daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 24th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #641
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
so H roads will require sticker too it really bad especially this one in Maribor. it looks more as city road then as interregional motorway
I think it will be safe to use H2 without vignette as there is no space for police to stop anyone. Road is also very windy so any attempt to stop anyone would be extremely dangerous. Motorway A1 (Sentilj-Pesnica) won't be safe to use as I think authorities will use toll booths to control drivers during summer jams.

Bypass road from roundabout at end of H2 to Sentilj is nice and fast but beware od speed traps. Bypass road is less than 5 minutes longer than motorway.
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #642
edolen1
Monkey business

But some H-roads had to be paid now as well. The toll booth in Pesnica charged you for H2 as well, there is Bazara on H4, and Nanos is probably going to become a lot more expensive once the H4 connects to it.
edolen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #643
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijanec View Post
I think it will be safe to use H2 without vignette as there is no space for police to stop anyone. Road is also very windy so any attempt to stop anyone would be extremely dangerous.
If there's a razzia, everyone has to stop. How else do you think they will know who has it and who doesn't? You can't see it from afar.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #644
edolen1
Monkey business

From what I've seen in Austria, they usually do it on exits, so maybe that's where they'll be doing it, maybe also at rest areas?
Old March 24th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #645
Verso
Islander

They also do it in the middle of motorways.
Old March 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #646
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i saw it at rest areas in Hungary
Old March 24th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #647
edolen1
Monkey business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
They also do it in the middle of motorways.
Wow, I've never encountered that, must really hold up the traffic..
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #648
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i saw it at rest areas in Hungary
On M3:
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #649
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

If the goal is 100% electronic tolling, why not just place transponder readers on all of the motorway entrances and exits and charge for what is used 'ticket' tollway style? Some North American systems, like Ontario 407, will also read plates and send bills for those without transponders (ON 407 charges the toll plus a small service fee for 'no transponder' vehicles). The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is also thinking of setting up a similar system for their NYC area river crossings.

I would think that that would be the simplest and least-expensive way of doing it and that would also make it easy to give 'frequent user' discounts to the locals.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #650
pijanec

Quote:
Originally Posted by edolen1 View Post
From what I've seen in Austria, they usually do it on exits, so maybe that's where they'll be doing it, maybe also at rest areas?
There is no rest areas at H2. On only 1! exit there is a space which can police use it but this exit is never used by tourists. And I am sure they won't close main city route for checking vignettes, especially not in summer as this would cause huge traffic jams and they would probably need at least 100 cops to write down all those offenders
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #651
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
If the goal is 100% electronic tolling, why not just place transponder readers on all of the motorway entrances and exits and charge for what is used 'ticket' tollway style? Some North American systems, like Ontario 407, will also read plates and send bills for those without transponders (ON 407 charges the toll plus a small service fee for 'no transponder' vehicles). The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is also thinking of setting up a similar system for their NYC area river crossings.

I would think that that would be the simplest and least-expensive way of doing it and that would also make it easy to give 'frequent user' discounts to the locals.

Mike
Who talks about electronic tolling?Those are licence-plate reading cameras...
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #652
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Who talks about electronic tolling?Those are licence-plate reading cameras...
I was referring to those plans for satellite-based tolling to replace the vignettes (window stickers), barrier tollgates and so forth.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #653
edolen1
Monkey business

Satellite tolling was chosen instead of that (the other options were that and a GSM system) because it can then be applied to normal roads as well and you would get a system where you paid as much as you drove, not like now, when we have tax for it (whether you drive 100 km per year or 100,000).
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #654
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by edolen1 View Post
Satellite tolling was chosen instead of that (the other options were that and a GSM system) because it can then be applied to normal roads as well and you would get a system where you paid as much as you drove, not like now, when we have tax for it (whether you drive 100 km per year or 100,000).
There is a perfectly fine tolling system for distances people drive, it's called fuel taxes. Who drives more, pays more taxes. Works perfectly fine. Other tollings on top of that are more or less a way to rip off motorists even more.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #655
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Other tollings on top of that are more or less a way to rip off motorists even more.
It can be justified in the case of motorways(as it is justified to pay more for IC trains),but not for ordinary roads...
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #656
edolen1
Monkey business

That's what I read in an article a while ago..

Personally I am not a big fan of this satellite tolling thing, nor the vignette the way it's being done now, I'd just make it all electronic (like Austria has for trucks) and that's it.
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #657
Tauernautobahn

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijanec View Post
There is no rest areas at H2. On only 1! exit there is a space which can police use it but this exit is never used by tourists. And I am sure they won't close main city route for checking vignettes, especially not in summer as this would cause huge traffic jams and they would probably need at least 100 cops to write down all those offenders
maybe they're gonna introduce a system like on the A23 in Vienna with cameras that take pictures of the Numberplate and of the front window of the cars
Tauernautobahn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #658
urbane

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

Sth is clear: a vignette would have to be extremely cheap to satisfy people in transit between Graz and Zagreb or Trieste and Pula, which is of course out of question. That's why I suggest exempting these particular sections, or at least the mentioned expressways. After all, no one in Slovenia wants to look at transit flowing through the middle of Maribor or getting lost around Koper. I bet there will also be many "stowaways". But all these measures would destroy the government's plans about ripping off transit.
Indeed, for short trips I would certainly avoid the expressway and H5 (Trieste's newspaper wrote that it would apply to the future extension Capodistria/Koper-Isola/Izola) if this absurd minimum-period of 6 months is used for the vignette
urbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 02:21 AM   #659
Verso
Islander

^ I don't get it about that future extension. At least there's a decent-signed 2-lane road between the two mentioned towns (and they are very close). I'd worry more about getting to Koper/Capodistria.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #660
urbane

Likes (Received): 82

Of course getting to Koper is the 1st issue, however, the newspaper made it seem that they were going to extend the H5 to Isola/Izola, thus I suppose widening the road there and making it part of the vignette system
If that's the case it would become a concern to those traveling not only to Isola/Izola, but also to Pirano/Piran, or Portorose/Portoroz.
urbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways