daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #2741
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I drove this road in August, and the waiting time at the toll gate in Croatia was longer than crossing the border + drive to the A4 in Ptuj combined.

I'd say it's not really a big deal about this gap, although it would be better if it will be finished soon for traffic safety and driving comfort.

I do think an expressway to the Istrian Y is more important though. Most tourists go there.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #2742
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

Well, Slovenia doesn't need this stretch to be converted to motorway. We will be building it only for Croatia. Now it is half year from opening of A4 (Ptuj-Maribor) and even this section is always empty.

Overpasses on place of existing crossroads should be enough for next decade on unfinished section of A4. It would also increase safety and eliminate speed limits of 60 through intersections.
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #2743
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

it is as empty as Pesnica - Šentilj. and SLO would not built it for HR for god's sake, but for cars in transit
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #2744
pijanec

Pesnica-Šentilj has much more traffic. Missing part of A4 is not needed for transit traffic as none of the villages or people are affected by existing road.
Old December 13th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #2745
x-type
con los terroristas

so are not on A2
Old December 13th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #2746
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, with that kind of attitude, missing links would've been scattered throughout Europe, because there are many motorways that are not absolutely necessary, but we're happy they exist, aren't we? It would be quite annoying if you're on an international trip and have to exit the motorway every time the government thinks it's not important enough to build a motorway for a few kilometers.
Old December 13th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #2747
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I must agree, because else there wouldn't exist motorways such as Torino-Frejus, or to Mont Blanc.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #2748
pijanec

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
so are not on A2
This section has much more traffic, a lot of deadly accidents and is also an important transit area for Slovenians going to work. Also, there are a lot of very important Slovenian companies there which desperately need better infrastructure. None of this apply to G1-9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Well, with that kind of attitude, missing links would've been scattered throughout Europe, because there are many motorways that are not absolutely necessary, but we're happy they exist, aren't we?
I didn't say we wouldn't build it but I said it isn't neccessary a priority because current expressway-type road is not some bad, curvy main road with a lot of traffic which is the case of usual missing gaps in Europe.

I would give a priority to Postojna-Rijeka motorway anytime.

Last edited by pijanec; December 14th, 2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old December 14th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #2749
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijanec View Post
current expressway-type road
that has absolutely nothing with expressway. it is normal low capacity 2 way road with plenty of intersections with limited speed
Old December 14th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #2750
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The definition of Expressway is vague and varies from country to country. Two-lane roads with no median or controlled access can also have expressway status with this sign:

Old December 14th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #2751
x-type
con los terroristas

but it doesn't have controlled access
Old December 14th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #2752
darko06

Likes (Received): 149

OT, but the eastern part of the two-laned "Istrian Y" expressway has a TRAFFIC LIGHTS on Opatija interchange (it's a simple T-shape crossing instead of a regular interchange type).
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #2753
pijanec

I wrote expressway-type. All interchanges were designed as grade-seperated but Yugoslavia ran out of money, so they only built some overpasses, underpasses and some grade seperated junctions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
that has absolutely nothing with expressway. it is normal low capacity 2 way road with plenty of intersections with limited speed
Istrian Y has 80 km/h speed limit half of the time while this road has 90 km/h speed limit. Horizontal and vertical design elements have 120 km/h design speed (except for 500 meters) while Istrian Y does not (plenty of 80 km/h design speed sections, others are mainly 100). Also, Istrian expressway also has special speed limits through intersections (although they are all grade seperated) if I remember correctly.

And it is not low capacity. Last summer proved it has enough capacity for all summer transit traffic. Main bottleneck were villages on Maribor-Ptuj.

Last edited by pijanec; December 14th, 2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #2754
x-type
con los terroristas

istrian y is piece of shit if you ask me, horrible and dangerous road. and it is not 80, it is 90 and 110 (90 between Pazin and Rijeka, 110 rest). it doesn't have interruptions of speed limit because of crossroads, all are multileveled.

i drove 6 times last year at Gruškovje - Ptuj, all 6 times i could drive about 70 km/h most of the time. overtaking was impossible because of opposite direction.

and that designed speed - this is just the same as you would have shell of Ferrari and engine of Yugo inside of it, nothing else.
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #2755
pijanec

I drove Istrian Y in September. I clearly remember 80 and 100 speed limits. I was actually alone on the road for the whole time between Učka to Slovenian border but road seems completely safe to me. Dunno why people can't drive or feel unsafe on 2 lane roads anymore...
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #2756
x-type
con los terroristas

yes, most of the time i was in a row (once pulled by truck, other time there was just too many traffic).
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #2757
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijanec View Post
I drove Istrian Y in September. I clearly remember 80 and 100 speed limits. I was actually alone on the road for the whole time between Učka to Slovenian border but road seems completely safe to me. Dunno why people can't drive or feel unsafe on 2 lane roads anymore...
no, it is road with most horrible accidents in HR and they are quite often. why? because road gives opportunity to drive fast, so people often feel as driving on motorway, and it is still just 2 way road.
you are probably right about 80 and 100 because they haven't changed them onto new rules yet (90 and 110)
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #2758
darko06

Another incredible thing:
On the whole Istrian Y there is reduction in speed on 80 kmh on ALL interchanges. Someone said that Istrian county managed that because of too many drivers with bad driving performances (presumably the senior people who did never drive on a motorway). And the overall speed limit is 100, not 110 kmh (because Y is a two-laned expressway).
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #2759
darko06

Fairly speaking, the current highway Gruškovje-Ptuj has better traffic conditions than the current expressway Matulji-Pazin.
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #2760
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko06 View Post
Fairly speaking, the current highway Gruškovje-Ptuj has better traffic conditions than the current expressway Matulji-Pazin.
why?

Tags
highways, motorways