daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #6461
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

in Austria they are also forcing moving to the shoulder lane, but frankly, in reality i have never experienced it, cars were always been moving to the edge of rightmost lane.

Verso liked this post
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2017, 02:31 AM   #6462
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
When they are coming is usually already too late to move. How can a truck move to the right when all the vehicles are already stopped and stacked together?
Vehicles (particularly trucks) shouldn't be stopped so close to each other so they can't move. And if the vehicle in front of you moves a bit, it gives you even more space to move.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 10:41 PM   #6463
Festin
Changeable constant

Likes (Received): 1458

Something I have not noticed before was that almost in all traffic jams across europe, people were driving at far right or far left depending on lane. Thus when an emergency vehicle were coming they had already made space, instead of waiting to see if any would show up before making space.

Seemed like a good solution and it also blocked people from switching lane a bit.
Old October 18th, 2017, 03:27 PM   #6464
kreden

Likes (Received): 589

The newly-completed section of the A4 between Draženci and Podlehnik will require a vignette from November 23 onwards.
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #6465
celevac

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreden View Post
The newly-completed section of the A4 between Draženci and Podlehnik will require a vignette from November 23 onwards.
Which means the section will definitely be ready by November 23? I suppose even earlier, but we'll see.
Old October 19th, 2017, 12:37 PM   #6466
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by celevac View Post
Which means the section will definitely be ready by November 23? I suppose even earlier, but we'll see.
Too early Christmas gift.
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 06:21 PM   #6467
kreden

Quote:
Originally Posted by celevac View Post
It appears so. The government needs to officially add it to the toll network and the proposed decree has an effective date of November 23. I'm no expert but given that the works are practically completed, I think it's realistic.

celevac liked this post
Old October 20th, 2017, 06:18 PM   #6468
Slovenia_

Likes (Received): 58

On slovenian motorways will be next year introduce more secion controls also know as tutor sistem.

Trojane section will be covert in both ways and some other part of motorway between
- Maribor - Ljubljana (A1)
- Ljubljana- Koper (A1)
- Ljubljana - Zagreb (A2).

Detail list will be known at end of this month.
Slovenia_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 12:55 PM   #6469
kreden

Dars has published the list of sections that will be covered by average speed cameras:

- A1 Ljubljana - Maribor, over Trojane Pass, from the entrance to Podmilj Tunnel to the exit of Ločica Tunnel, in both directions (by mid-2018) - location
- A1 Ljubljana - Koper, between Logatec and Postojna, southbound (by late 2018) - location
- A2 Ljubljana - Novo mesto, between Grosuplje and Višnja Gora, eastbound (by late 2018) - location
- A1 in the Celje area, between Dramlje and Celje west, westbound (by mid-2019) - location
- A1 Ljubljana - Koper, between Brezovica and Vrhnika, in both directions (by mid-2019, pending removal of Log toll station) - location

After all cameras are installed, a significant part of the A1 will be covered by speed cameras, either average speed or regular.

hofburg liked this post
Old November 7th, 2017, 06:01 PM   #6470
Solčavec
Tu pa tam

Likes (Received): 953

A1, reconstruction, section Ravbarkomanda-Unec / 7 km.

https://siol.net/novice/slovenija/mn...i-video-452625

Luki_SL, SRC_100 liked this post
Solčavec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 12:32 AM   #6471
darko06

Likes (Received): 149

Maybe someone will find this relevant.
For another reason I'm just looking into the Official Gazette of The People's Republic of Slovenia, year 1947.
In number 31, issued on August 2nd, 1947, there is the so-called "Five Year Plan Law" (Zakon o petletnem planu ... 1947-1951). In the article 16, under the name "Roads" the sub-article 4 clearly says: "Put into the reconsideration of the federal road program the (building of) the Autostrada (literally!) Ljubljana - Zagreb and the reconstruction of the road Postojna - Maribor, etc." (In Slovenian: 4. Izvršiti v dopolnitev zveznega cestnega programa avtostrade Ljubljana-Zagreb in modernizacije ceste Postojna-Maribor (itn.)).

Therefore it seems that the Slovenian road cross was determined in the year 1947, and the original Slovenian term for the motorway/expressway is Avtostrada (Italian: Autostrada!).
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 12:54 AM   #6472
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Italy was (although arguabily) the first country to have roads restricted to motor vehicles, so initially the term autostrada was used for similar project abroad. However, considering the political situation is quite weird that Yugoslavia used the Italian term in 1947.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

darko06 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 01:38 AM   #6473
Verso
Islander

Reminds me of Tito when he drove on the Brotherhood and Unity Highway and said: "This isn't an autostrada, it's strada auto." ("car suffers" in Serbo-Croatian)

JackFrost liked this post
Old November 18th, 2017, 10:56 AM   #6474
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

It is necessary to know, that after WW2 there were literally no paved roads in Slovenia except in some towns and cities and few exceptions like Ljubljana-Kranj. But some good roads were already constructed by Mussolini west of Postojna.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 03:16 PM   #6475
darko06

The Wehrmacht paved during the WWII the road from Spielfeld/Šentilj, through Maribor, Ptuj, Ormož (?) up to Varaždin, with the planned pavement up to Zagreb, I think.

And of course, the road from the center of Ljubljana to Škofljica was already paved before the WWII, why would otherwise the old expressway (the Avtostrada) Zagreb-Ljubljana end in Škofljica.

BTW, I think that the widening of Šmarje-Sap exit wasn't such a good idea. The entrance to Ljubljana and the exit from Ljubljana ends/begins literally at the end of the tunnel Šmarje-Sap. But we shall see. I expect delays in the rushhours up to the OMV gas station, and of course probable limit of 80 kmh on the motorway in the wider Šmarje-Sap exit.

Last edited by darko06; November 18th, 2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old November 18th, 2017, 04:17 PM   #6476
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Reminds me of Tito when he drove on the Brotherhood and Unity Highway and said: "This isn't an autostrada, it's strada auto." ("car suffers" in Serbo-Croatian)
Was there any square named after him in LJ?
In this photo you may see that he visited one of the places named after him.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 08:52 PM   #6477
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko06 View Post
And of course, the road from the center of Ljubljana to Škofljica was already paved before the WWII, why would otherwise the old expressway (the Avtostrada) Zagreb-Ljubljana end in Škofljica.
Maybe because they needed to build two tunnels on the motorway in 1992.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Was there any square named after him in LJ?
No. The photo was taken on the Tito Road (Titova cesta) in central Ljubljana, which is now called Slovenska cesta (and the much longer part outside the city-centre is now Dunajska cesta).
Old November 19th, 2017, 03:55 PM   #6478
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko06 View Post
BTW, I think that the widening of Šmarje-Sap exit wasn't such a good idea. The entrance to Ljubljana and the exit from Ljubljana ends/begins literally at the end of the tunnel Šmarje-Sap. But we shall see. I expect delays in the rushhours up to the OMV gas station, and of course probable limit of 80 kmh on the motorway in the wider Šmarje-Sap exit.
Start&stop traffic in morning rushhours often begins before Grosuplje east exit, sometimes even few kilometers after Višnja Gora exit (for example on rainy Monday morning). That was happening even before new exit was opened. Problem is that Ljubljana bypass cannot handle so much traffic. Some unofficial figures show that traffic has dramatically intensified in last year or two.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 02:32 AM   #6479
Verso
Islander

It has, everyone who drives there in rush hours can see that. The worst has become the eastern bypass, which is entirely gridlocked southbound.
Old November 20th, 2017, 03:01 AM   #6480
darko06

I would suggest the building of third lane in both directions from the interchange Kozarje to the interchange Malence, i.e. the southern part of the beltway. And probably the third line from the interchange Kozarje to exit Brezovica on the A1. I suppose that the removal of the toll ramp Log will improve the flow on Kozarje-Vrhnika section.

Have been driving on refurbished, yet unopened section Unec-Postojna. It seems that the alignment is similar as in Germany, i.e. two driving lanes and the hard shoulder which is as wide as regular lane, therefore this section will have three lanes in rush-hours. Although, the whole concept may fell because the viaduct Ravbarkomanda was not widened enough (I suppose that it was impossible because of some structural reason).

Tags
highways, motorways