daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #3281
Interstate275Fla

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I don't know about its price, but there're more and more cases of driving in the wrong direction. Today was approved a new traffic law, which punishes it with 1,200 € (previously 300 €) and loss of driving license (previously 5 penalty points out of 18).
Verso, I am glad that Slovenia is taking the initiative to combat wrong way driving, especially on its motorways. First is the upgrade of safety standards to help prevent wrong way driving by placing sophisticated wrong way signage on the off ramps that face drivers in the wrong direction, then increased penalties for driving the wrong way.

Here in Florida, we have basically the same issue with people driving the wrong way down our interstate highways, especially Interstate 275 in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area. We have signage that lets drivers know if they are going the wrong way at least. However, at certain interchanges there is a sign with flashing red lights much like the wrong way prevention diagram you mentioned earlier.

Perhaps Florida needs to take the initiative from Slovenia and increase penalties for traffic violations such as speeding and driving the wrong way. Currently Florida's penalty for driving the wrong way is $166.00 plus 3 points on your driver's license, compared to Slovenia's $1,575.00 (1,200 Euros at current exchange rate) and loss of driver's license.

By the way, you got great motorways out there - well maintained and signposted.

All photos posted by Interstate275Fla are that of the author unless stated otherwise.
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #3282
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

In my opinion driving wrong way on motorway is an atempt of murder.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #3283
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
1 dead and 3 heavily injured because of another idiot driving in the wrong direction between Ljubljana and Kranj.
bad. is that the newest thing about that?
i asked you about wrong direction driving cause i want to compare it with HR. we didn't have casulties for some time already, although last week news portals wrote again after some time about some fresh samples of wrong direction driving, but i'm afraid it happens each week, but they don't write about it. the most often it happens at southern parts of A1.
Old December 25th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #3284
lafreak84
Free Palestine

Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate275Fla View Post
Currently Florida's penalty for driving the wrong way is $166.00 plus 3 points on your driver's license, compared to Slovenia's $1,575.00 (1,200 Euros at current exchange rate) and loss of driver's license.
You also need to consider average salary in Slovenia which is roughly about $900 vs roughly $30,000 in the US. So yes, we have extremely high traffic penalties.
lafreak84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #3285
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

You're comparing monthly with annual wages
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #3286
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You're comparing monthly with annual wages
Yeah, sorry but that's hilarious!

and comparing it in $ and €

btw - GNI per capita is $23,520
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #3287
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafreak84 View Post
You also need to consider average salary in Slovenia which is roughly about $900
€964.48 = $1,265 (net wage)

http://www.stat.si/eng/index.asp
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #3288
Bad_Hafen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 159

so it is 1265x13 or 12?
Quote:
You also need to consider average salary in Slovenia which is roughly about $900 vs roughly $30,000 in the US. So yes, we have extremely high traffic penalties.
it is really amazing how Americans can be so clueless
Bad_Hafen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #3289
il brutto
Registriran uporabnik

Likes (Received): 1

Slovenes, not Americans
il brutto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #3290
lafreak84
Free Palestine

Likes (Received): 535

Oops my bad, I meant $10,800 vs $30,000.

Verso, those are numbers closest to reality. I deliberately didn't take those 950€ into consideration because it's pure bulls*it. US data also shows average income per person $46,000 but it's only statistics. Shows a lot, reveals nothing. Even so, the gap between 15k vs 46k is even bigger. I just wanted to show how high our penalties are, among highest in Europe, considering living standard.
lafreak84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #3291
keber

Quote:
Oops my bad, I meant $10,800 vs $30,000.
I don't know, how 950€ would be bullshit and then average US salary not?

As I looked around, my gross annual salary as an engineer in Slovenia is comparable to US. And no, I'm neither a boss, even less a director.

Last edited by keber; December 25th, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old December 25th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #3292
keber

And continuing: Why would be an average salary so important at fines for heavy, even deadly traffic offences?
Old December 25th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #3293
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

$1575 for driving the wrong way is definitely over the top. And it doesn't really matter how much is your salary. It seems to be out of proportion with other penalties.

Maybe $166.00 is not a huge fine, but consider how many people start driving the wrong way just by simple confusion or mistake.

And honestly I don't see too many people on the roads here who drive the wrong way anyway. I personally would never be able to afford to pay that large fine.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #3294
kreden

Likes (Received): 589

That and you lose your license, which is another 1000 dollars right there just to get one again.

Then again I fully support it. You have to be either drunk, in some other way mentally impaired or just a plain idiot not to see the ten different signs telling you you're going the wrong way and to turn around when entering a motorway. Or seeing that everyone is driving towards you.
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #3295
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Or you're a suicider.

Quote:
Verso, those are numbers closest to reality. I deliberately didn't take those 950€ into consideration because it's pure bulls*it.
Then you mean median wage, which is of course lower, but last time I saw our statistical office measure median wage was in 2006.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #3296
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilesy View Post
And honestly I don't see too many people on the roads here who drive the wrong way anyway. I personally would never be able to afford to pay that large fine.
How much is the fine for random shooting at people on street? 100$? 200? 1000? No?

Now think, if driving wrong way on motorway, sometimes even for many kilometers/miles is anyhow different. Most accidents that happen because of this have usually heavy consequences, often with fatalities.

And if someone doesn't know or see, how, what, where motorways is, even with large billboards everywhere pointing that out, then I think he/she is not being able to drive safely enough, so he/she should not have driving licence.
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #3297
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

I agree, but moralizing peptalk doesn't change the situation. Furthermore, if people are stupid enough to drive the wrong way on a motorway I don't think it matters if a fine is € 100, € 1000 or € 10000.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #3298
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
How much is the fine for random shooting at people on street? 100$? 200? 1000? No?

Now think, if driving wrong way on motorway, sometimes even for many kilometers/miles is anyhow different. Most accidents that happen because of this have usually heavy consequences, often with fatalities.

And if someone doesn't know or see, how, what, where motorways is, even with large billboards everywhere pointing that out, then I think he/she is not being able to drive safely enough, so he/she should not have driving licence.
I don't have any mercy for idiots who can drive the wrong way for miles. I was mostly talking about people who accidentally got on the wrong side of the road, but immediately turned around.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #3299
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Furthermore, if people are stupid enough to drive the wrong way on a motorway I don't think it matters if a fine is € 100, € 1000 or € 10000.
Most people that do this are or old papas and mamas, too old to be aware of traffic situations (means the don't deserve driving license anymore), very drunk people (they don't deserve driving licence anymore, too) and suiciders (here you really can't help much). What is the correct fine? I don't know, but at least driving licence should be taken, because you don't belong onto road with such grave offences.

In Slovenia you just cant miss correct way on motorway. There are enough big signs to warn you about that and you must be really blind to miss them or you don't know even basic traffic rules. Either way you don't belong onto road.

Now why are in Slovenia such harsh opinions about driving wrong way? There were some quite dramatic accidents involving dead people (innocent), one of most famous from last year, when three young students died, after some drunk bastard driving wrong way crashed into them, going away with only slight injuries.

And last week: again drunk driver driving wrong way crashed into other car with a family, killing one and severly injuring three others. He escaped accident site and went with taxi home without any injury.

There are about 150 accidents every year involving wrong way driving and is getting worse.
Old January 1st, 2011, 06:43 PM   #3300
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Roads of Goriska

I did some driving around interesting spots in my region. Here are some photos:

starting on Sempeter pri Gorici bypass

H4 on the right

Viaduct Lijak

from down

local road