daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM   #3561
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Dars would like to see that revenue, but it goes to other purposes.

Still, if you pay in 8 days after getting caught without sticker, you pay just 150 €. Most do that, obviusly.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2011, 06:24 PM   #3562
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i really don't understand some people friving without stickers and passing the border. almost each time i see somebody arguing with officers for not having sticker at Bregana, and they knew that at border crossing there will be control!
Old July 1st, 2011, 06:34 PM   #3563
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Yes, apparently most offenders are caught in the region of Koper, that would be H5 vignette evaders. There is a toll free alternate route available though, there is even a German instructional video of it:

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 08:29 PM   #3564
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i really don't understand some people friving without stickers and passing the border. almost each time i see somebody arguing with officers for not having sticker at Bregana, and they knew that at border crossing there will be control!
Maybe they think it will be possible to buy it at the border without fine, which would also be logical. Or maybe that's already the case? I don't even know.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 08:39 PM   #3565
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Well, I think that requiring a sticker right at the border when it's the motorway crossing is just unethical. A country requiring vignettes can't just assume that the neighboring country will sell them, they should make it possible for the driver to conviniently buy it on their own soil.

What I mean is that the motorways should be toll-free until first exit or better - until first petrol station.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 09:00 PM   #3566
Verso
Islander

Or selling them at the border without fine.
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:06 PM   #3567
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
Well, I think that requiring a sticker right at the border when it's the motorway crossing is just unethical. A country requiring vignettes can't just assume that the neighboring country will sell them, they should make it possible for the driver to conviniently buy it on their own soil.

What I mean is that the motorways should be toll-free until first exit or better - until first petrol station.
Slovenians ar very fair in that. i have never seen sticker check just after border, and i bought it many times at first service area after border (ok, thats maybe 1 km after border, but anyway). but while you are going out of Slovenia, there is 90% chance that you'll be controlled and that's ok.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:13 AM   #3568
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

lol what an effort to evade vignette. for some 5 € of difference, if you are driving back within a week it's even more economical.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:18 AM   #3569
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Many tourists will visit Croatia longer than 1 week. It's not that bad to avoid 10 kilometer of motorway twice to save € 30. Because, admit it, those few kilometers of H5 around Koper are not really worth € 15-30 if you just drive there once or twice.

Of course, if you're traveling towards Austria, you might as well drive via Ljubljana, but the downside are the additional tolls for the Karawanken Tunnel, which means that the route via Italy is still cheaper. Of course, I wouldn't bother too much about a few €€€ more or less on a 3-week vacation, but a lot of people do.

It could be an idea to introduce an € 2, 1-day corridor vignette for the H5 expressway, similar to what they have in western Austria (A14 around Bregenz). I don't think it's weird tourists who drive to Istria see the Slovenian vignette as a rip-off.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:47 AM   #3570
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

ok I forgot about karavanke tunnel.

but, isn't Switzerland doing the same thing? or Austria with additional toll on tunnels on A10 which is cleary a transit motorway. It's the only 'power' that small countries have, to make them look bigger. but I agree it's a rip off for such short distances.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:19 AM   #3571
Verso
Islander

Naughty USA - United States of Alps.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:35 AM   #3572
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Switzerland has indeed the same thing, but the difference is Switzerland does not have really short transit routes like Slovenia (or Austria). The most common tourist transit route is Basel - Chiasso, which is some € 30 back and forth. You'll pay more than that on a French Autoroute, and the routes via Austria are not necessarily cheaper (vignette + sondermaut across the Brenner route back and forth is more expensive than 1 Swiss vignette).

What I always found a bit of a rip-off is that you need a vignette for both your car and a caravan / trailer. Do you need a separate vignette in Slovenia for a caravan?
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:38 PM   #3573
Verso
Islander

I seriously doubt about that. Which country has that??
Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:10 PM   #3574
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Switzerland.

Quote:
All motor vehicles and trailers up to a total weight of 3.5 tonnes which use first- or second-class national roads are subject to this tax.
http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_pri...x.html?lang=en
Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:18 PM   #3575
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's true. But if you go through Swiss a lot, it's well wort it. I never go through Swiss when I'm loaded. Too much hassle with customs clearance, so I either use Brenner or Mont Blanc / Frejus - depending where I'm going. When I'm empty and I'm not going home to Mayrhofen, I use the A2 Chiasso, San Gotthard, Basel.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:19 PM   #3576
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
The same thing is in Slovakia since one year. The vignette must be stick on the vehicle that tows the trailer, so if you use the trailer with another car, you have to buy a new vignette.
Old July 4th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #3577
keber

Quote:
Yes, apparently most offenders are caught in the region of Koper, that would be H5 vignette evaders. There is a toll free alternate route available though, there is even a German instructional video of it:

First part of video is wrong, you actually need vignette through former border check building, although there usually aren't any toll checks (there are often on other side.

And second thing, there is much easier route going parallel port of Koper into Koper (opened from last autumn), only 1 km longer than that on video:
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Sp...via=1&t=h&z=14
Old July 4th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #3578
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
First part of video is wrong, you actually need vignette through former border check building
The vignette sign (and the expressway sign) starts after the border crossing, when you can still leave the main road (0:52).

Btw, speed limit on expressways is now 110 km/h, right?
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #3579
mmmartin

Likes (Received): 1

Right.
Old July 6th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #3580
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
The vignette sign (and the expressway sign) starts after the border crossing, when you can still leave the main road (0:52)
You need to get back too.

Tags
highways, motorways