daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2014, 08:43 PM   #5181
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

If there's a queue of vehicles almost all the way to Maribor, then that's out of question. Although it's not that bad on Fridays, the road 689 turns off 6 km before the border.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2014, 09:32 PM   #5182
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
If there's a queue of vehicles almost all the way to Maribor, then that's out of question. Although it's not that bad on Fridays, the road 689 turns off 6 km before the border.
The worst I've ever seen it (Saturday afternoon in summer, what a stupid time to go to Macelj...) - the queue was back to the A4. I didn't have a map, but I used some side roads to skip most of the queue. If I'd known about Dobovec/Rogatec...

Incidentally, to the poster above - if you don't mind spending 15-20 minutes more, you can avoid the Slovenian vignette completely. If you want, I can explain the route

(Verso will now kill me for depriving DARS of much needed revenue )
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 03:16 AM   #5183
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
The worst I've ever seen it (Saturday afternoon in summer, what a stupid time to go to Macelj...) - the queue was back to the A4.
And almost the entire A4 on the worst days.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 02:05 PM   #5184
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
And almost the entire A4 on the worst days.
Interesting posts. But would Dobovec or Zavrc be the optimal alternative if Macelj is crowded ? Are these 2 borders always empty ? Propably yes, since people are not aware of them especially tourists.
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 04:42 PM   #5185
celevac

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
Interesting posts. But would Dobovec or Zavrc be the optimal alternative if Macelj is crowded ? Are these 2 borders always empty ? Propably yes, since people are not aware of them especially tourists.
Traffic coming from Zagreb towards Macelj is sometimes diverted to Dobovec border crossing at the Krapina exit in case of big traffic jams at Macelj. This actually happened to me twice last year - you had to leave the A2 in Croatia and were diverted to the D1 to Đurmanec and then D207 to Dobovec.

On that Saturday afternoon in July 2013, even at Dobovec there was a 15 minute traffic jam. Just too many tourists on their way.

You can also use Hum na Sutli/Rogatec crossing if you are a EU citizen - if Dobovec is crowded (coming from Croatia) just drive straight instead of crossing the border and follow the local road to Hum na Sutli along the border. There is practically no traffic on that border.

There is also no traffic at Zavrč, but it takes forever to pass through the villages from the border to Vara˛din. 40 km/h speed limit for most of the 25km. Don't recommend because of 60km detour and much longer driving time.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 05:03 PM   #5186
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by celevac View Post
Traffic coming from Zagreb towards Macelj is sometimes diverted to Dobovec border crossing at the Krapina exit in case of big traffic jams at Macelj. This actually happened to me twice last year - you had to leave the A2 in Croatia and were diverted to the D1 to Đurmanec and then D207 to Dobovec.

On that Saturday afternoon in July 2013, even at Dobovec there was a 15 minute traffic jam. Just too many tourists on their way.

You can also use Hum na Sutli/Rogatec crossing if you are a EU citizen - if Dobovec is crowded (coming from Croatia) just drive straight instead of crossing the border and follow the local road to Hum na Sutli along the border. There is practically no traffic on that border.

There is also no traffic at Zavrč, but it takes forever to pass through the villages from the border to Vara˛din. 40 km/h speed limit for most of the 25km. Don't recommend because of 60km detour and much longer driving time.

I see, I was more concerned the other way coming from SLO towards CRO.
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 07:49 PM   #5187
celevac

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
I know. I don't think you would have to worry about traffic at Dobovec unless all the Germans and Austrians discover that border crossing coming from SLO
Old June 22nd, 2014, 07:59 PM   #5188
Verso
Islander

There certainly aren't any detour signs for Zagreb by Maribor to continue towards Ljubljana and get off the A1 motorway at Slovenska Bistrica-jug.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 08:15 PM   #5189
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:43 PM   #5190
Eulanthe

Quote:
Are you travelling with an EU family member? If so, you can also use Rogatec/Hum na Sutli. As an aside, if you're interested in the life at the border - you can get a good coffee at a little café next to the border in Rogatec

But in general, you'll be fine with Dobovec on a Friday.

As an aside, the only time my car was searched on the SLO/HR border was at Hum na Sutli. I imagine crossing to Croatia to buy a drink, walking back into Slovenia to get my car (parked nearby) and then driving into Croatia looked strange to them

Verso - it's really so bad as to fill up the entire A4? I never go on the motorway because I can do Klodzko (PL) to Mureck (on the A/SLO border) on a single tank of fuel - so Mureck is the perfect place to fill up for the final run to the coast while avoiding the Slovenian vignette.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:51 PM   #5191
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
tank of fuel - so Mureck is the perfect place to fill up for the final run to the coast while avoiding the Slovenian vignette.
Is buying gas in Austria cheaper than in Slovenia and Croatia?
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:04 PM   #5192
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Is buying gas in Austria cheaper than in Slovenia and Croatia?
Yep, last time I was there, the difference was about 15c a litre. 45 litre tank, so what - 6.75 Euro cheaper in Austria? Combine it with saving 15 Euro for the Slovenian vignette, so it works out at saving 20 euro for spending 20 more minutes on the diversionary route. I'm also fond of the river in Mureck

As an aside, there are diversionary routes online via Maribor, but I strongly recommend against doing it. I did it last summer and it was awful - endless traffic lights in Maribor, and the road from Maribor to Ptuj took forever. In comparison, you can more or less fly through Slovenia on the Mureck-Lenart-Ptuj route.

I keep saying it, but Slovenia, introduce a 5 Euro transit vignette and I'll pay!

MichiH liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:14 PM   #5193
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Verso - it's really so bad as to fill up the entire A4?
Last year I remember it was 17 km of the A4 (30 km before the border).
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:35 PM   #5194
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Yep, last time I was there, the difference was about 15c a litre. 45 litre tank, so what - 6.75 Euro cheaper in Austria? Combine it with saving 15 Euro for the Slovenian vignette, so it works out at saving 20 euro for spending 20 more minutes on the diversionary route. I'm also fond of the river in Mureck
no way. Austria has more expensive fuel for years comparing to HR and SLO. you must have mistaken something.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:54 AM   #5195
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

am I missing something? Austria has cheap fuel, at least cheaper than Slo. you just must not use motorway's tankstelles, it more expensive there.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:59 AM   #5196
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Motorway gas stations in Austria are expensive, sometimes more expensive then gas stations in German cities. Fuel in cities or villages in Austria is cheaper then Slovenia, that is at least as I've seen it every time I drove to the 2 countries. When driving through Austria I mostly fuel up before leaving it, but last time I didn't want to loose time and I filled the tank in Novo Mesto, Slovenia.

About Croatia I didn't pay that much attention, since it's in Kunas and I had to fuel up there anyway, and 2-4 euros in vacation is not a big deal...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 02:30 AM   #5197
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Vinjeta check und transit fahrer

celevac liked this post

Last edited by Broccolli; June 23rd, 2014 at 02:39 AM.
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:53 AM   #5198
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
no way. Austria has more expensive fuel for years comparing to HR and SLO. you must have mistaken something.
http://www.e-petrol.com.pl/index.php...ices-in-europe

There you go Croatia is a bit cheaper, but my bank annoyingly converts first into Euro and then into Zloty, so it's a pain to fill up there if I don't have cash in Kuna.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 02:59 PM   #5199
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

In Austria there are hugedifferences in fuel prices between the different states. So, in Kärnten it's about 10 Cent more expensive than in Salzburg.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 04:11 PM   #5200
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

According to ÖAMTC the lowest prices for Euro 95 (Super) are in the € 1.33 - 1.36 range. That's almost a full 50 cents cheaper than the motorway gas price in the Netherlands.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways