daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 21st, 2013, 10:58 PM   #4781
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Karawankentunnel is managed by Austria and Asfinag. Don't blame Slovenia for it
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2013, 11:17 PM   #4782
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3452

True. And the waiting in Slovenia was for the Croatian border crossing. Also not Slovenia's fault? ;-) Any news on if they are going to build a highway to the Croatian border instead? Would be nice..
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 01:14 AM   #4783
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I am sorry for your waiting, but it would be waiting on the border crossing also in case of motorway. maybe a bit less... anyway, motorway is planned, but Slovenia is financially incapable.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 01:25 AM   #4784
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Build a highway already!
It is a highway.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 01:55 AM   #4785
kreden

Likes (Received): 589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
I just drove through Slovenia and also found the vignette to be quite expensive compared to for example Austria.. €30 for one month. The roads were fine (after the shitty Karawankentunnel which is a hellhole). The part that wasn't fine was the part when the A1 stopped and it turned into a regional road for about 25km's between Slovenia and Croatia.. 2 hour traffic jam.. In the heat. Awful. Build a highway already!

In the end it took me 9,5 hours from the A10 (70km North of Villach) to Pula, at the end of A9 in Croatia. Only 415km. Never again, I'll try Zagreb on the way back.
Next time don't travel on a summer weekend, the lines at the toll station in Zagreb are horrible too. There are just too many people travelling on saturdays and sundays in July and August. And like hofburg said even with the highway the border crossing will still be a bottleneck and there will be traffic jams.
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 09:57 AM   #4786
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

And again people are complaining about summer holiday weekend traffic jams. Yet there are jams all over Europe, waiting also much more than just 2 hours.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 01:17 PM   #4787
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3452

Usually I drive outside the weekends though this was impossible this year because I'm renting places instead of camping. And houses/villa's/mobile homes go from saturday > saturday (unfortunately). Will be driving North on August 3rd over Zagreb, hopefully no jams.. Any alternatives?
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 01:26 PM   #4788
KHS

Likes (Received): 928

Just make sure you use NO CASH Zagreb tolls and there should be no problems...

Most of the tourists continue on CASH ONLY tolls and end up in a 6 km long queue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
today is happening what i was talking about last week.

look at the jam at toll barrier Lučko, direction north (red frames):

and at the same time traffic at Demerje is completely fluid with no waiting times:

why aer people doing that - i really don't know. trust me, 90% of those waiting at Lučko are foreign plates. why they force to use cash is a mistery to me.
KHS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:29 PM   #4789
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Last Saturday was one of the top 3 busiest travel weekends of the year. Congestion should not be surprising. That said, motorways to the Croatian border are clearly missing links.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:43 PM   #4790
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That said, motorways to the Croatian border are clearly missing links.
True, and they'll have to wait. We need to repay motorways and expressways that were built in the past and finance new links. So also do not expect cheaper vignettes in next years. A4 missing link to Croatia is the next motorway to be built, starting construction presumably next year. H5 will be built after that. The last link will be (for now undesignated) Postojna - Jelšane motorway with the least traffic density and most construction needed, surely not before 2020.

Also Karavanke tunnel will get new tube by 2019 and much needed refurbishment, which will also cost quite some money, probably at least one half of the cost of whole H5 from Koper to Dragonja. Not to mention other necessary motorway projects in Slovenia.
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #4791
darko06

Likes (Received): 149

Can these missing links be financed from EU Cohesion funds?
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 12:30 AM   #4792
keber

Current A4 was partly financed (at about 30% of EU money), but for the new part it is not yet known. EU funds come after construction is done and they need to be approved way before.

For other links it is not known, they are too far into the future for now. No coastal expresway or motorway was cofinanced with EU money up to now.
Old July 25th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #4793
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
Karawankentunnel is managed by Austria and Asfinag. Don't blame Slovenia for it
Also the Slovenian part??? It's the first time I heard about a road managed by a company from another country (except few extraterritorial corridors like the Osimo road).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #4794
keber

Slovenian part is managed by Dars, not Asfinag. The second tube will also be built by Dars.
Actually both parts are different even in basic characteristical profile as Austrian side has invert and Slovenian not (invert is a part of a concrete tunnel tube under road surface). That made construction somehow cheaper but managing increasing deformations is now getting more and more expensive as there are every year partial closures and needs full scale renovation.

However control and safety management is common and always done from one place.
Old July 25th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #4795
darko06

Can they ASAP built first two kilometres of Koper-Dragonja expressway, to avoid one traffic light crossing and one roundabout in Koper suburbs, where evidently delays are made after Croatia entered EU?

Ni3lS liked this post
Old July 25th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #4796
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko06 View Post
Can they ...?
I don't know, we aren't Dars here.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #4797
keber

Quote:
Can they ASAP built first two kilometres of Koper-Dragonja expressway, to avoid one traffic light crossing and one roundabout in Koper suburbs, where evidently delays are made after Croatia entered EU?
Delays on those intersections were already many years before July 2013.

No they can't. There is no spatial plan approved yet, no needed land bought or detailed projects made.
Old July 25th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #4798
darko06

Thanks.
Old July 25th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #4799
cougar1989

Likes (Received): 103

I will show you some pictures from my Roadtrip trough the EU+EFTA from 15/07/13 until 19/07/13. H5 - A1 - A2

Verso, Moravian, hofburg liked this post
cougar1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #4800
keber

Quote:
Thanks.
Actually I would like to have better connection to Istria too as I'm about 5 times a year there. I believe first part to be done will be around Koper although it will be pretty difficult - aside of a H5-H6 interchange on very narrow space and a tunnel right after interchange there is also 3+3 widening of H5 planned to A1. After Koper-south exit a 2 km long tunnel is planned in flysh of Šmarje hill which could contain quite some water springs.

Tags
highways, motorways