daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #321
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
^ Oh that; I have no idea why they are lighter than driving lanes! I've also noticed it, and I'd also like them to be black (the same as driving lanes; when new, of course), no idea!
don´t worry, on some bulgarian motorways they also did that, BUT not on the Struma motorway!!!
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2007, 01:21 AM   #322
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

I actually like the different couloring between the driving lanes and the emergency lane.
It makes the distinction between the 2 more clear, so it's good.
Old July 1st, 2007, 01:24 AM   #323
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19428

Quote:
^ Oh that; I have no idea why they are lighter than driving lanes! I've also noticed it, and I'd also like them to be black (the same as driving lanes; when new, of course), no idea!
Because when you repave the motorway, you don't need to repave the emergency lane, because it's not used by regular traffic.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 01:51 AM   #324
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto View Post
I actually like the different couloring between the driving lanes and the emergency lane.
It makes the distinction between the 2 more clear, so it's good.

i have noticed this mostly on new motorways, not old ones
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 02:12 AM   #325
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Because when you repave the motorway, you don't need to repave the emergency lane, because it's not used by regular traffic.
What do you mean? You'd have to repave it, if it was 'colored' the same as driving lanes? I'm not into pavement, but I guess what you're saying is, that they are separated, and when they aren't, it's kinda impossible to repave just part of the pavement?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 02:21 AM   #326
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Maybe they only repaved the driving lanes, instead of including the emergency lane. But that's just a theory. It's also possible that they use inferior pavement for the shoulder, because normally there ain't traffic on it. It's a way to save money.
Old July 1st, 2007, 02:35 AM   #327
Verso
Islander

Has to be the latter (as far as Slovenia is concerned). Here we can clearly see the difference on Slovenia's NEWEST motorway (about 1 year old; I know, old for being the newest ):

Old July 1st, 2007, 02:52 AM   #328
radi6404

Quote:
Has to be the latter (as far as Slovenia is concerned). Here we can clearly see the difference on Slovenia's NEWEST motorway (about 1 year old; I know, old for being the newest ):

Yes, it´s a way to save money, at least the crashbarriers are shiny.
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:00 AM   #329
vid

Likes (Received): 921

It also distinguishes the driving surface from the shoulder. You'd be surprised at how often solid white lines confuse idiot drivers.
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:13 AM   #330
Verso
Islander

If it saves money, I think it's good; I mean, who needs that lane anyway? I've even seen (in poorer countries) gravel emergency lanes, which do just fine in case you need to stop over, but it can be very dangerous in case you (unintentionally) find yourself there by high speed for whatever reason. Not to mention the claustrophobic feeling..

Last edited by Verso; July 1st, 2007 at 03:34 AM.
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:18 AM   #331
radi6404

Quote:
If it saves money, I think it's good; I mean, who needs that lane anyway? I've even seen (in poorer countries) gravel emergeny lanes, which do just fine in case you need to stop over, but it can be very dangerous in case you (unintentionally) find yourself there by high speed for whatever reason. Not to mention the claustrophobic feeling..
If you think that way yes, but if you think of the design of the motorway i think they have to be black also. I think new motorways must look impresive.
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:30 AM   #332
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
If you think that way yes, but if you think of the design of the motorway i think they have to be black also. I think new motorways must look impresive.
If you think of the design of the motorway i think they have to be black also?? What does that mean? There's obviously nothing in the parameters for building motorways that states that the emergency lanes have to be as black as the driving lanes.
A new motorway must do it's job providing a safe and fast ride... not look impressive.
And personally, as I've refered, I prefer the diferent colours between the driving lanes and the emergency lane. I think it look mor impressive.

The pavement on the emergency lane (shoulders) obviously doesn't have to be as thick as in the driving lanes. There would be no point in being as thick, besides wasting money.
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:31 AM   #333
Verso
Islander

Black asphalt gets grey with time anyway.
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:33 AM   #334
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto View Post
The pavement on the emergency lane (shoulders) obviously doesn't have to be as thick as in the driving lanes. There would be no point in being as thick, besides wasting money.
Yes, radi, some of this money is from EU, it can be better spent in Bulgaria!
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:34 AM   #335
radi6404

Quote:
The black asphalt gets grey with time anyway.
In bulgaria they rehabilitated the E79 two lamed highway to greece six years ago and the asphalt is stil as black as it was at the beginning, i can show pics if i find, i wonder myself how the asphalt losts so long keeping black.
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:36 AM   #336
radi6404

Quote:
Yes, radi, some of this money is from EU, it can be better spent in Bulgaria!
I don´t think it costs the world, and people in bulgaria want their new motorways to look impressive as they have waited soo long for them.
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:37 AM   #337
Verso
Islander

Please show those pics, I'd like to see that miracle, 6 years black, sounds impossible! In the Bulgarian thread, of course.
Old July 1st, 2007, 08:46 AM   #338
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Damn those shiny crash barriers already!

Why should crash barriers be shiny anyway? I think for the increased safety they should be painted in black and white. And what's the deal with being impressive? A good motorway should be well designed, have a decent pavement and clear durable marking (preferably German) - that's all as far as I am concerned. I would be more than happy if in Russia they build more motorways, even if they all will be ugly concrete. As for Bulgaria, they are doing way better than Russia, but still a lot of corruption exists that prevents even faster development.

P.S. Sorry for hijacking this topic.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 01:45 PM   #339
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Damn those shiny crash barriers already!

Why should crash barriers be shiny anyway? I think for the increased safety they should be painted in black and white. And what's the deal with being impressive? A good motorway should be well designed, have a decent pavement and clear durable marking (preferably German) - that's all as far as I am concerned. I would be more than happy if in Russia they build more motorways, even if they all will be ugly concrete. As for Bulgaria, they are doing way better than Russia, but still a lot of corruption exists that prevents even faster development.

P.S. Sorry for hijacking this topic.
I like when motorways look impressive, with what can a country better show it´s social state (or maybe not) than with roads, good roads always give you the feeling you are in a modern country, old bad looking roads give you the you are in a rather poor country.
Old July 1st, 2007, 02:28 PM   #340
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
In bulgaria they rehabilitated the E79 two lamed highway to greece six years ago and the asphalt is stil as black as it was at the beginning, i can show pics if i find, i wonder myself how the asphalt losts so long keeping black.
Oh that can lasts decades before it turns grey. The E79 can't be that busy.

Tags
highways, motorways