daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #4821
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

I think using the names of compass directions does not mean anything. No one, no tourists, no local residents, no foreigners, no domestic residents use it for finding the route. They're only names, which could even be "Ljubljana Fsfertert" and "Ljubljana Tsdfsihdg", doesn't matter.
In Hungary, too: if you know that to your destination you have to leave the motorway at exit "Budaörs Nyugat", you'll find this exit by its name, no matter if you have no idea what "Nyugat" means (actually it's West).
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #4822
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i actually know there are del, eszak, nyugat and kelet in Hungarian, but i never know which one is which.
also, those north-south things were popular in the past. now i somehow feel that more popular are exits named after city quarters.
Old July 28th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #4823
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboEngine View Post

We are not Slavs
Gypsies?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #4824
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Oh no, not Gypsies again
They are pickles
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #4825
TurboEngine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

Gypsies?
No, I already said we weren't Slavs
TurboEngine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #4826
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i actually know there are del, eszak, nyugat and kelet in Hungarian, but i never know which one is which.
also, those north-south things were popular in the past. now i somehow feel that more popular are exits named after city quarters.
I only know keleti since I have been on the Keleti-station in Budapest

But people really should prepare when travelling through a country with an other language. None would like to have a compass on the signage to point it out.

And for Slovene: That language is not very difficult.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 10:38 AM   #4827
kozorog
Above-the-clouds

Likes (Received): 4294

kozorog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 10:39 AM   #4828
kozorog
Above-the-clouds

Old August 3rd, 2013, 10:40 AM   #4829
kozorog
Above-the-clouds

Old August 3rd, 2013, 10:40 AM   #4830
kozorog
Above-the-clouds

Old August 4th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #4831
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHS View Post
Just make sure you use NO CASH Zagreb tolls and there should be no problems...

Most of the tourists continue on CASH ONLY tolls and end up in a 6 km long queue...
Thanks again!! Jeez. An accident happened 200m right before us, looked really bad actually. But there was a jam of at least 10km (almost all foreign license plates) for the toll station and the bank card lanes were completely empty. That really made my day, saved us a lot of time.

I think there is confusion among many drivers because it does say bank card, but it's next to 'ENC'. It says ENC everywhere which is the telepass toll kind of thing, which foreigners can't use. I think that's why they all hop in the queue, because they aren't sure. The people that were with me in the car also didn't believe me and tried to convince me to wait.

Also drove the A4 in Slovenia towards Austria. Way better border crossing than the Koper one
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #4832
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Thanks again!! Jeez. An accident happened 200m right before us, looked really bad actually. But there was a jam of at least 10km (almost all foreign license plates) for the toll station and the bank card lanes were completely empty. That really made my day, saved us a lot of time.

I think there is confusion among many drivers because it does say bank card, but it's next to 'ENC'. It says ENC everywhere which is the telepass toll kind of thing, which foreigners can't use. I think that's why they all hop in the queue, because they aren't sure. The people that were with me in the car also didn't believe me and tried to convince me to wait.
khm. there wre debates how to sign it properly. now it is signed like this, with pictograms.
before that it was signed like this and people found it very unclear and hardly understandable.

i don't know how should it be signed to be clear and not confusing. Italians have made perfect job with their white, blue and yellow lanes. it should be done like that globally in the whole world, so you could easily know which lane colour you should follow.
Old August 12th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #4833
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Apologies for the rant...

I'm really, really, really not happy with Slovenia and her utter inability to warn people that they're entering roads where a vignette is mandatory. I've found myself twice entering roads last weeks where a vignette was mandatory without any warning or ability to turn back - that really isn't acceptable at all!

First situation :

http://goo.gl/maps/rcvxH

From the roundabout, there's a yellow sign for Maribor, like on normal roads. All fine and well, you then pass a "no left turn" sign - and when you pass the junction where left turns are banned, you reach (after about 100m) a sign informing you that a vignette is mandatory. No warning whatsoever, no ability to turn back - forcing drivers into a situation where they can be caught without a vignette without warning. There is no warning at all before that sign that you can be caught in such a way.

Second situation :

http://goo.gl/maps/bBjNk

Again, same situation. I wanted to explore the borderland area and made a mistake in turning too early (assuming that it was the road to the old Customs area). I ended up in the petrol station for the motorway - and there is absolutely no possibility to turn back as the road is blocked with heavy concrete barriers. Again - the road isn't signposted in any way, there's no sign informing you that you're headed towards the motorway and worse still, you don't actually pass a "vignette" sign at all. Yet you can't escape from the motorway service area without joining the motorway - there is absolutely no possibility to leave any other way.

Slovenia, I like you, and your supermarkets have much nicer things than Austria. But I don't like your way of handling these things - it's not fair. You can make whatever roads you want subjected to vignettes, I don't mind if you include roundabouts, certain state roads, whatever - but please, sort out your signage. I shouldn't end up on a vignette road without being informed prior to the fact - I'm not asking for Austrian style warnings on every ramp, but only a symbol on the roadsign to inform me of what I'm accessing if I go that way.

KHS liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #4834
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

yes, I already wrote that in some places normal alternative roads are not well signed, particulary in Pesnica and Skofije. (althought your second example is irrelevant I think as the paralell road to motorway is fine)

the reason for that situation is probably that when motorways were built, they were absolutely a priority and nobody cared for normal roads along them. also, vignette was introduced afterwards. there is also a situation, when motorway completely erased previous road, like Naklo-Crnivec, and now there is some paralell road, which is still nice and wide near Kranj, but then in Podtabor it suddenly becomes some local road, with some curves requiring speed lower than 30kmh.

normal road network in Slovenia needs some serious work in general. However, anyone who doesn't want to deal with these incoviniences can simply buy a vignette, it is really a game changer in terms of confort and time.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #4835
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
yes, I already wrote that in some places normal alternative roads are not well signed, particulary in Pesnica and Skofije. (althought your second example is irrelevant I think as the paralell road to motorway is fine)
No, the parallel road is fine - it's the problem caused by a right turn to the petrol station that actually leads inescapably to the motorway. If you look on the map, you can see how the road leads straight to the motorway - but it isn't signposted as such at all. There's not even a motorway sign there - just a sign with a parking symbol.

I don't have any issue with alternative roads being signed as such (in fact - I think they should be deliberately only signed to the nearest town) - but I completely object to the way that roads leading inescapably to a vignette road aren't signed as being vignette-compulsory.

Quote:
the reason for that situation is probably that when motorways were built, they were absolutely a priority and nobody cared for normal roads along them. also, vignette was introduced afterwards.
Yup, this much is obvious - you can tell that the vignette system wasn't originally planned as such. But I have no real concerns if there isn't a good parallel route - Slovenia isn't under any obligation to make it 'easy' to avoid the vignette.

Quote:
there is also a situation, when motorway completely erased previous road, like Naklo-Crnivec, and now there is some paralell road, which is still nice and wide near Kranj, but then in Podtabor it suddenly becomes some local road, with some curves requiring speed lower than 30kmh.
Makes sense to me - Slovenia wants people to buy vignettes, so the alternative route shouldn't be too easy to use.

Quote:
normal road network in Slovenia needs some serious work in general. However, anyone who doesn't want to deal with these incoviniences can simply buy a vignette, it is really a game changer in terms of confort and time.
The problem is that in my case, a vignette didn't make much sense - I was only going from Austria to Maribor - paying 15 euro for a return trip there simply wasn't worth it. I wouldn't mind paying 2 euro each way for a transit vignette, but 15 euro for that simply wasn't worth it.

I understand why the price is such and for me, it's not an issue - it's only the diabolical situation with the signage that irritates me. It seems that they are almost intentionally hoping to trap people - which is really not fair. Interestingly, in the second example I gave, you don't actually pass a sign indicating the "start of motorway" at any point.
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #4836
kreden

Likes (Received): 589

Second example is interesting, I think a service road or maybe for trucks. It is an error in the signage, all our border crossings have many little service roads that are not signed, but usually there is a way to leave the area without going on the motorway. This is probably an oversight.
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #4837
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreden View Post
Second example is interesting, I think a service road or maybe for trucks. It is an error in the signage, all our border crossings have many little service roads that are not signed, but usually there is a way to leave the area without going on the motorway. This is probably an oversight.
It is strange - the only logical explanation I have is that it's actually a service road to the service area for workers/deliveries that don't have to worry about the vignette. But there are a lack of signs indicating this - it just looks like an ordinary road. To be fair, ordinary people wouldn't have reason to go there - I only went there because I was trying to find evidence of the old Customs checkpoint there and made a wrong turning.

But then again - maybe it's just a situation that they don't control vignettes in that first section and therefore nothing to worry about. Does Slovenia have the same rule as Austria, that service areas are still under vignette regulations?
Old August 14th, 2013, 02:11 AM   #4838
kreden

Likes (Received): 589

The law says you need to have a vignette from the border line, but Dars only checks after the first sale point.
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:06 PM   #4839
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I found some early signs on the A5 (they were replaced fast). Check out "A5" on the right sign.

http://www.24ur.com/novice/slovenija...o-zastoji.html
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 07:24 AM   #4840
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

Two A5 signs?
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways