daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 1st, 2011, 07:00 PM   #3301
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

from now on it's Italy, but I will post it here to continue my journey. hope Italian friends won't mind.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.467606&z=12

widening works on Raccordo Vilesse - Gorizia

Soca river

Ikea

going for Triste

smooth A4

airport Ronchi

Italian WW1 memorial

road to Slovenia http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...1,0.02105&z=16

border is really artificial here. villages on both sides all look the same, roads such as above were disconected... even a fire wich took down the trees along this road came from slovenia. there are new trees on the right side of the road.

Pipistrel doing some exercising on Gorizia airport (I guess)

that's all.

Last edited by hofburg; January 1st, 2011 at 07:07 PM.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:44 PM   #3302
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
from now on it's Italy, but I will post it here to continue my journey. hope Italian friends won't mind.

that's all.
Thanks for those nice pictures. Anyway, the WW1-memorial (quite known) in Redipuglia has been the focused destination? Or, just to enjoy Italy and the river Isonzo/Soča a bit? As for the H4.si - the interesting fact is that there is only ITALIA (border) noted as the destination - no city in Italy like Venezia,Udine/Videm etc...
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 08:27 PM   #3303
hofburg
middle lane hogger

there's was no destination, or maybe the Ronchi airport if you will. there are signs with only Italia, or Udine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I miss destination Venice.
old ones from 1996 are usually with only Italia on.
Old January 1st, 2011, 10:23 PM   #3304
Moravian

there's was no destination, or maybe the Ronchi airport if you will. there are signs with only Italia, or Udine.

old ones from 1996 are usually with only Italia on.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that added information. Well, Benétke/Venezia and Videm/Udine - it would be (are) reasonable to be shown on the H4 as the destinations. Trst/Trieste - not so because there is no direct connection, it is reasonable even at the Italian section just before the juction with A4.it.....
It is useful to show the distance to the Italian boarder maybe just in the boarder-section as for the higher distance - it concerns (almost) the duplication if there is (would be) "Nova Gorica" (might be with "I") already.....

The H4 is not the part of the E70 bypassing Trst (motorway connection with Sezana) but it is certainly fully comparative route in comparison with A4.it-A3-A1..and the key motorway connection Italia-Ljubljana...
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:40 PM   #3305
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moravian View Post
The H4 is not the part of the E70 bypassing Trst (motorway connection with Sezana) but it is certainly fully comparative route in comparison with A4.it-A3-A1..and the key motorway connection Italia-Ljubljana...
well H4 is really more like a local expressway; serving Nova Gorica and the rest of Vipava valley. that's why there is no Venice on the signs (IMO), as well as there's no Ljubljana on the signs in Vilesse on italian A4/raccordo Vilesse-Gorizia exit. but it's true that it can be an alternative, that's why the part in Italy is being widened.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 01:45 AM   #3306
Moravian

Quote:
well H4 is really more like a local expressway; serving Nova Gorica and the rest of Vipava valley. that's why there is no Venice on the signs (IMO), as well as there's no Ljubljana on the signs in Vilesse on italian A4/raccordo Vilesse-Gorizia exit. but it's true that it can be an alternative, that's why the part in Italy is being widened.
The fact is that one missing section on the H4 (connecting this expressway to A1) in the past is also the background that the key E70 route goes via Sezane and Trst, and due to that fact the goal No.1 for that expressway was to connect Gorica and Vipava valley to Italian road network.

I would stress some quite important international motorway/expressway connectiong passing just the region "Kras-Gorica-Trst":

1)Ljubljana - Italy (Udine, Venezia....)
2)E70 route
3)The connection Hungary (and Eastern Europe) -Italy (sure the route via Austria and Tarvisio/Trbiž as the main alternative...)
4)The alternative truck-route Wien-Graz/Gradec-Italy (as there is tolled-motorways in Austria, SLO as the member of Schengen-zone)
5)International connection to the Adriatic coast of Croatia (Rijeka, Kvarner...)
6)The location of two important international habour - Trieste/Trst and Koper...

The H4 is already completed and the raccordo at Gorizia is going to be widened. IMO - the last bottleneck there is the connection to Rijeka/Reka:
a)the missing highway/expressway Rupa-Trieste
b)the missing highway/expressway Rupa-Postojna (A1) (a quite similar trouble as the infrastructure bottleneck (Maribor)-Ptuj-MMP Gruškovlje-Macelj).
Old January 2nd, 2011, 02:26 AM   #3307
hofburg
middle lane hogger

true. that's why motorway network is so dense around this corner (Slovenia: A1, A3, H4, H5, H6, Italy: A4, RA13, RA Gorizia, RA Fernetti, and RA Trieste - Skofije (Koper)).

Quote:
a)the missing highway/expressway Rupa-Trieste
link Divaca - Jelsane is planned, however it's not a direct link, but it uses A3 to reach Trieste.

however, motorway connection between three competitive ports was never a priority. Rijeka was traditionaly always more like a 'hungarian' port for Budapest, Trieste was Vienna's port, and Koper appeared as a Trieste replacement for Slovenia after WW2.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 02:35 AM   #3308
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
well H4 is really more like a local expressway; serving Nova Gorica and the rest of Vipava valley. that's why there is no Venice on the signs (IMO)
Not having Venice on signs on H4 is quite ridiculous, if you ask me. A world-famous city just 130 km from the Slovenian border would surely deserve that. As for being a local expressway - to some extent, and signs suggest it as the main route. There's Udine on (blue) signs, and even just to get to Udine you have to drive on the whole Slovenian H4 and Italian RA17, so you can't say there're only destinations written along H4/RA17. Udine is too far away from the Italian A4 and not so many people go in that direction (A23), so Venice is missing IMO. Anyway, thanks for the pics!
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 12:37 PM   #3309
Moravian

Quote:
true. that's why motorway network is so dense around this corner (Slovenia: A1, A3, H4, H5, H6, Italy: A4, RA13, RA Gorizia, RA Fernetti, and RA Trieste - Skofije (Koper)).

link Divaca - Jelsane is planned, however it's not a direct link, but it uses A3 to reach Trieste.

however, motorway connection between three competitive ports was never a priority. Rijeka was traditionaly always more like a 'hungarian' port for Budapest, Trieste was Vienna's port, and Koper appeared as a Trieste replacement for Slovenia after WW2.
You are surely right. Frankly speaking that issue is more about the motorway-connection between Croatia (Rijeka/Kvarner Bay, Adriatic coast) and Italy etc. It would be important for tourist industry etc. The fact is that it is not the top-priority project for Slovenija. As for the missing motorway between Postojna and MMP Jelsane/Rupa (today, the national road No.6) - the motorway to Koper (from Ljubljana) is more important as the motorway to Rijeka...But, I would like to stress, definitely I do not want to open the political issue of SLO/HR relationship...
Old January 2nd, 2011, 12:54 PM   #3310
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

wrong post
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 01:11 PM   #3311
Moravian

Quote:
Not having Venice on signs on H4 is quite ridiculous, if you ask me. A world-famous city just 130 km from the Slovenian border would surely deserve that. As for being a local expressway - to some extent, and signs suggest it as the main route. There's Udine on (blue) signs, and even just to get to Udine you have to drive on the whole Slovenian H4 and Italian RA17, so you can't say there're only destinations written along H4/RA17. Udine is too far away from the Italian A4 and not so many people go in that direction (A23), so Venice is missing IMO. Anyway, thanks for the pics!
Well, I would prefer Venice signed on the H4 as well. Very important city and Mestre as the important junction hub....
The fact is that there is the same issue on the Italian motorways A4 and A23. You leave Mestre (A4/A57...) - there are only Trieste for the A4-direction and Udine for the direction A23 + later on also Tarvisio ("A"-border/confine). No information about the capital city Ljubljana even if it is not so far away or something like that. The fact is if you come from Villach/Tarvision, there is the first sign "Venezia" (Trieste as well) in Udine (A23). In Austria in Villach there are signs for:
a)A2 - Wien (Graz, Klagenfurt) - Vienna directly noted at the I/A boarder
b)A11 - Ljubljana (SLO) via Karawankentunnel
c)A10 - Salzburg (D),
d)A2/A23.it - Udine (I) via Tarvisio.

As for UDINE on the H4 - maybe the direct route via SS56 from Gorizia or Gradisca is calculated.

Anyway - at the juction in Palmanova - before SLO entered Schengen in 12/2007 - there was the signs difference between A and SLO as there were passport controls at the boarder I/SLO. Sure, nowadays that difference is over...
Old January 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM   #3312
Verso
Islander

Quote:
As for UDINE on the H4 - maybe the direct route via SS56 from Gorizia or Gradisca is calculated.
No, surely not, because then the distance would be ~70 km, not 79.

http://maps.google.si/maps?f=d&sourc...3&ie=UTF8&z=10

http://maps.google.si/maps?f=d&sourc...9&ie=UTF8&z=10
Old January 2nd, 2011, 03:15 PM   #3313
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Quote:
Anyway - at the juction in Palmanova - before SLO entered Schengen in 12/2007 - there was the signs difference between A and SLO as there were passport controls at the boarder I/SLO. Sure, nowadays that difference is over...
you have an oval SLO sign at Palmanova and Vilesse. nothing before though.

at palmanova no.1

no.2

vilesse has Nova Gorica signed

good example where Austria put oval SLO mark ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnsteig4 View Post

Province: Upper Austria

Coming from the east on A1. Knoten Voralpenkreuz ("Pre-Alpine interchange") links A1 (Vienna-Salzburg, E-W), A9 (Villach-Voralpenkreuz, S-N) and A8 (Voralpenkreuz-Schärding/Suben, SE-NW).

... and Slovenia.
Trieste appears on A1 Maribor - LJ just before reaching LJ ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
image hosted on flickr
so in both cases more than 100 km before the border, Italy isn't so generous.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 03:53 PM   #3314
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

The last signal is too crowded, hard to read at high speed
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 03:56 PM   #3315
Moravian

[QUOTE=hofburg;69869551]you have an oval SLO sign at Palmanova and Vilesse. nothing before though.

good example where Austria put oval SLO mark ...

... and Slovenia.
Trieste appears on A1 Maribor - LJ just before reaching LJ ring.

Thanks for that up-dated pictures as the evidence. There are different habits for that in Italy. For example "Trieste or Brennero" could be observed on the A23 Piacenza-Brescia but Innsbruck or Munich (D) is signed really closed to the boarder (in Vipiteno....)....As for the capital city in Italy - no information concerning Roma round Venice - only Ravenna, Milano or Bologna, on the A1.it Roma appears near Firenze for the first time. Roma is signed on the alternative route, the expressway Ravenna-Terni. (sorry for that, it is more Italian topic...so full stop there from my side concerning that issue...)

Maybe, the fact is that Italy is significantly larger country like SLO, all boarder and foreign cities are not so far away from Ljubljana, for example...(Zagreb in Sentilj or Ljubljana, Trieste, Villach, Graz in Ljubljana (no information about "H" the fact is that Ljubljana could be noted in Budapest/M7 already - I suppose that Budapest signed on the A4 near Ptuj is the longest distance signed in SLO)

Yes, anyway, the oval SLO mark in Austria is wide "spread out". At the juction Salzburg (anyway "GR and "TR" noted there as well!!!), at the juctions near Wels as well as round Vienna - A22, A23, A21,A1, S1, S2, A4 etc....
Old January 2nd, 2011, 04:41 PM   #3316
Verso
Islander

Quote:
At the juction Salzburg (anyway "GR and "TR" noted there as well!!!)
Not for some time. Not my photo.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 05:08 PM   #3317
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Not for some time. Not my photo.
Whose photo?

Anyway, this sign (not my photo ) shows GR and TR coming from the A1 from direction Linz.

Last edited by Palance; January 2nd, 2011 at 05:19 PM.
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 05:34 PM   #3318
Verso
Islander

Right, it's your photo. They still have GR and TR from Linz? How come?
Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:02 PM   #3319
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
The last signal is too crowded, hard to read at high speed
they put 100 limit sign to make drivers read everything there are a lot of names indeed.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:59 PM   #3320
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Yeah, we like to copy Austrian style of crowdedness. But not too much.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways