Croatia isn't political...
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:39 PM   #226
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Nice graphical view of traffic data for 2005
. Now you see, why some connections to Croatia will wait for some time.
Your motorways are so quiet! Nice driving on them, i think there are few traffic jams, even on the Ljubljana ringroad?

Your busiest urban motorway is like our rural motorways
However our bordercrossings are quiet too. Mostly freight traffic.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:05 PM   #227
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by snupix View Post
Well according to that map you can see that MB-ZG should have higher priority than MB-Hungary, if we look at the traffic... So...
Yes, but if you look numbers in xls spreadsheet, you'll find, that MB-Hungary has daily 3000 trucks or more. To Gruškovje only 1000. And this is for 2006. Some days MB-Hungary sees more than 5000 trucks daily and this number is increasing very rapidly (in second half of 2004 it rose up to 60%). That's why construction of motorway is speeding up, trucks are the only reason. Few years ago number of trucks was similar to that of Gruškovje / Macelj border crossing and motorway was planned to be completed in 2013. Now they want to complete it 5 years earlier, because situation on main road is becoming critical.

Quote:
And I don't understand that nobody's thinking about the future, bc when Croatia joins the EU once, these figures will surely change, especially in freight traffic.
Sure, that's because A2 is being completed next year, and construction of A4 to MB-Gruškovje will start in next weeks. It's not so black as it seems.

Quote:
So just to be clear, I respect Slovenia's priorities and wills and it's Slo's right that nobody can change, but nobody can assure me (or 90% of HR) that ignoring road connections to Croatia isn't political...
You may want to think so, but I very much doubt, that 5000 daily traffic, including 400 truck justifies building brand new motorway, while some parts of Slovenia have traffic of triple or even quadruple of those numbers and won't have motorway or at least expressway for a foreseeable future.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 06:34 PM   #228
edolen1
Monkey business

This April was the first month that saw 100,000 trucks on the main road through Prekmurje. That's an incredible growth, and even with the huge growth taken into account, it was only expected it would reach such a number by the end of 2007. And this is something the locals have to put up with daily, while the road to Gruškovje is only a real traffic jam two months per year. However the section between Ptuj and Maribor is a different story due to daily commuters, and that section will be completed in 2009.

I know it's nice to think it's all political, but I really see no reason why it would be. The Trieste-Rijeka motorway wouldn't serve the Port of Rijeka much, as the main markets for Koper and Rijeka are Central and Eastern Europe, while any envy because of tourism is just ridicolous, tourism does not represent such an important factor in our economy to justify such stupid behaviour.

I do agree however that in the future it will become an important corridor, especially with the economic development further south in the Balkans, but that will not happen for a few years to come. Oh, and on a side note, when will the motorway from Rijeka down to Senj be built?
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #229
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Great pix, keber! I was gonna do the A2 motorway (LJ-ZG) as well, but then my hard disc was destroyed!

Anyway, I'll still take photos of it, but in the other direction.

Last edited by Verso; June 5th, 2007 at 01:20 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #230
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nice route: Ljubljana - Zagreb - Maribor - Ljubljana. See some motorways in the other direction, and i'm not sure if i seen pics of the Croatian A2 Zagreb - Slovenia yet.
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #231
edolen1
Monkey business

Make sure you go and see the new Puch Bridge, if you do!
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #232
rimorski

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edolen1 View Post
Nah, Koper is the main port for Slovenia, because of infrastructure and political reasons. It's bigger than the one in Rijeka, AFAIK..
hehehehe that isn't true!!!!
port of Rijeka IS bigger, deeper, has more capacity ofcourse....i mean...don't I have to count it for you? Rijeka: ( Mlaka-Baroš-Delta-Brajdica ) -Bakar-Brščica-Raša-Dina-Omišalj-future expansions at Zagrebacka Obala, Brajdica amd LNG terminal probably in Omisalj. Koper will never be able to even physically reach that.
rimorski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #233
Verso
Islander

^ Koper has more traffic.
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #234
rimorski

Likes (Received): 13

There is nothin wrong if they compete a little now....
Cos traffic through Port Rijeka is rising every month, that is why port needs to be expanded, amd why new double track railway towards Budapest and Wienna will soon be under construction, money for that has been secured.
rimorski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #235
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Could someone tell me why on the picture below Višnja Gora is put above Žužemberk and Krka even though it is closer than the latter two?

P.S. Out of curiosity, Višnja Gora translates as Cherry Mountain or Tall Mountain?
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #236
snupix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
and i'm not sure if i seen pics of the Croatian A2 Zagreb - Slovenia yet.
I think x-type has some plans to change that

Quote:
P.S. Out of curiosity, Višnja Gora translates as Cherry Mountain or Tall Mountain?
Cherry
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #237
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

[off topic]
In Poland and Czechoslovakia (old habits die hard) I could understand ~80% of written text and only 20% of speech. Never been to former Yugoslavia though, but I am wondering how different Slovenian and Croatian dialects are?
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #238
Verso
Islander

If you're having in mind the Slovenian and Croatian LANGUAGES, we understand each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Could someone tell me why on the picture below Višnja Gora is put above Žužemberk and Krka even though it is closer than the latter two?

If you've noticed this on previous photos, such "messy" signs with distances are very common in Slovenia. The thing is that Žužemberk and Krka are in different directions (not here yet, of course) than Višnja Gora (and Ljubljana). I'm not sure if you know where Žužemberk and Krka are, but look at some bigger towns on previous photos, and if they aren't really situated close to the highway we're driving on, they will be listed kinda separately from others, but one by another, that's why also this "mess". You see this often in Germany and elsewhere, "just" that there would be a line drawn between them, so it doesn't look so messy. And possibly also different road numbers written.
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #239
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Maybe the lower three destination exit earlier than Ljubljana. However, i think that there are too many small towns on the distance signs. The rest of signage is good though.
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #240
SouthernEuropean

Likes (Received): 40

very interesting and some amazing photos from the photographers,i liked the Slovenian highways...it's so nice and cool to see other parts of Europe from a passenger's seat

✤WELCOME TO MY CITY PROJECT✤
♔DERMOND♔
SouthernEuropean no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways