daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2007, 02:42 PM   #341
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Oh that can lasts decades before it turns grey. The E79 can't be that busy.
It has 20 000 cars a day.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2007, 02:55 PM   #342
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

yeah, that's nothing.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:09 PM   #343
radi6404

Quote:
yeah, that's nothing.
I still find it great that it is so black.
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:45 PM   #344
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I'm surprised, that in those threads there are almost no civil engineers.

Asphalt on emergency lanes is inferior in quality than on traffic lanes, usually to save cost and on the other hand it is also not needed. Upper layer of asphalt on motorway traffic lanes has the best quality and stays more or less the same color the whole life of motorway (before next repavement). This is because it has a lot of traffic, and vehicles leave tire parts on asphalt which shield asphalt from destructive UV rays.
Because there's no traffic on emergency lanes, there's no need to put expensive asphalt layer there. Also soon after opening it loses dark gray color ant turns light gray. Exact color of asphalt depends on used stone aggregate (which is peculiar to one country/region) and bitumen sort.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:55 PM   #345
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In Belgium, they are considering putting concrete on the right lane (because of the heavy truck traffic), and ordinary asphalt on the left lane(s). Concrete has a much longer durability, and with asphalt you get heavy track-formation when there is a lot of truck traffic (and believe me, in Belgium there is a LOT of truck traffic).
Old July 1st, 2007, 04:03 PM   #346
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Be happy anyone is looking at this subforum; before you could see one or two members looking at the same time.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 04:04 PM   #347
radi6404

Quote:

Asphalt on emergency lanes is inferior in quality than on traffic lanes, usually to save cost and on the other hand it is also not needed. Upper layer of asphalt on motorway traffic lanes has the best quality and stays more or less the same color the whole life of motorway (before next repavement). This is because it has a lot of traffic, and vehicles leave tire parts on asphalt which shield asphalt from destructive UV rays.
Because there's no traffic on emergency lanes, there's no need to put expensive asphalt layer there. Also soon after opening it loses dark gray color ant turns light gray. Exact color of asphalt depends on used stone aggregate (which is peculiar to one country/region) and bitumen sort.
it´s nto needed but fact is that it looks better so i am lucky to see when they make it the same color than the rest of the motorway, on the new German A94 they made it the same color than the rest of the motorway. I said it because i don´t want always mention the Struma motorway.
Old July 1st, 2007, 04:07 PM   #348
keber

On some newer motorway ascents, there is third lane in concrete. Not all, because there are clearly too few design standards, so decision how new motorway will look and be built stands mostly in hands of different projective companies.

But it's not wise to put one lane in concrete and other in asphalt the whole way over motorway. Materials are too different and deformations wouldn't be equal, which would lead to deteriorating asphalt lane much sooner than otherwise.
Old July 1st, 2007, 04:15 PM   #349
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
But it's not wise to put one lane in concrete and other in asphalt the whole way over motorway. Materials are too different and deformations wouldn't be equal, which would lead to deteriorating asphalt lane much sooner than otherwise.
Exactly my thoughts, but this is what Belgium considers. (source: inside information from Dutch autosnelwegen forum).
Old July 1st, 2007, 04:30 PM   #350
keber

Belgians should check here. Even after only few years after opening, different deformations on asphalt-concrete contact are clearly noticeable.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 01:21 AM   #351
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
I'm getting close to being one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404
it´s nto needed but fact is that it looks better so i am lucky to see when they make it the same color than the rest of the motorway, on the new German A94 they made it the same color than the rest of the motorway. I said it because i don´t want always mention the Struma motorway.

That doesn't have to do with the thickness of the pavement. In that german motorway (as in the Struma motorway) the pavement isn't as thick in the emergency lanes as in the driving lanes (just like in the rest of the world's roads).

Here in Portugal for example you don't notice any change in colour between the driving lanes and the mergency lane. Example:

What is used in here (and I guess that in the majority of roads in the rest of the world) is that the upper layer (the most expensive) covers all the road (including driving lanes and emergency lane), but the lower layers (that give the necessary strength to the pavement) aren't prolonged all the way into the emergency lanes. So the pavement in the emergency lanes doesn't have all the lower lanes that are needed for the driving lanes pavements.

You can see in theis photo of this brand new spanish motorway that the upper part of the pavement (one obviously can't see how are the lower layers) is the same in the driving lanes and emergency lane, as there's no visible distinction between driving lanes and emergency lane, apart from the painting marking the lanes):

As for the different couloring, either it's because a diferent upper layer is used (which appear to be the case in those Slovenian motorways) or it's just because vehicles leave tire parts on asphalt which shield asphalt from destructive UV rays, like keber said. And, like he said, that will vary from pavement to pavement.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:19 PM   #352
radi6404

The motorway pics you showed are very good, very impressive new motorways. The crashbarriers of the second pic of the Spanish motorway are almost the same as on the Struma, the Struma motorway oens are just a bit bigger.

Last edited by radi6404; July 2nd, 2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:40 AM   #353
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Someone has got a fetish for crash barriers I don't even want to ask you what you think of American motorways that often don't have any crash barriers at all.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:01 PM   #354
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Lanes in rural US regions are generally far apart. In Europe, they don't want to take so much space. And European rural motorways are generally much busier than US rural interstates.
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #355
ChrisZwolle
Road user

i bought a SLO/HR/BIH road Atlas from Marco Polo. The first time i saw a road atlas of this region, i immediatly bought it. It's quite detailed and up to date. I also got one from Poland.
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #356
Verso
Islander

^ Great.
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #357
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I hate maps, they're impractical and get ripped in mutiple pieces often. Especially when you are using it in your car, or even worse, when your girlfriend is touching it.

I prefer road atlases instead. Especially spiral bindings.
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #358
radi6404

Quote:
I hate maps, they're impractical and get ripped in mutiple pieces often. Especially when you are using it in your car, or even worse, when your girlfriend is touching it.

I prefer road atlases instead. Especially spiral bindings.
Me too, but i prefer navigation the most :p .
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #359
ChrisZwolle
Road user

navigation makes people lazy and dumb. Nothing beats some good (map) knowledge. I can drive all the way to München without checking any map
Old July 4th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #360
Verso
Islander

^ And then? You haven't heard of Salzburg or Innsbruck yet?

Quote:
Chris, you don't need your own smilie, SSC has it already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
Me too, but i prefer navigation the most :p .
:d

Btw, I like maps more than atlases, cuz you have a country in one piece, but atlases are indeed much more practical, and don't get torn.

Tags
highways, motorways