daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2016, 02:11 PM   #6141
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreden View Post
Good news regarding the e-tolling tender! The appeals have been rejected by the National Review Commission and Q-Free and Telekom Slovenije will be awarded with the contract. This is the closest Dars has ever been to actually implementing electronic tolling for heavy vehicles, all the previous tenders have failed.
And more than ever, we need the EU to force through a unified system for e-tolling. There's a complete mess now with some countries using pretty painless systems (Poland/Slovakia), others using more complicated technology, and each country has different requirements.

I'm just thinking now about a Lithuanian company that gets a one-off order to deliver something in Vienna and then in Zagreb. They would need to get boxes for PL, CZ, A and SLO - each time having to stop and deposit cash at the border to get the box, then get it returned on the way home. That's six completely unnecessary stops, when it should be perfectly realistic for them to agree one contract with Poland's ViaToll and for it to be usable in all the other countries without any fuss.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2016, 03:21 PM   #6142
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
And more than ever, we need the EU to force through a unified system for e-tolling.
Why not the UNECE? It's not like they aren't the main (global) body dealing with international agreements on transport.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2016, 10:56 PM   #6143
Solčavec
Tu pa tam

Likes (Received): 953

Northern Ljubljana bypass(H3), renovation and expansion of emergency lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by popaj13 View Post
Slikano z nadvoza Dunajske ceste

Solčavec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #6144
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Emergency lanes were already 3.75 m wide.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2016, 10:06 AM   #6145
Solčavec
Tu pa tam

Quote:
Obnova, ki bo zaključena v sredini septembra, bo vključevala širitev vozišča ob zunanjem robu za vzpostavitev zapore C2+2 (dva začasna vozna pasova v vsako smer na enem smernem vozišču,..
https://www.dars.si/Novice/Obnova_se...nice_1455.aspx
Old August 7th, 2016, 02:25 PM   #6146
Verso
Islander

I don't know, it doesn't look any wider to me.
Old August 7th, 2016, 05:07 PM   #6147
kreden

Likes (Received): 589

That sentence doesn't make sense. It implies that they will widen the carriageway to allow four lanes of traffic per carriageway during roadworks, but while they were working on renovating the first carriageway, there already was a 2+2 lane regime on the other, unrenovated one. If they indeed performed any widening at all, it must have been minimal.
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2016, 05:21 PM   #6148
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Well, renovation that includes a slight widening of the carriageway to operate a proper 4-0 system during future road works are not uncommon. They're doing that on D1 in Czechia too.

Germany has some problems with 4-0 systems, they include very narrow lanes with a lot of accidents and congestion with a 60 km/h speed limit. Dutch 4-0 systems usually allow 90 km/h and sometimes even 100 km/h.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Solčavec, Attus liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 01:59 AM   #6149
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Same in the Netherlands, where they use drainage asphalt everywhere. You can still drive 130 km/h even during heavy rain, because there is almost no spray.

The worst is concrete, a while ago I was driving from Cloppenburg to Bremen, which is a concrete Autobahn and the rain wasn't even that bad, but there was almost no visibility due to the heavy spray, and the speed went down to 60 km/h.
Only visibility is much better, road surface is still wet. In Italy they keep 110 km/h limit with pioggia.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 10:53 AM   #6150
Solčavec
Tu pa tam

Reconstruction A1, Šempeter-Arja vas(6,5km), expansion of emergency lane, upgrading carriageway, due to the annual increase of freight traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion007 View Post

Last edited by Solčavec; August 8th, 2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old August 17th, 2016, 11:48 AM   #6151
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3975

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFrost View Post
The Slovenian Riviera is beautiful. Its the first time i've been there. Just dont use road 111 to Portoroz. Stood there for almost an hour because of a traffic jam.
Next Sunday I'll drive from Trieste to Rovinj (Croatia) and I've planned to spend some time visiting Piran. Is there any good alternative to road 111 between Piran and the Croatian border?

On the other hand, Saturday next week I'll drive from Bled to Trieste airport, and as my flight departs late in the evening I've thought about going via the Vršič pass and the Soča valley instead of going via Ljubljana. I've read that the road is very scenic, so I hope it's worth the detour. Is the Vršič pass road challenging to drive?

Thanks!

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 01:01 PM   #6152
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Vrsic is not really challenging, there just a lot (and I mean a lot) of hairpin turns. But the road is in good condition and no real challenge with normal car. And it's not really a detour, you will only need longer. Go for it! It's worth the drive

arctic_carlos liked this post
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 03:24 PM   #6153
kreden

Likes (Received): 589

The Vrsic Pass is a very scenic road, definitely worth the drive.

There are no worthwhile alternatives to the 111 between Piran and the Sečovlje border crossing, there's the 11 running from Koper to the border at Dragonja, which you could reach from Piran by local roads, but if there are queues on the 111, the 11 is probably very busy, too.

arctic_carlos liked this post
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2016, 02:38 PM   #6154
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Very long delays were reported yesterday at the Karavanke Tunnel. Official reports talked about 2.5 hours waiting time, but a Dutch guy said it took him 4 hours and 15 minutes to get through the tunnel, also due to Austrian border checks.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2016, 05:44 PM   #6155
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Yea its a hell. Same shit at HU-A point at hegyeshalom.
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2016, 12:19 AM   #6156
junky

Likes (Received): 326

On Ö3 (radiostation in Austria) they reported waiting time from 1 to 2 hours today. At 22u it was still 2 hours.
junky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2016, 04:05 PM   #6157
Verso
Islander

Again a long traffic jam has occured on the A1 between Logatec and Vrhnika due to a traffic accident where one person died. I happened to drive there shortly after the accident happened. A truck drove off the road and burnt down. There was no police, firefighters or ambulance there yet (I saw them later near Ljubljana). Some people stopped, but I didn't, because I didn't wanna see dead people.

http://www.zurnal24.si/primorka-je-zaprta-clanek-276436 (not my photo)
Old August 23rd, 2016, 12:51 AM   #6158
celevac

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Again a long traffic jam has occured on the A1 between Logatec and Vrhnika due to a traffic accident where one person died. I happened to drive there shortly after the accident happened. A truck drove off the road and burnt down. There was no police, firefighters or ambulance there yet (I saw them later near Ljubljana). Some people stopped, but I didn't, because I didn't wanna see dead people.
Yes, must have been really bad. I happened to be in Slovenia this afternoon and they were talking about a 17 km traffic jam after the accident. Also, heavy traffic was reported at Karavanke again - I guess they are taking the border control more seriously now on the Austrian side.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 01:20 AM   #6159
Verso
Islander

It was bad, but it could be even worse, because the truck crashed into a tanker truck, so you can imagine the eventual explosion. It could even damage the Ljubljana-Koper railway, which was very close. The road surface was filled with debris that we had to drive over.

http://www.zurnal24.si/primorka-je-zaprta-clanek-276436
Old August 23rd, 2016, 10:45 AM   #6160
Solčavec
Tu pa tam

Verso, Zeeshan Ahmad 37 liked this post

Tags
highways, motorways