daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 18th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #5341
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Loiblpass/Ljubelj was a major artery at that time. Waiting times up to 12 hours were a norm.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #5342
celevac

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by čarli View Post
Bad news. New minister for roads (new government will be appointed soon) says that we don't need motorway in this section.
http://www.rtvslo.si/lokalne-novice/...alozane/346603
Wondering whose politicians are worse, yours or ours...

The surface of the old road (especially the first 3 km after Draženci towards Gruškovje) has become just awful. Every time I pass that stretch (like once a month or so) I ask myself if my tires will make it to the border. Seriously, the surface is so uneven and there are potholes everywhere. You can't really see that on the picture I posted before, but whoever drove there recently knows what I mean.

They could at least fix the surface for now. Everything beyond that would be like Christmas, Easter and my birthday at the same time.

GROBIN liked this post
celevac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2014, 10:26 PM   #5343
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Last edited by Broccolli; December 4th, 2014 at 12:49 AM.
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #5344
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

One of the key pillars of EU infrastructure funding policy is to build border sections and international routes. The missing link of A4 south of Ptuj is such a motorway project. It's not like the world is demanding Slovenia to build another cross-country motorway. It's just a short missing link on an international route. Austria is doing their part of the corridor (twinning the A9 tunnels in the Alps). Croatia already finished their part, so it's up to Slovenia now
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #5345
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Croatia still needs to make second tubes of a two tunnels on A2.

Stahlsturm liked this post
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #5346
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Chris, we know all of that. In this little land it just happens that some new guy, a theoretical guy, goes directly to the ministry chair. But I'm sure that he will be quickly assured by many lobbying groups that his thoughts about "unnecessary projects" like A4 completion, third motorway axis, second railway track to coast and other projects (even if traffic numbers maybe don't justify them right in this moment).
He is however very fond to new series of hydroelectric plants on river Sava as being very urgent (they aren't though).
Let's give him some time so that he will be assured by other people and organisations that his theoretical ideas are just theoretical.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:27 PM   #5347
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

I drove on Slovenian motorways for the first time last week and I was impressed.

Just a question: I run into a couple of toll-booth style portals, where cars with vignette could get through while buses and trucks had to pay on the spot. Are they intended for automatic recognition of vignettes while driving through or is it just make-believe?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:40 PM   #5348
Karaya

Likes (Received): 752

Those toll-booth are not in use anymore and are waiting to be demolished in the future. They are obsolete since vignette system was introduced for certain vehicles. Buses and trucks still use the old toll-booth system. There are plans for electronic/satellite toll collecting system and hopefully those death-traps will be completely removed.

g.spinoza liked this post
Karaya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 11:04 PM   #5349
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Why they don't make an system where trucks and buses can use vignettes

GROBIN liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2014, 11:43 PM   #5350
Karaya

This would result in a significant loss of revenue.
Old September 24th, 2014, 03:47 PM   #5351
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaya View Post
This would result in a significant loss of revenue.
Just make vignettes for trucks and buses more expensive than those intended for cars.
Those toll gates were used until June 2008, when Slovenia used the Italian-style closed toll system for all vehicles. The Ljubljana ringroad and the stretches near national borders were free of charge, while the four major cross-country arteries (both branches of A1 and A2) were tolled.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

GROBIN liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #5352
Karaya

I believe this would be bad for our economy since vignette system clearly favors frequent motorway users. Other traffic might avoid Slovenia. Closed system is good and FAIR but some sort of electronic system would be even better (also fair).
Old September 24th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #5353
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Those toll gates were used until June 2008, when Slovenia used the Italian-style closed toll system for all vehicles.
no, not really. only A1 south of Ljubljana was in closed system. all other motorways had opened tolling system.
Old September 24th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #5354
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
no, not really. only A1 south of Ljubljana was in closed system. all other motorways had opened tolling system.
Yes, sorry. The other 3 radial motorways (LJ-ZG, LJ-MB and LJ-Karavanken) weren't completed until few years ago, so closed toll system wasn't possible.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #5355
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

you can check years of completion here. http://www.dars.si/Dokumenti/O_avtoc..._in_HC_30.aspx

I don't think the dates of openings had anything to do with open/closed toll system (maybe I am wrong). Only Ljubljana-Kozina/Dane had closed toll system. (built untill 1998)
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #5356
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaya View Post
I believe this would be bad for our economy since vignette system clearly favors frequent motorway users. Other traffic might avoid Slovenia. Closed system is good and FAIR but some sort of electronic system would be even better (also fair).
You guys can always implement a system similar to ViaToll in Poland.
After a trip by bike from Poland to Croatia in 2012 (via Lendava ), I came to Lithuania by coach. I was very surprised of the toll system for coaches & trucks on the A1 near Maribor, & I thought it was only temporary. I'm surprised Slovenia still hasn't solved this issue ...

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #5357
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

those were actually toll stations on A4 and A5
Old September 24th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #5358
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Still i think that this is half done job...
Old September 24th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #5359
Karaya

It is, we're still waiting for new (third) tender for the new toll system. After that the old toll stations will be probably demolished.
Old October 12th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #5360
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

How is the H5 project Koper - Izola progressing? I haven't heard a lot about it recently. It was supposed to be completed sometime 2014.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways