daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:06 PM   #3321
3naranze

Likes (Received): 2

btw Gorizia-Nova Goriza, I've found this video. It regards, I guess, the particularity of 402 road between isonzo-soca river and Podsabotin: some part of the track is in Italy but available only by slovenians, there are huge fences on both side. I'm sorry, only italian audio (the driver and her fellow are dazed, probably. you didn't miss much!)

3naranze no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:52 PM   #3322
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moravian View Post
Well, I would prefer Venice signed on the H4 as well. Very important city and Mestre as the important junction hub....
The fact is that there is the same issue on the Italian motorways A4 and A23. You leave Mestre (A4/A57...) - there are only Trieste for the A4-direction and Udine for the direction A23 + later on also Tarvisio ("A"-border/confine). No information about the capital city Ljubljana even if it is not so far away or something like that.
Usually Italian signs only show the village nearest to the border (sometimes the one in italy, sometimes not): A9 Chiasso, A22 Brennero, A23 Tarvisio, ...

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:52 PM   #3323
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
btw Gorizia-Nova Goriza, I've found this video.
lol this video is so funny so I will watch all of their videos
the girl said: "strada italiana in teritorio sloveno" haha

edit: I won't

Last edited by hofburg; January 2nd, 2011 at 11:10 PM.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:42 PM   #3324
mmmartin

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
The last signal is too crowded, hard to read at high speed
I don't want to brag, but I've never had problems reading the specific Slovenian and Austrian signage. Nor do most of the drivers. But occasionally one can see Italian drivers stopping in front of that signs and checking where the hell they are.
Old January 4th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #3325
kreden

Likes (Received): 589

I don't think it's too bad either, it gets repeated a few times so you can make sure you're going the right way, plus if you do go the wrong way it doesn't matter much, at the very worst your journey will be 10 kilometres longer going the other side of the motorway ring.
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #3326
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmartin View Post
I don't want to brag, but I've never had problems reading the specific Slovenian and Austrian signage. Nor do most of the drivers. But occasionally one can see Italian drivers stopping in front of that signs and checking where the hell they are.
Because we are used to rationality, and irrationality makes us uncomfortable..

No, seriously, signs should not level to the high-speed reading folks, but to the low-speed ones... they're the ones that can cause troubles...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #3327
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I also agree with you, this is maybe also because of the fact, that Slovenia is really small, so to make it somehow larger, you put some additional places onto signs.

At least at this photo there should be without last two places on blue sign, which represent the same exit (which is also the next exit).
image hosted on flickr

Although this from Italian A1 at Firenze is not much better:

I'm also very fast reader (even too fast) but still I had some trouble finding right directions here on Austrian A2 before Vienna:

I think, that Slovenian signage is still much better and clearer than Austrian despite similar amount of directions on one sign.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #3328
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
At least at this photo there should be without last two places on blue sign, which represent the same exit (which is also the next exit).
Many trucks go to the industrial zone Moste (next exit), so I think it's good that it's there. OTOH, cars aren't interested in ind. zones, but Nove Jarše (the same exit). Ljubljana-sever (north) is also good information (same as Ljubljana-vzhod (east) on the green sign).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #3329
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
I think, that Slovenian signage is still much better and clearer than Austrian despite similar amount of directions on one sign.
Definitely.

The only downside of the Slovenian signage is that it is sometimes overloaded with destinations, but other than that it is very good. Austrian signage has various issues, like font type, various font sizes, spacing, number of objects, colors, etc.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #3330
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
lol this video is so funny so I will watch all of their videos
the girl said: "strada italiana in teritorio sloveno" haha

edit: I won't
Do people speak Italian in that region? Is there signage also in Italian then?
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #3331
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Many people speak Italian because of influence of Italian proximity, but otherwise there is no signage in Italian.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #3332
seem
Mornar bez mora

Quote:
Many people speak Italian because of influence of Italian proximity, but otherwise there is no signage in Italian.
Even Slovenian is influenced by Italian so much. It is harder for me to understand it than Croatian. Aslo you have what I call "singing" or "Italian accent".

Btw do you use Slovenian names on signage?
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:29 AM   #3333
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ What do you mean? If Italian towns are signed in Slovenian? It's both: Trst/Trieste, Videm/Udine, Gorica/Gorizia, Trbiž/Tarvisio, Benetke/Venezia
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #3334
mmmartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Even Slovenian is influenced by Italian so much. It is harder for me to understand it than Croatian. Aslo you have what I call "singing" or "Italian accent".

Btw do you use Slovenian names on signage?
Standard Slovenian is not influenced by Italian at all. But in border regions the dialects are influenced, in both ways, also Italian local dialect "bisiaco" uses some Slovenian words.

For Slovenian places we use Slovenian names, for Italian in the signage both.
Old January 5th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #3335
mmmartin

Quote:
image hosted on flickr
It's actually double exit. On the ramp you have 1st traffic light for IC Moste and the 2nd one for N. Jarše.
Old January 5th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #3336
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
i think you couldn't understand a single word from any Croat who lives in any of these areas
Old January 5th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #3337
seem
Mornar bez mora

So that's what I wanted to ask later thanks, so u use both of them for foreign town (we use just foreign names) and just Slovenian for Slovenian towns where are also Italians (the same in Slovakia). In Istria they use also Italian so that's what I wanted to ask then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i think you couldn't understand a single word from any Croat who lives in any of these areas
I do. I know just one Croatian person from another area than one of these (Osijek). I go there every year and we even have frieds there. You know it is not like when u speak in your native language but u can understand, even after so many years.
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #3338
mmmartin

Quote:
so u use both of them for foreign town (we use just foreign names) and just Slovenian for Slovenian towns where are also Italians (the same in Slovakia). In Istria they use also Italian so that's what I wanted to ask then.
Native (terminus technicus: autochthon) Italians don't live in Slovenia around Nova Gorica or in central Slovenia. They only live on Slovenian coast in Istria, there we use both Slovenian and Italian names on all! signage.
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #3339
seem
Mornar bez mora

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmartin View Post
Native (terminus technicus: autochthon) Italians don't live in Slovenia around Nova Gorica or in central Slovenia. They only live on Slovenian coast in Istria, there we use both Slovenian and Italian names on all! signage.
Ok, I see. I haven't be in Slovenia for 2 years and and even have never spent there a single night so I didn't know.

We use both names just on these signs (this one is a bit wrong) - http://blog.sme.sk/blog/115/194281/senec-4.jpg
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #3340
il brutto
Registriran uporabnik

In Slovene Istra we also use bilingual signs for Slovene and Croatian places in that area - Koper/Capodistria, Izola/Isola, Umag/Umago etc (or trilingual: Pulj/Pula/Pola), elsewhere just Slovene name as you can see on pics above - only Koper in Ljubljana.
il brutto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways