daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 28th, 2015, 01:40 PM   #5861
Lion007
Lion007

Likes (Received): 9246

Highway A4 Draženci - Podlehnik 25.12.2015 (12/12)

kozorog, celevac, SRC_100, definitivo, Shenkey liked this post
Lion007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2015, 02:57 PM   #5862
celevac

Likes (Received): 90

I'm quite surprised, parts of this section look quite advanced already, considering that construction only started 4 months ago!

Weather has been quite good this fall, very few rainy days, no snow, so I think they're on schedule!

Really looking forward to driving on this new section in 2017.
Old December 28th, 2015, 06:08 PM   #5863
darko06

Likes (Received): 148

I can't believe what my eyes are telling to me. So in 4 years there will be a full motorway between Agram and Graz.
Oops. No, it won't be. Second tubes of tunnels around Krapina will be still missing.

celevac liked this post
darko06 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #5864
celevac

Yeah, the missing second carriageway with the tunnels between Đurmanec and Krapina will definitely continue to be an issue in the summer season, but this part of the motorway is certainly less of an issue than the Slovenian section u/c right now.

Traffic jams will continue to pile up at the border (Gruškovje/Macelj) and, should Croatia ever enter Schengen (which is unlikely right now), definitely at the toll station Trakošćan, even without border controls.

The good thing, however, is that the driving time between Maribor and Zagreb will probably be some 10 minutes shorter, regardless of the missing second carriageway in Croatia.
Old December 28th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #5865
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

And please let Croatia enter Schengen before 2017. That would just be greaaat!
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 11:04 AM   #5866
celevac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
And please let Croatia enter Schengen before 2017. That would just be greaaat!
With the migrant crisis right now, this is not going to happen anytime soon. There's definitely no interest in Brussels in extending the Schengen borders right now, unfortunately.
Old December 29th, 2015, 12:03 PM   #5867
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Yea but that doesnt mean that they cant finish the paperwork and prepare the things. I cross my fingers.
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #5868
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko06 View Post
I can't believe what my eyes are telling to me. So in 4 years there will be a full motorway between Agram and Graz.
Oops. No, it won't be. Second tubes of tunnels around Krapina will be still missing.
Will be only in 2023
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 12:13 PM   #5869
čarli

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraroad View Post
Will be only in 2023
What will be in 2023?
čarli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 03:47 PM   #5870
Puležan

Likes (Received): 971

Croatian section of A2 around Krapina won't be such a problem because it's already built in half-motorway standard (one carriageway, 2 lanes + a hard shoulder, restricted access, no at grade junctions...) and it is only 3,5 km long. Bigger problem is and will be the toll station Trakoscan, which will cause traffic jams.

When Slovenian A4 is finished, the whole corridor from Zagreb to Graz will be just fine
Puležan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #5871
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by čarli View Post
What will be in 2023?
Mean the Grossglocknertunnel between SLO and A, I guess. It is an access to Graz. The second part of the tunnel to be made by 2023, according to the list of motorway openings.
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #5872
kreden

Likes (Received): 589

Quote:
Mean the Grossglocknertunnel between SLO and A, I guess. It is an access to Graz. The second part of the tunnel to be made by 2023, according to the list of motorway openings.
Do you mean the Karawanken Tunnel? That tunnel is not on the route to Graz but on the route to Salzburg.

The Grossglockner is something else, it's the tallest mountain in Austria.
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #5873
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Quote:
Originally Posted by čarli View Post
What will be in 2023?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreden View Post
Do you mean the Karawanken Tunnel? That tunnel is not on the route to Graz but on the route to Salzburg.

The Grossglockner is something else, it's the tallest mountain in Austria.
I suggest to take into consideration that @ukraroad is probably cca. 12 y old teenager writing stupidities in each thread he visit

MichiH, celevac, kreden liked this post
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 06:11 PM   #5874
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by celevac View Post
Weather has been quite good this fall, very few rainy days, no snow, so I think they're on schedule!
I could believe they may be even ahead of schedule. For me it is also really fast, even faster than in best years of Slovenian motorway construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko06 View Post
When will DARS start to build a new south carriageway between Grosuplje and Višnja Gora in Novo Mesto direction, aligned with the north carriageway? I suppose that the existing south carriageway AKA old expressway will be downgraded to a regional road, isn't it?
I'm afraid that plan for new south carriageway has been put into some very deep drawer for really some time. There are many more urgent things to do on Slovenian road and motorway network (not mentioning repaying big debts). There is more and more talk about widening the whole Ljubljana bypass and nearby connecting motorways to six lanes, especially A1 toward Postojna. Part of A2 from Grosuplje to Višnja Gora currently does not have capacity problems even if it has no climbing lane on steepest parts (which are probably the steepest on Slovenian motorway network).

Maybe they will wait until there is need for 6 lanes and construct it then as constructing new carriageway will be difficult and very expensive. Current AADT is cca 35000 in both directions with about 1,5% annual growth.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #5875
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1154

Quote:

*LOL* One of the most messed-up statements read in a very long time - so many mistakes in one line, your geography teacher would be ashamed of you

Anyhow, also the above-mentioned Karawankentunnel would not fit for 2023, it is expected to be finished 2021 according to ASFINAG (http://www.asfinag.at/unterwegs/baup...ma%C3%9Fnahmen)

kreden liked this post

Last edited by rudiwien; December 30th, 2015 at 01:18 AM.
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 10:19 PM   #5876
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
Anyhow, also not the above-mentioned Karawankentunnel would fit for 2023, it is expected to be finished 2021 according to ASFINAG (http://www.asfinag.at/unterwegs/baup...ma%C3%9Fnahmen)
Quote:
Im Anschluss an die Fertigstellung der neuen Röhre erfolgt die Sanierung der Bestandsröhre. Geplante Gesamtfertigstellung: Herbst 2023 - ab dann soll das Nadelöhr im Süden Österreichs Vergangenheit sein
The 2nd tube should be completed in 2021 but the existing tube is to be renovated till 2023. The bootleneck should be eliminated in fall 2023.

btw: the Grossglocker High Alpine Road was built 1930-1935. The tubes feature one tube only. See wikipedia.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Shenkey liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #5877
kreden

Likes (Received): 589

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Maybe they will wait until there is need for 6 lanes and construct it then as constructing new carriageway will be difficult and very expensive. Current AADT is cca 35000 in both directions with about 1,5% annual growth.
I think that is a reasonable solution. I am not sure how poor that particular section is in terms of traffic safety but according to EuroRAP it's not particularly problematic compared to the rest of the network.
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 05:05 PM   #5878
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

True, and traffic safety is being enhanced with additional guardrails and some recent repavement. I wouldn't be surprised if it would get also some type of section speed control as speeding here is probably the main cause for accidents on that section. Speed limit now is 100 km/h but it was just 60 km/h when it was opened in 1956.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 08:22 PM   #5879
darko06

Likes (Received): 148

Thank you both for answers.
However, it is impressive that the AADT here is 35000. I would expect much lower numbers.

It is still much safer and faster driving here from Agram to Parenzo than through Rijeka. Croatian A6 is being desintegrated on a few places, recent cameras on Rijeka beltway are mockery (few weeks ago I personally witnessed how traffic police put speed limit in one of tunnels there on only 40 kmh and than catch unaware drivers). The funny "half-expressway" between Matulji and Pazin is another sad tale.
darko06 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:38 PM   #5880
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by celevac View Post
Yeah, the missing second carriageway with the tunnels between Đurmanec and Krapina will definitely continue to be an issue in the summer season, but this part of the motorway is certainly less of an issue than the Slovenian section u/c right now.

Traffic jams will continue to pile up at the border (Gruškovje/Macelj) and, should Croatia ever enter Schengen (which is unlikely right now), definitely at the toll station Trakošćan, even without border controls.

The good thing, however, is that the driving time between Maribor and Zagreb will probably be some 10 minutes shorter, regardless of the missing second carriageway in Croatia.
Someone should really bash Croatian and Slovenian heads together and come up with a more viable solution for the A4/A2 corridor. Once (if...) Croatia joins Schengen, it will mean three stops needed for tourists within 120km - on an all-motorway route. A corridor vignette (say 10 Euro - 5 to Croatia, 5 to Slovenia - meaning around 0,08EUR/km) could make a lot of sense, but that would require common sense there, which is always in short supply
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways