daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 2nd, 2012, 01:31 PM   #4121
hofburg
middle lane hogger
 
hofburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Gorica
Posts: 3,270
Likes (Received): 464

some pics of actual strong wind conditions in Vipava valley:

http://www.siol.net/novice/lokalne_n...prte_sole.aspx
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2012, 03:23 PM   #4122
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

Really A5 was built without hard shoulders and 110kph speed limit? It's the main route between Slovenia/Italy/France/Spain towards Hungary and Romania. Why build a substandard motorway in 2000s with the possibly need to upgrade it in the next decades? We (western Europeans) already made those mistanes in the 60s\70s. Build a motorway with hard shoulders is cheaper than upgrade it latter, expecially if there are many bridges, viaducts, tunnels or if the area is urbanized.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 03:49 PM   #4123
Attus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rheinbach
Posts: 2,773
Likes (Received): 1039

Note that the Hungarian counterpart of A5, M70 is a 2×1 expressway. However, traffic amount is quite low, AADT 8,500.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 03:59 PM   #4124
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Note that the Hungarian counterpart of A5, M70 is a 2×1 expressway. However, traffic amount is quite low, AADT 8,500.
So, there isn't a continuous motorway from Italy to Hungary? Is the 2 lane Hungarian expressway planned to became motorway?
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:08 PM   #4125
bogdymol
bogdymod
 
bogdymol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
So, there isn't a continuous motorway from Italy to Hungary? Is the 2 lane Hungarian expressway planned to became motorway?
Yes, there is, but not on that route. A5 in Slovenia si without hard shoulder and M70 in Hungary is half profile on most of it.

If you want to drive from Italy to Hungary only on motorways you can go through Austria (Wien - A2+A4) or through Slovenia (A1 + A2) and Croatia (A3 + A4).
__________________
Lived, Been, Drove in: A B BG BiH CH CZ D DK E F FIN FL GBZ GR H HR I IRL L M MNE P PL RO RSM S SK SLO SRB UK V
+ Australia, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, United Arab Emirates & United States of America
my clinched highways
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:49 PM   #4126
keber
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 9,881
Likes (Received): 1365

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Really A5 was built without hard shoulders and 110kph speed limit? It's the main route between Slovenia/Italy/France/Spain towards Hungary and Romania. Why build a substandard motorway in 2000s with the possibly need to upgrade it in the next decades? We (western Europeans) already made those mistanes in the 60s\70s. Build a motorway with hard shoulders is cheaper than upgrade it latter, expecially if there are many bridges, viaducts, tunnels or if the area is urbanized.
I agree with you, but this motorway was rushed at construction so it was decided that motorway doesn't get hard shoulders in the beginning to speed up construction. It was rushed because there were too many accidents (with many deaths) on old main road which goes through many towns and villages.
Therefore even some repairs are already needed because it was rushed too much (geology of the area, especially hilly part, is pretty demanding).

AADT is around 20-25.000 just in the beginning where there is actually a hard shoulder. After Lenart it drops to around 16.000 and after Murska Sobota it drops to mere 11.000 or less.

I presume hard shoulders will be added when more serious reconstructions of pavement will be needed. It is also important to know that quite some transit traffic to Hungary, Bulgaria and Romania will be diverted over A2 when Croatia enters EU and Schengen (and later Serbia).
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:53 PM   #4127
Falusi
hanzi13
 
Falusi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Taksony/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 632
Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
So, there isn't a continuous motorway from Italy to Hungary? Is the 2 lane Hungarian expressway planned to became motorway?
M70 is only 22 km long and it has 2x1 lanes only on 10 km, the rest is 2x2. It's planned to upgrade it but in the far future, maybe 10 years or so. (The traffic doesn't really require it)
__________________
It's Not a Bug, It's a Feature!

Highways clinched by me
A AND BIH C CH CZ D E F FL GR H HKJ HR I MC MK RO PL SK SLO SRB T UAE
doing MSc in Mechanical Engineering
Falusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:06 PM   #4128
darko06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 775
Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
I agree with you, but this motorway was rushed at construction so it was decided that motorway doesn't get hard shoulders in the beginning to speed up construction. It was rushed because there were too many accidents (with many deaths) on old main road which goes through many towns and villages.
Therefore even some repairs are already needed because it was rushed too much (geology of the area, especially hilly part, is pretty demanding).

AADT is around 20-25.000 just in the beginning where there is actually a hard shoulder. After Lenart it drops to around 16.000 and after Murska Sobota it drops to mere 11.000 or less.

I presume hard shoulders will be added when more serious reconstructions of pavement will be needed. It is also important to know that quite some transit traffic to Hungary, Bulgaria and Romania will be diverted over A2 when Croatia enters EU and Schengen (and later Serbia).
Croatia will enter EU on July 1st, 2013. From that date driving cargo from Italy to Romania through Croatia will be free of control. I assume that drivers will have to show ID (not necessary the passport), on EU EEA CH lanes. Entering Croatia in Schengen area will be presumably in the year 2016.
Interestingly, there is more Bulgarian (even some Romanian) trucks and cars on A2 from Ljubljana to Obrežje and then on Croatian A3 from Bregana to Ivanja Reka this year.

Last edited by darko06; February 2nd, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:10 PM   #4129
bogdymol
bogdymod
 
bogdymol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,187

Here are some pictures from Slovenian A1 and A5 motorways I took last September on the route I took from Austrian border to Hungarian border (map). I crossed your entire country without even stopping a second

Entering Slovenia from Austria at A9/A1 border crossing:



Casino at the first exit after the border?



Yep, there is casino aaaand cabaret





Former toll booths ahead:





Small cars pass without stopping since they have the vignette. Trucks and buses go on the right for the toll payment:



Next exit: Maribor



A1 / A5 interchange ahead:

__________________
Lived, Been, Drove in: A B BG BiH CH CZ D DK E F FIN FL GBZ GR H HR I IRL L M MNE P PL RO RSM S SK SLO SRB UK V
+ Australia, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, United Arab Emirates & United States of America
my clinched highways
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:13 PM   #4130
bogdymol
bogdymod
 
bogdymol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,187

Taking the exit to A5 in direction Budapest:



A1 viaduct at the interchange:



On A5:



It's a beautiful motorway even though it's without hard shoulders:



Nice overpass. Is this for animal crossing?



Budimpesta sounds funny



Tunnel:



__________________
Lived, Been, Drove in: A B BG BiH CH CZ D DK E F FIN FL GBZ GR H HR I IRL L M MNE P PL RO RSM S SK SLO SRB UK V
+ Australia, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, United Arab Emirates & United States of America
my clinched highways
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:16 PM   #4131
bogdymol
bogdymod
 
bogdymol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,187

I think I asked before (and maybe someone answered but I can't remember)... what's that red sign?



A newer toll station with separate lanes designed for cars to pass at higher speeds (if you can consider 60 km/h as a high speed):



What's this? That bird was walking from one side to the other of the electronic sign.







A5 motorway / H7 expressway interchange:



Budapest ahead...

__________________
Lived, Been, Drove in: A B BG BiH CH CZ D DK E F FIN FL GBZ GR H HR I IRL L M MNE P PL RO RSM S SK SLO SRB UK V
+ Australia, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, United Arab Emirates & United States of America
my clinched highways
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:25 PM   #4132
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,631
Likes (Received): 19428

Quote:
What's this? That bird was walking from one side to the other of the electronic sign.
Longest bridge of Slovenia.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:31 PM   #4133
bogdymol
bogdymod
 
bogdymol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Longest bridge of Slovenia.
Now explain the walking bird
__________________
Lived, Been, Drove in: A B BG BiH CH CZ D DK E F FIN FL GBZ GR H HR I IRL L M MNE P PL RO RSM S SK SLO SRB UK V
+ Australia, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, United Arab Emirates & United States of America
my clinched highways
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:46 PM   #4134
hofburg
middle lane hogger
 
hofburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Gorica
Posts: 3,270
Likes (Received): 464

the bird is white stork, it's the symbol of the region Prekmurje (Prekmurje begins after the river Mura, with this bridge).
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:02 AM   #4135
il brutto
Registriran uporabnik
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 925
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I think I asked before (and maybe someone answered but I can't remember)... what's that red sign?
A few metres further on there's a red painted section of crash barriers that can be easily removed if necessary (@ 3:27 in your video)
il brutto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:40 AM   #4136
geor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Osijek-Croatia
Posts: 657
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
some pics of actual strong wind conditions in Vipava valley:
We have similar situations on our roads in winter s. and the same winds; Bura & jugo. One of the pic.



Fortunately, this year there is not recorded HGV overturning.
Here you are parametars in tables from Slovenia and Croatia:
DARS



According to Slo parametars i am surprised that you have such a few overturning each year.
This is UK parametars for MW:

Last edited by geor; February 12th, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
geor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #4137
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,090
Likes (Received): 4752

Where to go?


http://www.rtvslo.si/okolje/foto-vid...v-skode/276597
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #4138
hofburg
middle lane hogger
 
hofburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Gorica
Posts: 3,270
Likes (Received): 464

http://maps.google.si/maps?saddr=45....sz=17&t=m&z=17
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #4139
keber
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 9,881
Likes (Received): 1365

Parts of H4 are being closed temporarily for all traffic already for several days. But only for shorter periods of time. For example, gusts on H4 reach currently up to 150 km/h, but expressway is not closed for personal cars.

A1 was closed already several times this week but not on highest point above valley on Črni Kal viaduct (around 100 m above ground) as it was built with strong wind barriers.


A bit higher up, (which is against predictions done when planning this motorway) is the most problematic 2 km long Kastelec tunnel which lies in direction of bora gusts and is therefore closed as I write that (but just in the direction of Ljubljana because of contra-wind).
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #4140
geor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Osijek-Croatia
Posts: 657
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Parts of H4 are being closed temporarily for all traffic already for several days. But only for shorter periods of time. For example, gusts on H4 reach currently up to 150 km/h, but expressway is not closed for personal cars.

A1 was closed already several times this week but not on highest point above valley on Črni Kal viaduct (around 100 m above ground) as it was built with strong wind barriers.


A bit higher up, (which is against predictions done when planning this motorway) is the most problematic 2 km long Kastelec tunnel which lies in direction of bora gusts and is therefore closed as I write that (but just in the direction of Ljubljana because of contra-wind).
AFAIK you have the highest wind parameters in the world which were implemented by Fakultet za gradbeništvo, a few years before. Unfortunately, DARS doesn’t have any relevant accident statistics connected with Bora. I am sure that you had several crashes due to wind gusts. Now I have wind parameters for Forth Road Bridge which has the highest parameters in UK. Btw they close the bridge at 35m/s, 2 m/s higher than we do.
It is sure that 41m/s wind gust can’t overturned a car, but it can move the car to the next traffic lane and cause a lateral accident.
geor no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
highways, motorways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium