daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 3rd, 2017, 04:21 PM   #6261
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

15 € for 5 minutes for any expressway or motorway travel is outrageous - but there are numerous such section all over Europe.
Vignettes have their own pluses. Motorways and expressways are still made for domestic travel in the first place.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2017, 04:55 PM   #6262
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

It's too easy to dismiss a legitimate concern of € 15 for 5 minutes of travel with 'motorways are chiefly for domestic travel' or 'there are other locations like this too'.

It's just a cash cow, they should do what Austria had for A14 near Bregenz, a corridor vignette, of say € 3 and valid one day for that section of H5-A1 from the Italian border to Koper. Which you can purchase at a ticket machine so you don't have to get out of the car. Instead of a vignette, you receive a receipt to show to DARS if checked. Another option is to scan the license plate while purchasing the corridor vignette so it can be enforced by automatic scanners along H5 like the vignette.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

arctic_carlos, Gedeon liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 07:57 PM   #6263
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Good!
At that time I though Izola bypass was under vignette too, while it's not.
Markovec tunnel was still to be opened.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 01:36 AM   #6264
Gedeon

Likes (Received): 12472

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's too easy to dismiss a legitimate concern of € 15 for 5 minutes of travel with 'motorways are chiefly for domestic travel' or 'there are other locations like this too'.

It's just a cash cow, they should do what Austria had for A14 near Bregenz, a corridor vignette, of say € 3 and valid one day for that section of H5-A1 from the Italian border to Koper. Which you can purchase at a ticket machine so you don't have to get out of the car. Instead of a vignette, you receive a receipt to show to DARS if checked. Another option is to scan the license plate while purchasing the corridor vignette so it can be enforced by automatic scanners along H5 like the vignette.
Well, they won't do that because they want to profit on clueless tourists heading to Croatia.

Shenkey liked this post
Gedeon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 02:04 AM   #6265
Karaya

Likes (Received): 752

The vignette is only the beginning. When they finally reach Croatia, they get the whole new perspective on tourist preying.
Old February 4th, 2017, 04:49 PM   #6266
keber

Anyway, no local vignettes will be introduced in short term. There is no justified reason for doing that.
Old February 4th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #6267
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A toll of € 15 for 5 minutes of travel on a major international corridor used by many tourists and other traffic is reason enough to me. The toll is completely out of proportion.

Of course, this is inherent to a flat-fee pricing structure like a vignette, but the problem of overpriced travel is almost nowhere as pronounced as on this corridor.
Old February 4th, 2017, 05:34 PM   #6268
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9099

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
it's not easy to find the old road just after border crossing. There is a need to drive through a petrol station, as far, as I remember.
AFAIR it's necessary to leave the motorway in Austria yet. Such an information is quite precisely written at Polish sites about travelling to Croatia. But I guess the cost of Slovenian vignette is just another necessary part of entire cost of travel to Croatia. Actually I had the same dilemma last year, but then decided to reach Pula by Slovenian A1 (not by Ptuj, Zagreb and Rijeka), so the vignette was needed... and then realized that one has to pay almost a half of the weekly Slovenian vignette just for one travel through the Istra! It was €6,50 or so and as for it I used the old national road while coming back. So is this such an expensive thing? I don't think so. It might seem to be much more expensive than Austrian one... but if someone decide to go through Karawankentunnel or Tauernautobahn, then travelling through Slovenia seems to be a paradise of cheapness.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.

Karaya, Shenkey liked this post
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 06:28 PM   #6269
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajKeR_ View Post
AFAIR it's necessary to leave the motorway in Austria yet.
Border crossing Škofije lies on the border with Italy, not Austria (between Koper and Trieste).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 06:30 PM   #6270
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9099

I meant travelling from Graz to Croatia, whatever

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 08:29 PM   #6271
Verso
Islander

Then in Austria, yes (Spielfeld).
Old February 7th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #6272
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
it's not easy to find the old road just after border crossing. There is a need to drive through a petrol station, as far, as I remember.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Border crossing Škofije lies on the border with Italy, not Austria (between Koper and Trieste).
It lies there, indeed. Here it is

Verso liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 05:57 PM   #6273
Verso
Islander

Interesting, stairs in the middle of the H5 expressway.
Old February 8th, 2017, 11:40 PM   #6274
piotr71

I have seen very similar stairs on Belgian N4. Wait, have some pics somewhere...
Old February 25th, 2017, 07:42 PM   #6275
keber

DARS motorway company has issued a map of 126 tolling points on new free-flow tolling system for vehicles above 3.5 t, involving DSRC microwave technology, similar to Austrian, but (of course) not compatible.

https://www.dars.si/Novice/Nadaljeva...tema_1562.aspx
yellow points are locations of tolling portals
red points are locations of toll control portals - they should register vehicles that are not correctly tolled.

Works are already in progress with portal foundations, new guardrails and cables. In next few days first two portals will be erected, primarily for testing purposes. Other portals will follow in next three months. Cost of developing, building and maintaining the whole system for 10 years will be 90,6 million euro.

Tolling will commence in beginning 2018.

roaddor liked this post
Old February 25th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #6276
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's been almost 8 years since I've been to Slovenia, are there still toll gates on the motorways from the previous tolling system?
Old February 25th, 2017, 09:18 PM   #6277
keber

They are still here for trucks but they are not major obstacle to other traffic as some tollbooths were removed in the middle, like here:
https://www.google.si/maps/@46.00568...2!8i6656?hl=sl
Old February 25th, 2017, 09:31 PM   #6278
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Right. When I visited in 2009, they were still like this:

This was on A1 between Ljubljana and Maribor (I suppose it's not the typical motorway many Dutch tourists use).
Old February 26th, 2017, 01:22 AM   #6279
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Exactly. The day I did a daytrip to visit Koper, Izola, Piran and Portoroz (all in a day), I bought the vignette because I figured I would have spent too much time to navigate along local roads. Unfortunately there's no a single parallel road, but you have to travel through unsigned local streets.
by now all Triestini already figured out that petrol station. with bonifika bypass opened, the road now is pretty straight forward, there are even two variants now, the other one being along the H5. but I agree it still needs improvement, also in signage.

Quote:
it is mostly still like that. the time flies slowly here
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #6280
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
http://i.imgur.com/oPOqmNG.jpg

This was on A1 between Ljubljana and Maribor (I suppose it's not the typical motorway many Dutch tourists use).
this one (Vransko, if i'm not wrong) is one of limited barriers considering the number of lanes, so they have left one lane changeble (on your photo it is for >3,5t traffic, and sometimes it changes on <3,5t traffic). similar situation is at Pesnica.
the only one that can be refurbished reagarding the space and capacity, and it still isn't, is Krško.

Tags
highways, motorways